Retrieve document that was closed as Document 1?

I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I accidently
closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page.  I had not saved
the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will get
Document 1 but it will be blank.   Is there any way I can retrieve this
document?
Frank C.

If you didn't save it there's nothing to recover.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Frank C." <FrankC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I
>accidently
> closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page.  I had not
> saved
> the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will
> get
> Document 1 but it will be blank.   Is there any way I can retrieve this
> document?
> Frank C.

0
Graham
1/16/2010 6:42:27 AM
If you're using Word 2010 then you should be able to recover a good portion
of the document, if not all of the content you wanted to keep with the new
Recover Unsaved Versions feature. If the file was never previously saved
(which it sounds like it wasn't), click the File Tab and at the bottom of
the Recent Documents list, click "Recover unsaved documents." You may need
to open a few unsaved documents to find the one you are looking for. If it
was previously saved, reopen the last saved version of the document, click
the File Tab and then on the Info tab you'll find the ability to open the
last autosaved version in the Versions section.

If you aren't using Word 2010 then as Graham noted, unfortunately you're out
of luck.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Frank C." <FrankC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I
> accidently
> closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page.  I had not
> saved
> the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will
> get
> Document 1 but it will be blank.   Is there any way I can retrieve this
> document?
> Frank C.

0
Beth
1/16/2010 6:47:16 PM
Interesting - however for those without 2010 and a little money to spend,
Undelete Professional 2009 offers the same sort of function for earlier Word
versions by storing all the deleted autorecovery files (and everything else
you delete whether by accident of design) - though of course only from the
time you install this software and in the case of autorecovery, you do have
to have that function switched on. The first time you lose an important
document it will pay for itself.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Beth Melton" <bmelton@NoSpam4Memvps.org> wrote in message
> If you're using Word 2010 then you should be able to recover a good
> portion of the document, if not all of the content you wanted to keep with
> the new Recover Unsaved Versions feature. If the file was never previously
> saved (which it sounds like it wasn't), click the File Tab and at the
> bottom of the Recent Documents list, click "Recover unsaved documents."
> You may need to open a few unsaved documents to find the one you are
> looking for. If it was previously saved, reopen the last saved version of
> the document, click the File Tab and then on the Info tab you'll find the
> ability to open the last autosaved version in the Versions section.
>
> If you aren't using Word 2010 then as Graham noted, unfortunately you're
> out of luck.
>
> ~Beth Melton
> Microsoft Office MVP
>
> "Frank C." <FrankC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I
>> accidently
>> closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page.  I had not
>> saved
>> the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will
>> get
>> Document 1 but it will be blank.   Is there any way I can retrieve this
>> document?
>> Frank C.

0
Graham

How to model 1:1 Relationship in CRM 4.0?
Since CRM 4.0 only offers 1:N, N:1, and N:N Relationships, what's the best way to model a 1:1 relationship between two entities? For example, Entity A and B have 1 to 0 or 1 relationship. How can it be achieved in CRM 4.0? Thanks! ...

How to retrieve the string from dialog box
Hi All, Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line for users to be aware of it in my application. I don't know how to retrieve the string in IDC_STATIC control on a dialog box. It would be very nice that someone let me know how to do that without calling the dialog box. TIA Hwasoo Lee Back 9 wrote: > Hi All, > > Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? > I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line &g...

Styles: Applying a style to one paragraph changes whole document
I am using Word 2007 for the first time as a formating tool. I have created a style called 'Dissertation Body', based on 'Normal'. I try to apply the Style to one paragraph but for some reason the whole document changes to the same style. I cant figure out why this is happening. I am good with the previous version of word but cant figure it out in this version. Can anybody help See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>&...

retrieve an AVERAGE of a range using VLOOKUP to locate start/end d
Can I calculate the average of a range based on VLOOKUP? In other words, can I get Excel to "look up" the respective START / END dates of an investment position listed in Sheet 1 and then go and locate those 2 distinct cell values in in a different sheet (Sheet 2) utilizing VLOOKUP function and then return the calculated AVERAGE of the cells within that range back into Sheet 1? Appreciate any thoughts if doable in Excel in any way? tAKE A LOOK AT AverageIFS and see if that does what you want. If it were me, I'd probably enter the formula manually, record the resu...

