One field referencing multiple bookmarks

I have a document containing several bookmarks, each a new letter for
revision; A, B, C...G. For each new version of the document, a new field and
letter is entered by the responsible. This procedure is ok (for now) and
works fine.
In the header of my document I would like the latest revision letter to
appear in a field.
How do I program my way out of:

Check if bookmarks until last filled is found
Clear field in header
Insert latest (last filled bookmark) revision

Any suggestions appreciated.
--
Best regards
Ulf

One possibility, assuming that you will use only single letters and that
each new letter is incremented by alphabet, you could add a docvariable
field to the header
{DocVariable varLetter} and run the following macro. This will update the
field to display the highest bookmark letter. It works on the premise that
bookmarks are filed alphabetically so when the macro checks each single
digit bookmark, the highest letter is recorded in the document variable.

Dim oVars As Variables
Dim oBM As Bookmark
Dim oStory As Range
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
For Each oBM In ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
    If Len(oBM.name) = 1 Then
        oVars("varLetter").Value = oBM.name
    End If
Next oBM
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
  oStory.Fields.Update
  If oStory.StoryType <> wdMainTextStory Then
    While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
      Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
      oStory.Fields.Update
    Wend
  End If
Next oStory
Set oStory = Nothing

If you want all the Bookmark letters present in the document to be listed
then you would need the following variation

Dim oVars As Variables
Dim oBM As Bookmark
Dim sList As String
Dim oStory As Range
sList = ""
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
For Each oBM In ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
    If Len(oBM.name) = 1 Then
        sList = sList & oBM.name & _
        Chr(44) & Chr(32)
    End If
Next oBM
sList = Left(sList, Len(sList) - 2)
sList = Left(sList, Len(sList) - 3) & Chr(32) _
& Chr(38) & Chr(32) & Right(sList, 1)
oVars("varLetter").Value = sList
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
  oStory.Fields.Update
  If oStory.StoryType <> wdMainTextStory Then
    While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
      Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
      oStory.Fields.Update
    Wend
  End If
Next oStory
Set oStory = Nothing

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"UlfHJensen" <UlfHJensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a document containing several bookmarks, each a new letter for
> revision; A, B, C...G. For each new version of the document, a new field
> and
> letter is entered by the responsible. This procedure is ok (for now) and
> works fine.
> In the header of my document I would like the latest revision letter to
> appear in a field.
> How do I program my way out of:
>
> Check if bookmarks until last filled is found
> Clear field in header
> Insert latest (last filled bookmark) revision
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
> --
> Best regards
> Ulf

0
Graham
5/10/2010 2:28:42 PM
Thanks Graham,
Your first paragraph assumptions are indeed correct and hence the macro
would probably work. I'll give it a try.
--
Best regards
Ulf

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> [...]
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "UlfHJensen" <UlfHJensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a document containing several bookmarks, each a new letter for
> > revision; A, B, C...G. For each new version of the document, a new field
> > and
> > letter is entered by the responsible. This procedure is ok (for now) and
> > works fine.
> > In the header of my document I would like the latest revision letter to
> > appear in a field.
> > How do I program my way out of:
> >
> > Check if bookmarks until last filled is found
> > Clear field in header
> > Insert latest (last filled bookmark) revision

Hi Graham,
I have now tried but -even though the code executes flawlessly - nothing
shows in varLetter. I tried to single step the code and it appears the
statement If Len(oBM... never goes True depsite letters A and B in the
bookmarks respektively, i.e. varLetter show display a "B".
I have treid to troubleshoot myself but I am not that into VBA -yet. I am
not sure what the second part (the oStory-part) actually is intended to do.

Giving my basic idea a re-evaluation, I think probably the easiest way is
(for me, that is) to address directly the bookmarks and assigning (Set?) the
varLetter value from these. I have only 7 allowable revision letters so
having 7 Ifs or similar would not be to confusing. Of course I would have to
clear the contents of varLetter prior to checking for new revision.

