Styles and Formatting

Hi, I've created my own styles and formats under my normal word document that
I'm happy with. However, when I open up someone else's word document, their
own formats remain and I no longer see the formats I've saved. How can I
remove their formatting from my styles and formatting task pane and have the
file use my own formats?

Styles are a document property. If the other user used styles with the same
names as yours, you can attach your Normal.dot and check the box for
"Automatically update document styles," but this is perverting the intent of
the user.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Evelyn" <Evelyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've created my own styles and formats under my normal word document
> that
> I'm happy with. However, when I open up someone else's word document,
> their
> own formats remain and I no longer see the formats I've saved. How can I
> remove their formatting from my styles and formatting task pane and have
> the
> file use my own formats?

0
Suzanne

How do I create Page 1 of X style page numbers?
I wish to create page numbers that automatically update themselves in this format: Page 1 of X (i.e. a 10 page document would say Page 1 of 10, Page 2 of 10, etc). Can this be done in Publisher automatically? Go to the master page, type *page* before the # and *of 10* after the #. (Without the asterisk) -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Paresh" <Paresh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50BEFAA8-6EFD-48DC-ABAC-F117296BF0B1@microsoft.com... >I wish to create page numbers that automa...

2 Qs re W2007 Styles, AutoCorrect
Q1: How do I delete styles that I've made? I don't mean delete from a document: I mean delete from the system. E.g. when I open a new document, and expand the Styles drop down list (click in lower right-hand corner of Styles group), old unwanted styles appear on the list. I delete them (I've tried deleting them directly from the list and from the Manage Styles window), but that only deletes them from that document: I open a new document and there they are again. I don't want to hide them, I want to delete them. Q2: Is there a way to work directly with the dic...

Pivot Tables: need to customize formatting
Hello: I have several PivotTables. I do not want to use the prepackaged MSoft formatting: color, fonts all that. Everytime I change the formatting and the table is subsequently refreshed for new data, the formatting is destroyed. How do I hold my formatting changes fixed? Is there a way around this goofy thing? Thanks, pepenacho mouse right-click in pivot table. untick autoformat table -- steven1001 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ steven1001's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30757 View this thread...

Cell format help needed
Recently upgraded to Excel v11.6560.6568. I have a file consisting of email addresses (one per cell) saved from a much older spreadsheet (Works 5.0). When making additions to the file using the new version, Excel wants to create a mail link in each cell that launches Outlook Express every time I click on the cell. No good....I want just plain text in each cell throughout the file. What setting do I need to change to accomplish this? Thanks in advance. GrtArtiste Tools>Autocorrect Options>Autoformat as you type. Uncheck "internet and network paths etc." Gord Dibben MS Exc...

double line format button only formats single line when added to .
When adding a double line format button to my Toolbar using the Customize, Categories Box, Command Box and then dragging the double line format button to my Toolbar, I only get a single line format when using this button. It's a bug. There's a workaround in the following thread. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3C59F286.DB7C606A%40msn.com AlwaysLearning wrote: > When adding a double line format button to my Toolbar using the Customize, > Categories Box, Command Box and then dragging the double line format button > to my Toolbar, I only get a single line format wh...

Normal + 14 Styles
Something "automatic" is messing with my formating. My user comes to me and says whenever she types a reply or a new email it shows up "really tiny" I look: She has gone into Tools/Options/Mail Format/Stationary and Fonts/Fonts and changed her font to a 14 point comic sans. She was right! Little bitty 14 point comic sans message (Normal+14 Style) followed by a Massively bigger 14 point comic sans signature (Signature Style) . . . . so unknowingly, I went in on my computer's Outlook 2003 (all patched and updated etc) and changed one of my "fonts" ("W...

Conditional format that higlights differing data on two worksheets
I have a workbook that contains a worksheet for a single week of any given month and in the sheet I have an individual's time reported for each day of the week. I have a second workbook that contains an individual's time reported by each day for the entire month. I would like to compare the two to determine if there is a mismatch and highlight those cells. The logic goes something like this: (1) I need to match person A in column C of workbook1 to the same name in column C in workbook2. (2) I then need to match the date of the month on workbook 1 & 2 for person A in step #1. (3)...

