Turn Off Updating of Ref Fields in Word 2007

I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
everywhere they inserted the field.  I unlinked the extra graphics from the
paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2."   Now the
document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
extra graphics being inserted into the document.  I need to turn off the Auto
Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
remove all these Ref fields.
--
Catrina

If they're really links they may not be taking up that much extra room.  A
single copy of the source object will be re-used.   You can lock a field to
prevent it from updating, but that's only useful if the source might change
and you want to control when or if that happens (e.g., when a DATE field is
in a document, it will generally display today's date.).  You can also
replace a field with its contents, so that it's no longer a field.  But
that's not useful if you're trying to save space in the document.  I don't
know what you mean by "I unlinked the extra graphics from the paragraph but
not from the actual text".
There are a bunch of keystrokes all related to the F9 key that let you do
these things.
F9 will force update of a field.  Alt-F9 will toggle the display of the
field definition and its contents.  Control-Shift-F9 will replace a field
with its current contents.
Maybe if you just hate the graphics and the time it takes for them to load
(even if not multiply-stored), you can find and redefine the relevant
bookmarks to exclude the graphic part.  Your changes won't always show
immediately: you can select all (Control-A) and hit F9 to force an update
(although Headers and Footers (and other "stories" like footnotes) need to be
separately addressed.)

"Catrina" wrote:

> I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
> and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
> everywhere they inserted the field.  I unlinked the extra graphics from the
> paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2."   Now the
> document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
> If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
> extra graphics being inserted into the document.  I need to turn off the Auto
> Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
> remove all these Ref fields.
> --
> Catrina
Further to my last post:
Control-F11 will lock a field.
The following Microsoft Help gives an overview.
It also tells about a ! suffix that can prevent some processing.
Following URL needs to be on one line in a browser.

http://office2010.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetId=HA103387989990&lcid=3081&NS=WINWORD&Version=12&pid=CH010099271&CTT=4#BM5

"David Powell" wrote:

> If they're really links they may not be taking up that much extra room.  A
> single copy of the source object will be re-used.   You can lock a field to
> prevent it from updating, but that's only useful if the source might change
> and you want to control when or if that happens (e.g., when a DATE field is
> in a document, it will generally display today's date.).  You can also
> replace a field with its contents, so that it's no longer a field.  But
> that's not useful if you're trying to save space in the document.  I don't
> know what you mean by "I unlinked the extra graphics from the paragraph but
> not from the actual text".
> There are a bunch of keystrokes all related to the F9 key that let you do
> these things.
> F9 will force update of a field.  Alt-F9 will toggle the display of the
> field definition and its contents.  Control-Shift-F9 will replace a field
> with its current contents.
> Maybe if you just hate the graphics and the time it takes for them to load
> (even if not multiply-stored), you can find and redefine the relevant
> bookmarks to exclude the graphic part.  Your changes won't always show
> immediately: you can select all (Control-A) and hit F9 to force an update
> (although Headers and Footers (and other "stories" like footnotes) need to be
> separately addressed.)
>
> "Catrina" wrote:
>
> > I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
> > and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
> > everywhere they inserted the field.  I unlinked the extra graphics from the
> > paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2."   Now the
> > document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
> > If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
> > extra graphics being inserted into the document.  I need to turn off the Auto
> > Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
> > remove all these Ref fields.
> > --
> > Catrina

Percent issues in 2007
We just converted to Office 2007, so that could be my issue. Here is my problem: I have a field called "Percent Discount" with a field size set to Single and no decimal places. On theform, the user types in 10% into the field (2007 automatically enters the % sign). The next field is an expression =[Amount]-[Dollar Discount]-[Percent Discount] (The user can give a dollar discount or a percent discount depending on their needs). It is only subtracting 1% rather than 10%. How do I get it to both show 10% for the user and subtract the 10% from the amount? On Feb 25, 11:19=A0am, MuzicK....

Failed Recent Updates and Error Code 80070490
Since yesterday my computer and me have been trying to install two Vista updates: Security Updates for Windows Vista (KB967723) and Updates for windows Vista (KB972145) and I get the Error Found Code 80070490 I have Windows Vista Ultimate. Please advise. Hello Octavio, 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of the OS. How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833> Tell...

