Off topic question

Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

0
Jim

What sorts of questions? About the groups themselves? About Usenet? About
newsreaders such as Outlook Express (which I see you're using)?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jim Birke .com>" <jimbir@yahoo<notthis> wrote in message
> Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

0
Suzanne
2/10/2010 1:49:06 AM
I am subscribed to several newsgroups in msnews.microsoft.com.
Here are my questions:
one of them has the number 6495 in blue next to it. when I click on it, I
see '246 messages, 242 unread, 6345 not downloaded' in the lower left corner
of the screen. If Iook at this group from within the server, I see 6485
unread  and 6489 total.. What do all these numbers mean? How do I download
the 6345?. Are all these messages taking up space on my drive? Is there a
newsgroup tutorial some place that I can read and learn from?

Thanks, Jim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> What sorts of questions? About the groups themselves? About Usenet? About
> newsreaders such as Outlook Express (which I see you're using)?
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Jim Birke .com>" <jimbir@yahoo<notthis> wrote in message
>> Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

0
Jim
2/11/2010 6:25:14 PM
The number 246 is the number of message headers you have downloaded; the 242
are the messages you have not "read" (i.e., clicked on and left selected
long enough for them to have been marked as read). To get the rest, you have
to change your NG settings so that you don't get just a limited number of
headers at a time (in Tools | Options | Read: News, clear the check box for
"Get (x) headers at a time." When you click on a NG in OE, only the headers
(subject lines) are downloaded; messages are not downloaded until you choose
to do so (there are settings for each NG, however, that determine whether
headers or messages are downloaded for offline reading).

The messages that you download (by clicking on the header to read in the
preview pane or by double-clicking to open them) are indeed stored on your
HD. If  you have the Size column displayed in OE, you'll see that they're
quite small (I'm seeing messages ranging from 1KB to 7KB in this NG at the
moment), and OE stores them collectively in folders so that they don't take
up too much space. If you have OE set to expire them after a certain length
of time (say, 30 days), then you won't be storing them indefinitely.

For more on all this, see

--

>I am subscribed to several newsgroups in msnews.microsoft.com.
> Here are my questions:
> one of them has the number 6495 in blue next to it. when I click on it, I
> see '246 messages, 242 unread, 6345 not downloaded' in the lower left
> corner of the screen. If Iook at this group from within the server, I see
> 6485 unread  and 6489 total.. What do all these numbers mean? How do I
> download the 6345?. Are all these messages taking up space on my drive? Is
> there a newsgroup tutorial some place that I can read and learn from?
>
> Thanks, Jim
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> What sorts of questions? About the groups themselves? About Usenet? About
>> newsreaders such as Outlook Express (which I see you're using)?
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Jim Birke .com>" <jimbir@yahoo<notthis> wrote in message
>>> Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

0
Suzanne
2/11/2010 8:24:02 PM
Thanks for the info

> For more on all this, see< ? did you leave out a link?

Where, on my drive, are the messages stored?

> The number 246 is the number of message headers you have downloaded; the
> 242 are the messages you have not "read" (i.e., clicked on and left
> selected long enough for them to have been marked as read). To get the
> rest, you have to change your NG settings so that you don't get just a
> limited number of headers at a time (in Tools | Options | Read: News,
> clear the check box for "Get (x) headers at a time." When you click on a
> NG in OE, only the headers (subject lines) are downloaded; messages are
> not downloaded until you choose to do so (there are settings for each NG,
> however, that determine whether headers or messages are downloaded for
> offline reading).
>
> The messages that you download (by clicking on the header to read in the
> preview pane or by double-clicking to open them) are indeed stored on your
> HD. If  you have the Size column displayed in OE, you'll see that they're
> quite small (I'm seeing messages ranging from 1KB to 7KB in this NG at the
> moment), and OE stores them collectively in folders so that they don't
> take up too much space. If you have OE set to expire them after a certain
> length of time (say, 30 days), then you won't be storing them
> indefinitely.
>
> For more on all this, see

