Restart heading numbering in each new section of a Word 2007 docum

I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each comprising
a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in
Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on through
the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
document?

First of all, although there may be other good reasons for using Word 2007,
you can have an "automated" TOC and index in any version of Word. And the
best way to restart numbering is with a higher-level style. You can have an
unnumbered style for Level 1  and start the numbering at Level 2. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ListRestartMethods.htm

I would advise using Heading 1 for your chapter title and Heading 2 for your
first-level subhead. OTOH, when you restart numbering in each chapter, it's
conventional to add the chapter number to the lower levels, so you might use
Heading 1 for the chapter number instead of the chapter title.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"ambanff" <ambanff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
> format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
> My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
> comprising
> a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in
> Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
> through
> the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
> How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
> document?

0
Suzanne
4/18/2010 5:30:01 PM
To add to what Suzanne has said, for details on setting up a multilevel list, you may find the article at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html useful.

Note, however, that the article wasn't written for Word 2007. In that version, you can use Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List to create your numbering. If you are trying to edit an existing list, place the insertion point in the first level 1 item (for heading numbering, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document) before clicking the command.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> First of all, although there may be other good reasons for using Word
> 2007, you can have an "automated" TOC and index in any version of Word.
> And the best way to restart numbering is with a higher-level style. You
> can have an unnumbered style for Level 1  and start the numbering at Level
> 2. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ListRestartMethods.htm
>
> I would advise using Heading 1 for your chapter title and Heading 2 for
> your first-level subhead. OTOH, when you restart numbering in each
> chapter, it's conventional to add the chapter number to the lower levels,
> so you might use Heading 1 for the chapter number instead of the chapter
> title.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "ambanff" <ambanff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
>> format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
>> My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
>> comprising
>> a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided
>> in
>> Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
>> through
>> the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
>> How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
>> document?

0
Stefan
4/18/2010 6:07:30 PM
Thank you for your help, Suzanne and Stefan.
Problem solved. I tried out your hints on a blank setup and it works
perfectly. Now to take the plunge with the thesis.

Alan Macgregor

BTW I switched to Word 2007 because TOC and particularly Index in Word 2003
had a very bad reputation with the University Library and IT staff, and on a
Word Long Documents course in late 2004 we were warned off using them, as
they could be a bit quirky. I learned that this had been ironed out in Word
2007, hence my shift to Word 2007

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> First of all, although there may be other good reasons for using Word 2007,
> you can have an "automated" TOC and index in any version of Word. And the
> best way to restart numbering is with a higher-level style. You can have an
> unnumbered style for Level 1  and start the numbering at Level 2. See
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ListRestartMethods.htm
>
> I would advise using Heading 1 for your chapter title and Heading 2 for your
> first-level subhead. OTOH, when you restart numbering in each chapter, it's
> conventional to add the chapter number to the lower levels, so you might use
> Heading 1 for the chapter number instead of the chapter title.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "ambanff" <ambanff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
> > format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
> > My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
> > comprising
> > a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in
> > Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
> > through
> > the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
> > How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
> > document?
> >

> .

You are welcome.

By the way, good luck with your thesis! :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Thank you for your help, Suzanne and Stefan.
> Problem solved. I tried out your hints on a blank setup and it works
> perfectly. Now to take the plunge with the thesis.
>
> Alan Macgregor
>
> BTW I switched to Word 2007 because TOC and particularly Index in Word
> 2003
> had a very bad reputation with the University Library and IT staff, and on
> Word Long Documents course in late 2004 we were warned off using them, as
> they could be a bit quirky. I learned that this had been ironed out in
> Word
> 2007, hence my shift to Word 2007
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> First of all, although there may be other good reasons for using Word
>> 2007,
>> you can have an "automated" TOC and index in any version of Word. And the
>> best way to restart numbering is with a higher-level style. You can have
>> an
>> unnumbered style for Level 1  and start the numbering at Level 2. See
>> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ListRestartMethods.htm
>>
>> I would advise using Heading 1 for your chapter title and Heading 2 for
>> your
>> first-level subhead. OTOH, when you restart numbering in each chapter,
>> it's
>> conventional to add the chapter number to the lower levels, so you might
>> use
>> Heading 1 for the chapter number instead of the chapter title.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "ambanff" <ambanff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
>> > format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
>> > My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
>> > comprising
>> > a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided
>> > in
>> > Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
>> > through
>> > the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
>> > How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
>> > document?
>> >

>> .

