Text form field loses formatting in Word 2010

I am trying to create a very simple form in Word 2010 (RTM, on Win7) which
has three fields: Qty, Unit Price, Ext. Price.  Am using the legacy Text Form
field for each. The details on how I set up properties is below.
I restrict editing and then save it (as a DOTX, DOCX or even DOC-tried all),
and then open it to type values in my fields. Here's the problem:  the fields
do not format the data as instructed.  For example, I type in a unit price of
$1.50 and it saves the value of "1".  That's it, just the number 1, and does
not format it as instructed (as currency).  It displays the qty correctly,
but it strips out the currency formatting for Ext. Price as well.  All
calculations are working (based on the values it saves in the form field, not
the values I've typed in), but the formatting is in error, and that makes the
calculation results wrong.

When I go back and view properties for each field, the number format is
blank - as if I never selected/changed it.  If I select again, restrict,
save, and try again, still no formatting.
What might be causing this?  I've tried in an old document and a brand new
one and the same thing happens.  Information from this point forward is
supplemental about how I set properties for each field.

After I insert each field, I open the Properties and make appropriate changes:
Qty field:  Number type, unlimited length, number format #,##0, calculate on
exit checked.
Unit Price field: Number type, unlimited length, number format
$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00), calculate on exit checked.
Ext price field: Calculation, unlimited length, number format
$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00), calculate on exit  NOT checked.
Editing restrictions are set to allow only Filling in forms.

Thanks for any insights you might have.

That is an issue that I came across last week.  A way around the problem is
to run the following macro on exit from any formfield to which you want to
apply the formatting:

Sub formatfldresult()
Dim ffname As String
ffname = Selection.Bookmarks(Selection.Bookmarks.Count).Name
With ActiveDocument.FormFields(ffname)
    .Result = Format(.Result, "$#,###.00")
End With
End Sub

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Michelle H." <Michelle H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to create a very simple form in Word 2010 (RTM, on Win7) which
> has three fields: Qty, Unit Price, Ext. Price.  Am using the legacy Text
> Form
> field for each. The details on how I set up properties is below.
> I restrict editing and then save it (as a DOTX, DOCX or even DOC-tried
> all),
> and then open it to type values in my fields. Here's the problem:  the
> fields
> do not format the data as instructed.  For example, I type in a unit price
> of
> $1.50 and it saves the value of "1".  That's it, just the number 1, and
> does
> not format it as instructed (as currency).  It displays the qty correctly,
> but it strips out the currency formatting for Ext. Price as well.  All
> calculations are working (based on the values it saves in the form field,
> not
> the values I've typed in), but the formatting is in error, and that makes
> the
> calculation results wrong.
>
> When I go back and view properties for each field, the number format is
> blank - as if I never selected/changed it.  If I select again, restrict,
> save, and try again, still no formatting.
> What might be causing this?  I've tried in an old document and a brand new
> one and the same thing happens.  Information from this point forward is
> supplemental about how I set properties for each field.
>
> After I insert each field, I open the Properties and make appropriate
> changes:
> Qty field:  Number type, unlimited length, number format #,##0, calculate
> on
> exit checked.
> Unit Price field: Number type, unlimited length, number format
> $#,##0.00;($#,##0.00), calculate on exit checked.
> Ext price field: Calculation, unlimited length, number format
> $#,##0.00;($#,##0.00), calculate on exit  NOT checked.
> Editing restrictions are set to allow only Filling in forms.
>
> Thanks for any insights you might have.

0
Doug

TEXT = text

alignment controls on the form
I want to align controls and labels on the form in different place. The controls and labels are hand in hand. When I select controls and labels to move or alignment all comes together. Are there any way to align controls only or labels only? Your informaiton is greate appreciated, In the upper left hand corner of any selected control or label, there is a larger "handle" (black box for sizing or moving). If you click and drag that box, you will move the control or label without affecting the other one. If you want to completely separate them, select the label and "Cut&q...

GP 9.0 crashes when trying to set format of field in Report Writer
Hi all, I was trying to modify the alignment of the Check Amount in User-Defined Check 1 in Report Writer. So I clicked on the format ellipsis when GP just crashed. What could the reason be? I am running GP 9.00.0259 on Windows Vista Enterprise. This is quite urgent as user needs to print checks. Thanks in advance On May 5, 3:38=A0am, Saras <Sa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I was trying to modify the alignment of the Check Amount in User-Defined > Check 1 in Report Writer. So I clicked on the format ellipsis when GP jus= t > crashed. What could th...

Format Color for worksheet
Is there a simple way so that when I open a Excel sheet I have the first 3 rows a dark gray color, the next 3 rows a light gray, the next 3 back to dark and so on, or do I have to use the "format cells"?? -- Thank you NotGood@All See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#rows -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "NotGood@All" <NotGoodAll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01A00D95-C2A6-4256-BE80-5A2AA4DBB9A9@microsoft.com... > Is there a simple way so that when I open a Excel sheet I have the first 3 > rows a dark gray color...

