Numbering, revisited

While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able
to find the solutions for my specific quandry...

[BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to
make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the
first step! :) ]

Background:  My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon.
We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing
multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual).  Each chapter consists
of steps, using multi-level numbered lists -- the first level is a "1, 2, 3"
type list, and the second level is an "A, B, C", type list.  Often, there are
tables or notes interspersed between the steps, and sometimes the steps are
multiple paragraphs long.

Therefore, we need to be able to:

a) Set up a multilevel list in each chapter -- with each chapter's list
starting at step #1

b) Restart a series of steps after a break (such as after a table or a Note)

c) Skip numbering the second paragraph of a step

d) Revise the information in the steps (adding/deleting/rearranging) as
needs dictate, without adversely impacting the overall numbering,  (In other
words, if you have a series of steps 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B,  5 -- if you delete
#3, the new steps would be 1, 2, 3, A, B,  4 -- not 1, 2, 4, A, B, 5 or 1, 2,
1, A, B, 2, or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.)

In theory, it appears that this should be 'easy' in Word 2007.  (We've been
doing these tasks successfully with other versions of Word, with macro
support, since the days of Word 95!  I've even tried using some macros/VBA
code that worked well in XP.)  However, in practice, this is what I've
observed thus far in Word 2007:

a) I can set up a multilevel list.  However....

b) If I use either the restart/continuing number function, the multilevel
list becomes a one-level list, and any indented steps (A, B, C) are converted
to main-level steps.  Thus a 1-2-a-b-c-3-4 list becomes 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.  When
I re-select Multilevel list (on the Home tab), nothing happens; if I try to
tab over to re-indent the step, nothing happens at all.

c) I've experimented with different types of breaks between chapters -- but
it doesn't seem to matter whether there's a Page Break or a Section Break --
in either case, if I select Continue Numbering after a blank line after step
4 in chapter 2, not only does the next step have the next conscutive number
AND the indented steps are converted to main-level steps, but ALSO the
numbering of all the steps in chapter 2 are continued after chapter 1.  So if
chapter 1 has 8 steps, the first step in chapter 2 is #9.  If I click
"Restart at 1" (from the Context menu) on the 1st step, nothing happens. If I
go into the Numbering menu itself, sometimes it actually will revert to 1 --
but only in a one-level list.

d) I was able to "skip numbering" by establishing a style that looks like a
numbered step that's really just an indented paragraph.  However, then the
next step by default becomes a new #1, and the issue with the
restart/continuing numbering (losing the multilevel list capability)
reappears.

e) I also tried using a numbering "style" (List Paragraphs), but was unable
to set it up to be a multi-level numbering scheme.

ANY suggestions for coping with these frustrating behaviors is greatly
appreciated!  Being able to effectively use multilevel lists -- with breaks
between steps, and with distinct starting points in each chapter -- is
extremely crucial to our work.  Thank you in advance!

Diana

It is not clear from your  post whether you are using W2003's outline
numbered list feature in your current documents.  From the description of the
problems, I am guessing no. In  W2007 the outline numbered list is called
multilevel list and, by either name, list levels  linked to paragraph styles
is the key to getting what you want.  The suggestions below are based on your
description of your documents.

Dogwoodnc wrote:
>Background:  My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon.
>We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing
>multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual).  Each chapter consists
>of steps, using multi-level numbered lists -- the first level is a "1, 2, 3"
>type list, and the second level is an "A, B, C", type list.  Often, there are
>tables or notes interspersed between the steps, and sometimes the steps are
>multiple paragraphs long.
>
>Therefore, we need to be able to:
>
>a) Set up a multilevel list in each chapter -- with each chapter's list
>starting at step #1
See b.

>b) Restart a series of steps after a break (such as after a table or a Note)

This is doable by setting up a  multilevel list where list levels are linked
to chapter, note, table, the 1,2,3 list, and  the A,B,C list paragraph styles.
The level for list 1,2,3 should be set to restart after the table level (it
will restart after level 1 and after level 2 as well as after level 3 (the
tale level).

The built-in List and List 2 paragraph styles and their "list continue"
counterparts may suit for the  list paragraph styles or you could define your
own styles.

>c) Skip numbering the second paragraph of a step
Style not linked to a list number level do not carry a number (as long as
they are not based on a numbered style),  so the built-in List continue
styles would work here.