Certain messages cause OE to close
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CAA0D6.201BD1A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Opening certain messages (many) in my OE causes it to automatically shut = down. I can't tell what are the specific characteristic of the emails = that cause this. I've disabled my AVG anti virus/email checker with no = improvement. Security settings in OE seem normal. Maybe something = corrupt in my OE? JK ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CAA0D6.201BD1A0 Content-Type: text/html; chars...

Search for Words in Attached Documents
Hi, I'm trying to create a engineering database whereby there will be hyperlinks to engineering documents. I'm trying to create a query whereby I can search for words in the attached engineering documents. How can it be done? Please do not multi-post and cross-post your question. You are much better served to have 1 post were everyone's ideas are located so a true discussion can occur. See you post at for a possible solution: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.a...

Trying to print a document
Hi, When I try to print a document from Word. I get this message. (Printers Queue is stopped -Really Print?) This is my last resort before I have to pay for help. I have a Power Mac G3 with an 80 GB partioned hard drive. (8GB & 72 GB). Running OSX 10.2 My printer can run a test page so I have to assume it's not the printer. It would be a great help if some can give me the fix. Thank you so much. In article <1151101c3f4ca$6a39cd50$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Alfio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > When I try to print a document from Word. > ...

Close Message box
I have created a message box with the following: Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If ([REASON1] = 1 And [PLATFORM] = "QL" And [CLIENT_CARRIER_CODE] = "lzboy") Then MsgBox "Please check elegibility on RxClaim for DOF!" Me.PLATFORM.SetFocus '<---Assumption: control name is 'Platform" Cancel = True End If ExitProc: Exit Sub ProcError: MsgBox "Error" & Err.Number & ":" & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error in procedure Form_BeforeUpdate..." Resume ExitProc End Sub What this does...

Retrieve mouse position
Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! xg >Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates >even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! Have you tried calling GetCursorPos? If you want to know when the mouse is moving I think you'll need to use a hook - have a look at SetWindowsHookEx WH_MOUSE. Dave IN addition to David's answer, you have not stated the problem you are trying to solve. For examp...

Macro to print document in Duplex format
I am trying to write a macro in a template (.dot) file to be used on 2000 documents based on it. The macro has code to print duplex. The code is give below. I get error 'Unable to set shared printer settings' while trying to assign printersettings. Isnt it the same like changing the Duplex setting in the print->printing preferances? Please advice. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Option Explicit Public Type PRINTER_DEFAULTS pDatatype As Long pDevmode As Long DesiredAccess As Long End Type ...

Retrieving messages
Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did not crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are all the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program needs to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks. P89 If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file called Outlook.pst. If you have that you can import all the information. Al "peterson89" <peterson...

Money closes
I have been using Money 2003 for 2 weeks now and suddenly when I try to open the program,it just starts and I get the music and then it all shuts down. Can anyone help? Does it open the sample file if you navigate to it with Windows Explorer and double-click on it? If so, read http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104. "Mims" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:015701c3bd05$068bd7a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have been using Money 2003 for 2 weeks now and suddenly > when I try to open the program,it just starts and I get > the music and then it all ...

Print Customer Statement (or similar report) w/o closing billing c
Print Customer Statement (or similar report) w/o closing billing cycle Is there a way to print a customer statement or similar report before closing billing cycle? None of the reports available would show/print a statement. Anyideas or suggestions? Thanks ...

there is not enough disk space or memory to convert this document
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel my docx converter worked just fine last week. this morning i got the message &quot;there is not enough disk space or memory to convert this document&quot; when trying to open any docx file on any of our intel based macs. we have a power pc based mac that has the docx converter on it and it opens docx files without any problem. what has changed over the weekend that has caused the docx converted to stop working on our newer machines? I had the same problem start today! Me too! Without your version nu...

Retrieving comment using range name
I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the referenced ranges (singular cells)? Thanks in advance, Tomek Set testrng = Range("A3:A4", "C3:C4") comment1 = testrng(1).Comment.Text .... commentn = testrng(n).Comment.Text Stefi „topola” ezt írta: > I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range > names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the > referenced ranges (singular cells)? > Thanks in advance, > Tomek > > did yo...

opening a word 2003 document with word 2007
I created some documents on Word 2003 and have been unable to open them with Word 2007. I tried saving them as .docx and .rtf on Word 2003 with no luck. The posts that I have seen thus far have not helped. Does anyone have any suggestions? What happens when you try? Word 2007 should have no difficulty opening Word 2003 documents or RTF documents. Word 2003 can only save docx format if it has the compatibility pack installed. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word...

CM not listed under other documents in Edit Payables Cheque batch
In the Edit Payables Cheque batch window, we would like the Credit Memos to appear under all documents to be viewed, so that we can manually apply them to the required Documents, rather than the system doing this automatically. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message...

CRM 1.2 Lead Activity History
I head at a meeting the other day that there is a way to have the Lead Activities come across when you convert to an Account or Contact. Currently they do not display on the History tab. You can go back into Leads and open the lead and look at the Activities History Tab. But is there no other way to look at them in the Contact? Perhaps a long round about Activity search in Advanced Find? I assume this is being fixed in the new version. Thanks! Shauna When you convert a lead to a contact or an account there is a field called originatingleadid that maps the lead and links it so it i...

My document opens but all I see is a grey screen.
When I open my file it asks to enable the macros and I say yes. Then it shows opening file at the bottom. However when this is complete and says ready all I have is a grey screen like when you close your document but have Ecel open still. Hi, One thought (and only a thought). Try doing Windows, Arranged, Tiled. This could bring the workbook back. The reason could be that the person saving the sheet had (say) two screens, Excel across both of them and had the workbook on the right hand screen when they saved it. If you have only one screen then the workbook is open, but is posit...

Help lost document
I am hoping someone can help me. I read other incidents like mine and hope that not all is lost for me.....Basically, I received a work file via an attachement to my email. I brought it up using the program for the document. As I modified the file I hit the save button in this program many times. I exited this program and then exited outlook. I hit no to save the changes to the email thinking that this meant the text to this email since I had already closed down the program the attachement was in and saved it that way, of course now, none of my changes are in the file. I am hoping that so...

Attachment save time 1 hour ahead
Issue raised today from Outlook users is that saved attachments have a timestamp 1 hour ahead of PC time. (we are GMT and have 1 hour daylight daving currently) I have reproduced this and if you remove daylight saving, attachments have the correct time but the PC/Outlook are 1 hour slow. Odd that no-one has noticed this before - to do with recent Windows updates? (Win2K, Outlook 2000) If you change the Time Zone in Outlook and save the file again the time discrepancy gets worse. I set to GMT+2. The PC showed 19:15 but the save attachment had a time of 22:15. This may be a separate...

error message:outlook.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows
Hi, I just got this message when I am opening outlook ":error message:outlook.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows". I followed the article Q297010 but still getting this message when I open outlook. I also unistall Microsoft and then installed it back again but still I am getting this message. Any help is appreciated. Regards, August ...

Recent Documents list do not show
Having Windows 7 on new machine, installed MS Office 2007, but have a problem with program displaying recent documents. Set up shows 17 documents in Advanced settings. Have to open documents from Word/Excel directory, and it then shows in recent document list. Remains listed for the day. load up next day, and no documents listed. If anyone can advise what can be done to correct would be appreciated. Regards Phil B ...

Outlook Address Book closes while using mouse
Windows XP (SP3 all patched up) with Outlook 2003 Version 11.8217.8221 SP3 with Exchange Server. Hello all, A couple weeks ago the following started to happen in Outlook AND Publisher 2003. No other programs experience this. First of all Outlook. If you open outlook and then click tools then address book and then click the drop down box under "Show Names from the:" and choose an address book from there with the mouse, Outlook closes up with an error signature: Appname: outlook.exe Appver 11.0.8217.0 AppStamp: 480f95d9 ModName: user32.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.5512 ModStamp: 48...

Retrieving lost messages after Synchronization in Outlook Express
Setup for my hotmail messages to be downloaded to Outlook Express. When tried to connect to see an old message, didn't realize that it was setup to auto synch. My messages were deleted from hotmail, and are now lost on Outlook Express after synching. Is there anyway to retrieve the lost messages from Outlook Express? I really needed some of the items in there, and had downloaded them so they wouldn't be lost. Thanks! ...