Spell check in Word and Outlook

We received this message from an 86-year-old relative. The problem was solved
was on his computer, now needs to be solved on her computer, and we are two
hours away. It almost sounds like they bought a foreign language version of
Office, but that English is not a choice. Any solutions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She sent her first e-mail after you had installed the Microsoft Office Home
and Student 2007.

"The problem is that the spell checker flags every practically every word in
the message even though they are not misspelled.

"I remembered then that the technician who saved my data from the crashed
old computer and then loaded up the new computer with various software found
that the new spell checker had a problem in that it also checked as
misspelled many words that were not.  I vaguely remember that it seemed to
have a French bias so the technician experimented to get it back into a
purely English version - but somehow or other none of the tinkering worked,
so he then, I think, somehow or other uninstalled the spell checker part of
the new software and then went searching (in the Internet ?) for a new spell
checker to replace the old one.  He found one somewhere for free and
downloaded and installed it.  It worked very well but I was somewhat
disappointed to find that it apparently didn't know nearly as many words as I
know and in fact not nearly as many as I thought it should know.  Of course
over time I have kept adding new words to it so that it has become reasonably
wortreich."

I believe the issue here is with Outlook Express rather than Outlook. Office
Home and Student 2007 doesn't include Outlook, and it also doesn't share its
proofing tools with Outlook Express any more. If there are problems with
spell checking in Word itself, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm, but if the issue is
with OE wanting to spell check in French, then a third-party spelling
checker is indeed what is needed (unless you can reinstall the proofing
tools from a previous version of Office); see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm and
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061229.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Je" <Je@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We received this message from an 86-year-old relative. The problem was
> solved
> was on his computer, now needs to be solved on her computer, and we are
> two
> hours away. It almost sounds like they bought a foreign language version
> of
> Office, but that English is not a choice. Any solutions?
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "She sent her first e-mail after you had installed the Microsoft Office
> and Student 2007.
>
> "The problem is that the spell checker flags every practically every word
> in
> the message even though they are not misspelled.
>
> "I remembered then that the technician who saved my data from the crashed
> old computer and then loaded up the new computer with various software
> found
> that the new spell checker had a problem in that it also checked as
> misspelled many words that were not.  I vaguely remember that it seemed to
> have a French bias so the technician experimented to get it back into a
> purely English version - but somehow or other none of the tinkering
> worked,
> so he then, I think, somehow or other uninstalled the spell checker part
> of
> the new software and then went searching (in the Internet ?) for a new
> spell
> checker to replace the old one.  He found one somewhere for free and
> downloaded and installed it.  It worked very well but I was somewhat
> disappointed to find that it apparently didn't know nearly as many words
> as I
> know and in fact not nearly as many as I thought it should know.  Of
> course
> over time I have kept adding new words to it so that it has become
> reasonably
> wortreich."

0
Suzanne

"Rule Could not be Created, check your folder permissions"
Outlook 2002, WinXP Pro.. tried adding work's exchange server but couldn't access it through the internet. Removed the Exchange account from Tools->Email Accounts, and now cannot create message rules with the "Organize" button on the toolbar. Any way to restore the permissions? Try running Detect and Repair. Also, ask your Exchange admin for the protocol to access your Exchange server mail. He will probably have to set you up with a VPN connector and give you some instructions. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discuss...

Formula in word 2003
create a formula in a word form. I have a situation where I ned to provide an auto response based on the number d in a bokmarked cell "Risk1" I have tried the following but it brings up an error {if { risk1 } <="4""YES"}{if {risk1}>"4"<"10""Stop"}{if{risk1}>"9"<"17""Report"} The basic requirement is to provide a different response based on a number value in form field bookmark "Risk1" which can range between 1-4, 5-9, 10-16 and 17-25 each of the above ranges need a...

Spell Check preferences?
Hi all, I have a user that is having problems with spell checking in Office 2004. When I set office up I did a full install with proofing tools, etc. The user is running OS 10.4.1. Here is the problem: spell checking never works unless he manually sets it up (he has to got through the tools->language & uncheck "do not check spelling or grammar..") routine for every single document he creates. My question is: Is there a way to set this to default for all documents? Thanks, burn01 jacobbehrnes@gmail.com I'm guessing you're talking about Word here. In Word, go to F...

spelling script
Hi Guys, I'm trying to write a small spelling script that will do the following: Read a word from a text file: show it to the user then needs to type it without any spelling mistake if OK, he gets the next word in the text file if not than he needs to type the word again until he gets it right. Can any one help me with this ? Cheers, Simon "Type each word as it appears then hit enter. Type quit to exit." foreach ($word in (get-content words.txt)) { $correct = $false do { $answer = Read-Host $word if ($answer -ceq $word) {$correct = $true} if ($answer -eq &...