>d) Revise the information in the steps (adding/deleting/rearranging) as
>needs dictate, without adversely impacting the overall numbering,  (In other
>words, if you have a series of steps 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B,  5 -- if you delete
>#3, the new steps would be 1, 2, 3, A, B,  4 -- not 1, 2, 4, A, B, 5 or 1, 2,
>1, A, B, 2, or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.)
Should not be a problem.  Many , if not all, of the problems you describe
below should become a distant memory.    If you are not familiar with setting
up outline/multilevel lists, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
while you still have W2003.  Your thought to get the to work in W2003 is a
good one.  When you get W2007, either search this site for instructions on
how to create multilevel lists  or write back.

For later, after you've  spent some time with W2007( or 10),  you can make
applying styles easier for users by customizing the quick styles gallery for
your template.  Because your list is so customized, you may want to consider
defining a "List style", which can be shared to other documents.

Good luck,
Pam

Pamelia
4/16/2010 1:02:40 AM
Thank you for your suggestions!
Indeed, in previous Office versions, we have been using a 'defined'
multilevel list, but not a true style, due to other software limitations.
(For many years, after we finished our Word docs, others copied them into
Lotus Notes & served them to the intranet via Domino, for viewing by various
browsers.  Unfortunately, there were poor online results when we used Styles,
so we developed the defined lists as a workaround.)

Fortunately, we are not using that methodology now, so we have already
started implementing Styles in other aspects of our documents.  So, for new
documents, the solution of defining and using a multilevel style should work
well.  Again, thank you for that suggestion!  I've already defined these
styles, made macros to easily call them, and added them to a custom tab on
the ribbon, which we plan to distribute via a startup template.  So that's
progress!

I'm still a bit concerned about revising existing documents (since there are
SO many of them and some are extremely large), since they still exhibit the
flaky numbering as described earlier when steps are added/deleted/rearranged
-- until we are able to reformat them all.  I think reformatting (using
styles) will be the optimal solution -- but it may be a long time before we
can reformat EVERYthing.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

> [...]
> >#3, the new steps would be 1, 2, 3, A, B,  4 -- not 1, 2, 4, A, B, 5 or 1, 2,
> >1, A, B, 2, or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.)
> Should not be a problem.  Many , if not all, of the problems you describe
> below should become a distant memory.    If you are not familiar with setting
> up outline/multilevel lists, see
> http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
> while you still have W2003.  Your thought to get the to work in W2003 is a
> good one.  When you get W2007, either search this site for instructions on
> how to create multilevel lists  or write back.
>

> For later, after you've  spent some time with W2007( or 10),  you can make
> applying styles easier for users by customizing the quick styles gallery for
> your template.  Because your list is so customized, you may want to consider
> defining a "List style", which can be shared to other documents.

Note that whenever you create a Word document, you are using Styles --
even if only the "Normal" style, with individual formatting applied on
top.

It's curious that you've made "macros to easily call" styles -- when
styles are easily applied either from the dropdown style list, or by
opening the Styles & Formatting panel (Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S), which can
dock unobtrusively at the side.

On Apr 20, 5:10=A0pm, Dogwoodnc <Dogwoo...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]
 (it
> > will restart after level 1 and after level 2 as well as after level 3 (=
the
> > tale level).
>
> > The built-in List and List 2 paragraph styles and their "list continue"
> > counterparts may suit for the =A0list paragraph styles or you could def=
ine your
> > own styles. =A0
>
> > >c) Skip numbering the second paragraph of a step
> > Style not linked to a list number level do not carry a number (as long =
as
> > they are not based on a numbered style), =A0so the built-in List contin=
ue
> > styles would work here.
>
> > >d) Revise the information in the steps (adding/deleting/rearranging) a=
> > >needs dictate, without adversely impacting the overall numbering, =A0(=
In other
> > >words, if you have a series of steps 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B, =A05 -- if you =
delete
> > >#3, the new steps would be 1, 2, 3, A, B, =A04 -- not 1, 2, 4, A, B, 5=
 or 1, 2,
> > >1, A, B, 2, or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.)
> > Should not be a problem. =A0Many , if not all, of the problems you desc=
ribe
> > below should become a distant memory. =A0 =A0If you are not familiar wi=
th setting
> > up outline/multilevel lists, see =A0
> >http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html=A0
> > while you still have W2003. =A0Your thought to get the to work in W2003=
 is a
> > good one. =A0When you get W2007, either search this site for instructio=
ns on
> > how to create multilevel lists =A0or write back.
>
> > For later, after you've =A0spent some time with W2007( or 10), =A0you c=
an make
> > applying styles easier for users by customizing the quick styles galler=
y for
> > your template. =A0Because your list is so customized, you may want to c=
onsider
> > defining a "List style", which can be shared to other documents.
0
Peter
4/21/2010 12:09:35 PM
Keyboard shortcuts can also be assigned to styles (some have built-in
shortcuts).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

On Apr 20, 5:10 pm, Dogwoodnc <Dogwoo...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > Should not be a problem. Many , if not all, of the problems you describe
> > below should become a distant memory. If you are not familiar with
> > setting
> > up outline/multilevel lists, see
> >http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
> > while you still have W2003. Your thought to get the to work in W2003 is
> > good one. When you get W2007, either search this site for instructions
> > on
> > how to create multilevel lists or write back.
>
> > For later, after you've spent some time with W2007( or 10), you can make
> > applying styles easier for users by customizing the quick styles gallery
> > for
> > your template. Because your list is so customized, you may want to
> > consider
> > defining a "List style", which can be shared to other documents.

