Turn Off Updating of Ref Fields in Word 2007

I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
everywhere they inserted the field.  I unlinked the extra graphics from the
paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2."   Now the
document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
extra graphics being inserted into the document.  I need to turn off the Auto
Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
remove all these Ref fields.
--
Catrina

If they're really links they may not be taking up that much extra room.  A
single copy of the source object will be re-used.   You can lock a field to
prevent it from updating, but that's only useful if the source might change
and you want to control when or if that happens (e.g., when a DATE field is
in a document, it will generally display today's date.).  You can also
replace a field with its contents, so that it's no longer a field.  But
that's not useful if you're trying to save space in the document.  I don't
know what you mean by "I unlinked the extra graphics from the paragraph but
not from the actual text".
There are a bunch of keystrokes all related to the F9 key that let you do
these things.
F9 will force update of a field.  Alt-F9 will toggle the display of the
field definition and its contents.  Control-Shift-F9 will replace a field
with its current contents.
Maybe if you just hate the graphics and the time it takes for them to load
(even if not multiply-stored), you can find and redefine the relevant
bookmarks to exclude the graphic part.  Your changes won't always show
immediately: you can select all (Control-A) and hit F9 to force an update
(although Headers and Footers (and other "stories" like footnotes) need to be
separately addressed.)

"Catrina" wrote:

> I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
> and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
> everywhere they inserted the field.  I unlinked the extra graphics from the
> paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2."   Now the
> document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
> If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
> extra graphics being inserted into the document.  I need to turn off the Auto
> Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
> remove all these Ref fields.
> --
> Catrina
Further to my last post:
Control-F11 will lock a field.
The following Microsoft Help gives an overview.
It also tells about a ! suffix that can prevent some processing.
Following URL needs to be on one line in a browser.

http://office2010.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetId=HA103387989990&lcid=3081&NS=WINWORD&Version=12&pid=CH010099271&CTT=4#BM5

"David Powell" wrote:

> If they're really links they may not be taking up that much extra room.  A
> single copy of the source object will be re-used.   You can lock a field to
> prevent it from updating, but that's only useful if the source might change
> and you want to control when or if that happens (e.g., when a DATE field is
> in a document, it will generally display today's date.).  You can also
> replace a field with its contents, so that it's no longer a field.  But
> that's not useful if you're trying to save space in the document.  I don't
> know what you mean by "I unlinked the extra graphics from the paragraph but
> not from the actual text".
> There are a bunch of keystrokes all related to the F9 key that let you do
> these things.
> F9 will force update of a field.  Alt-F9 will toggle the display of the
> field definition and its contents.  Control-Shift-F9 will replace a field
> with its current contents.
> Maybe if you just hate the graphics and the time it takes for them to load
> (even if not multiply-stored), you can find and redefine the relevant
> bookmarks to exclude the graphic part.  Your changes won't always show
> immediately: you can select all (Control-A) and hit F9 to force an update
> (although Headers and Footers (and other "stories" like footnotes) need to be
> separately addressed.)
>
> "Catrina" wrote:
>
> > I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
> > and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
> > everywhere they inserted the field.  I unlinked the extra graphics from the
> > paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2."   Now the
> > document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
> > If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
> > extra graphics being inserted into the document.  I need to turn off the Auto
> > Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
> > remove all these Ref fields.
> > --
> > Catrina

Server 2003 R2 Updates Fail
I have a Server 2003 R2 that is able to download the updates from Microsoft but will not load them onto the server. The updates state that the install failed for each update. This has caused me to not have this server current on Windows Updates. Anyone with any possible ways to correct this, please let me know. Thanks !! How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of http://support.mic...

Cannot enter task or contact in Outlook 2007
I need help PLEASE!!! I upgraded my Outlook 2000 to 2007, have Vista as O.S. and now cannot use my outlook at all. I cannot enter a task or a contact without getting an error message: "Messaging Interface has returned an unknown error. If problem persists, restart Outlook." I have tried this about 10 times, no success. I also had to remove Business Contact Manager because it had problems with it too. Please help me! Thanks,Daniela "Daniela" <Daniela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9B27FC0-B519-4AC7-8EE7-93FCABAC0917@microsoft.co...

