Turnoff parantheses in APA citation

Work 07 puts parantheses around all APA-style citations even when they begin
a sentence ("Tsui and O'Reilly (1989) conclude...") or are part of a list.
Is there a way to change XSL to stop this?

Patience is a virtue. You don't have to ask the same question 3 times, just
wait till someone comes along who can answer it.

<the following is copy/pasted from my original reply>

There is no on/off switch for the brackets. Your choices are to either keep
them, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove them for all
instances, you will have to edit the style by hand.

The short version: http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ
(especially 6 and 8 are useful)

The long version (in case you don't know XSL):

The styles are located in the

  <winword.exe>\Bibliography\Style

directory. Assuming a normal 32-bit OS with a default Office 2007
installation, that directory is

  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography\Style

The style you want to edit is located in APA.XSL. Create a copy of the file
and name it MyAPA.XSL. Open the file with a text editor (notepad, ...) and
look for the following lines:

  <xsl:when test="b:OfficeStyleKey">
    <xsl:text>APA</xsl:text>
  </xsl:when>

and change it to

  <xsl:when test="b:StyleName">
    <xsl:text>APA without brackets</xsl:text>
  </xsl:when>

Now when you start Word, there will be an extra style in the dropdown list,
labeled "APA without brackets".

Next you want to remove the brackets. Look for

  <xsl:if
test="msxsl:node-set($ListPopulatedWithMain)/b:Citation/b:FirstAuthor">
    <xsl:call-template name="templ_prop_OpenBracket"/>
  </xsl:if>

and remove it. This will remove the opening bracket. Then look for

  <xsl:if test="/b:Citation/b:LastAuthor">
    <xsl:call-template name="templ_prop_CloseBracket"/>
  </xsl:if>

and remove it. This will remove the closing bracket. You should be all set
now.

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com

"Jonny99" <Jonny99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Work 07 puts parantheses around all APA-style citations even when they
> begin
> a sentence ("Tsui and O'Reilly (1989) conclude...") or are part of a list.
> Is there a way to change XSL to stop this?

1
Yves

APA Headings
I would like to find or create a style document for an APA formatted document that work with a Table of Contents. Levels 3-5 of APA have the heading inline with the paragraph text. For example This is the heading. Followed by the paragraph text that goes on and on and on etc. It seems that the heading styles only allow for paragraph headings - that is they automatically insert a new paragraph after the heading - so if I highlight "This is the heading." above and apply the heading style it automatically sticks in a new paragraph which doesn't match APA. A...

Turnoff parantheses in APA citation
Work 07 puts parantheses around all APA-style citations even when they begin a sentence ("Tsui and O'Reilly (1989) conclude...") or are part of a list. Is there a way to change XSL to stop this? Patience is a virtue. You don't have to ask the same question 3 times, just wait till someone comes along who can answer it. <the following is copy/pasted from my original reply> There is no on/off switch for the brackets. Your choices are to either keep them, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove them for all instances, you will have to edit the st...

Balloons appearing under Standby, Turnoff, Restart
I certainly did something to cause this, but now, I have a help balloon appearing under the three Options that come up when I choose Turn Off Computer in the Start Menu (XP, SP3). They explain each of them. No big deal, but I do not really need those explanations :-). How do I get rid of them? Must be simple, but where ? Thanks -- John Doue "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uS5smbDxKHA.4636@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I certainly did something to cause this, but now, I have a help balloon >appearing under the three Options that...

How do I get rid of the parantheses in APA style citations?
I would like the APA style citations in the body of the paper to now automatically show parantheses on either side of the author and title. Otherwise the whole bibliography feature is useless. Any ideas? There is no on/off switch for the brackets. Your choices are to either keep them, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove them for all instances, you will have to edit the style by hand. The short version: http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ (especially 6 and 8 are useful) The long version (in case you don't know XSL): The styles are located in th...

How do I change settings for citation manager?
I am using Word 2007 and I am working on a research paper. I have selected APA as the format for the citation manager, but it is not updated for the most recent version. For example, even though I put two authors when I insert a new source, the citation still only lists one author when I need both to be there. Also, if there are multiple sources that confirm one point I'm making, I need to list all the sources alphabetically within one set of parentheses and I would like to adjust the citation manager settings to allow me to do that. Is there any way to go about that? ...

Use of parantheses (Layout)
Hi, I have a column of number that I would like to add parantheses, the problem is that when I change the format the numbers the negative numbers appear as -(3) instead of (-3). Is there a way to have the negative sign between the parantheses? Thanks, Eric This might be your solution. In Cell B1, enter (and copy down) ="("&A1&")" where A1 contains the number that you want to be i parentheses. Eric Wrote: > Hi, > > I have a column of number that I would like to add > parantheses, the problem is that when I change the format > the numbers ...

References and Citations
I have microsoft home and student, and my Manage Sources, Style and Bibliography are all shaded grey and i cant use them! I have to work cite my paper due in two days but i cant insert a citation!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!! ...

APA conversion
I have a paper with bibliography that is not APA. I need to convert them into APA format. How do I copy and past my information so I could create an APA formatted bib without typing all my bib over again? ...

MLA citation changes
Is there going to be an update for Office 7 to incorporate the changes that have been made in the manner citations, etc. are handled in MLA, APA, etc. Without an update, Office 7 is now obsolete in formatting research citations. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in...

