Rename Word to WheresWaldo

I have wasted 4 hours trying to find the tools menu and forms toolbar.
I can't tell you how many places I chased help in forum posts that led to
instructions that I could not follow because I could not see the same
commands, buttons, or icons on my screen. due to some obscure setup
difference.

Word should be renamed to WheresWaldoWord.

Hi Digitalic,

Maybe you should just try to learn the basics before leaping into the more advanced features. Using Word's 'Help' facility might be
useful too ...

--
Cheers
macropod

"Digitalic" <happy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9CA159D3-4F3F-4466-8B69-BD5C9D6FDA08@microsoft.com...
>I have wasted 4 hours trying to find the tools menu and forms toolbar.
> I can't tell you how many places I chased help in forum posts that led to
> instructions that I could not follow because I could not see the same
> commands, buttons, or icons on my screen. due to some obscure setup
> difference.
>
> Word should be renamed to WheresWaldoWord.

0
macropod
1/28/2010 11:19:23 PM
Well, you probably have Word 2007. If so, you should specify this in asking
questions, and you'll get answers that tell you where things are in that
version, which has a very different UI from previous versions.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Digitalic" <happy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have wasted 4 hours trying to find the tools menu and forms toolbar.
> I can't tell you how many places I chased help in forum posts that led to
> instructions that I could not follow because I could not see the same
> commands, buttons, or icons on my screen. due to some obscure setup
> difference.
>
> Word should be renamed to WheresWaldoWord.

0
Suzanne
1/29/2010 12:48:42 AM
macropod, oh my, there is a help command?  It never occurred to me to learn
the basics.  Thank you for beign so thoughtful...Word 2007 is junk.  I can
see no reason for all the changes other than programming job retention.  It
is less intuative, harder to use, less productive, and will cost companies
huge amounts of cash in lost work relearning the BASICS!

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Digitalic,
>
> Maybe you should just try to learn the basics before leaping into the more advanced features. Using Word's 'Help' facility might be
> useful too ...
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Digitalic" <happy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9CA159D3-4F3F-4466-8B69-BD5C9D6FDA08@microsoft.com...
> >I have wasted 4 hours trying to find the tools menu and forms toolbar.
> > I can't tell you how many places I chased help in forum posts that led to
> > instructions that I could not follow because I could not see the same
> > commands, buttons, or icons on my screen. due to some obscure setup
> > difference.
> >
> > Word should be renamed to WheresWaldoWord.
> >

> .

The changes that were brought with Word 2007 have hardly been a secret and
have been much discussed here and elsewhere over the past couple of years or
so. If you choose to change to this version, it will take some time to get
up to speed. Like anything else you may approach that is completely new, it
will take some time to learn, but no-one here twisted your arm to change.
Many people are still quite happy using Word 97.

However to address your original question, there are no 'toolbars' in Word
2007. It is ribbon and keyboard shortcut driven. Most of the keyboard
shortcuts from earlier versions have been retained.

There is thus no Tools menu nor a Forms toolbar. The forms commands are
displayed on the Developer tab of the ribbon, which by default is not
displayed. You can display it from Office Button (that's the thing that
looks like a pizza at the top left of your Word screen) Word Options >
Popular > Show Developer Tab in the ribbon. If you have much work to do with
forms - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm. The
commands that were on the Tools menu of Word 2003 are distributed by context
on the ribbon tabs. The Options are located as already described.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> macropod, oh my, there is a help command?  It never occurred to me to
> learn
> the basics.  Thank you for beign so thoughtful...Word 2007 is junk.  I can
> see no reason for all the changes other than programming job retention.
> It
> is less intuative, harder to use, less productive, and will cost companies
> huge amounts of cash in lost work relearning the BASICS!
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Digitalic,
>>
>> Maybe you should just try to learn the basics before leaping into the
>> more advanced features. Using Word's 'Help' facility might be
>> useful too ...
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Digitalic" <happy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have wasted 4 hours trying to find the tools menu and forms toolbar.
>> > I can't tell you how many places I chased help in forum posts that led
>> > instructions that I could not follow because I could not see the same
>> > commands, buttons, or icons on my screen. due to some obscure setup
>> > difference.
>> >
>> > Word should be renamed to WheresWaldoWord.
>> >

>> .

0
Graham

Mail Merge to Microsoft Word
I have a user who is trying to use mail merge to merge financial data in Excel into a Microsoft Word document. The data is formatted for currency in Excel but when she merges it into Word, it comes out as plain numbers with many decimal places after it. How do I get this data to hold it's currency formatting when merging into Word? Thank you very much! I gather you're using XP. This is a new "feature" in mail merge in XP. To resolve it, in the mergefield in Word, add a numeric field switch. You'll need to toggle the field code for the field to change this. Depen...