Formatting in the formula bar
When i type in a number into a cell in my worksheet, say: 42.99 Excel automatically rounds it to 43. Which is what i want and what i set it up to do. However, the number in the formula bar also rounds to 43. Normally i thought the formula bar stayed at 42.99 and only the spreadsheet cell rounds to 43. I am using Excel 2000. Please help asap as i need the formula bar to stay at 42.99 so i remember what the original number was!!! Hi maybe you have checked 'Tools - Options - Calculation - Precision as displayed' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Beccy wrote: > When ...

Random numbers, Canadian Zip Code style #2
Honestly, I don't even know where to begin -- Shocke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shocked's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26523 ...

Help styles
With great difficulty I am now creating documents with some styles.and outline numbering Now when I copy a table from another document into this document I get 1.1.1.1 and similar numbering all over the table. How do I accomplish the copy without the numbering inside the table? afd Try this: Select the table cells and press Ctrl+Shift+N. This (re-)applies the Normal style to text. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23R7DwkCdKHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > With great difficulty I a...

conditional formatting #2
In my spreadsheet there are two colums with different dates, i want to compare the two dates and if time period is greater then 3 weeks then i want them highlighted. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated Thanks What I did to resolve this was to create a third column that subtracts the dates. Then use this column and conditional formatting with a formula like =$C$4>=21 to highlight the cells. In other words: first create a column that subtracts the difference and then use conditional formatting to highlight them if the difference is greater than 21 days. Craig Huggart Microsoft...

Delete a Table Style
Is there a way to delete a table style? They do not show up in the Style pane and the Apply Style pane has no delete button. You cannot delete the built-in table styles; this applies to all kinds of styles in Word. To delete a custom style, do the following: First display the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S). Then click the Manage Styles button. In the dialog box, click the Import/Export button. Word displays the Organizer dialog box. You should see the styles of the active document in the left pane. Select the ones that you want to get rid of and click the Delete button. -- ...

Normal Style font 04-14-10
I have Office 2007 and when working in Word I have 12 Quick Style sets that I use frequently. All of my documents are based on Normal style when opened. However, when applying a Quick Style set I seem to have 5 different versions of Normal!! 2 Sets apply Normal as Calibri/11, 1 Set applies Calibri/18, 4 Sets apply Calibri/20 (which is what I want all of them to be), 2 Sets apply Arial/12, and 1 Set applies Arial/20. How can I make all of my Quick Style sets recognize the Normal Style as Calibri font with a font size of 20? I have tried setting the Normal Style as that f...

Any way to force European format dates in sheets?
Is there a way to configure Excel (Office 2000) to always display dates in Euro format instead of US? It currently accepts entries in Euro format (dd/mm/yy) but always displays them in sheets in US format (mm/dd/yy), which is kinda confusing. I can't see a configure option covering this - am I missing something? Cheers, -Neil F. Suspect this is down to your PCs settings - check control panel - Regional Options. Are you sure its accepting Euro dates, and not just those that can be mis-interpreted as US and leaving others just as text? Thanks for that, Ben. I've checked t...

Formatting without 0's
I'm linking a calculated amount in Excel to a financial statement in a Word document. The calculated amount is 0.20, but in the Word document I need the amount to read as .20 (without the 0 before the decimal point). It is an ole link from Excel to Word and I would like to leave the amounts linked so the financial statement is updated with any changes to the calculated amounts in Excel. Is this possible? Thanks Mason Mason, If you mean that you did a paste link in Word, formatting the Excel number as custom format #.00 seems to do what you want. -- HTH Bob Phillips "...

Conditional formatting #64
I want to colour code certain cells in a spreadsheet according to which row they are in: 21, 22, 75 etc etc. I have come up with the following conditional formatting formula: =NOT(ISERROR(FIND(RIGHT("00"&ROW(),4),"0021 0022 0075 0144 0149 0261 0262 0264 0387 0388 0389 0390 0391 0392 0548 0549 0563 0576 0614 0650 0690 0719"))) Is there a simpler way of doing this using conditional formatting? I appreciate that a macro may be better, but I was wondering if there is a better way to check whether the row number is in a particular list, as this would have other uses...