0
Stefan

incredimail needs Outlook to restart..and restart...and restart....
I am using the Outlook 2002, and Incredimail add-on. But now when I open Outlook, I get a window saying "Before Incredimail for Office-Outlook add-on can be used, Outlook must be restarted. Would You like to restart Outlook now?" And when I say Yes to this, the same thing happens, everytime. If I say No, Outlook starts, but the icons concerning Incredimail, is not there anymore, so I cannot use/choose anything from Incredimail. However, the standard "butler" comes up and announces, when emails arrive. I have tried totally to remove Incredimail from my computer, vi...

number setting for workbook e.g. i want , instead of . in number
I want my excel should display number in US format not i German format. How to change number display setting for whole excel file. Check out Start>Settings>Control Panel> Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options> Regional and Language Options>click 'Customize' button If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Rajesh" wrote: > I want my excel should display number in US format not i German format. > > How to change number display setting for whole excel file. ...

new view
Hi, It is a bit long issue. I hope you have patient to read all. Thanks in advance... I created a new filed. It is a multiple choice field. I also created a new view in the project center. When you drill down to a certain project - the view filters the new field by a certain criteria. The view also suppose to sort by ID (one of the view fields) The problem is: When I don=92t add the filter (which doesn=92t help me since the view purpose is the filter) I see the project tasks by the ID ascending. When I add the filter - the task mixed up as if the sort by ID don=92t exist (and...

Number position
I would like to count the Lottery position as a total per number . Such as Sheet2 would have the base data: Date 1 2 3 4 5 6 12/22/2006 40 3 38 22 25 48 12/23/2006 40 48 1 49 13 14 On Sheet1 the count would occur. Therefore, 6/49 would be the following. Number 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 1 2 1 : 40 2 : 48 ...

Restore archive pst after moving to new computer
I want to use the archive feature, but am afraid that after I buy a new computer and move outlook to the new machine that I wont be able to properly migrate the archive data to the new machine also. Any advise on how to do this? Thanks. -- moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam moondaddy <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: > I want to use the archive feature, but am afraid that after I buy a > new computer and move outlook to the new machine that I wont be able > to properly migrate the archive data to the new machine also. Any > advise on how to do this? http://www.howto-ou...

Excell: Add superscripted footnote beside a number i.e. 10,000 1
Is there a way to add a superscripted number beside a number or formula in cell that refers to a note at the bottom of the page? There is a way to format it, but I am not aware that you can make it work dinamically as in Word, for example. To format it, edit the formula, select the part you want to superscript in the formula bar, go to Format->Cells, and activate superscript in the effects section. Hope this helps, Miguel. "Craig Jr" wrote: > Is there a way to add a superscripted number beside a number or formula in > cell that refers to a note at the bottom of the ...

how to convert text with trailing minus sign to number
I have downloaded a text report (from SAP) that puts the "minus" sign behind the numerals for negative number. These negative numbers are converted to "text" under normal conversion. Is there a way to correctly convert these number? Thanks in advance. Hi! You might be able to use the Text To Columns feature for this. Select the range of numbers to convert. Goto Data>Text To Columns. Select Delimited Click Next For the delimiter, select Other and in the box enter - Click Finish Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have downloaded a text report (from SAP) that...

how to change sender heading to full name?
when I registered on Outlook Express I typed only my first name, instead of my full name, and now the shortened version is what appears as the header to receivers of my emails. I want it to include my full name. How do I change this? thanks ...