Any help on this?

--
Best regards
Ulf

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> [...]
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "UlfHJensen" <UlfHJensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a document containing several bookmarks, each a new letter for
> > revision; A, B, C...G. For each new version of the document, a new field
> > and
> > letter is entered by the responsible. This procedure is ok (for now) and
> > works fine.
> > In the header of my document I would like the latest revision letter to
> > appear in a field.
> > How do I program my way out of:
> >
> > Check if bookmarks until last filled is found
> > Clear field in header
> > Insert latest (last filled bookmark) revision

The macro checks the names of the bookmarks and not the values they contain.
The macro is simply looking for bookmarks called A, B, C etc which it loads
in turn into the variable each overwriting the previous letter, and as they
are in alphabetical order, the last letter is the one that the variable
retains ... until you add another bookmark and re-run the macro.
If you want to send me a sample of your document (use the link on the home
page of my web site - and remove any sensitive data) I would be able to see
exactly what you are doing and maybe suggest a workaround to achieve what
you want. At the moment I am not 100% clear on how you are using the version
information - the bookmark(s) and the 'field'. It may, for example not be
necessary top use a bookmark at all - you could simply write the letter to a
docvariable with a macro and reproduce it with a docvariable field
or
If there is only one letter in the document at a time, format that letter
with a unique character style (that can be the same as the underlying style
except for the name) and reproduce the content of the style - the letter -
in the header using a Styleref field.

If you merely want to reflect the revision letters in the variable then the
following macro will do that - up to a maximum of  7 letters A- G. Run this
macro in the the last saved version of the document. When you save it
increments the letter and saves the document with the same filename in the
same folder with the addition of the incremented letter e.g.

C:\Path\filename revision A.doc

Sub FileSave()
Dim oDoc As Document
Dim oVars As Variables
Dim oStory As Range
Dim sFname As String
Set oDoc = ActiveDocument
Set oVars = oDoc.Variables
On Error Resume Next
If oVars("varLetter").Value = "" Then
    oVars("varLetter").Value = " "
End If
If Len(oDoc.Path) = 0 Then
    oDoc.Save
End If
sFname = Left(oDoc.FullName, Len(oDoc.FullName) - _
(Len(oDoc.FullName) - InStrRev(oDoc.FullName, ".") + 1))
Select Case oVars("varLetter").Value
    Case " ": oVars("varLetter").Value = "A"
    Case "A"
        oVars("varLetter").Value = "B"
        sFname = Replace(sFname, " Revision A", "")
    Case "B"
        oVars("varLetter").Value = "C"
        sFname = Replace(sFname, " Revision B", "")
    Case "C"
        oVars("varLetter").Value = "D"
        sFname = Replace(sFname, " Revision C", "")
    Case "D"
        oVars("varLetter").Value = "E"
        sFname = Replace(sFname, " Revision D", "")
    Case "E"
        oVars("varLetter").Value = "F"
        sFname = Replace(sFname, " Revision E", "")
    Case "F"
        oVars("varLetter").Value = "G"
        sFname = Replace(sFname, " Revision F", "")
    Case Else: MsgBox "Maximum permitted revision already added." & vbCr & _
        "Revision letter will not be updated" & vbCr & _
        "Document will not be saved", vbInformation, "Revisions"
        Exit Sub
End Select
For Each oStory In oDoc.StoryRanges
  oStory.Fields.Update
  If oStory.StoryType <> wdMainTextStory Then
    While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
      Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
      oStory.Fields.Update
    Wend
  End If
Next oStory
Set oStory = Nothing
oDoc.SaveAs sFname & " Revision " & oVars("varLetter").Value
End Sub