Publisher 2007 #31
If I use Autoflow in text boxes, I cannot get the test to wrap round pictures, they just sit on top! What am I doing Wrong? In Publisher 2000 it would be, Click on the text box; select Format, check "Wrap text around objects" Option. OK -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "richwoo" <richwoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F176A1BE-6E72-48FB-98F9-573C15E677CC@microsoft.com... > If I use Autoflow in text boxes, I cannot get the test to wrap round > pictures, they just sit on top! > What am I doing Wrong? > ...

Using Powerpoint 2007
PPS files on webpage open as PPT using PowerPoint 2007. Don't have this same issue when opening the same link from an Office 2003 computer, they run the show only. -- Miroshak ...

Changing a custom field length
We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar. I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please help me with this?? Affy Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created. Then there's a question of what to do with any existing...

MSN BillPay and Money 2007 #2
Has anyone had any experience with setting up MSN BillPay in Microsoft Money 2007? From Managing Online Services within Money 2007 I signed up for MSN BillPay and have my user name and password to make payments but limited to using the MSN Web Site. When I try to enter this info in Money 2007 to activate MSN billpay online services I get a message saying that I must have "special sign-in information" other than the web based user name/password and points me back to the MSN Web Site for the needed info. My problem is that I cannot find any mention of this special sign-in on any of t...

Field lookup query question
Access 2003. I have two tables. Master and IssuePart. Each table has a report number (Master.OA) that ties all this together. I wanted to make the Master table perform a lookup by matching the report number in IssuePart and bringup a listbox. But the query won't cooperate. I can manually enter a report number and get the results I want, but as soon as I try to change the criteria to the Master report number field name, it chokes with syntaxs errors and such. Here's the SQL the Builder produces. SELECT IssueData.[Part Number], IssueData.[Serial Number] FROM IssueData WHERE ((ISS...

Export Outlook 2007 Calendar to HTML
When I export Outlook 2007 Calendar to HTML, "save as web page", only the first appointment of any day is shown in the HTML version of the Calendar. Can I show more appointments? Am I doing somthing wrong? is there an alternate template I can use? Thanks Grant@cgs ...

Html Tags for Specific Words in a Cell

how to use Field codes in Excel
Hi, I am facing a problem in using custom property values in excel worksheet. Here is my requirement. I want to display the Version No in the footer. how to do the same using custom properties. I have used field codes in Word but could not find the same in excel. Can you pls help ASAP "Radhika" wrote... >I am facing a problem in using custom property values in >excel worksheet. Here is my requirement. I want to >display the Version No in the footer. how to do the same >using custom properties. I have used field codes in Word >but could not find the s...

Microsoft Office Word has stopped working 02-03-10
Please help find a fix - Using Microsoft 7 on new Dell XPS 9000 super fast computer...Often when I try to open a Word Doc or start a new one I get "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working; Microsoft is checking for a soluttion" message and later a red circle with a white X "There was a problem sending the command to the program." Sometimes everything works fine, more often it doesn't. Sometimes if I double click I can open a document; sometimes I need to click and then click OPEN to get to the doc and sometimes neither works. I've tried reinstalling....

Mail Merge Word 2007
I've created a mail merged document from an Access 2007 database. I've inserted a field from the database that I want to have as bold. In every other part of the document that happens (it bold's) except in one place in the middle of a paragraph. Any idea? Why would the bold format take in every other part of the document for that field but not in the middle of a particular paragraph? The field properties are identical throughout the word file were that field has been inserted. Any help is greatly appreciated! (8^>)-]=[ Sorry I got my answer \*Charform...

How can I update my "Publisher for Windows 95"?
I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? one_thing_303 wrote: > I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a > more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? The current version of Publisher is Publisher 2007, available at most software stores as well as online. Check that your computer meets the system requirements before purchasing. Publisher has undergone rather a substantial number of chan...

is there any way to open access 2003 files in 2007 ??
I am a student using access 2003 at college, I have access 2007 at home. I am unable to open any 2003 db files using 2007, there appear to be compatability issues...is there a quick fix ? Access 2003 .mdb files should open in Access 2007. I do it all the time. However Access 2007 .accdb files will NOT open in Access 2003. I tell my Access 2007 students that they MUST use 2007 to do the homework. What kind of error are you getting? -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Andrew" wrote: > I am...

changing the size of the font in the navigation pane in word 2007
How do I change the size of the font in the navigation pane in word 2007? The method used in previous versions of word do not apply as the options (under format) have changed. I find the size is too small Thanks -- melthamdave Well, for one thing Word 2007 is a Windows version & this is the newsgroup for Word on the Mac :-) However, it makes no difference � the font size in any of the dialog windows/panes/panels cannot be modified. For future reference you can reach the Win Office groups here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx Reg...