Glossary for Event Properties of forms, fields, etc.
I'm trying in vain to find a glossary of sorts that explains what event properties (e.g., On Load, On Activate, On Dirty, On Undo) do... It'd be nice to have a list with definitions all on one page and I am having trouble finding this via the Internet, if there is one... Any suggestions for website links would be appreciated! Jill In the database help window, search for: Order of events -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Jill" <Jill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Outlook 2007 / Exchange 2007 and Terminal Services
Hey there, We're installing a fresh copy of exchange 2007 on a dedicated machine for a company that uses 90% terminal services. Installation was successfull, and conenction made to exchange using a computer connected directly to the domain are also successfull. However Connections made from the terminal server are not recognized. And a authentication window pops up, however it does not recognize any user id's not even the admin.. any thoughts? You could be running into this issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2008/04/30/problems-using-default-credenti als-wi...

MS Money 2007 and MS Money Plus Premium crashes on Win XP Tablet
On startup, either program crashes when started. I have removed all virus software. I have tried removing almost everything and still no help. I went through the help for a crash like this and adding all the updates, reinstalled, etc. and no luck. The general error message reads like this always: AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 17.0.0.724 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00001010 I am wondering if the tablet version does not work. 2007 worked for a while, but stopped after I installed something, but I did not know which program it was. Does anyone have any suggest...

Sum a $ amount in part of a field
I have payment lines that export to Excel as one field/cell - at times, there may be as many as 45 or 50 payments that are strung together, separated only by the "|" (bar) key. I.e. 02-19-03 01-31-03 220818 $125.00 151577 VOL.5 NO.2 | 08-13-03 08-04-03 243736 $125.00 158021 VOL.5 NO.1 | 10-14-03 09-13-03 S-59651 -$10.50 159582 RATE ADJ Is there a formula I can use to pull out just the $ amounts from this cell, and then sum it up (i.e. $239.50)? I could split the field using the "|" as a delimiter, but then I might have 40 or 50 columns and I still...

Document Window Using Word
Normally -- when I go into word -- for word processing the screen comes up with a blank page -- with a blue border around it. Recently, the page has been smaller and longer with no blue border. Could someone help me to correct this problem? My thanks to you. Gabuie Sounds like the default accidentally got changed from Page Layout view to perhaps Normal view. If you change it back (View | Page Layout), it should save it for the future. If that doesn't work, what version of Word? DM "GA BUIE" wrote: > > Normally -- when I go into word -- for word processing the &...

How do i setup a center gate fold card template in Publisher 2007
By center gate fold i mean take an A4 sheet and fold the left hand side and the right hand side in so that they meet in the center like a double gate. Cant find this template and not sure how to create it. How to here http://www.expertsinfinishing.com/G1_Gate.pdf Other folds http://www.spggraphics.com/foldingStyles.asp -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "RedwingerUK" <RedwingerUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A77BF23-0E5C-4E7D-9F15-87C9B59FC6D2@microsoft.com... > By center gate fo...

updating your account(constantly)!
updating your account keeps flashing on top right of money 2007, screen jiggles don't have a clue what to do? -- Bob In microsoft.public.money, keeganrob1 wrote: >updating your account keeps flashing on top right of money 2007, screen >jiggles don't have a clue what to do? Tell us more: Is your operating system XP or Vista? When you do Help->About.... what is the version? What is the actual message? I also am having this problem. New laptop w/Vista pre loaded. Downloaded MS Money 2007. System seeming locked up as unable to edit any entries or update/download any b...

match name fields to determine differences #2
I have two worksheets that have common columns for last name and first name. I want to determine which rows are in both worksheets based on the last name and first name. The concatenate function with vlookup is an option, is there an easier way? I will have to assume that first names are in column A and last names in column B. And that there are 300 names on sheet1 with headings. The first sheet is called "sheet1" It doesn't matter how many names are on sheet 2. In the second sheet cell C2 enter You may have to change it around to match your information. =IF(SUMPRODUCT((Shee...

X-Axis word wrap
Is there a way to turn off the word wrap on the x-axis labels? I have labels that are relatively long 2-3 words each, but I am not able to find a way to keep the text from wrapping. When a label wraps, it tends to overlap the next labels. I have plenty of room, but when I resize the chart, at seems to size of the x-axis label area moves proportionally. Can this area be enlarged? Hi, You have very limited control over the layout of the axis labels. If you use the ChartArea format dialog you can uncheck the Auto Scale option on the Font tab. This will stop the font changing when you re...

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

Word 2007 Versions
Hello, Can someone please provide the list of Word 2007 versions (12.0.xxx.xxxx or whatever the format is) for those versions of Word that shipped (were distributed) before January 11, 2010? Also, if a user receives one of those versions and then installs the mandatory patch, does the version number change? If so, to what? ...

