Turning off formatting when tracking changes

When we are tracking changes, then save the document, and open it later, the
formatting shows up on the right side of the page.  When I click on the
Review tab and unclick the arrow beside Formatting under show Mark-up, it
goes away.  Then I save, and every time I open it, it's back again.  I only
want to track the changes in the document, not the formatting itself, but it
seems as if this is a default and I can NOT get it to go away....I don't want
to accept the changes until appropriate folks have reviewed it, but when I
send them the document, they all complain about the formatting on the side
which has no bearing on the actual document.  HOW CAN I TURN THIS OFF FOREVER?

By "formatting," do you mean (a) the indications of italics, bold,
margins, etc. (which is what Word means by Track Formatting)? It seems
as though you mean (b) notification of all the Tracked Changes in
balloon style.

In your Track Changes Options, you can (a) tell it not to track
formatting (if you turn this off in the template your document is
based on, it's supposed to stay off in future documents you create);
Or you can (b) tell it to put no or only some information in balloons.
If you do that, you get your changes as underlined (insertions) or
crossed out (deletions) within your text in color.

But if (c) you simply don't want your tracked changes to show every
time you open your file, there _is_ a way to turn that off, but it's
not a good idea because you might forget the changes are there and
send your document to someone who shouldn't see the changes -- and
their copy of Word might not be set to not automatically show changes
upon opening.

So it's best to just choose the "Final" option instead of the "Final
Showing Markup" option in the dropdown that has that choice as the
default, each time you open the file.

On Nov 25, 4:36=A0pm, lhawley <lhaw...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> When we are tracking changes, then save the document, and open it later, =
the
> formatting shows up on the right side of the page. =A0When I click on the
> Review tab and unclick the arrow beside Formatting under show Mark-up, it
> goes away. =A0Then I save, and every time I open it, it's back again. =A0=
I only
> want to track the changes in the document, not the formatting itself, but=
 it
> seems as if this is a default and I can NOT get it to go away....I don't =
want
> to accept the changes until appropriate folks have reviewed it, but when =
> send them the document, they all complain about the formatting on the sid=
> which has no bearing on the actual document. =A0HOW CAN I TURN THIS OFF F=
OREVER?

0
Peter

icon changes with change of extension

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

using a UDF in place of a cond. format, b/c I need 4, not three
I know this is an age old topic here, and I'm really hoping that I don't just get referred to another web page [that type of help of course has its place and merits]. And if I had the time, I would have more fun going through docs and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can barter. What I'm looking at is: I'm thinking along the lines of an example where I normally set the borders of my columns [except if it's the first row] in a cond. format via something like this: =AND((NOT(ISBLANK($A1))),(ROW()>1)) But, if I need that space for a Con...

Excel is defaulting to Number format instead of General format
The programme for 2007 has recently been installed, and my cells are all formated to Number instead of General, and Excel won't let me change it back to General. We tried to uninstall and re-install but this did not help. Maybe you have a workbook template file named book.xlt (or .xltx or .xltm) in your XLStart folder. This template file is used as the basis for starting new workbooks. You could try to edit it (and change the number format) or move it (or delete it). Then restart excel to test. Kim wrote: > > The programme for 2007 has recently been installed, a...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Excell 2002
Hello, I've got a problem with formatting changes not updating in linked worksheets... Simply put, if you have a document that has a linked cell to another worksheet, the formatting ie...COLORS doesn't change when you chnge the source document with the linked document??? Yes, for instance text will be updated... but again, not formatting like making it BOLD or changing the colors of the text! Any ideas... I did see a KB article 1009182 regarding a problem linking WORD with Excel... but not Excel with Excel and the formatting no holding... it possibly is the case with Excel ...

Lebans Report2PDF
First off, I want to express how much I appreciate this tool, and if I can't get around this issue it's not the end of the world. However I am having a small formatting issue I want to see if anyone has any suggestions for. I have a report that has three side by side sub- reports within it, each of which can grow. The middle sub-report has web addresses which I've formatted with underlines and colored blue to help the customer realize they can click on it to go straight to that page (which is really a function of their reader, but many customers wouldn't realize they could d...

Hour format
I'm trying to format cells in excel 2007 with the hh:mm format and keep getting a date / time show in the function line and the wrong time in the cell. e.g. format cell - time - custom - hh:mm type in 12.15 and cell shows 03.36 function line shows 12/01/1900 03:36:00AM Never had this before and used this format option many times. Any help greatly appreciated Hi tafexpert, You need to input 12:15, not 12.15. The custom format only affects the way the data are displayed. You still need to input the time in a valid time format. Cheers -- macropod [MVP - Microsoft Word] -----------...

conditional formatting......
I am looking for the easiest way to create a conditional formattin formula for roughly 1000 rows, and 12 columns. What I want is if an values are an exact duplicate to highlight all cells that are a match Im sorry if I didn't explain, well enough if you have any question please let me know. Thanks for your hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this page of Chip Pearson's http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefi...

Bar chart tracking date and cost
I working for a manufacturing firm and I need a bar graph that spands over a time period for each product, the time period starts with a start date, spans over a beta launch date, and ends with a final production date. Then I would like to be able to input cost fiqures in the bar itself. Is this possible? If I could, I would like the x-axis to be broken into ficsal quarters. and the y to represent each product line. Thank you for the support. It appears you need a Gantt chart. Search google.com for many possibilities, including two (a tutorial and an add-in) on my web site. -- Regards...

login -- changed my password
silly me, not knowing that it wasn't my fault I changed the .NET password on the microsoft site. Now I'm getting the "Your sign-in name is not associated with your file" error. wonderful. Endre I had the same problem and thought maybe I had a virus or something. My password just suddenly didn't work and I changed my passport too. I changed it back to what it was. I'll be furious if this problem isn't fixed. I have about a years worth of stuff in Money and was just getting ready to use it to put together a budget, in addition to the fact that I haven'...

