Simple form, impossible to find a solution

Hi all,
My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word 2007
in the same way I used them in Word 2003.
Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table with 3
columns (example):
       |Name|                                |Address|
|phone number|
Now I wish to place text fields in each row.

       [Text field]                           [Text field]
    [Text field]

My question:

When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar to Word
2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the coursor whent
automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to fill the
first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?

The lock icon is still available, but harder to find. Go to Office button >
Word Options > Customize. Set the command category dropdown to All Commands.
Scroll down and click on the Lock command in the list. Click the Add button
in the middle of the dialog, and then click OK.

This adds the lock button to the Quick Access Toolbar, and you can use the
form exactly as in Word 2003.

Instead of opening a "document" and locking it, save an empty locked form as
a template. Then use the New command (on the Office button menu) to make new
form documents based on the template, and they'll open with the form already
locked.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

1abc wrote:
> Hi all,
> My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word
> 2007 in the same way I used them in Word 2003.
> Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table
> with 3 columns (example):
>       |Name|                                |Address|
>> phone number|
> Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
>
>       [Text field]                           [Text field]
>    [Text field]
>
> My question:
>
> When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar
> to Word 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and
> the coursor whent automatically to the very first text field to be
> filled, in order to fill the first field and to skip to the next
> one(s) using the Tab key?

0
Jay
6/4/2010 5:18:22 PM
First, display the Developer tab: Click the Office button, and then click Word
Options. In the Popular category, select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon."
Click OK.

On the Developer tab, click the Legacy Tools button (in the Controls group) to
insert the form fields of previous versions. To enforce the protection, click
the Protect Document button (in the Protect group).

Note that you can add the Lock command to the Quick Access Toolbar (via Office
button | Word Options | Customize); that way, you can turn protection on/off a
bit quicker.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"1abc" <1abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word 2007
> in the same way I used them in Word 2003.
> Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table with 3
> columns (example):
>       |Name|                                |Address|
> |phone number|
> Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
>
>       [Text field]                           [Text field]
>    [Text field]
>
> My question:
>
> When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar to Word
> 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the coursor whent
> automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to fill the
> first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?

0
Stefan
6/4/2010 5:26:24 PM
Hi Jay and Stefan,

So far I managed to find the "Protect document" button in the Developper's
Ribbon.

As I use a Dutch interface it's a bit difficult to sort this out.
Given the importance of this issue for me and due to the fact that I have to
use both Word 2003 and 2007 in my PC in order to be able to use a huge amount
of forms created in 2003 as I can't find the way to use them in 2007, I'd
really appreciate if you could contact me on private. Maybe we could reach an
aggreement on how to get a kind of wizzard with screenshots in order to solve
this important problem for me.

The final result I'd like to reach in Word 2007 would be to start a new
document>click on dhe lock button>go to the first text field, insert the
necessary data and then skip to the next/other fields using the Tab button.

Thank you in advance.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> First, display the Developer tab: Click the Office button, and then click Word
> Options. In the Popular category, select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon."
> Click OK.
>
> On the Developer tab, click the Legacy Tools button (in the Controls group) to
> insert the form fields of previous versions. To enforce the protection, click
> the Protect Document button (in the Protect group).
>
> Note that you can add the Lock command to the Quick Access Toolbar (via Office
> button | Word Options | Customize); that way, you can turn protection on/off a
> bit quicker.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "1abc" <1abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word 2007
> > in the same way I used them in Word 2003.
> > Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table with 3
> > columns (example):
> >       |Name|                                |Address|
> > |phone number|
> > Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
> >
> >       [Text field]                           [Text field]
> >    [Text field]
> >
> > My question:
> >
> > When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar to Word
> > 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the coursor whent
> > automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to fill the
> > first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?
>

> .

You should not have to lock the new document provided the template is
locked.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

> [...]
>> > with 3
>> > columns (example):
>> > ==================================================
>> >       |Name|                                |Address|
>> > |phone number|
>> > ==================================================
>> > Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
>> >
>> >       [Text field]                           [Text field]
>> >    [Text field]
>> >
>> > My question:
>> >
>> > When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar to
>> > Word
>> > 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the coursor
>> > whent
>> > automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to
>> > fill the
>> > first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?

0
Suzanne
6/4/2010 10:38:13 PM
Ensure that any form created in Word 2007 for use in Word 2003 is saved in
Word97-2003 document format or when opened via the converter in Word 2003,
the form will be unlocked. Forms created and protected in Word 2003 should
work exactly the same in Word 2007.

For  help on creating protected forms, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/FillinTheBlanks.htm

In order to use form fields in Word 2007, you will need to display the
Developer tab (Office Button > Word Options > Popular > Show the Developer
tab in the Ribbon) and then use the  Legacy Forms controls from the Legacy
Tools palette in the Controls group on that tab. You will find those
controls more accessible if you modify the ribbon as described at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> [...]
>> > with 3
>> > columns (example):
>> > ==================================================
>> >       |Name|                                |Address|
>> > |phone number|
>> > ==================================================
>> > Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
>> >
>> >       [Text field]                           [Text field]
>> >    [Text field]
>> >
>> > My question:
>> >
>> > When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar to
>> > Word
>> > 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the coursor
>> > whent
>> > automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to
>> > fill the
>> > first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?