Outlook/Exchange sync issues
When implementing CRM 3.0 we discovered a potential problem with sync issues where the users Outlook is trying to retreive appointment he/she is not a member of. This results in aprox 3 error per minute/user in Sync Issues and Local Failures folders in Outlook. (it has nothing to do with syncronizing of CRM data) Microsoft provided a hotfix KB933099, for this and the problem was gone. Now when having upgraded to CRM 4.0, we have exactly the same situation again. 2-3000 errors per user a day!!! With exactly the same issue. Doesn't MS correct discovered bugs in older products when de...

INserting Word Docs into E mail Outlook 2007
Want to be able to ijsert a formatted Word into the body of an E mail. ...

Outlook hanging on ADSL
We are experiencing this issue at work. Just to give you an overview of the setup we have; we connect to an exchange server using outlook as the email client, to connect to the corporate network we are using ADSL and going through the Nortel VPN client. Anyone got any ideas why this may be occurring, settings to check etc? More info on your network might help. You're in a remote office, using VPN to connect to the main office where the Exchange server lives? Any reason you can't just set up a VPN WAN link between the two networks rather than using individual client software (whi...

Spell check anomaly
When I REPLY to a message, WLM always checks the spelling on the original message even though I have selected the option to ignore the original text in a reply. What gives? Is that a bug in WLM? Tom If you save a message to Drafts or an EML file or open while in the Outbox, that will happen since it lost track of what was original and what was new. Or is this happening when you just start a new reply? If so are you interspersing your reply with the original message? Or using stationery? -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "Tom Brown" <Bu...

spell check #9
The spell check is not working. I click on it an nothing happens. No errors messages. I don't know how to set it up , if that is what needs to be done. Teri wrote: > The spell check is not working. I click on it an nothing > happens. No errors messages. I don't know how to set it > up , if that is what needs to be done. And what version of Outlook are you running? ...

Outlook/Word Email Editor Reply error
When using Word as your email editor I receive a message stating "Title: Microsoft Office Outlook (Message: Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead) I was running a beta version of Office prior to this and that's the only thing i can recall. I have since then done a total uninstall of any office component and a full reinstall to see that the problem still exists. I've tried reregistering word with a winword /r. I've tried r...

How do you open PDF files with Word 2007?
I must figure out how to open PDF files in Word 2007. I am taking on line classes and work is shared in PDF format. I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop that came loaded with Windows 7. I have had it a week and need help. I tried to download the Microsoft PDF add on, but it did not work. I can only read code when I open incoming PDF files. The default program is listed as Word. What am I doing wrong? You don't. You need a PDF reader, the most common being Adobe Acrobat Reader which you can download for free. It is huge and has some clever tools, but if you only want to read th...

wanting to add boxes that can be checked
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am wanting to add boxes that can be checked or unchecked. <br> Any suggestions? Thank you It's a Field named "Checkbox". Try Insert>HTML Object>Checkbox... Or: View>Toolbars>Forms and use the Forms checkbox. The HTML one looks nicer :-) Cheers On 29/05/10 1:54 AM, in article 59bb91c1.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "The_Bean@officeformac.com" <The_Bean@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) P...

cyclic redundancy error in outlook?
i had this error once before and had to revert back to a .pst file that was 2 years old (my bad for not backing up my data). well, a year later it has happened again. it is totalling screwing up my outlook. is there any way to repair/fix this file? what is causing this? we normally always leave our computer on. it is on 24 hours a day with outlook running. both times that this problem has happened is after we have shut down our computer before going away on vacation. the problem appeared both times right after we returned and booted up the computer. thoughts? What is the exa...

outlook 2000
Any message in any Outlook folder dated prior to 10/25/03 can not be moved or deleted. Get a message which states that "errors have been detected... Quite all Outlook ... use the Inbox Repair Tool. I must assume this tool is SCANPST.EXE. When I use it, it finds no error. Anyone know of another Outlook Repair tool? Any other ideas? Thanks! J.F. W. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Any message in any Outlook folder dated prior to 10/25/03 > can not be moved or deleted. Get a message which states > that "errors have been detected... Quite all Outl...