How do I select records were a field contains a key word??
I have a field named [Comments], a text field. I want to create a query that selects records that contain the word "Not" somewhere (anywhere) in the field. Is this possible? OldEd OldManEd wrote: > I have a field named [Comments], a text field. I want to create a > query that selects records that contain the word "Not" somewhere > (anywhere) in the field. Is this possible? > > OldEd .... WHERE Comments Like "* not *" -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Thanks, that worked....

Microsoft Word Starts Only in Safe Mode after Adobe Acrobat Instal
Microsoft Word will only start in Safe Mode ever since Adobe Acrobat was installed. It seems related to Adobe's automatic installation of toolbar objects in both Outlook and Word. Word reports that there were problems starting Word and tries to recover documents. It then wants to send an error message to Microsoft and then refuses to open unless the Safe mode is chosen. Anybody have this problem before? Any ideas on what the resolution is? I have suggestions on how to remove the annoying Adobe toolbar objects, but no suggestions on how to get Word to open in regular...

Word 2007
My company has just switched over to Office 2007. One issue that came to light this morning is that if a document has Page Break Before codes to force new pages, the document appears fine if you've got Show/Hide turned on. If Show/Hide is turned off, then the Page Break Before codes seem to disappear and the pages appear overlapped. Specifically, my document has pages 2, 3 and 4 set with Page Break Before codes and all four pages show (overlapped) on page 1 when I turn off Show/Hide. Is there a setting that needs to be turned on to make the document appear correct reg...

MS Word Drop-Down list linked to outside source?
I was wondering if it is possible to link a word drop down list to an outside source such as an Excel list or and Access table. My Scenario: I have created 70+ locked templates that use some similiar drop down lists. These lists include Judges, Lawyers, and Arbitrators names that can change monthly. So i was looking for a better solution than me editing every drop down list on each template. I would like to be able to link a drop down list to say an MS Access table and so i can just edit the table and each drop down would just pull the info from that. Is this possible...

Office 2003 Pro
I cant get Word to be my email editor. I think its a result of installing and having problems with McAfee on my system. I have uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled it 2 times and I still get the same problem.I have searched support and havent found anything. This is a pretty new machine running Windows XP Pro. I get this error. Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead. An OLE registration error occurred. The program is not correctly installed. Run Setu...

how do I copy several lines of word text into one excel cell?
In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each line pastes into a different cell) You can either double click the cell or press F2 key to get into edit mode for the cell, then the text pasted would all go into the cell. -Simon "jhh" wrote: > In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one > excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each > line pastes into a different cell) thank you SO much Simon CC - ...

Word #5
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel How do I get rid of the paragraph and other formatting marks on the document? They appeared out of nowhere and won't go away. Click the � button on the Standard Toolbar to toggle the non-printing characters on/off. Alternatively, use the keystroke Cmd+8. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 5/27/08 3:33 PM, in article ee9cbc0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Souffle@officeformac.com" <Souffle@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Proce...

Any Software-English to hindi translator for Ms Word 2003?
PLEASE FAST I NEED IT VERY MUCH ...

Why can't I search for Excel files knowing a word somewhere inside it?
Knowing that I had a spreadsheet with a sort macro in it somewhere that I created about a year ago, I used the search feature of File Explorer in WinXPPro to search for all files named *.xls, containing the word "sort" in a folder with subfolders I knew it should exist in, in a range of dates. The search did not find it, but after looking through my old emails I found the name of the file, found it in one of my folders, and it was named *.xls, it did contain the word "sort" as both a worksheet name and in the macro, and it was in one of the folders I searched in, and...

Question about Word/Works
Is the Word in Microsoft Works Windows 7 the same as Word 2002, though slightly updated? Why does the interface look so different? It almost resembles more of a cartoon of Word 2002. There's a flatness to its appearance, and I don't like the flap off to the right. I want everything in a streamlined window as in Word 2002. Wrong Group! This group is about Word for the Macintosh... However, I suspect what you are seeing is "Word 2007". Microsoft Works usually contains the current version of Word, in this case, 2007. In which case: Welcome to the new worl...

Windows disappear/vanish/become invisible when working in Word or Excel (MSO2004)
When working in Word the active window frequently becomes invisible. I can still type and use keyboard commands. If I do any of the following the window reappears: - cmd+tab off Word, then back on - save the document - select Window > document name from the menu bar When working in Excel I have the same problem with the same solutions. In both cases, this happens so frequently that both products are essentially unusable. Any ideas? Thanks In article <1102468833.715340.156600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "doyouflip@yahoo.com" <kperlas@gmail.com> wrote: > Whe...

Word error messages
List members: I work on an Intel Mac running OS 10.3.6 Regrettably I recently let a third-party software tech support person talk me into removing and then reinstalling MS Office 2008. I now regularly get two error messages with manual document saves and with Autorecover saves: 1) "Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one of the following: Free more memory. Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write- protected, or damaged." 2) "Word is unable to save the Autorecover file in th...