0
Graham
6/5/2010 5:06:52 AM
I wish to thank all of you Jay, Stefan, Suzanne and Graham for the right
suggestion and help.
Once I identified the right'"Lock button" and added it to my Word 2007 tools
ribbon all works perfectly and in the same way as in Word 2003.

"1abc" wrote:

> Hi all,
> My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word 2007
> in the same way I used them in Word 2003.
> Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table with 3
> columns (example):
>        |Name|                                |Address|
> |phone number|
> Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
>
>        [Text field]                           [Text field]
>     [Text field]
>
> My question:
>
> When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar to Word
> 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the coursor whent
> automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to fill the
> first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?
I wish to warn those same persons that if you ever contact that them =
unsolicited requesting paid consulting services they should ignore you.  =

>I wish to thank all of you Jay, Stefan, Suzanne and Graham for the =
right=20
> suggestion and help.
> Once I identified the right'"Lock button" and added it to my Word 2007 =
tools=20
> ribbon all works perfectly and in the same way as in Word 2003.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "1abc" wrote:
>=20
>> Hi all,
>> My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word =
2007=20
>> in the same way I used them in Word 2003.
>> Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table =
with 3=20
>> columns (example):=20
>> =

>>        |Name|                                |Address|                =
      =20
>> |phone number|
>> =

>> Now I wish to place text fields in each row.
>>=20
>>        [Text field]                           [Text field]            =
      =20
>>     [Text field]
>>=20
>> My question:
>>=20
>> When I open this form and want to fill it in, is there a way similar =
to Word=20
>> 2003 where I used to click on the icon with the padlock and the =
coursor whent=20
>> automatically to the very first text field to be filled, in order to =
fill the=20
>> first field and to skip to the next one(s) using the Tab key?
0
Greg

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Unable to create forms in database
We recently upgraded from Office 97 to 2003. We have a database which contains several forms/queries used by all. I run into problems when I am trying to create a new form in a database that is being used by a coworker. They are not accessing my form but one not connected. But I am getting the following message. " you do not have exclusive access to teh database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later." Is this a security setting that can be changed? This was never a problem in the earlier versions of Access. thanks All ve...

Form Viewing Problem
Hi, I've created a new Form for logging in phone calls. I've created the worksheets and relationships. My problem is I was able to view (and use) my Form yesterday, but then added a new field. Now, under the Form tab, I can only view the Design View, not the Form or Layout View (it only shows the header and there is a small black dash in the top right section of where the body should be). The same is true for the Phone Log Worksheet (all my previously entered data is there). If I open the Copy of the Form, I can see all the Views. I tried to remove the new field hoping th...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Form Design
I feel fairly confident that I have my tables and relationships decently set. My problem now is how to display it for my staff to work with. I need some help with form layout Here's my scoop. I am re-building a camp database that was laid out on one entire table!!! So many fields... So many empty fields too. Nonetheless, we are moving onward and here is what I have... I have a camp database that has the following tables now: tblcamperinfo demographic info that may change (primary table) tblparentinfo info on parents and addresses could be more than one tblcmprcnty...

MouseUP is firing when Form is Loaded
I have a bound listbox control on a form whose MouseUp event is firing for some reason between when I double-click the Form to load it, and when control passes to the user. I am *not aware* of anything going on in the code to cause this, and there is no call to the MouseUp event nor any class modules which hook that control, which could be causing it. It has been a long time since I coded in Access and I cannot say I have used this control event much anyway -- but it would seem to me to not be an intuitive behavior. Some stuff happens in that event which I can't really contr...

Custom form could not be opened???
Ran into this issue yesterday, and am completely stumped: User has an email that when he double-clicks on it to open it he received the following message: "The custom form could not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found". After saying OK to that warning then the email comes up. What's weird is when you first go into OL there is no icon for the message (no envelope) until you single click on it. Furthermore, after the email opens up then the message cannot be printed and the following message is returned: "One or mo...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Order form
I would like to crete an order form that once you add the code of the product all the other information will appear eg Price, description, colour and so on... I have seen another programme that did it but cant' find any information on how to do it.. Thanks in advance for your help :) -- mich72 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mich72's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19280 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=468455 Hi mich72 Look in the help for the Vlookup function If...

how can i find out what all the terms in the regression analysis .
Help is a good place to start. There is Help for the Analysis ToolPak regression tool, and for the LINEST() function, both of which define what is being returned. If you want more understanding about the value of these books, try an introductory statistics book, or ask a more specific question. Jerry may wrote: <nothing> ...

Auto-populate a form
Is there a way to auto-populate a form using data indexed to a primary key in a table? That is, when I enter the primary key value in a form, I want the remaing fields to automatically pull data from a table with that primary key and populate the remaining fields. -- DSM I would suggest an unbound combo with a row source based on your primary key field. Then use the After Update event of the comb to locate the record and make it the current record: Private Sub MyCombo_AfterUpdate() With Me.RecordsetClone .FindFirst "[PrimeKeyField] = " & Me.MyCombo ...