0
Jim
2/11/2010 10:30:56 PM
Sorry, I started to include a link, then looked at the linked page and
concluded that it didn't say much more than I'd already told you (or you
already knew). I've seen more info posted in one of these NGs recently, but
evidently not from that page. I meant to delete the intro text. You can,
however, learn more about how OE handles messages from the Web site I was
going to reference. See http://www.insideoe.com/files/

--

> Thanks for the info
>
>> For more on all this, see< ? did you leave out a link?
>
> Where, on my drive, are the messages stored?
>
> Jim
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> The number 246 is the number of message headers you have downloaded; the
>> 242 are the messages you have not "read" (i.e., clicked on and left
>> selected long enough for them to have been marked as read). To get the
>> rest, you have to change your NG settings so that you don't get just a
>> limited number of headers at a time (in Tools | Options | Read: News,
>> clear the check box for "Get (x) headers at a time." When you click on a
>> NG in OE, only the headers (subject lines) are downloaded; messages are
>> not downloaded until you choose to do so (there are settings for each NG,
>> however, that determine whether headers or messages are downloaded for
>> offline reading).
>>
>> The messages that you download (by clicking on the header to read in the
>> preview pane or by double-clicking to open them) are indeed stored on
>> your HD. If  you have the Size column displayed in OE, you'll see that
>> they're quite small (I'm seeing messages ranging from 1KB to 7KB in this
>> NG at the moment), and OE stores them collectively in folders so that
>> they don't take up too much space. If you have OE set to expire them
>> after a certain length of time (say, 30 days), then you won't be storing
>> them indefinitely.
>>
>> For more on all this, see

0
Suzanne
2/11/2010 10:56:53 PM
Thanks again. That will help a lot!
Now, back on topic

> Sorry, I started to include a link, then looked at the linked page and
> concluded that it didn't say much more than I'd already told you (or you
> already knew). I've seen more info posted in one of these NGs recently,
> but evidently not from that page. I meant to delete the intro text. You
> can, however, learn more about how OE handles messages from the Web site I
> was going to reference. See http://www.insideoe.com/files/

0
Jim

A couple of questions...
Please help: 1) How to create Icon shown in "Choose drawing type" menu for template WITHOUT painting anything on the template 2) How to detect currently active page in active document 3) How to deselect all items on current page 4) ... Thank you. The answer to your first question is the answer to the sixth question on http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/columns/column12.asp For #2, do you mean ActivePage? Dim pagObj As Visio.Page 'Find out if a page exists, then retrieve the page. If Not(ActivePage Is Nothing) Then Set pagObj = Visio.Application.Ac...

Change Backend to Frontend Server Questions
I started out with one exchange 2003 backend server - clients connect to this via RPC- https and pop3. I have now installed a second 2003 enterprise backend server and will be moving all mail boxes and public folders to it then converting the original server to a frontend server. My questions are; 1. Should continue to I deliver incoming SMTP to the FE server after the change? 2. Does it matter that the FE server is the PDC and the first Exchsrvr 3. Should Pop3 clients collect mail via the FE server? I have read the FE BE Topography guide but there is not much information on re-assign...

Question on PDF format
Using Publisher 2007, VISTA Utlimate. When I create a PDF file to send a 16 page newsletter (11 x 17) through an e-mail attachment, the pages display in the same order that they print out (page 16 is on the lefthand side and page 1 is on the righthand side, etc.). I've been trying to find a way for the PDF file to display the pages in order so that the person I'm sending it to can see the pages in order, just as if they were holding the hard copy of this newsletter in their hand. Is this possible in PDF? Thanks! Joy Change the booklet setup to a regular page setup, 11 x 8.5. -- ...

Need your expertise!! Excel Question
How can I have 2 excel documents at the same time?? I have Excel 2000 and for some strange reason the software doens't allow me to have 2 documents open at the same time, I have to minimize one in order to open the other one... Any suggestions... Thank you and happy new year to all... R. Hi do you get an error message if you try this? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Robb wrote: > How can I have 2 excel documents at the same time?? I have Excel > 2000 and for some strange reason the software doens't allow me to > have 2 documents open at the same time, I h...