Auto fill PO number
Can you please tell me how to have the next available number on a PO auto fill when it is opened and auto save? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm http://www.gmayor.com/automatic_numbering_documents.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Shari Richardson" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:exs4YuQ%23KHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Can you please tell me how to have the next available number on a PO auto > fill when it is opened and auto save? > > -...

Toggle Headings for All Worksheets
I am using MS Excel 2007. I have a workbook with many worksheets. Sometimes I need to see the headings, sometimes not. Is it possible to turn on or off the headings for ALL the worksheets simultaneously. Thanks. Never mind. If I select all sheets by right-clicking on the tabs, then checking or unchecking headings in Show/Hide, the headings are toggled, so the problem is solved. Just curious. Is there another way. "Rebecca" wrote: > I am using MS Excel 2007. I have a workbook with many worksheets. Sometimes I > need to see the headings, sometimes not. Is it possible t...

Exporting Excel data into Word doc w/o cell boxes
I am unable to export Excel data into Word without the boxes appearing. My co-worker is able to cut and paste into Word without the boxes. We believe we are both running Word 2000. Is there a setting I need to change or is my co-worked working in different version than me? Do the boxes in Word represent a table (like the cells in excel)? Maybe your coworker is Edit|Paste special|Unformatted Text??? You can tell the versions of excel and word by clicking on Help in the menubar. Then About Microsoft Word (or Excel). (Is there any chance that you're coworker did Table|Hide Gridl...

how to copy the first row to a new page?
I use the following macro: Sheets("Inschrijvingen").Select Rows("1:1").Select Selection.Copy Range("a1").Select ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select inschrijfnummer = Range("a2").Value Do While Not IsEmpty(ActiveCell) If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 13).Value = "Nee" Or ActiveCell.Offset(0, 13).Value = "N" Then If Not SheetExists("Melden landelijke dd " & Date) Then Worksheets.Add.Move After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count) Set CurSheet = ActiveSheet ...

Not plotting blank cells with formulas until number appears
If a formula is in the cell but is blank or equals "0", how do you get a chart not to plot until a number appears? You can use an IF formula with NA(). For example: =IF(OR(B2="",B2=0),NA(),B2-A2) The chart will interpolate over the #N/A errors. To hide these errors, you can use conditional formatting. http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Errors Excel Charts and Formulas wrote: > If a formula is in the cell but is blank or equals "0", how do you get a > chart not to plot until a number appears? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, ...

continuous restarting
Hello group, Windows XP machine keeps restarting/rebooting itself. Occasionally it will perform disk check and then proceed to user login screen. At this point any attempt to login begets another restart. Usually the disk check runs ok but occassionally it will mention something close to: " The size of the \documents & settings\Dee\ntuser.dat.Log entry is not valid." Help. I don't know how to proceed. Thanks. -- "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions" - Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) in Pulp Fiction ...

Compress pictures using word 2000
How can i compress all my pictures in Word 2000. I have tried looking in Format Picture but there is no compress button there to press. Now i am at a loss, can anyone help please -- Thank you for reading my post. Hopefully you can answer my querie I believe this feature may have been introduced in a later version. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Shazza" <shazzalowe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:ED44EFAB-99BB-48DF-B075-007D3F13473E@microsoft.com... > How can i compress al...

protect column headings while sorting
I don't know how it happened, but after I modified an existing database, every time I try to sort by rows, the column labels get sorted too. Then I can't do a mail merge in Word, among other problems. I tried blocking the whole label row and "freeze panes" but it didn't do anything. I think I am in Excel 2000. Did you do Data|sort? If yes, there's an option that you can check that says "My List has" "header row" or "no header row". If you're using the icons on the toolbar, I'd stop. (sometimes they don't sort the whole ra...