Embedded Combobox (Form Control)
On a sheet I have an embedded from control that, upon clicking a commandbutton, I want the value of the combobox copied to another sheet. Currently, the code below has "Empty" as the value of the all of the comboboxes (named "CBCell" even though the properties window shows the text and value as my selection. What am I missing in the following code? Sub Button120_Click() Dim WS As Worksheet Set WS = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Q-Investment Rebalancing") Sheets("Client Agenda").Visible = True Sheets("Client Agenda").Rang...

Parameterized query in form
My form exports a query. The query needs to select some or all "MICAP"s and some or all "Project"s. My form has an option box [optMICAPS] and another option box [optProjects]. When the option radio button is cleared, a combo box is made visible for selecting a MICAP or Project (cbMICAPID, etc.) The underlying query has a "where" clause like: WHERE MICAPID = IIf([Forms]![frmLaborHistoryExtract]![optMICAPS],"*",[Forms]![frmLaborHistoryExtract]![cbMICAPID]) Similarly for the Project selection. The MICAPID is numeric, as is the ProjectID. When th...

combo box filters on continuous form
Access03/WinXP On a subform, I am using two combo boxes for data selection. The first combo box allows the user to select a Primary category; the AfterUpdate property sets the RowSource for the second combo box where the user will select a Secondary category. In the AfterUpdate of the second combo box, I am using Me.Refresh and Me.Requery. This works without issue. The problem is that on selection of the Primary category where any previous records in the continuous form do not match the Primary category of the current record "lose" the data of the Secondary combo box. I ...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

Reports
Greetings, If i have a combo box on a form that runs a report, can i reference hidden columns form it ( Im assuming as I only pass in the bound column, probably not) ?? e.g. =[Forms]![frmstudentletter]![cbostudentid]![Column](1) Doesnt like the above .. And how can I concatenate fields? It doesnt like =[FirstName] & " " & [SurName] Cheers Rob On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:01:12 -0000, Rob W wrote: > Greetings, > > If i have a combo box on a form that runs a report, can i reference hidden > columns form it ( Im assuming as I only pass in the bound column, p...

Finding attachments in Caleldar events
I have virtually filled up my Calendar folder by accepting calendar events that had attachments. Since I keep nearly all important events for the past few years in my calendar folder I am having a very difficult time identifiying which events have attachments so I can selectively delete those events to minimize my calendar folder size. Any easy way to identify which events have attachment? Need someone's help Jim, switch to your Calendar and do an Advanced Find: Tools > Advanced Find (in Outlook 2003: Tools > Find > Advanced Find). Look for: = Appointments and meetings;...

How do I print only checked off items from a checklist form
Is it possible to use Word to create a form with checkboxes. The form is printed and used as a checkoff by endusers. Once the enduser completes the paper form its submitted and data entry enters the checks on the electronic form and from that creates a Word document with only the checked off items on the list? See the Boiler.zip on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at: http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "mccrea...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

Tricky Scenario finding days/months/years! #2
I have tried both your solutions, i return a #VALUE! Error when place in both scenarios. Here is the method in which i set up the data. SMS SME Date Result Mon 29/12/2003 Sun 25/01/2004 01/03/04 =VLOOKUP((G5),2,2,(E5:F16)) Mon 26/01/2004 Sun 29/02/2004 Mon 01/03/2004 Sun 28/03/2004 =TEXT(G5,E5:F16) Mon 29/03/2004 Sun 25/04/2004 Mon 26/04/2004 Sun 30/05/2004 Mon 31/05/2004 Sun 27/06/2004 Mon 28/06/2004 Sun 25/07/2004 Mon 26/07/2004 Sun 29/08/2004 Mon 30/08/2004 Sun 26/09/2004 Mon 27/09/2004 Sun 31/10/2004 Mon 01/11/2...

Recordsets and Forms
Right now, I have a database with three tables. The first table (tblAdvisors) has a list of advisors with some basic information about each one (last name, first name, email address). The second table (jtblLocationAdvisor) is a join table where the campuses that an advisor advises for are stored (Example: John Smith advises for campus 238 and 241, so his Advisor ID and the Location Numbers he advises for are stored in this table). The third table (jtblAcademicProgramsByLocationAdvisor) stores the programs that an advisor advises for on a particular campus. Each of these tables is linked togeth...

Outlook Calendar doesn't show up -- magic solution post exists somewhere
There is a post somewhere, that I have searched for and searched for, that has a simple solution for making the Outlook calendar magically reappear. All it involves is hitting two keys something like <Control> and 6. Unfortunately, I can't remember the two keys nor can I find the post again. But the solution works so well . . . and I can't remember what it was. Ususally I write down wonderful tips but must have forgotten this time! Does anyone know what the magic solution is or where I can find that wonderful post> Ctrl+6 brings up the folder list so you can see all of your ...