NDR Question again
Well, while I'm at it, I might as well ask about this one that has been plaguing me for a while. We get this NDR error when someone sends to this particular address: 550 Only 1 recipients accepted with null sender address Again, the emails are sent using Outlook to a listing in our GAL for the Custom Recipient. I have checked the outgoing messages and they do contain a sender address. Any ideas? Thanks. Bob Schmidt ...

Another Journal Question
Is there a way to have it record for all contacts, not just the ones in my list? IE., If I reply to an email from someone that is not in my contacts list. ...

Question #7
Where are my old emails on my MSN email account? ...

Final attempt save as binary question
This is about my fifth attempt since March, so far without eliciting a single reply (last attempt seems to have disappeared into the ether): Re Excel 2007 "Save as binary". Its supposed to save space and be quicker. So why isn't it the default method? Is there a downside? For example, will macros no longer work? Are there reduced functions in a file saved as binary? I need to know before I save a large and majorly important (to me) file with heaps of worksheets and macros and find down the track that I've lost something significant! There HAS to be some reas...

Mail Delivery Question
Hi, I have an Exchange behind a linksys router on an ADSL connection. My server is configured to use DNS to deliver outgoing and my DNS has forwarding enabled to external DNS server. I can send email to an email account of the ISP that I'm on, while I can't send email to other domains. Is there something else that I need to do? TIA TagaR What NDRs do you get, if any? TagaR wrote: > Hi, > > I have an Exchange behind a linksys router on an ADSL connection. My > server is configured to use DNS to deliver outgoing and my DNS has > forwarding enabled to external DNS s...

Quick Question
Im a pretty newbie to Excel Why is it when i try and paste say 1/29 it changes to Jan-29 etc Is there away of preventing this from happening? thanks.. Problem now sorted -- "G3�wh)zZ@" <geewhizza@( REMOVE X2X )clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:1082898274.11577.0@damia.uk.clara.net... > Im a pretty newbie to Excel > > Why is it when i try and paste say 1/29 it changes to Jan-29 etc > > Is there away of preventing this from happening? > > > thanks.. > > Right click the cell/Format Cells/Date "G3�wh)zZ@" <geewhizza@( REMOVE ...

A further question on dates
If you have a column of dates in the format dd-mmm-yyyy is there a formula which would count the number of entries where the month is Jan for example. I have tried COUNTIF(A1:A50,???) but I am not sure what to put in place of the question marks. I do not mind using a different date format if this would make it easier. Thanks John =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A1:A100)=1)) BUT, that means a 5 year range would count ALL January dates regardless of year - is that what you want? -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97...

Question regarding Trial Version
I am not able to customize Forms (like Leads etc) using the trial version. Does anyone know whether i can login to MS CRM as Administrator to customize the forms? It currently says no privilege while clicking on Customize. the trial version is a fully-functioning version. you need to be granted the System Administrator role or, at minimum, the System Customizer role. by default, the user that installed the CRM will have the System Administrator role and will have the rights to grant that or any role to you. Dave "Ayyappa Das" <AyyappaDas@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Question on Article 822940
We have created a couple of test domains in our envoriment. When we add Exchange users to the test domain they appear in the Default Global Address List. I would like to prevent users in the "test" domain from appearing in the default global address list. I noticed in article 822940 it goes thru the steps of limiting access to the default global address list. I would like to keep this intact and make it so the other sub domains are not listed in the default GAL. What is the easiet way to do this? Thanks! ...

OLAP and Excel question
Hi everyone, I posted this in excel.misc on the 11th Feb. No response Using Excel 2003, a cube database (extension .cub) with a pivot table. The OLAP database is 1,000 rows deep and 13 columns wide. Therefore only 13,000 cells. A PivotTable should handle this easily. When I expand all the levels, I get the following message: "Excel cannot display this PivotTable report. The row area has more than 65,536 items, or the column area has more than 16,384 items." I thought the there were only 256 columns in Excel And I thought that a pivot table could only display 8,000 elements from a ...

wireless router question from a dummy
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g. Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook? I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is the same case with a wireless n router? thanks How do you connect to the net? Do you have more than one PC? "iluv my kitties and family&...