Dates in WORD 2007
Hi I am running Windows XP and have just installed WORD 2007. Can someone please tell me how I stop the parser auto-completing dates for me? I like to write 29th May, 2010 - but as soon as I type that and hit <ENTER> I get 2010-05-29 on the end. It's driving me nuts!! MT :( I have looked in:- Office Button (top left hand corner) Word Options (lower right hand corner) Proofing (on the left hand side) then, on the right hand side, click on AutoCorrect Options . . . - but could see nothing in there that could be turned off. However a quick and eas...

MM from Word in HTML Format
I am using MS Office 2002. When I do a mail-merge from MS Word to email, it works fine as long as I use 'Plain Text' as the format. It accesses Outlook and sends the messages. However, if I use HTML format, it acts as though it is sending something, but the messages never get sent. Does anyone know what my problem might be? Brian, I seem to have the same problem in Offic 2003. When I do an email merge from Word, the screen flickers at the end but there is no record of the emails having been sent in Outlook, i.e., they are not in the Sent folder. I've tried looking around...

Renaming an Exchange 2003 Server
I have a Windows Server 2003 machine in a Windows Server 2003 Domain/Forest functional level with Exchange 2003 Server Standard installed. I'd like to rename the name (not the domain) of this server. I'm aware of the "netdom computername" method of renaming a domain controller, but have been unsuccesful in tracking down any documentation or instances of people doing this with an Exchange 2003 server. I could possibly build a test server with Exchange 2003 and try that (though it would certainly expend quite a bit of valuable time) as a last resort. Has anyone attempted th...

word wrapping
I know that you can put a text box over a picture but is it possible to place the photo under the text after typing the text in? Thanks Helen In Publisher 2000 (maybe other versions) Use the highlite the box you want to bring in front or to place it in the background. Now click on the icon on the tool tray that looks like three squares with the center square lighter than the two adjacent squares. If you put the text on top and you no longer see the picture, make the text box transparent (Cntrl T). -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in ...

Importing Excel and Word using automation
The last time I tried this I got very frustrated. I think I'll probably need to buy a book or something. Can someone recommend such a resource, or any other suitable resource for that matter? Before you go out and buy a book, try reading the Automation documentation that Microsoft provides with their Office applications. The documentation file names vary, depending on the version of Office, but for instance, my Office 2003 documentation is in files named the following (obviously, the root path varies depending on where you installed): E:\Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM E:\Office\OFF...

MS Office Word 2007 will not start
After installing MS Office 2007 on Dell Vostro Windows 7 32-bit laptop Word will not start. When you attempt to open the program you receive a message stating Word has stopped working and tries to gather more information about the error. No additional information is found and the only option is to close the program. When trying to reopen Word you receive a message stating Word failed to open correctly last time and asks if you want to open is Safe Mode. when trying to open in Safe Mode you receive the Word has stopped working message and your only option is to closed the progra...

How to export a Publisher-Document into word 2000?
I need to convert a publisher document into a word document for distribution to be reviewed by people not having publisher installed. The document contains tables, pictures and colors. I'd appreciate your help. Wolfgang -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Wolfgang <info@NO-SPA.com>... > I need to convert a publisher document into a word document f...

who do lists in word not keep indents consistent?
In a numbered list, I keep encountering random changes in indent settings part of the way through a document. For example, if I have a) as the fifth level set with indents at 2.0 and 2.25 at the outset, for no apparent reason, in the middle of the document, word will suddenly start indenting level a) at 2.5 and 2.75. I've spend hours fiddling with this, to no avail. It really destroys the format of an outlined list when the same level is indented at random points throughout the document. To set up the numbering in your documents properly, see the following page of fellow M...

computer changes word doc to note pad
my computer is changing all my 2003 word docs to note pad on its own. mona wrote: >my computer is changing all my 2003 word docs to note pad on its own. Use Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab and scroll down the list to the extension DOC. Doublecheck that it is associated with Word. -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] ...

Open New Visio Drawing using VBA in Word?
Hi, We're creating new Word 2007 templates, and some of them require flowchart functionality from Visio. Our goal is to create a macro within the Word template to call Visio, open a new drawing and have a custom stencil set open for users to use. Users would then open create their flowchart/diagram in Visio, and it would update automatically into the Word template when Visio is closed. I'm using the following code to start Visio, however I'm stuck on where to go from there: Sub Visio() Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\VISIO.exe", vbN...

works file to excel/word
can we get a workaround to enable us to open a document written in MS works [.wps] extension ? our machine runs MS office under W98 Thanks in advance ...

I want to use the avery template 8164 in publisher, not word
I have the template Avery 8164 in Word, but not in publisher and that is where I would mostly use it. Not sure how to accomplish this? See if the 5164 is the same size. -- Don Vancouver, USA "nanc" <nanc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CF35D5B-BFCB-4DF1-B41E-9C26C14A21A1@microsoft.com... >I have the template Avery 8164 in Word, but not in publisher and that is > where I would mostly use it. Not sure how to accomplish this? Should be, 5000 and 8000 series are laser and ink jet printer series, respectively. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [...