Tab formatting

I have a couple of letters that I would like to re-use, but just change the
name, date, etc. I used to do this in Word 2000, but not sure how to set this
up in Windows 2007. I want the [name] to be "grayed out" and then be allowed
to "tab" through to change the gray area content. I used to be able to do
this by clicking on the "lock" option in the format menu. Please help!

What you are describing is a protected form. You can still access the legacy
form fields in Word 2007, but you must first display the Developer tab
(Office Button | Word Options | Popular: Show Developer tab in the Ribbon).
Then, in the Controls group, look for the Legacy Controls section, which
contains the legacy forms buttons to insert text, check box, and dropdown
form fields. Unfortunately, the palette doesn't include the padlock button
to protect the form, so you have to do that with the button on the Review
tab (or add the Lock command to the QAT).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Kirsten" <Kirsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a couple of letters that I would like to re-use, but just change the
> name, date, etc. I used to do this in Word 2000, but not sure how to set
> this
> up in Windows 2007. I want the [name] to be "grayed out" and then be
> allowed
> to "tab" through to change the gray area content. I used to be able to do
> this by clicking on the "lock" option in the format menu. Please help!

0
Suzanne

Number format lost?
Hello, When I want to format a number in Excel, I usually go in Format-Cell-Number and I got the choice of -how many decimals -thousand separator and a choice of display for negatives format like this: -1234.56 1234.56 in red (1234.56) (1234.56) in red but since a few days I have lost parentheses in that box like this: -1234.56 1234.56 in red -1234.56 1234.56 in red What happened? How can I restore it the way it was? Hi this setting depends on your regional Windows settings -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Frankyboy wrote: > Hello, > > When I want to format a num...

Formatting rows
I want white and shaded alternate rows, but not in the simple one-on one-off pattern. My spreadsheet is sorted by date in Column A. I may have 10 rows with a date of 01/09/2010, then one row with 01/10/2010, then 20 rows with 01/11/2010...you get the idea. I want all rows with a given date shaded, then all rows for the next date (and there are gaps of more than one day between some dates) left white, then all rows for the next date shaded, etc. The purpose, of course, is to make it easy to distinguish all rows for a given date at a glance. I have played with conditiona...

Conditional Formatting #2
Hello, I have a spreadsheet that has about 1200 rows many of which need to have conditional formatting. I had a template set of rows that I was transferring the conditional formatting from and it worked for 20 or so rows. Then in attempting to both copy/paste and drag formatting even further I noticed that the conditional formatting was not being transfered to the target cells. I have even tried doing one row of formatting at a time but it seems like it will not allow any more conditional formatting. The spreadsheet is a good size (about 2MB). I recieve no error messages about this. It simpl...

check box formatting #3
How do I increase the size of a check box in Excel? I inserted a check box from the form toolbars, but it's so small I can barely read it. If someone could tell me how to increase the size of the check box, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. ...

Tab Order in a Contact Form
I created a custom form, adding both buit-in fields and custom fields to the General page. However, when I go to Layout/Tab Order, only the built-in fields that exist on the built-in Contact form show up in the list. Is there any way for me to get the other built-in and custom fields to show up in the Tab Order list? Thanks, Shannon All controls (note: not fields) should appear in the tab order, but if you put some inside a frame, that frame will have its own tab order. Select the frame, then invoked the Tab Order dialog. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues...

Special Formatting of Number Field
I have a column that contains 5 digit numbers (12345) and I would like to have this column formatted to add 2 leading zeros, then the first digit, a dash, then the remaining 4 digits. For example, 12345 would be 001-2345. I would to be able to format this column of numbers automatically, and not have to do this for each cell. Select the column and choose Format/Cells/Number/Custom. Enter 000-0000 in the textbox. In article <29B63283-62A4-432E-9C32-AE090B4E1601@microsoft.com>, "weelhow" <weelhow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column that con...