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> [...]
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "UlfHJensen" <UlfHJensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a document containing several bookmarks, each a new letter for
>> > revision; A, B, C...G. For each new version of the document, a new
>> > field
>> > and
>> > letter is entered by the responsible. This procedure is ok (for now)
>> > and
>> > works fine.
>> > In the header of my document I would like the latest revision letter to
>> > appear in a field.
>> > How do I program my way out of:
>> >
>> > Check if bookmarks until last filled is found
>> > Clear field in header
>> > Insert latest (last filled bookmark) revision

0
Graham

Calculating the differance between 2 time fields
I have 2 time fields in a query that i want to know the differance of. I want the result to formatted "hh,mm" in the field. Can this happen in a query? You can use DateDiff("n", [Time1], [Time2])\60 & ":" & Format(DateDiff("n", [Time1], [Time2]) Mod 60, "00") Note that this returns a string, so you will not be able to do arithmetic on the result. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JWG" <JWG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F61E1A2-425E-4630-ACBC-...

Programmatically Selecting multiple Items
I want to programmatically select all of the items in a mail folder. Can this be done? In particular, I want to automate the process I now do manually wherein I select all of the mail items in a folder and save them to one, big, text file. No, you can't add to the Selection collection or otherwise manipulate it in code. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Norm" <idaman@conversent.net&...

HOW DO I ROUND A NUMBER TO THE NEAREST MULTIPLE OF 5?
..I TRIED THIS FORMULA =MROUND(A1,5) AND THE FPRMULA DIDN'T WORK WHERE A1 IS THE NUMBER THAT I WANT TO ROUNG OFF how about something like this? =ROUND(a1/5,0)*5 -- Charles www.officezealot.com "ALCID" <ALCID@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A68A08D-70CB-44EC-8545-AC5A78CB8E46@microsoft.com... > .I TRIED THIS FORMULA > =MROUND(A1,5) AND THE FPRMULA DIDN'T WORK WHERE A1 IS THE NUMBER THAT I > WANT > TO ROUNG OFF =mround() needs to have the analysis toolpak loaded. Tools|addins (see help for =mround() for more info) Another way w...

How to assign one client to more than one users?
I have to clients A nad B. Moreover I have 4 software developers : P2, P3, P4 and P5. P1 is a chief ( with admin rights ). What I want to do now is : P1 creates an account for client A. P1 wrote some info about A and some notes. P1 wants to assign client A to the P2, P3 and P4. P1 also wants them to see all the notes he had written. Similar to client B, for whom P1 wants to assign P4 and P5 . P1 also wants : -P2 not to see account for B, -P5 not to see the account for A, -P4 to see both accounts A nad B. And here is my question : Is it possible, and if so ( a little exma...

Two mailboxes, one SMTP address...and no email.
We had a task yesterday to merge two mailboxes into one. All seemingly went well - all SMTP addresses from mailbox one were moved over to mailbox two, and mailbox one hidden from the address book. Last night, the team who use this mailbox told me they weren't receiving certain mails, which go to a particular SMTP address. On investigation, I found this one lingering SMTP address listed in both mailbox one and mailbox two. I can only presume that between recipient policy and replication, the whole thing got messed up. I've deleted the SMTP address from mailbox one, and mail is flowing...

How to sum all the records, excluding the top N ones?
I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records, excluding the top 20 ones. Thanks in advance, Paulo Care to post your existing query that sums the TOP 20? The sum of the rest is basically the sum of ALL minus the Sum of the Top 20. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County Paulo wrote: > I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I > need, however, is how to sum the r...

Importing Outlook Fields into Excel
I want to export my Outlook calendar fields into Excel. How can I do it? Go to outlook File - Import and Export - and follow the instructions. Nancy wrote: > I want to export my Outlook calendar fields into Excel. > How can I do it? > > Hi in Outlook you should be able to export your data to a *.csv file -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Nancy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:195001c4aafc$08e96310$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I want to export my Outlook calendar fields into Excel. > How can I do it? > >...