How do I get Outlook to remember my settings?
I want to leave emails on the server but outlook will not keep that setting. I checke the box over and over again but it will not remember What do I do?? Do you have trouble saving any other settings on your computer? If you recreate that mail account on your machine, does it work then? "KAREN4390" <KAREN4390@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7A2B6B2-3C18-447C-8220-312C934F0B8E@microsoft.com... >I want to leave emails on the server but outlook will not keep that >setting. > I checke the box over and over again but it will not remember Wha...

Outlook Set Regarding Feature
When using Outlook to email contacts, we would like to record that communication against each account or Contact in CRM. We use the Track in CRM button and then select the 'Set Regarding' feature, however this 'Set Regarding' feature only allows us to assoicate the email to a single account or contact. Is it possible to select multiple accounts or contacts, or does this kind of email need to be generated via CRM and not Outlook. Many thanks Steve Hi, You can set regarding to multiple entities in CRM 4. Regards, Donna "Steve Le Monnier" wrote: > When...

Outlook hangs when trying to open messages with certificates
I am unable to open messages with Digital Certificates. Also, atempting to do this hangs the program and I get a not- responding error. Any sugestions are welcomed. ...

spell checker is not finding spelling errors, any suggestions?
Spell checker finds no spelling errors and tells me that it has completed its review. Yet, I have deliberately mis-spelled words in order to test the spell checker, and it is not finding these mis-spelled words. I am thinking that spell checker is not being pointed to the right dictionary, or any dictionary, but I can't seem to troubleshoot this on my own. Any suggestions? Spellbound wrote: > Spell checker finds no spelling errors and tells me that it has > completed its review. Yet, I have deliberately mis-spelled words in > order to test the spell checker, and it is not...

::: Outlook 2003
Hello, It seams more than logical that the tasks (that includes start and due date) will be connected (automated link) with the calendar (time management). Is it the case? It does not work on my pc. If it is possible how do you do to connect or link the tasks to the calendar? Thank you for any help! .... these tasks are killing me ;) Jacques ...

finding readability statistics in Word 2007
How do you get the readability statistics information to display in Word 2007? I think I have it enabled by using the Microsoft Office button/word options/proofing/check gramar with spelling is selected/and show readability statistics is checked, but when I hit the "okay" button, nothing shows up). As in all other versions of Word, after you enable the statistics in the Options dialog, they'll show up only at the end of a manual spell-check that you start by pressing F7. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot ...

pfbackup.rxe with outlook 2007?
Does the MS pst backup utility work with Outlook 2007? (The web page says Outlook 2002/3)... Dear Gordon, yes, it works also with Outlook 2007. -- Oliver Vukovics Share your Outlook PST files without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Synchronisation for Outlook and Exchange: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Ol9LLpnXIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Does the MS pst backup utility work with Outlook 2007? (The web page says > Outlook 2002/3)... > "Oliver Vukovics [Public Sharewa...

predictive spelling
Does anyone know of a predictive spelling add- in for Excel 2000 or later? Other than the built in one, that is. I'd like something which refers to a separate worksheet that I can specify. TIA Greg Little ...

CRM + Outlook Problem
Hi there I've always had the problem (as an admin) where I cannot open the settings section of CRM when Outlook is also open (this also applies to the service calender). This has been a niggling annoyance, but I've lived with it. Now I cannot enter the settings section at all. Outlook is not open at all, and I have turned off Synchronisation, reset my PC many times and even had the whole busines server restarted, but to no avail. I really need to be able to access the settings section to continue developing CRM for the company I work with. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Robe...

Outlook Rules and settings auto respond
I have recently started using outlook instead of outlook express. i run a small website and want to autorespond to some emails. when i was using outlook express this was no problem i set up an email with the details on and it sent it but now with outlook 2003 the rules do not allow this unless u use exchange server 2003 which i dont have and cant run on xp. is there any way round this ...

outlook won't open word docs
All of a sudden I can't open attached word docs. A file I was reading, now I can't open. Says "cannot create file *.doc. Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check yoru permissions for the folder. I did that and I have all permissions. I'm just trying to open the doc, not saving it. I have never had this issue and I open attached word docs all the time. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm "DWheel" <DWheel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B7F...