Exchange tasks tab on domain controllers
When we were running Exchange 2K, I could add a mailbox from any domain controller, but can't now that we've migrated to Exchange 2K3. Was this a function of connection agreements in Exchange 2K/5.5? Is there any way to re-enable this functionality? Thx. Phil: Thanks much. Is it my imagination, or are details like that hard to find? P >-----Original Message----- >On the domain controllers that are not running Exchange run the Exchange 2003 CD install on them. Install the management tools option. This will enable the tabs in AD on that domain controller. And, yes, ...

visio newbie-formatting shapes
I am trying to use the swimlane shape with my actor shapes inside the swimlane. Every time I resize the swimlane shape, all the shapes inside fling to the far corners or the page, sometimes I never find them again. How do I stop this? I also tried teh cross functional band. The shapes will stay inside the band this time, but I cannot get the band to resize, it's boundaries are way outside my page. How can I resize the functional band? On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:36:03 -0700, "msnews.microsoft.com" <katmagic@gmail.com> wrote: >I am trying to use the s...

Combine tabs from multiple workbooks into one
I was given twelve workbooks (one for each month). Each workbook has one tab. What is the fastest way to combine the twelve workbooks (thus the twelve tabs) into a single workbook? I can open each workbook and move each tab individually, I just thought there might be a more efficient way. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Hi Alayna See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Alayna" <Alayna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCBB3B63-84D1-48BD-86D3-7F1D72E99C1C@microsoft.com... >I was given twelve workbooks...

Excel Percents formatted for 1 decimal place
I am using Excel 2007. I have a column that computes a percent. The formula looks like this: b5/26 The percents look great (ex. 96.2%). (I formatted the cell for percents to one decimal) I would like the cell to the right to say "We have "&b5&" instances, or "&b5/26 so on the cell it would say "We have 25 instances, or 96.2%) How do I do this? On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 05:57:21 -0700, Tony No Baloney set fingers to keyboard and typed: > I am using Excel 2007. > > I have a column that computes a percent. The formula looks like this: > b5/26 &g...

Icons change on IE tabs when using tabbed browsing
I've recently begun experiencing issues with the icons assigned to a site being changed on the tabs during tabbed browsing. For example, when clicking on NOAA on my favorites bar to look at weather from the NOAA site, I began getting the Wells Fargo icon on those tabs. The icon is still okay on my favorites bar, but now consistently shows the WF icon on tabs. I tried reassigning a new icon to NOAA, and it seemed okay for a while, but now I'm back to getting WF icons on NOAA tabs. This morning I had a lot of tabs open and suddenly my Fidelity icon was replaced by the Y...

Stop cross references from picking up formatting from source text
In Word 2003, I am inserting cross references to my headings. The heading styles have 6pt of space before. The cross references pick up this 6pt of space, even though they are contained in a different style. How can I stop them from picking up this space before? -- SuMi Is the spacing before added to the headings as direct formatting or part of the style? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "SuMi" <SuMi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA000EF7-9592-4EC2-A8D2-73D14E1...

Email Tracking Tab
A gentleman I work with has his setup so he can go into his Sent Items and look at the tracking tabs on the messages. He's had this setup and working for some time now, but recently this is no longer working. He has delivery and read receipts requested for anything he sends. I can't find any logical reason why he does not have the tracking tab anymore. I thought maybe it only applied to messages sent to multiple recipients, but I sent test messages and it didn't make any difference. Did he already process the returned Exchange receipts? When they are marked as read and ...

Copying conditional formats
I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other cells - very frustrated. Help infers that the Format Painter can be used, but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera). How do we just copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes? Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rules from the conditional format menu? copy the cell | go to edit | paste special | format | ok On Nov 23, 3:55=A0pm, "Blue Max" <mailrich...@msn.com> wrote: > I can't find anything in help about ...

Format Changes?
My boss frequently sends me an Excel file with certain cells and grid lines formatted to print in color, even though there is no need for me to have it in color. There's no way for me to get her to change her ways. Is there a simple way for me to change the sheet so that it will print as all black without having to individually change all her formatting? Excel 2003 Thanks for any assistance. You can try... File | Page Setup | Sheet (tab) | Black and white (check mark it) -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware (free and commercial excel programs) ...

Tab order after using pop up calendar on date field
After selecting a value in a date field by using the pop up calendar, the tab order on the screen sometimes goes to the first dollar sign ($) on the screen and tabs through each dollar sign until the last one is reached and then starts tabbing through the fields starting with the first one instead of just tabbing to the next field. This happens if the cursor was in a text or number field and the value in the field was not selected (highlighted) when the calendar button was pushed. If the date was typed in to the date field (as apposed to selected using the pop up calendar) then the su...