VB syntax problem with referencing another tab
Hi. The following macro works fine if I run it while the tab in question is open. If I try to run it with another tab open, I get a 400 error. I'm pretty sure it's just a problem with the way I'm referencing the tab. Any ideas on how I could make this work? Sub Formatierung_Einverkauf() Set sh1 = Sheets("Einverkauf") z = 4 Do Until sh1.Cells(z, 1).Value = "" If sh1.Cells(z, 1).Value <> sh1.Cells(z + 1, 1).Value Then sh1.Rows(z).Select With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom) .LineStyle = xl...

Reflecting info between an excel file and a word one or two excel file.
I have an Excel file that I use as a database with the dates of the time when my company does the maintenance of our electronics tools (we work in an industry that uses them a lot, we have around 200 in an Excel file). So the documents look as follows (the images are copied and edited in paint, that's why they look kinda weird). They are next to each other; I divided it here in order to fit it to word's format (it's in Spanish, there's no need for you to understand what it says anyway): Go to www.caladeamerica.com.ar/1st file.jpg please and see it. We do the maintenance of...

Can I set up default Header/Footer fields?
the The majority of reports I create have the same logo and title format in the report header, and the same fields in the page footer. Is there any way these can be set as a default? I understand that controls won't work in a template, only overall formatting. Thanks Joanne See the suggestions in this article: Default forms, reports and databases at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-43.html That's what I actually do. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at m...

Join same field on two tables
Forgive if this is really stupid. This is what I am dealing with in terms as simple as I can come up with: I have one table with multiple records (country names) and multiple fields (over 20). I have a second table with that contains only a limited number of records (all of which are also represented in the other table) with only two fields (also represented in the other table). I need to know if it is possible to make the information from the second table "join" with the first table and display the data from both tables in one column. Does that make any sense? You can combine da...

Hyper link one column to another
I would like to have my columns hyper link one another. For example: Click on B2 would take you to N2, and vice-versa. Click on C2 would take you to O2... and so on through column j linked to V. Is this possible without having to make the link for each cell? This is a timesheet template and the columns b though J are the hours and N through V are the text comments for those hours. When I copy the template to a new sheet, there will be no data in any column. I would like to be able to enter an amount or formula (=end-start) for time spent and then be able to click on that cell and hyperlin...

Best Practices for Field Validation
This is an architectural question and since I'm relatively new to MFC I hope I can get some advice from more knowledgable folks. I have an app that I'm moving to WinCE (4.2) with MFC and there are a number of dialogs--about 30--that each contain different fields. In this app there are a number of different units in use--e.g., 5.08 metres, 185 PSI, 1.8 in, etc.--and each setting has its own limits. For example, on a particular screen, field 1 can be set anywhere between 1 - 100, and field 2 can be between 1 - 60. Each field on each screen has this min and max. I'm looking for an ...

multiple users...again
My wife and I have road runner cable. We each have our own email account. We want to use Outlook 2003 to read our respected emails. I've tried to configure it so that we each have our own password for outlook for privacy of email. As it stands now, when I click on the Outlook shortcut on the desktop it asks for my password. I give it and it opens up my email folder. I tried to create a folder for my wife's email. I put a password on her folder. Now when I open outlook from the shortcut on the desktop, it want's my password. The program opens and then to get to her f...

Microsoft one step ahead
http://absolute-insight.blogspot.com/2011/01/microsoft-one-step-ahead.html ...

Multiple symptom search engine
Hi, I found a great medical site you might be interested in. You can enter a variety of medical symptoms and it searches for corresponding conditions. The web address is: http://www.mdspider.com/symptoms I've been to all the other sites and could not find my problem but found it there (I think). ...

Coverting Rows in Fields
I am trying to import data from MS Access but it comes as rows i excel. Is it possible to while we importing the database into the excel we change the rows to columns and data still get synce with databas source. lets say fields a1 b1 c1 d1 data a2 b2 c2 d2 a1 a2 b1 b2 c1 c2 d1 d2 Regards, A -- khansab14 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- khansab143's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3640 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56183 Select all the data (fields and data), ...