Reports Receipts on New 1.3 install Disk
Are all the Reports and Receipts on the 1.3 version the newer ones that are in customer source or are the all the orignal ones that were on the 1.2 disk. I just want to make sure the are the latest so that all I have to do is move over my custom stuff. Fabino, A couple of them have been changed, but I don't remember which ones and I haven't found a KB as to which ones they are. Look in CustomerSource http://tinyurl.com/c987v and find the fixed reports/receipts/PO's etc and they are on the disk. If you have customized they are using the same name, back them up first, beca...

Extracting values from a column to a new column
I have my text (or number) values organized in a singel column looking like this A 1 Lemon 2 Apple 3 "" 4 Orange 5 "" 6 Pear What formula (not VBA) should I use to have it arranged like this in a new column? Note - the cells with a value should retain it's relative position in the column B 1 Lemon 2 Apple 3 Orange 4 Pear 5 "" 6 "" Furthermore, is it possible, if needed, to sort the values in ascending or descending order in the new column? Tia Rolfie Rolfie Sure Go to Tools>Options>Custom Lists ...

Number Comparison
I am trying to write a macro that compares two columns of numbers on a spreadsheet and colors the cells of all the numbers that match. After the macro is run I would like to be able to see all numbers that are different in each column. Can anyone figure out how or if EXCEL can perform this function? Why use a macro. I would just use conditional formating. This will do the highlighting for you. Conditional format-->=if(A1=B1,True,False) Do the same thing in both columns. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to write a macro that compares two columns of >numbers on...

Formatting numbers in thousands
Is it possible to format numbers in thousands? For example, I'd want to be able to format 5,123.00 as 5.1 I've been using a formula to divide by 1000, but is there a formatting string that will accomplish the same thing? Thanks, John -- If you forget about your dreams you die. Live for them, & they will live for you. IF you're wondering who the hell wrote this message, or want to know more :) see my profiles at JohnReimer@gay.com and JohnReimer@aol.com John You can use custom formatting. Example number in cell: 1234567 With #.0, you get 1234.6 (thousands) with #...

Numbered outline doesn't save

Restart server user right
Just wanted to make sure that if I need one of the users to be able to restart the server adding the user to Server Operators would give that user the minimum required. Thanks yaro Yes Yaro, that would acomplish the task. OTOH, I usualy set the policy on the server "Allow shutdown without having to log on". Since servers are usually in a locked room or in a rack, I can usually ask some helpful person in remote location to walk to the console and reboot the server. (For the security watchers in this newsgroup, I never had a security issue with this setting). Of cour...

Event 2116 Windows 2000 DCs and Exchange 2007
Hi, We have a single domain with a Windows 2003 SP1 running as DC with all FSMOs and Global Catalog. However, there are some Windows 2000 DCs, and the Exchange 2007 Beta 2 box is logging the following: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeADAccess Event Category: (3) Event ID: 2116 Date: 12/11/2006 Time: 5:39:43 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE2007 Description: Process IISIPMD5274F6F-E3FC-4A10-A855-21244E592820 -AP "EXCHANGEAPPLICATIONPOOL (PID=2708). The Domain Controller w2kdc.mydom.local is running Windows 5.0 (2195) (Unknown Service Pack). Exchange Active Directory Pr...

Go to new record on a new day
I know that when you open or load a form you can put the following: DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec to create a new record so that the bound form does not retrieve the 1st record in the table . But here is my dilemma. I have a bound form where data is updated by several users at different times in the day. I do not want the form to open on a blank record but rather bring up the day's record. However, on the next day, I want a blank record to start off the day. I have a text box (txtDate) that has a default value of "=Date(). How can I write a statement that tells the form 'O...

dots appearing between all words in Word 2003
All of a sudden, dots are appearing between all words in Word 2003. What have I done ??? -- Yvonne J You have turned on Word's hidden formatting characters. Press the � button or CTRL+SHIFT+8 to toggle the display. If that doesn't work, it is possible that Word has corrupted its data key where the formatting setting preferences are stored. Check Tools > Options > View > Formatting marks and ensure that all the boxes are unchecked. If the setting changes back then delete the Word data key in the registry and allow Word to build a new one. Even this may not t...