Restarting Numbering when using Include Text Fields in a Pseudo-Master Document

We are using Word 2003.

I have a pseudo master document that I set up using Include Text fields.  I
am not using the master document feature at all.

Each of the "subdocuments" has numbering in it (scrupulously following
Shawna Kelley's guidelines).  Of course, when I look at each of these
documents, the numbering starts at A, B, C...

When I update the fields in the main document, the numbering is continuous
and does not restart for each subdocument.

Is there a way to indicate that the numbering should restart at the
beginning of each subdocument, either by doing something to the numbering in
the subdocument or by doing something before each include text field in the
master?

Thanks in advance,
Allison Orange
Systems Project Consultant
Florida Public Service Commission
aorange@psc.state.fl.us

0
Allison

In the "master" document, have you tried adding a LISTNUM field that
restarts the heading number before each INCLUDETEXT field? For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/listrestartbylistnum.htm.

I haven't tested that the method actually works in a "master" document with
INCLUDETEXT fields; if it doesn't, you may want to convert numbering to text
in each of the "subdocuments."

To convert numbering to text: Make sure that the document you want to
convert is the active document. Press Alt+F11 to start the Visual Basic
Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press Enter. Close the Visual Basic Editor. Note that since you applied
numbering via styles, it won't be completely gone until you have removed it
from the style definition. When you are done, save the document. Repeat for
other documents whose numbering you want to convert.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Allison Orange" <aorange@psc.state.fl.us(remove to reply)> wrote in message
> We are using Word 2003.
>
> I have a pseudo master document that I set up using Include Text fields.
> I am not using the master document feature at all.
>
> Each of the "subdocuments" has numbering in it (scrupulously following
> Shawna Kelley's guidelines).  Of course, when I look at each of these
> documents, the numbering starts at A, B, C...
>
> When I update the fields in the main document, the numbering is continuous
> and does not restart for each subdocument.
>
> Is there a way to indicate that the numbering should restart at the
> beginning of each subdocument, either by doing something to the numbering
> in the subdocument or by doing something before each include text field in
> the master?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Allison Orange
> Systems Project Consultant
> Florida Public Service Commission
> aorange@psc.state.fl.us

0
Stefan

Numbers
When transferring data from my AS400 to Excel, the negative numbers appear on the AS400 with the minus sign at the back of the number. Ex: 123- Is there a way to make excel recognize this as a negative number through the customize option--or any way at all? Thank you try for each c in selection c.value="-"&left(c,len(c)-1) next "Mry Alice London" <maryalice.london@carlsba.k12.nm.us> wrote in message news:027101c394df$9b632610$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When transferring data from my AS400 to Excel, the > negative numbers appear on the AS400 with the minu...

incredimail needs Outlook to restart..and restart...and restart....
I am using the Outlook 2002, and Incredimail add-on. But now when I open Outlook, I get a window saying "Before Incredimail for Office-Outlook add-on can be used, Outlook must be restarted. Would You like to restart Outlook now?" And when I say Yes to this, the same thing happens, everytime. If I say No, Outlook starts, but the icons concerning Incredimail, is not there anymore, so I cannot use/choose anything from Incredimail. However, the standard "butler" comes up and announces, when emails arrive. I have tried totally to remove Incredimail from my computer, vi...

text to numbers
Suppose i have numbers in a column with datatype as text. But when i change it to number it does not change until i press F2 in that cell. Any help Copy ANY blank cell. Select your *bad* cells. Hit Edit-Paste special, Add. ________________________ **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat www.VBAExpress.com/forum ************************ "student" <agarwalp@eeism.com> wrote in message news:usRlvPVcEHA.2504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Suppose i have numbers in a column with datatype as text. But when i change > it to number it does not change until i press F2 in that cell...

Set position into a worksheet using vba
I created a chart as an object in a worksheet, but can't set the position inside it. Any help? Thanks in advanced How did you create the chart object? This allows you to define the position exactly: Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects.Add(100,150,300,225) where the numbers are left, top, width, and height of the chart object in points with respect to the top left of the sheet. For an existing chart, again you should adjust the chart object, which is the parent object of the chart: With ActiveChart.Parent .Left = 100 .Top = 150 .Width = 300 .Hei...

Copy/Paste cells containing only numbers with .50 in it
I have been trying to come up with a formula that will read each cell in a column and copy & paste only the cells that contain numbers with .50. I can seem to properly configure the formula to read any whole number as long as it contains .50 in it. I want these vnumbers pasted into a seperate column. =IF(D21="*"+"0.50"),(D21),("") Thank you very much for your assistance. =3DIF(D21-INT(D21)=3D0.5,D21,"") If you truly want the numbers copied and pasted you would have to use = VBA. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Jun ...

continuous restarting
Hello group, Windows XP machine keeps restarting/rebooting itself. Occasionally it will perform disk check and then proceed to user login screen. At this point any attempt to login begets another restart. Usually the disk check runs ok but occassionally it will mention something close to: " The size of the \documents & settings\Dee\ntuser.dat.Log entry is not valid." Help. I don't know how to proceed. Thanks. -- "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions" - Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) in Pulp Fiction ...