Column/Cell format for Vlookup
I have a lookup formula that worked intermittently =vlookup(K4,'WBS!$A2:$G$330,6,0) Here is the problem: If I change the lookup value (say from 411120 to 431130), I get an NA although the numbers are there. If I go to the lookup sheet and copy and paste the value into my worksheet, it worked. Puzzling??? After making sure that the formats were the same -- I got the same result On the advice of a friend, I used Data, Text to Columns... and noticed that the setting was set to General. When I set the setting to Text everthing worked. Why? Why does Format, Cells, Text NOT work and D...

tab not tabbing to next cell
Tab button is moving to next page, not next cell. Is there a setting for this somewhere ? Lynn, It's trying to act like Lotus 123. Tools - Options - Transition - Transition navigation keys. Turn it off. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "lynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:231f01c3a92f$c1d56290$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Tab button is moving to next page, not next cell. Is there > a setting for this somewhere ? Perfect. Thanks ! >-----Original Message----- ...

tab order #8
can you specify a tab order in excel? for example. can I specify the folowwing tab order: b1 b2 b3 b4 b10 b11 b12 and ofcourse how? gracias -- daolb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ daolb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=382504 Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "daolb" <daolb.1raiyc_1119884723.3538@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:daolb.1raiy...

Conditional Formatting "Duplicate Values"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC. Not enough detail to answer. Basically, you do it the same in Excel 2008 as you do on the PC. Search for "duplicate" in the Excel Help and it shows two techniques. Give me more detail on what you need and we can be more help. On 6/06/10 12:45 PM, in article 59bb96fd.-1@we...

Tab from one page to the next page in Tab Control
I'm stumped!! How do you get your tabs to go from one page in tab control to the next page? Right now, when I get to the bottom of the page, it tabs back to the top. I am using Access 2003 with Windows XP. I want to be able to tab from one page to the next as I complete my form. Any help is appreciated. -- retired_vol You'll need to use code to set the focus to the first control on the second tab in the LostFocus event of the last control on the first tab: Private Sub Control1_LostFocus() Me.Control2.SetFocus End Sub -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSte...

Format HD with Vista
If I want to format my HD on vista or remove partitions, what is the procedure? All I have is the back up DVD's that I made. My original HD gave me intermittent problems so I abandoned it. Is there any way to get the recovery program from the original disk onto my new hard drive? "Richard LeBlanc" <dandr@xplornet.com> wrote in message news:uij2KXI0KHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > If I want to format my HD on vista or remove partitions, what is the > procedure? > > All I have is the back up DVD's that I made. My original HD gave...

worksheet tab size
I have an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets running on a HMI touchscreen display terminal. The sheet tab height is too small for easy selection with the touch screen. Changing the default font size increases the height of cells, but doesn't affect the sheet tabs. Is there any way (other than changing the display's resolution) to increase the size of the sheet tabs? >-----Original Message----- >I have an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets running >on a HMI touchscreen display terminal. The sheet tab >height is too small for easy selection with the tou...

tab textbox by a macro
I have some textbox in a user form... I start on textbox1 and then once it is filled in a click commandbuttom1.. This click will populate some data then I then would like the cursor to move to textbox2... How do I do it with a macro and not expecting user to hit tab or enter? Hi alberto, At the end of the code run by CommandButton1 insert the following. Me.TextBox2.SetFocus -- Regards, OssieMac "Alberto Ast" wrote: > I have some textbox in a user form... > I start on textbox1 and then once it is filled in a click commandbuttom1.. > This...

Formatting: Display a minus sign before a number
How do I format a number so that it display a minus sign before the number. I have a spreadsheet that was created by someone else, and it does this, but I cannot figure out how to do it! Is it all or part of the numbers in a column? Either way, enter the number in the cell with a - sign. Then click on the column, select FORMAT>CELLS>NUMBER, select the type of number you are using (currency, general, number, etc.) and you'll see a box for negative numbers. Pick your pleasure and voila--it will show that way on your spreadsheet. If you'[ll right-click a cell, a window pops ...