Doughnut Chart & Conditional Formats
I want to great a doughnut chart with 12 equally size 'segments' (Jan - Dec). For each month the value will be either blank (for a future month) or Red, Amber or Green. I then want each segment to be coloured based on it's RAG status and filled with a label that says R, A or G. Is this possible?!?! Many Thanks, Worzell P.S. I have seen from some of the other posts on here that it is possible to conditionally format a bar chart, try as I might however I have been unable to make it work for a doughnut chart! Which version of Excel are you using? worzell@hotmail.com wrote: &g...

Deleting Styles From Organizer
I am directly formatting paragraphs using Ctrl m (changing indents), Ctrl t (changing tabbing), Ctrl i, Ctrl b, (font formatting) and Ctrl 1, 2 and 3 for paragraph after settings, etc., etc. After setting up all the formatting I create a new style – Cs – which now incorporates all that formatting into the actual style formatting. I then use the following macro to now make all of these formatting attributes to be incorporated into a pre-existing style which has attributes I don't want but which I have to use (company protocol). [I use the direct formatting because it's ...

error message: Too many different cell formats.
I wanted to ask if I have an excel file with multiple sheets and this error message comes up is it ok if I take the sheet I was trying to do work on, send it to a new excel file "eg. book1" and then work on it? And if I do this can I put the sheet worked on back into the excel file i took it out of without getting that message? -- Vince Hill Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about that: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 This happens in large spreadsheets that are format-intensive. Excel can keep track of about 4000 different combinati...

Excell 2000 Newbie question
Excel 2000 Windows 2000 I need some assistance, guidance or inspiration on how to complete a certain task within excel. Here is my scenario, Column "C" throughout our spreadsheet is a status indicator, we have specific codes that get entered into this cell. I would like to setup the spreadsheet so that if a certain status is entered in Column "C" the entire row will be highlighted a certain color based on the status. I know how to do this with conditional formatting, but the problem is that there are more than 3 different conditions. Example, Col C = bk - Row highligh...

Format Excel Data Labels
::Help! ::I have been given an excel file with data and charts already created. I simply want to reformat some of the data labes in the charts. Normally, when you double click on a data label, it will select ALL of the existing labels and let you modify them all at once. That is not possible in these charts. Only one can be chosen at a time. I've never seen this. Plus, if I create a new chart (within the same worksheet), the problem does not happen again. Any thoughts on what could be preventing this? Thanks very much. -Ross -- Rossv ---------------------------------------------...

Format for Significant Digits
Can you format a number in a cell or rows of cells to be displayed in significant digits instead of number of decimal places? [i.e. 21.8, 0.625, 484 instead of 21.8, 0.6, 484.0] Hi there's no such format. You'll have to use a formula which processes your value -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pavlov" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:142d01c499ae$2b9a2ca0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can you format a number in a cell or rows of cells to be > displayed in significant digits instead of number of > decimal places? [i.e. 21....

styles.xml part (Styles) error
Hi, I am exporting data from an Access 2007 database into Excel 2007 .xlsx format and as part of the export I select the keep formatting option. Everything seems to work fine, but when I try to open the .xlsx file I get the following errors: "Excel found unreadable content in 'spreadsheet.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes." I click Yes, then get a dialog box labeled "Reairs to 'spreadsheet.xlsx'. The dialog shows: Repaired Records: Format from /xl/styles.xml part (Style...

Please help with Conditional Formatting
Hi all, I am trying to get a cell to change color when: D5 contains "/" in the form of for example: CM/F/CM or C/C I tried different variations of: Formula Is------------------$D$5= "*/*" but it does not work, any ideas? Thanks for nay help, Emilio Hi! Try this: Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("/",A1)) Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi all, > >I am trying to get a cell to change color when: > D5 contains "/" in the form of for example: > >CM/F/CM or C/C > >I tried different variations of: > >Formula Is...

Need help on comparison of dates in different format.
Hi I have question pertaining comparison of dates in different format :- eg. 20 April , 2004 [Cell A1] 20-4-04 [Cell A2] I was using if not function. ie. if(A1=A2, True, False). The result always shown as False. Pls help as to how could I do correct way solving this problem. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** Hi are both cells real date values or are they stored as 'Text'?. Check both values with =ISNUMBER(A1) =ISNUMBER(A2) th...