Off topic
I don't suppose anyone can explain why I can read the messages in this newsgroup only via msnews.microsoft.com when I used to be able to get them via blueyonder.news ? -- Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears Sounds like a question for blueyonder. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Jack Schitt wrote: > I don't suppose anyone can explain why I can read the messages in this > newsgroup only via > msnews.microsoft.com > when I used to be able to get them vi...

ot
OT - OFF - TOPIC Hola amig@s; El gobierno Colombiano en su continuo inter�s de ofrecer oportunidades acad�micas y profesionales a todos sus habitantes y a todos los interesados en capacitaci�n ha preparado una de las mejores plataformas de educaci�n virtual, con cursos virtuales "certificados" con cero costo. Los invito a visitar la WEB del Servicio nacional de Aprendizaje, nacionales o extranjeros pueden acceder a una de las plataformas educativas gratuitas mejor estructuradas y pagadas por todos los Colombianos. Hay cursos de inform�tica, office, outlook , cursos de Excel...

newbie needs help - ACCESS - Word
Is it possible to import into a Word Table or Excel spreadsheet x number of records so that you could have on a page, like four photos across and several lines text fields underneath and then repeat the whole thing again, for a total of eight records on a given page? ...

Topics on Electronics
Electronics is the field of manipulating electrical currents and voltages using passive and active components that are connected together to create circuits. Electronic circuits range from a simple load resistor that converts a current to a voltage, to computer central-processing units (CPUs) that can contain more than a million transistors. The following indices and documents provide a basic reference for understanding electronic components, circuits, and applications. http://electronicstopics.blogspot.com/2008/10/welcome-to-world-of-electronics.html ...

Upgrade question
I am currently using M2005 Small Buisness. I would like to upgrade to M2006 Premium because we no longer have our small buisness. Does anyone know if the buisness section catagories will transfer to the new version? TIA moncho Yes, the business categories will transfer, but you won't have access to the special "Accounts Receivable" account. -- "moncho" <moncho@NOspamAMmeritech.net> wrote in message news:PDDOe.891$eQ.643@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com... >I am currently using M2005 Small Buisness. > > I would like to upgrade to M2006 Premium beca...

question #7
Hello I have a question any help would be appreciated. In column A I have around 1500 dates and in column B also,and I want to make column C that will have differences in years for every row.How can i do that? Hi C2=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"y") etc. -- Arvi Laanemets (When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee) "Crni Zeko" <innercityfirmnospam@inet.hr> wrote in message news:cl08cs$oor$1@sunce.iskon.hr... > Hello > I have a question any help would be appreciated. > In column A I have around 1500 dates and in column B also,and I want to make &g...

IF and THEN question
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where a certain column display what is to be done with the information. For example: A B C D 123 456 789 DELETE 987 654 321 ADD What I'd like to do in column E is to make a formula that says: If D1 equals DELETE, then put the value DEL in E1 If D1 had been ADD, then I would want the value PUT in E1 Does this make any sense? Thanks for any help! Thomas --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Thomas put the following in E1: =IF(D1="DELETE","DEL",IF(D1="ADD","PUT",&quo...

Question #2
Hey I have a pretty complicated question, it's probably easy for wel versed users, but I'm not sure what the cleanest way to do this is Here's what I'm doing. I'm taking a column of numbers, then in th column next to it I want to do the following =(B2/(AVERAGE(B2:B29))*75 I've figured it out to that point, but rather than adjusting each o the other cells when I use the format painter to find this value in th column, I'd like to just be able to format them all the same and hav them all find their value I hope this explains what I'm trying to do well enough,...

Compacting question
I have WinXP, OE6. My computer man made a file folder by size of my OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need compacting (before I do an external backup). I prefer to compact folders individually, rather than "compact all'. Here is my question: The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I get this message: "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the compacting....