Selecting text in a document

How can I create an ASCII file with double quotes around each field?
I need to convert Excel files to ASCII files with commas as delimiters. That part is easy. The problem is that I need each field to be surounded by double quotes. Here is an example of what my ASCII output needs to look like: "smith","robert","15","elm","street" "jones","robert","111","main","avenue" Can anyone suggest a solution on how I can convert my excel file to ASCII output as shown in my example? thanks very much! I can get the data into the correct format but then you will need to ...

online form creation
What is the best recommended way for creating online forms on a web site. I would like the information to be retained in a db as well as having the option of email the completed online form to someone in our office. Running Server 2003 and iis6 http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/backend/databases/tutorials/tutorial3.html "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6E36CC0F-EC6B-44D3-83CC-584AF5FFE90D@microsoft.com... > What is the best recommended way for creating online forms on a web site. > I would like the information to be retained in a db as well...

CScrollView and text height

QUERY FIELD SUM
In have the following in my first field. K:IIF([PL4HX4.RK]=1,"2",IIF([PL4HX4.RK]=2,"1","")) I have the following in my second field. H:IIF([PL4HX4.RH]=1,"2",IIF([PL4HX4.RH]=2,"1","")) What would i write in my third field to get the sum of K + H ? Thanks ed should be as easy as: L: [K] + [H] However, you see that you are returning "1" which is a string, as opposed 1 the number. You might want to change the values to 2, 1, and 0 depending on what you are trying to accomplish. >> What would i writ...

Crm field help
Hi there, is there any easy way to introduce help info when passing with the mouse pointer above a field? Thanks in advance! ...

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Hide and unhide a form
I have a form, frmStopDailyCounttest in which the user clicks the command button cmdAddstats, which, if there's a value being entered which duplicates something already in the table, then opens frmDuplicateValues. When frmDuplicateValues is opened, what can I do to hide the frmStopDailyCounttest, and when it's closed, how can I unhide it? "Nathan Wolfe" <NathanWolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFF20847-76DC-48BA-9C0F-4EFEEAF1B133@microsoft.com... >I have a form, frmStopDailyCounttest in which the user clicks the command > button cmdAdd...

formatting a spreadsheet help
I have a few different dilemas going on here. First: Can a conditional format be set up in Vista or Windows 7 both 64 bit, and saved in 97-2003 excel saving the conditional formats? Second: I have a spreadsheet column A is my received date, Column B is Stock #, Column C is Serial #, Column G is my finished date. What I need to be able to do: When I enter information into Column C (Serial #), I need some type of notification if that same number has been entered within a six month time period from my Column G (Finished date). 1. Yes. However, there are some formats which only Ex...

Publish Form elements to web?
Is there a way to publish form objects to the web? Specifically, I have a slider (or scrollbar) in my Excel doc that works great _within_ Excel. However, when I publish it to the web, everything is there EXCEPT the slider. Thanks Scott ...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Invoice form make new page?
I have an Invoice form and I want to create a new empty invoice form on a new worksheet if the first one is full, keeping the first one as page 1 (worksheet1). I also want to transport the ordersum from page 1 to page 2 and place it in a chosen cell for calculating the total on page 2. The total to be displayed only on page 2. Maybe It can be done with a Macro and a button to choose new page if the first one is full. Solutions anyone? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You should have worksheet set up as a blank form to copy. You can the use a macro like this (you will ha...

want to save the record number in a field
This shold be simple, but I can't find and info on it. When starting a new record I would like to populate a field with the record number and save it in in the table. Record numbers you see at the bottom of the display are 'relative' only. Access stores records like a barrel of bricks, all in a jumble. You have to sort the records in a query, form, or report. But you can use a field with an Autonumber to number records. The numbers may not be continous without gaps but will be a unique value. -- Build a little, test a little. "fransquest" wrote...

Null in text box

Format cell for negative
Hi I want the value that i type into a cell always to be negative thanks Hi, You need to adjust the format of the cell - this one for instance: -* #,##0_-;-* #,##0_-;_-* "-"_-;_-@_- Notice that the format starts with "-". Go to Format->Cells->Number and paste this format in the custom part. Cheers, Jon "es" wrote: > Hi > I want the value that i type into a cell always to be > negative > > thanks > Is there a specific Cell or range of cells on your worksheet that you want this? Or any and all cells on any Worksheet? "e...

Printing HTML formatted messages
I have noticed that when I print HTML formatted messages, the current date is printed in the lower left corner of every page. It also seems do ignore the Header/Footer settings form the memo or table style settings. Can I disable the date from printing out on the page? Thanks. Ben ...