Formatting #13
Hi How can i have codes in this form 00.00.0000.00, & i wanted to sum to the values below like next code, 00.00.0000(+1).00 I'm tired to format but always sum in the last 2 digits 00.00.0000.00(+1), what can i do Someone can help me Thanks How did you put 00.00.0000.00 in the cell? Did you type 0 and then give it a custom format? If yes, try changing your custom format to: 00\.00\.\0000.00 Then add 1, but make sure that the resulting cell also has this custom format. This is really a funny formatted number with 2 decimal places now. Carla wrote: > > Hi, > How can i ...

Tracked emails not seen in MSCRM3 Web Client
I need to know how you can view a list of emails in the web client where those emails have been flagged to "track in CRM" but no "Regarding" value has been set. Can anyone let me know how to do this? TIA Antony All emails seen in web client are 'tracked'. "Antony" <info AT webpc DOT biz> wrote in message news:O3zebRFeGHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I need to know how you can view a list of emails in the web client where > those emails have been flagged to "track in CRM" but no "Regarding" value > has > been se...

In PUB 2007, how can the color of words be changed in WordArt?
I can change the color of the fill in PUB 2007 but not the color of the words. How can I change the color of words? The file *is* the color of the words. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "JE" <JE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E1DBD9B-7B4F-43BE-A6B0-24647ACC9B85@microsoft.com... >I can change the color of the fill in PUB 2007 but not the color of the > words. How can I change the color of words? On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:21:02 -0800, JE <JE@discussions.m...

2010 changing default file type
Office 2010 defaults to .docx format. Is there a way to change this to .doc. Most users I am in contact are still using older formats. Have suggested they download compability file, but seems they can't read. -- Art No, Word 2010 defaults to .docx format, as does Word 2007. Perhaps Word Options, Save is where you want to make your choice? Artsr3 wrote: > Office 2010 defaults to .docx format. Is there a way to change this to .doc. > Most users I am in contact are still using older formats. Have suggested > they download compability file, but seems they can&...

accounting format changed my totals to #####
I was doing homework and I had to apply an accounting number format to a set of of numbers but when I did that it took my totals and turned them into #####. How can I fix this. "cmanderson" <cmanderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FA1E06-AF1B-4EF2-8835-EA94F53BAF28@microsoft.com... >I was doing homework and I had to apply an accounting number format to a >set > of of numbers but when I did that it took my totals and turned them into > #####. How can I fix this. Widen the column. ...

Date formatting #7
I need to find a way to format a set of date as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc s it will look like this - 1st December 2002 not 01 December 2002. I cannot find a way to do this but i know excel recognises thi format. Please help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi YetAnotherAndy! AFAIK Excel doesn't recognise that format. You can apply the following to a date in A1: =DAY(A1)&IF(AND(MOD(DAY(A1),100)>=10,MOD(DAY(A1),100)<=14),"th",CHOOSE (MOD(DAY(A1),10)+1,"th","st","nd","rd","th","th","th&quo...

changing the formula's row reference
In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the worksheet. For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30, etc. In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is always the same. However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31. The old column references will stay the same, and the row references will all be the same number. Is there a way to do this quickly and easily for a large number of formulae? Thanks! You could do a search and replace, Ctrl-H. -- HTH RP (remove no...

VBA Form Global Name Changes
If you have a VBA User Form (FormA) with 50 fields on it, and the name of each field includes the name of the form in it (FormAField1TextBox, FormAField2Label, FormAField3ComboBox, etc.), and you create another User Form (FormB) and copy 25 of the fields from FormA to FormB, is there any way to globally change all the new fields on FormB so that the field names have 'FormB' in them instead of 'FormA'? -- Bill @ UAMS ...

unwanted formatting changes
I have had two repeating problems where fromats have been changed 'automatically' and unexpectedly. a) Copy pasting from an Access query into a spreadsheet. I preset certain column formats to text but on pasting one column changed to currency format and another to data format (the data I am pasting in is text format in Access). b) On making a copy of a sheet inside a workbook data formats changed in a number of other sheets and the new sheet being created. I was able to repeat both problems with the same actions. Something appears to be wrong with Excel. I reinstalled today b...

How to convert word doc to excel w/o changing format to add formu.
I have an evaluation form I need to convert from word to excel; as to implement formulas to make the scoring easier to maintain or more accurate. I am having trouble since the original word doc has numerous tables and such. I am not that excel savvy..HELP ...

How do I stop bullet letter (a, b, c) from turning greek?
When I create a document in which I have used letters for bulletted lists (ie, a), b), c) etc), when I print or reopen it, the letters have changed to Greek characters alpha, beta etc. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks very much. Wow, I cannot duplicate this in any version of Publisher. Maybe you are using a different type font. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "allythegeek" <allythegeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD4415-6A6E-4EA1-97BD-0FF22ADFBB5A@microsoft.com... &...

Cond. Formatting, Mod(Row) and cell conditions
Is there any way to use the mod row function to shade alternative rows, based on whether cells have any value in them. I want to select a big range (eg A:G) and only shade alternative rows (A:G) once data is place in cells. the mod row function shades regardless if there is data in or not. Select ColA:G and try the below CF formula..Make sure the active cell of your selection is in Row1 =AND(MOD(ROW(),2),COUNTA($A1:$G1)) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "wynand" wrote: > Is there any way to use the mod row function to shade alternative rows, based > on wheth...

Should remember changed description width with F2 search
My item descriptions are generally at the max of the allowed desc. When searching during F2 I often have to maximize the desc field witch causes the qty and price field to disapear. I then have to adjust them. I'd like to pre configure them so they stay the same. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then ...