regarding master doc/ sub documents

I'm new to using master document/ sub documents function in MS word.
I have a question regarding that. I've created a master document with
several subdocuments. Several times, when I open the master doc, some of the
subdocuments are not there. Yes, I think I've made some changes to those sub
documents but never changed either the names nor the locations of those
subdocuments. It feels like I'm using a feature that is not stable enough
which makes me quite nervous about using this. Does any of you know what's
going on or any suggestion regarding how to use this feature more
effectively? Any known bugs or etc.? Thanks a lot!

This feature has been "broken" across all versions of Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

Hope this helps
DeanH

In news:21701CAA-E55E-4FD6-88F6-998266F14CD8@microsoft.com,
heis <heis@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I'm new to using master document/ sub documents function in
> MS word.
> I have a question regarding that. I've created a master
> document with several subdocuments. Several times, when I
> open the master doc, some of the subdocuments are not
> there. Yes, I think I've made some changes to those sub
> documents but never changed either the names nor the
> locations of those subdocuments. It feels like I'm using a
> feature that is not stable enough which makes me quite
> nervous about using this. Does any of you know what's going
> on or any suggestion regarding how to use this feature more
> effectively? Any known bugs or etc.? Thanks a lot!

OpenOffice.org, a good replacement for Word and also free, has
a Master Document mode that is both stable and should provide
all the features you need.  The current version is 3.2.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne

how to view the document recovery task pane
i an trying to recover a lost file that i didn't save, and there is a feature called the document recover task pane, however i can't seem to activate it for some reason. please assist Hi, It pops up if Excel crashes and offers you a option to recover you doc. Think you've lost your file for good if you didn't save it You can turn on recovery via Tools > options >Save Tab > Save recovery VBA Noo -- VBA Noo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&us...

GoldMine Link Docs
We are migrating from GoldMine. How does the conversion of the linked documents work. Can these be imported as attachments under Notes and Attachments? Any suggestions will be very helpful. Microsoft Business Solutions CRM Data Migration Framework Guide specifies that "File attachments associated with notes cannot be migrated." However, with reasonable amount of coding, you can do it through VB.Net. >-----Original Message----- >We are migrating from GoldMine. How does the conversion >of the linked documents work. Can these be imported as >attachments unde...

Accessing Custom Properties of a master without creating an instance
Hi, Is it possible to access the custome properties of a Master shape without creating an instance of it in the drawing? i.e. is there an equivalent to Shape.Get_CellsU(cellName) for Masters? thanks Neil You just need to set Shape = Master.Shapes(1) <neilbirtles@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1171276151.569309.112460@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible to access the custome properties of a Master shape > without creating an instance of it in the drawing? i.e. is there an > equivalent to Shape.Get_CellsU(cellName) for Masters? > > than...

excel documents won't open from my documents folder
I want to open excel documents from the my documents folder (microsoft xp) but only pull up the excel template screen. If I open excel documents from excel launch screen all is fine. Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. Paul1961 wrote: > > I want to open excel documents from the my documents folder (microsof...

Need to be able to attach docs to knowledge base
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9ed90582-1757-4434-a227-02ff20006b7f&dg=microsoft.public.crm ...

How do I retrieve changes to an unsaved excel document
I closed a excel document without saving changes. Is there a way to retrieve my old worksheet which would have the changes I made. I'm using excel 2000 which is part of my Microsoft Office 2000 program. No it's not possible -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (remove ^^ from email address) Portland, Oregon "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FABAC1F-A402-4C87-BCDA-1124E072D9D3@microsoft.com... >I closed a excel document without saving changes. Is there a way to >retrieve > my ...

Regarding Dynamic chart
Dear All I have problem in formula ans it was solved Mr. Max , now i am facing problem in Chart please do the needful . I am mention the my problem and the formula given by Mr.Max . In cell b1 my input value varies from 1-30 in e1 my input will be amount it varies assume 300000. i want formula in a5 to show 0 and a6 as 1 so on till i get the input in b1 .. and in c5 i need a formula =$e$1*((2*(a5/$b$1)^2-(a5/$b$1)^4) till same as in column based on the value in b1. wish you all a very happy new year -2010 in advance A B C D E ...