How to use paswords for 2nd and 3rd page
hello,. On my church membership forms I created a tab control 1. 1st page is a general information of the members 2. 2nd and 3rd page is a confidential info of a member My question is, since the database will be used by many departments in my database, how can I make that every time they click the 2nd and 3rd tabs, they asked for the pasword. Or is there any way that htis 2 tabs can be visible to only chruch clerck and church elder. Thanks in advance -- H. Frank Situmorang On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:16:00 -0800, Frank Situmorang <hfsitumo2001@yahoo.com> wrote: >hello,. > >...

Number Comparison
I am trying to write a macro that compares two columns of numbers on a spreadsheet and colors the cells of all the numbers that match. After the macro is run I would like to be able to see all numbers that are different in each column. Can anyone figure out how or if EXCEL can perform this function? Why use a macro. I would just use conditional formating. This will do the highlighting for you. Conditional format-->=if(A1=B1,True,False) Do the same thing in both columns. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to write a macro that compares two columns of >numbers on...

Repeating text in a text box within Excel.
I write reports quite frequently and a lot of the sentences that I write are reprtitive. Therefore I am looking a way to optimize my time by automating these sentences. A minor complication to this entire scenario is that my text is in a text box. I could use some help on this. Please. Thank you You can use AutoCorrect to replace a typed code with a sentence. For example: Choose Tools>AutoCorrect Options In the Replace box, type a code, e.g. cs1 (the code will represent Comment Sentence 1) In the With box, type the first sentence Click the Add button, and enter codes and text for ...

Formatting numbers in thousands
Is it possible to format numbers in thousands? For example, I'd want to be able to format 5,123.00 as 5.1 I've been using a formula to divide by 1000, but is there a formatting string that will accomplish the same thing? Thanks, John -- If you forget about your dreams you die. Live for them, & they will live for you. IF you're wondering who the hell wrote this message, or want to know more :) see my profiles at JohnReimer@gay.com and JohnReimer@aol.com John You can use custom formatting. Example number in cell: 1234567 With #.0, you get 1234.6 (thousands) with #...

Problem setting Property Sheet values for a Form using VBA
Hello, I have a problem with setting Property Sheet values for a Form using VBA code. I am trying to set the following properties: ..RecordSource ..InputParameters ..UniqueTable I am setting this in an ADP and for a couple of my users my code works without any problem, and for other users it errors because it cannot set the properties in the form. My code which works: With Me.sfrmppepCGL_1_HeadsOfCover.Form .RecordSource = "dbo.procHeadsOfCoverByPolicyLineIDTypeGet" .InputParameters = "@lngPolicyLineID int =" & Nz(Me.txtPolicyLineID, 0) & &q...

field color in report
I have a report that I want to set a certain field to a certain color if it meets a criteria. For example if the payterms are net 30 I want the field to be displayed in green. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. kim p -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Thank you so much! Eric Blitzer wrote: >If you are using Ms Access 2000 or greater use conditional formatting >In forms design go to >Tools/Conditional formatting > >> I have a report that I want to set a certain field to a certain color if it >> meets a criteria. For example if the payterms are ne...

Numbered outline doesn't save

Restart server user right
Just wanted to make sure that if I need one of the users to be able to restart the server adding the user to Server Operators would give that user the minimum required. Thanks yaro Yes Yaro, that would acomplish the task. OTOH, I usualy set the policy on the server "Allow shutdown without having to log on". Since servers are usually in a locked room or in a rack, I can usually ask some helpful person in remote location to walk to the console and reboot the server. (For the security watchers in this newsgroup, I never had a security issue with this setting). Of cour...

why does excel convert the number to 0 after 15 numbers?
if I type 123456789012345679 it convert it to 123456789012345000. Anyone know how to stop excel from doing this? I image you are entering things like social security or credit card "numbers" on which no math will ever be done. Two tricks to avoid your problem 1) type a single quote (apostrophe) before entering the number - it will not show on spreadsheet or on hardcopy OR 2) Before entering the number, format the cells to be used as Text Reason: like most computer apps, Excel uses the IEEE convention for storing numbers and this limits numbers to 15 sig figs (still big enough ...