Format: enclose content of cells in parantheses
Hi there, Is there an easy way to automatically format the contents of the cell in any given column so that the content (text and numbers) are enclosed in parentheses? So, for example, 'random info' becomes ('random info')? Thanks, lamasoft Maybe you could use a column with formulas like: =if(a1="","","("&a1&")") And copy down the column. Then select that column Edit|copy edit|Paste special|values and delete the original column. awkwardpause101@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi there, > > Is there an easy way to auto...

Word Bibliography and Citations

APA updates
I had word set up to remind me to not double space and other APA format issues but now they have changed it and I am not getting any "reminders" anymore. Is there an update coming with the new guidelines on formatting the document? I spent 17 months relearning to not double space after a period now I have to re relearn to double space again. The templates I have seen only address setting up the basics of the paper not the "nitty gritty" of the little details. Help please. ...

APA STYLE
I HAVE BEEN USEING THE APA STYLE WITH MY PC AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE IT ON MY NEW MAC BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND THAT IT IS A TRUE APA STYLE. MAYBE I AM MISSING SOMETHING IS THIER ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ON FORMAT, AND REFERENCES USE WITH THIS PROGRAM? IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE THE NEW COMPUTER TO WRITE MY PAPERS.<br> MAHALO, CONNIE Hi Connie, Typing in all caps is interpreted on the web as YELLING, and so it's a bit rude. It's also quite difficult to read. What version of Word are you using? Do you mean the citation manager, that generates citations for you, doesn't seem t...

APA Style Citations
I am using the references feature and set to the APA style. When I try to add a citation for a paper with the same author as another paper, I am getting the title of the paper in the citation. The years of the paper are different. How can I get rid of this unnecessary title in the citation itself. You can try suppressing the title by right clicking on the citation in your document and selecting "Edit Citation...". But the APA style supported by Word isn't really fully APA compliant. Yves -- BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles http://b...

citation font
For the past few days, any APA citation I insert into my document is italicized. It never used to be, and I don't know how to change it. I use the bibliography/works cited tool, so the only way I know to work around this is to stop using the tool. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use MSoffice 2007 on Vista right now, but it has happened in Windows 7 as well. I have had the same issue with custom made reference styles but never with the ones that came with Word. In my case, it had to do with the fact that the in-text citation was, due to some weird conversion reaso...

APA Style Template

Need a Header in APA Format
I can create a header with a title aligned to the left, but when I want to put the page no. on the same line as the title aligned to the right, the page no. is added, but makes the title disappear. Can't figure out how to avoid the title disappearing. Help! Don't add a page number building block; instead, choose "Current position" and insert a plain page number. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "SELoyd" <SELoyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E6103F5...

APA Style/References list
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi there, I have read the other threads on references and various helpful tips. My question for the publishers is would it be possible to have an option for References similar to the Bibliography list (it appears in APA style that is what they call their bibliography page). Also, I noticed that it does not do a hanging indent (where the 2nd and further lines are indented to the right) which is another requirement. If there is a way to automatically set this up and I haven't found it please let me know. Thanks so muc...

APA Style Table in Excel
Is there a way to left align digits in excel and still have decimal places in line? Example: Instead of: 0022.11 1122.01 Have: 22.11 1122.01 Thanks, Dan One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom ???0.00 Left align the cells. In article <s0Gsb.21268$8x2.8238628@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>, "Dan" <dslaugh@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is there a way to left align digits in excel and still have decimal places > in line? > > Example: > > Instead of: > > 0022.11 > 1122.01 > > Have: > > 22.11 > 1122.01 > > Thanks, &g...

what is the best apa format for Senior seminar undergrad
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have a Senior Seminar project final paper for undergrad degree. What is the best APA format to use? Google on APA Format. Hope it helps, -- Brian McCaffery "Erin6711" wrote: > Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have a Senior Seminar project final paper > for undergrad degree. What is the best APA format to use? ...

close and open bracket of APA style
How can to find the close and open brackets or breze. I am using Windows Vista. Please reply immediateley because I am waiting right now. Thanks Unless I'm missing something, they are keys on your keyboard. Mine are beside P. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Frank Escalante" <Frank Escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B09A32F3-AD9C-42A0-AB8D-A3A7901EBBC4@microsoft.com... > How can to find the close and open brackets or breze. I am using Windows > V...

Turabian style endnote/citation issues
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello, <br><br>Please forgive if I've somehow missed the answer to this question. I have scoured the forums looking for it. I am writing my MA thesis using Word 2008 in Leopard and it is due in a few weeks. All programs are fully updated. I've used the Citation Manager with Turabian style to handle the citations and to create a bibliography and list of endnotes, and have used section breaks with chapter headings to create a table of contents. While I've used Word on both PCs and Macs for many...

How to unmark citations in Word 2007?
I accidentally marked citations when I typed on Word 2007. Since then whenever I opened all my word files and even a new page, they are seen with citation marks.... How I unmark citations from my word program? Please help me? Or should I reinstall the program after I remove? I need to post my paper work by tomorrow afternoon, please help me! Thank you! I'm not sure what you mean. May be you have turned on Track Changes. Just Accept All and then turn it off. "Julia" <Julia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CE618A4-FD69-4CCD-8289-28F853DC9BD...

Word should have templates for APA and other format standards
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9a5eb800-ed4a-4084-9aad-c3584be912a0&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement Why should Word provide the templates? Shouldn't it be up to ...

How do I create a list of tables or figures for APA?