"Send and Receive" in regards to an Exchange account
We have an Outlook 2003 user setup with Exchange 2003, he also uses the client to access about a dozen POP accounts. When he clicks "send and receive" it seems to get stuck on the exchange account. It says "processing" and takes for ever. But "send and receive" isn't required to get Exchange mail, since it's always connected. Yet his Exchange mail comes in normally, with no delays. It's only when he uses "send and receive" that it seems to sit there forever. Has anyone seen this before? Or is there a way to not include the Exchange account wh...

Word document. squiggles instead of text. Why?
I have a 5280 word document. When I try to open it for editing, all I can see is green squiggly lines where my text should appear. How can I recover my words? It would appear that the font has been formatted as white. For a start, try Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Spacebar. Or, if that's too drastic, Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+D and select "Automatic" as the font color. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Jocar2@Charter.net" <Jocar2@Charter.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BC50...

regarding focus
Gurus, I have MDI MFC application . I click a menu item and a modeless dialog CPalette is created. void CMainFrame::OnToolsOpenpalette() I have added a variable to CMainFrame i.e. CPalette *mypal; Now real problem is When this dialog is displayed it gets all the focus and my main frame, view loses focus and there is some color change in the title bar of these windows. If focus gets to frame or view then dialogs loses focus and some color change occurs to dialog title. which is very irritating. I dont want this. I want the CPalette dialog to look like a component of MainFrame. There should...

Explanation regarding code
Hello ! I am debugging a program wriiten by someone else in VC++. I have a doubt at a class definition. The code is something like given below: ********************************************************** class CT_pio : public CWinThread { DECLARE_DYNCREATE(CT_pio) protected: CT_pio(); public: // Override //{{AFX_VIRTUAL(CT_pio) public: virtual BOOL InitInstance(); virtual int ExitInstance(); //}}AFX_VIRTUAL // Implementation protected: virtual ~CT_pio(); DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP() private: class PC_main *c_main_p; class CT_motor *c_motor_p; class CT_pio *c_pio_p; } I ha...

Document Library/Download/Login Popup
I have my SP server set up for internal access and external access using active directory integration and also local user accounts on the SP server itself. When accessing internally, IE uses the cached credentials when access SP and the user does not have to enter user/pass. If i open a document internally, it opens fine. If i access the server from external, i always have to enter a user/password to access the SP at all. When i click to open a document, it asks me again for the user/password before the document will open. I do not want to choose the option of checking the box ...

Sub Report Repeating Details
With On My Report I Have a Sub-Report, The Main Report Shows The The Project Number, Project Title and Enquiry Type: IE SUPPLY DUCTWORK ONLY The Sub-Report Shows The Drawings That Are Needed To Be Sent For that Enquiry. The Sub Report Is A Contineuous Type, What The Problem Is That Some Times I May Decide to go out 3 Ductwork Companys Etc, When I Print The Report, it Repeats The Drawings Depending How Many Companys Ive Gone To for that Enquiry, Ive Tried Going Into The SubReport Properties and Selecting The Fields Hide Duplicates No Difference. Is there a simple way of Stopping it, or ...

Using the "Regarding" action in Outlook integration FAILS with
When i use the "regarding" action in Outlook integration and attempt to query a Campaign, I get an error message pop up "Error has occurred" and I get a grid refresh failed. Does this have to do with a customization that is causing the query to throw and exception? And how to I validate that? Ray Casey Hi Ray, activities cannoot be set regarding a campaign. There's a bug in CRM 4.0 that shows Campaigns in the Set Regarding list of entities -- but you'll get an error message if you attempt to use it. Campaign planning tasks and campaign activities and ...

Question Regarding Milestones Going Back to 0%
Hello, Does anybody know why this is happening or if there is a fix I can use? I’ve got a master project with several sub-projects in it. When I accept status updates from resources via PWA, all milestones that were 100% change to 0%. Does anybody know why this is happening or if there is a fix I can use? Thank you in advance! Tim ...