Excell 2002
Hello, I've got a problem with formatting changes not updating in linked worksheets... Simply put, if you have a document that has a linked cell to another worksheet, the formatting ie...COLORS doesn't change when you chnge the source document with the linked document??? Yes, for instance text will be updated... but again, not formatting like making it BOLD or changing the colors of the text! Any ideas... I did see a KB article 1009182 regarding a problem linking WORD with Excel... but not Excel with Excel and the formatting no holding... it possibly is the case with Excel ...

Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Creating an interactive form in word 2007
I have a form in word 2007. I have text boxes for the user to fill in. I have bookmarked the text boxes and then inserted the bookmarks throughout the document so that when the user fills in the text box it should populate the bookmarks in the form. I can't get the information to appear in the form. I choose calculate on exit in the text box. I protect the document and then I enter the text in the text box but the bookmarks in the body of the text don't update. I used to be able to do this. I think I am missing a step can you help? See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeatin...

How to Past cells with formulas not using "$" without changing ref
Hello, I would like to copy / past a large amount of cells in which "$" has not been used in formules. Problem : referenced are changed (because "$" is not there). Example in A1 : "=B1+C1" if I copy A1 to A50 : the contained formula will be : "=B50+C50" while I would like it to be "=B1+C1 without having to insert $ in formulas Please could you telle me if there is a way to do so ? many thanks and kind regards. -- Jean-Luc Jean-Luc - A few thoughts... First, it might be easier to add the dollar signs before copy/past...

How to update Ms Money Plus Premium
Hi to all, one year ago i've purchased MS Money Plus Premium CD version. I've installed it without problem. Now i've formatted my pc server and when i've installed the Ms Money, it showed me a message about an update. Unfortunately the update has a security problem and my copy of Money remains with an old version. How to fix this problem? I've tried this http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/549.aspx but without success! Is there a latest version of Money Plus Premium to download through web? Many thanks, ---------------------------------------------- Alessandro B. Can ...

sbs 2008 under Updates, "change the software update settings" crashes console
Running SBS 2008 SP2, fresh install with just a couple users, I noticed that under Security, Updates, in the Tasks window there is a "Change the software update settings". When I click this link, the "Software Update Settings" window appears for a split second then the SBS Console crashes saying "Windows SBS 2008 Console has stopped working" with these details: Description: Stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: console.exe Problem Signature 02: 6.0.5601.8497 Problem Signature 03: 4a612b8b...

unable to update stock prices in Money 2004
I am using Money 2004 Deluxe. For the past 3 days, when I tried to update the stock prices online, a message comes up saying the update was completed ok, but there would be no price change in the stocks. When I checked the update summary, it says prices were last updated May 25, 3 days ago. YET, each time I select update prices online, the call summary dialogue box says "call completed". Any idea? >-----Original Message----- >I am using Money 2004 Deluxe. For the past 3 days, when I tried to >update the stock prices online, a message comes up saying the update >was co...

Excel 2007 Page numbering
Is there a way in 2007 to consectively number all the sheets beginning with one (1) until ....? Thank you in advance for your help. Do you mean consecutive page numbers when printing more than one worksheet? Select the sheets to print using CTRL + click or Shift + click Then set up the header or footer with &[Page] The selected sheets will print consecutively page-numbered. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:09:01 -0800, Dottie <Dottie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way in 2007 to consectively number all the sheets beginning with >one (1)...

Installed Updates Dates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CA9E88.1E41A580 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Vista Basic x32 sp2. In checking my installed updates I have found that many were installed = on 9/29/2009. This is correct because I formatted my HD and installed Vista Basic with = SP1 on that date. But, I find that KB935509 and KB937287 are showing install dates of = 1/20/2008. How can these 2 updates show install dates prior to the date I = formatting my HD?? James ------=_Next...

Outlook converting word file to winmail.doc
Hello, When sending a regular (rich text) e-mail from Outlook 2000 that includes a MS Word document, the recipient receives a winmail.dat file (instead of the MS Word doc). Sounds like a configuration issue that's probably been addressed before...Does anyone know what setting (or patch) I change to correct? Thanks in advance, Frank ...

Money 2002 Won't Update
My installation of Microsoft Money 2002 Standard Edition (Version 10.0) running under Windows XP Home SP2 developed a problem with Internet Updates. The Call Summary message window under Quotes and Exchange Rates reads: "Money was unable to complete the operation. There is a problem with your Money installation. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks." Under Money Updates it reads: "An unknown error has occurred. Please try the operation again. If problem persists, reinstall Money from your original product disks" An update from Wells Fargo Bank is a...