Custom field for analyze timescaled
Is it possible to add a custom field (e.g., Text1) to the analyze timescaled Excel export file? When I run the analyze timescaled report only the task name field is exported. Thanks. ...

Acess Memo Fields
Are access memo fields the only control one could use if they wanted to assocate records in a table with large amounts of text? I have a database that tracks transaction specifics between the company and customer. Sometimes, a particular account requires the generation of a letter to be mailed to some place. I was considering using a memo field to allow the user to type his/her letter, then build a report that would incorporate the account info with the text that was generated...the only problem is the memo field and its lack of word processor qualities.... Is a memo field the only wa...

Sumif
If this is a sample of my spreadsheet, how do I calculate so that the results will look at both col A and B and sum the total in col C for each variable in col. A. In other words what is the total amount for A for Jan, Mar... Col A Col B Col C Col D a Mar 254 850 a Jan 266 125 c Feb 987 121 c Jan 885 151 a Mar 352 850 b Jan 558 454 Thanks, Anat A pivot table would give you the desired results. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConfere...

Multiple eMail Domains & Shared Calendar
Windows SBS 2003 R2 w/Exchange Windows XP Pro w/Outlook 2003 Server and workstations, respectively. Situation: Family-run small businesses (plural) sharing an office and resources. 4 different email domains in use/desired. Shared calendar also desired. How do I setup Exchange on SBS 2K3 R2 to send/receive emails for multiple email domains with only 1 SBS server (also PDC, etc.)? Using off-site email hosting and am in the process of migrating on-site using Exchange which came with SBS. Changed 1 set of MX records for 1 domain name to point to server. Additional email domains a cri...

Bug: MM05 online banking
MM05 uses a single login for each bank - unfortunately my brokerage (Bank of America Investment Services) uses a unique login for each account. So, I'm unable to use online banking in MS Money to sync with my brokerage and IRA accounts. If there was some way for me to duplicate the "Bank of America Investment Services" so I have two instances of the bank, I could make it work - any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Crimbo wrote: >MM05 uses a single login for each bank - unfortunately my brokerage (Bank of >America Investment Services) uses a unique login f...

one instance multiple companies
Does anyone know if you run one instance of great plains and setup multiple compnaies if the administrator that setup the companies originally will still have access to all company records??? If this is the case in order to ensure security between companies sharing a server would it be best to run multiple instances of Great Plains on the single server?? Can this be done? are additional costs involved?? thank you I'm not sure I understand the question - are you talking about installing one instance of GP (with the same registration keys) on a single server for multiple (unrelated) co...

Fields not showing up in design view
I'm building a query from several others, and I'm running into the following problem: Two of the queries, when added to the query, do not show any fields, just an empty box with the query title at the top. Is there some obvious error I'm missing? Both of the tables have expressions for fields. One has only one field, which is: DHSAgain: Sum(IIf([Q6 DHS Again]=-1,1,0)) The other has 16 fields, all of which follow this format: Q4HFam: Sum(IIf([Q4 Health Reasons (family)]=-1,1,0)) Q4Pay: Sum(IIf([Q4 Pay and Benefits]=-1,1,0)) And so on. The other queries (the ones with fields...

Multiple Records Into A Single Record...
I have about 800 records that look like this: id diag 0001 11.0 0001 4.56 0003 10.5 0003 41.7 0003 52.5 I want it to look like this: id diag1 diag2 diag3 0001 11.0 4.56 0003 10.5 41.7 52. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried using a pivot table? "aljordan >" wrote: > I have about 800 records that look like this: > > id diag > 0001 11.0 > 0001 4.56 > 0003 10.5 > 0003 41.7 > 0003 52.5 > > > I want it to look like this: > > id dia...