Regarding ISR
HI, I have to implement a scenario such that, one of my driver calls a routine of another driver in its ISR. The routine of the second driver returns only after getting an interrupt in the second driver's IST. Could anybody tell me, whether this will work or not. Both the drivers share the same IRQ. TIA Gomas How do you link the 'other driver routine' to your ISR? The DLL containing the ISR : Cannot have dependent DLLs Cannot link implicitly to any other DLL, and all code must be contained in the DLL Must be compiled to eliminate the C Run-Time Library from...

Auto_Open Documentation
I'm hard pressed to find any documentation about the use of Auto_Open and precious little about the use of Personal.xls. Does anyone have any suggestions. Josh Hi Josh! You might try Google Searching. For this I'd recommend the Google Search 6.0 tool of Ron de Bruin: http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm Dave McRitchie covers event handling macros: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "...

master and member don't communicate
I've recently built a second e2k server for my domain. I have a few test accounts on the new server. They can all message eachother with no trouble however they cannot communicate with the mailboxes on the origional server. The reverse is also true. Users on the origional server cannot communicate with the new server. Ideas? -Lex Hi, If you have configured an entry in the Smart Host box then you need to remove it and replace it with an SMTP Connector. Exchange uses SMTP to communicate between the servers. Using a Smart Host on the "Default SMTP Virtual Server" will ...

Locking part of Word Document?
Is there a way to Lock part of a document similar to excel? To what end? Locking parts of documents will impinge on the use of the rest of the document and is best avoided. What *exactly* are you trying to achieve. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "Rayden42&...

How do I retrieve an unsaved document?
I'm using Publisher 2002 and went out last night without saving my work (autosave is on for every 10 minutes). Someone else has come in and shut down the file without saving and so I'm left without my rather important work. Is there anyway I can get back? Look where you default save Publisher documents, see if there are any temp files, rename the .tmp to .pub. Look in your temp folder. Open Windows Explorer, in the address bar input %temp% -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "emzilee" <emzilee@disc...

Master and subordinate sites?
How do I designate an inventory site as a subordinate site for PO generator purposes? I have not done it in a few years and I cannot seem to find the Window.. It is actually the other way around. Go to the Item Resource Planning window and enter the item number and set the Order Policy field to Use PO Gen. If this is the master site, click on the PO Gen Item and set the fields to specify how the order quantities are to be calculated. Leave the Order Method to Order to Independent Site. For the subordinate sites, make the same settings except on the PO Gen Item Maintenance window, s...

Wrong paper format from FILE->NEW->PUBLISHER DOCUMENT
Friend of mine has a problem with Publisher 2003 (part of the Office XP package) The package was fully installed with A4 British English being selected as the language of choice, on a Windows XP Home SP2 system in which British/UK settings are set up across the board. All of the Office programs are set up to use A4 paper format. If you load Publisher and create a new document it will have A4 paper format If you click NEW OFFICE DOCUMENT from the start menu, choose Publisher, it will create a new document with A4 paper format If you Dbl-click My Computer, go to FILE->NEW->PUBLISHER...

Doc/view benefit or not ?
Hi, I'm going to create an application which audit networks and PCs. After reading several books about MFC and Document/View structure, i'm still not convince that this structure will help me....i'm thinking to develop a simple SDI application without this Doc/View structure. Could someone tell me in which topics such structure could make my life easier ? thanks a lot, Maileen You could just make a Dialog App. It has no View, or Document. When creating project, choose "Dialog based" HTH, "Maileen" <noemail@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uIkYp2Q...

Sub Level project copy
We want to copy sub level entries from on project to another. So we chose "project cost-item copy" but it just won,t work We used the project copy instead anyone knows How???? Or in this case what is the easy way to copy SPjt departement Data from one project to another? Fabien ...

Regarding Archiving
There seems to be a strange occurance that is taking place in Outlook 2003. I do not want Outlook 2003 to archive anything at all, but rather I wish to do the archiving manually keeping everything back a full 24 months. After that I have no problem with the material being archived. Sometimes however, I will go back looking for an email that I know was sent a few months previous and cannot find it. It seems to appear for a time, but then for some unexplained reason to me seems to vanish! I want to make sure that I have the settings right, here is what I did. 1. Tools > Options>Othe...