Setting up OWA External Access, No FQDN, using .local domain.
Hello everyone, I am trying to enable users to access OWA externally on our SBS 2003 server. Current set up is XXXXX.local as the domain name with XXXX.org registered but currently only forwarding to a hosted website. Running ISA 2004 on the server as well. OWA and RWW work fine internally but I am struggling to publish these services externally. Currently using a Draytek router with a static IP address. I know that changing the domain is not a practical option in SBS 2003 and have tried using OWA publishing rule & web listener but still unable ...

Office 2007 Update
I am running Windows 7 and after installing the latest updates for Office 2007 (Update KB977724and Security Update KB978380) and on restarting I keep getting the message "Your must restart your computer to continue the update process." I've restarted at least a half dozen times and keep getting the same message. I actually have Office 2003 installed but the 2007 updates don't bother my other two machines which are running XP. Joseph wrote: > I am running Windows 7 and after installing the latest updates for > Office 2007 (Update KB977724and Security Update ...

down loading text files
when down loading table like files somtimes some numbers in a colimn get pushed right or left?? How to prevent this pls advise Hi sounds like some of your numbers are stored as text. Maybe these cells include invisible characters. You may try the following macro: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "kumar" <kp_kumar_50@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:417171ec$0$2216$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > when down loading table like files somtimes some numbers in a colimn get > pushed right or left?? ...

OL2003 Crashes and Restarts
A recent problem... any attempt to click on an interface item to read a mail message for example will crash OL2003 which will restart without problem. A dialog pops up to notify Microsoft and it includes a 'restart' checkbox which I've left selected and OL2003 does restart but I'm getting worried about my data. This is more than annoying especially that I see I have to uninstall Office completely to uninstall OL2003 just to try to reinstall OL2003. Is this my only option or might this be an issue that has some other way to be resolved? I've also allowed Windows Upda...

Max number in a given range
In col E I have numbers from row 1 to row 22 How do I find out the MAX(the highest) number between row 1 and 10 or row 12 and 22 Thanks Forgive me, but have you looked in the help index for MAX -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1105F6F4-D0A5-4B05-B870-EB30202B5968@microsoft.com... > In col E I have numbers from row 1 to row 22 > How do I find out the MAX(the highest) number between row 1 and 10 or row > 12 > and 22 > Thanks > MAX(the highest) num...

Auto Number Turn Off
I have a mdb database that I open with access.. I can edit everything but the auto number part. I would like to be able to shut off that feature then I think I will be able to edit the Numbers. Could someone tell me how to shut off the auto numbering please? Then I need to able to resave it as a mdb file. Thanks so much.. Why would you want to edit the autonumber values? If you absolutely must, then you have to go into the table and change the field type from Autonumber to Number (Long Integer). Be aware, though, that once you do that, you'll no longer have an autonumber field in ...

week numbers
Hi I am trying to insert the week numbers i would like the week to start on a Saturday and end on the Friday i have tried this formula =TRUNC(((StartDate-DATE(YEAR(StartDate),1,1)+ MOD(DayOfWeek-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(StartDate),1,1)),7))+6)/7) where StartDate is the whose week number is to be found, and DayOfWeek is the day of week number (1 = Sunday, 2 = Monday, ..., 7 = Saturday). my formula :- =TRUNC(((B21-DATE(YEAR(B21),1,1)+MOD(7-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(B21),1,1)),7))+6)/7) on chip pearsons web site what i am finding when i get to Friday of the first week and the week number changes to 2, later ...

Importing Word document into existing Master
I've created a Master document in Publisher with special footers. When I import a Word file, Publisher creates a new file rather than inserting the Word file into the existing Master. Can you help? Create a text box, select the text box, right-click, click change text, text file, browse to the Word file. Publisher is a desktop publishing application. Long documents are best done in Word. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Bronson" <Bronson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68DCA5...

Converting numerical date to text
Does anyone know how to convert to text and keep the integrity of the numerical date? (example: 4/06/97 to 04061997) I can make it look okay, however; the cell is still reflecting the previous value. Not sure what you mean by "the cell is still reflecting the previous value". 1) Formatting doesn't affect the underlying value stored in the cell. Since XL stores dates as integer offsets from a base date, 4/06/97 is the displayed value for the number 35526 (windows default 1900 date system). You can change the formatting to Format/Cells/Number/Custom mmddyyyy but t...

complex number in excel 2003 sp3
I run Excel 2003 sp3,Italian language settings, in the Windows XP sp3 operating system. I have created an Excel sheet including equations with complex numbers. I have verified that if I use the comma as decimal separator and the point as thousands separator, Italian number setting, this sheet runs well. While if I use the point as decimal separator and the comma as thousand separator, USA number setting, the sheet doesn' t work. It is strange because all the other sheets without complex number equations work well in both the situation. The problem is that I need to change between th...