Opening docs from old versions

In attempting to open a doc created in an ancient version of Word (for
Windows, not DOS), I get this message:
"You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of
Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening by your registry
policy setting."

What is the registry setting I must change to override this and allow the
opening?

Thanks.

-TedMi

0
TedMi

Hi Ted,

I'm pretty sure this is the KB article you need:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810

There are both downloadable reg files and instructions for manual editing.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

TedMi wrote:
> In attempting to open a doc created in an ancient version of Word (for
> Windows, not DOS), I get this message:
> "You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier
> version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening
> by your registry policy setting."
>

> What is the registry setting I must change to override this and allow
> the opening?
>

> Thanks.
>
> -TedMi

0
Jay

Autosave & send word doc by email
I am using MS Word 2007. I create a form using developer control. I want to add in a 'button' for my participants to click so that the document will be automatically save and attached as a doc in a email software (such as outlook or gmail). How can I do this? You may want to ask this in a programming newsgroup such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general (in the Microsoft web interface you'll find this group at http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.vba.general&lang=en&cr=US). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP ...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

I do not have Excel on my computer. How do I open an attachment w.
How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have Excel installed on my computer? My model is Windows XP Home. You can use the free viewer available from microsoft web site that only allows viewing. Or, you can find a copy of open office/star office that allows you to import excel files. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF00A029-F488-4D1D-8257-B55F4E96A681@microsoft.com... > How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have > Excel ins...

How copy multiple pages in publisher doc to new doc
want to copy some selected pages from a multi-page Publisher document into a new publisher document. I can of course copy and paste them one by one, but is there a simpler way? Office Help talks of selecting pages in thumbnail pane, but I can't find out how to activate and access a thumbnail pane of a publisher doc. Edit, open Office Clipboard, copy the pages. Depending on your setup, you should be able to collect 24 items. The text will not come over if the text boxes are linked. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft...

Excel won't open in Office XP
Hi all, I have had a problem for the last few weeks opening up my Excel files When I try to open the files, a Window Installer dialouge box appear looking for the Office XP Professional Disk. My Office was preinstalle by my school, which is now complete. If I cancel the Window Installer consectutive times it leaves my new Excel document open and I can work Does anyone know what I need to configure to have Excel open up normall again ? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, 'Kusty' (kusty@accesscomm.ca -- kust --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Open File IF Not Opened
Goodmorning! I was looking for someone who could tell me how I could make a Macro Appliction open files only when there not opened. When a file is allready opened it should be left at alone. When a file is being opened, this file should be granted the opportunity to update it's pivot tables and carry out any external links. I hope someone has the answer! Thanks in advance! Here's some code that might help. It tests whether a file is open: if it is it activates it, otherwise it opens the file. If IsWindowOpen(lStr_FileName) Then Windows(lStr_FileName).Activate ...

i have a pps file that i cant open what do i need to open it with
i recieved a few pitures and cant open then because they are a pps file what do i need to open them with???? Certainly not Excel. Those are PowerPoint files. You can download a PP viewer from here. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en Note instructions for download and installation. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:44:02 -0700, Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i recieved a few pitures and cant open then because they are a pps file what >do i need to open them with??...

Cant open investment center money 2001 deluxe
Two possibly related problems. Error from bank that holds investments -- money says internet connection error "OFXIE12029" When I try to open investments center or click on portfolio money crashes. I have tried the knowledge base fix for corrupt accounts but since the first instruction is to open the investing center or click on portfolio I am stuck. BTW -- does Bill Gates care? Someone had this error the other day, and it was due to their bank blocking their IP address. See also http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312818 A connection error to the bank. ...

Can't open file?
I installed Microsoft Publisher 2000. I have on my computer , files that I saved. When I open the file in Microsoft Publisher. It says it cannot open the file because it is a different version. I have right clicked, selected properties and I want to know what publisher file I saved it under. So is there a way to change the file to Publisher 2000 so I can open it. I have it on my computer. But I am trying to work on my friends computer. So I don't remember what file I saved it under. What is the best way to find out what file it is so I can open it and start working on Microsoft Pub...

cannot open shared calendar
receiving error "server mailbox cannot be opened because this address book entry is not a mail user". Please help Thanks Is this a public calendar or a shared mailbox calendar? How are you trying to open it? Brian Mack wrote: > receiving error "server mailbox cannot be opened because > this address book entry is not a mail user". Please help > Thanks ...