Why Does Excel 2007 not allow the entry of a date in the Axis Opti
I am attempting to enter a date to set the Min and/or Max value in the Axis Options in a Line Chart. This is for the Vertical Axis. When I enter a date ex 1/18/10 or 1/18/2010 in the Axis Options in a Line Chart on the vertical axis, the value reverts to the original date code 40181.0 which is 1/3/10. I used to be able to enter a date here and it would convert it. How Can I get this to do it. Am I entering the information wrong. My older version of excel (2002) I could even enter just the month and day if I wanted the current year. ex 1/18 would have been sufficient and the...

Update values in close opportunity form
Hi, I want to update the values in the drop down of the close opportunity form. I want to add/remove the values in the status reason field Is there any way I can do this? Thanks Eddie Not using the default crm forms. You have to build a custom aspx page calling the webservice for this. The CRM SDK has some details on this look for the SetStatusRequest -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Web: aviva-it.nl "eddieg@uniqueworld.net" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to update the values in the drop down of the close opportunity > form. I want to add/rem...

Frozen File in Publisher 2007 w/ Vista
I opened several files only to find them frozen and unable to edit. When I tried to ungroup it said the oject was an imported picture. Like the last question on this subject, I checked to see if the product was activated and it was. The Pulisher 2007 version is on a brand new HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop. Any suggestions? Is it a trial version? Even though it was activated there is a time limit if Office is a trial version. The clue is the brand new laptop... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DSV" <...

Windows Update Does Not Recognize Administrator
Vista SP1. I just completed many updates from the Windows update site. With several non critical ones left, I went back to finish. Now I can't download / install because it says I need Administrator permission. I checked user accounts and of course there is only one account listed and it being administrator, which I'm logged in on. I tried changing the account and it recognizes me as an administrator and allowed me to make changes. Applications requiring administrator work just fine but the update site does not :( As per an earlier post I read here, I ran Update Agent 3, s...

Access 2007 Detail Not Visible
Hi All, We jsut upgraded to Office 2007. I have a form that uses the detail section. In the design the data is visible, but when I execute the form, the detail is gone. The Access database is a frontend to a SQL database and uses stored procedures instead of queries. Any idea on how to get this detail visible again? Thanks Chad The detail section of a form disappears if there are no records to display, and no new records can be added. Details: Why does my form go completely blank? at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-20.html If it worked in a previous ...

Option entry and price updates questions
Having a little trouble getting MS Money 2007 Deluxe to work with me on option entry and price updates. Problem #1: I sold puts in GE Oct. $25s (GEWVY.O) to open. How do I enter this to show the transaction, including the cash received? Problem #2: It appears that "Updates Prices Now" isn't updating the Put option price. I tried entering both GEWVY.O and GEWVY. Cannot figure out what else to try. Anyu assistance/guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks. Dave I figured out how to update the price ; it's .GEWVY. Still having the issue with transaction entry. &quo...

Terminal Server based Outlook 2007 printing hieroglyphics
We are running terminal services(Server 2008 R2) with Outlook 2007 installed (SP2). No other Office components are installed. When printing emails, (all other printing is fine), the text becomes compressed and looks like hieroglyphics. 1. I have tried removing all printer drivers and re-installing the drivers with no luck. 2. I have also applied the lastest patches and Service packs to the server and Outlook. 3. I have tried using different types of drivers with each printer ie. PS, MS, PCL5e, PCL6 etc with no luck. Any help would be appreciated as users are getting very fr...

Update field in Entity A when Entity B is saved
Hi I have created two custom entities and I would like to be able to do the following: When a date is added to a field on Entity B and Entity B is then saved I want to update a date field on Entity A (with the date that was entered on Entity B plus a year) Is this possible? Thanks Hi quest One way of doing this is by using callouts. You can write an Update callout for Entity. Within this you can create athe object of Entity A and update it as required. Hope this helps! Sam _______________ Inogic Innovative Logic Innovative solutions for your SME ERP/CRM products E-mail: crm@inogic....

Selection not updating in CSliderCtrl
I am using a CSliderCtrl with the selection range enabled. I'm calling SetSelection(min, max) to set the range, but the control does not immediately update to show the new range. However, clicking the slider knob (thumb?) does cause the range to update. How do I force the range to update programatically? TIA. ...