Suzanne
4/21/2010 12:21:02 PM
True!  I was referring more to the outline style that was referenced earlier
in the thread.  The only style that seemed to convert properly through the
other software applications was 'Normal'.  And, indeed, we did use the
multilevel list definitions extensively -- they just were not defined to be a
separate "outline" style.

To offer an explanation about the macros for calling specific styles.  We
have quite a large number of customized macros that we use during the course
of working a project, so I've tried to collect them and put them on one
custom tab on the ribbon (as well as on menus accessed via the ribbon) --
along with other frequently used standard editing/formatting commands.  It
just seemed more efficient to also place the specific style choices in macros
that could be presented as small icons on the same custom tab, rather than
requiring the writer to access the Home tab just for that particular
function.  (I was unable to find a "drop-down style list" that I could
include on the custom tab -- except for the Quick Styles Gallery, which takes
way too much real estate for that tab.  If you have any suggestions, though,
I'd love to hear them -- I'm still a relative novice when it comes to Word
2007.)  So it was an effort to provide one stop shopping, so to speak!

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> [...]
> > > they are not based on a numbered style),  so the built-in List continue
> > > styles would work here.

> > > Should not be a problem.  Many , if not all, of the problems you describe
> > > below should become a distant memory.    If you are not familiar with setting
> > > up outline/multilevel lists, see
> > >http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
> > > while you still have W2003.  Your thought to get the to work in W2003 is a
> > > good one.  When you get W2007, either search this site for instructions on
> > > how to create multilevel lists  or write back.
> >
> > > For later, after you've  spent some time with W2007( or 10),  you can make
> > > applying styles easier for users by customizing the quick styles gallery for
> > > your template.  Because your list is so customized, you may want to consider
> > > defining a "List style", which can be shared to other documents.

The dropdown styles list that Peter referred to can be added to the QAT.
Open the dialog to customize the Quick Access Toolbar and select Commands
Not in the Ribbon. Scroll down to Style (when you mouse over it, it will
display the name StyleGalleryClassic). Unfortunately, there is no way to
resize it to show longer style names as was possible in earlier versions of
Word. When dropped, however, it does expand, and it displays style names in
their style (unfortunately, you have no option about that, either).

Another option is the Styles pane, which is opened by clicking the dialog
launcher arrow in the bottom right-hand corner of the Styles group on the
Home tab. It *is* resizable and stays open regardless of which tab is
displayed, even when the Ribbon is minimized. In this pane you do also have
the option to show a simple list or each style name in its style (using the
"Preview" check box).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Dogwoodnc" <Dogwoodnc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > these
>> > styles, made macros to easily call them, and added them to a custom tab
>> > on
>> > the ribbon, which we plan to distribute via a startup template.  So
>> > that's
>> > progress!
>> >
>> > I'm still a bit concerned about revising existing documents (since
>> > there are
>> > SO many of them and some are extremely large), since they still exhibit
>> > the
>> > flaky numbering as described earlier when steps are
>> > added/deleted/rearranged
>> > -- until we are able to reformat them all.  I think reformatting (using
>> > styles) will be the optimal solution -- but it may be a long time
>> > before we
>> > can reformat EVERYthing.
>> >
>> > Any additional suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

0
Suzanne
4/21/2010 1:58:54 PM
Thanks!  Yes, I had already experimented with both a drop-down on the QAT and
the Styles pane.  However, for our users (who are very accustomed to having
their tools presented in a pre-defined location), it seemed expedient to make
the separate macros/icons on the ribbon.  Very few (if any) will likely want
to customize their QAT.

But I DO appreciate the ideas! :)

When writing the other post, I forgot to mention that I had also added a
line of code to the RibbonX that displays the style gallery after clicking an
icon on the ribbon --
     <gallery idMso="QuickStylesGallery" label="Style " />
However, since the gallery shows all available styles (by default) -- and I
don't really want to limit those choices programmatically in case the users
are working on OTHER types of documents -- again, to avoid confusion for the
users, their main choices are also available via individual macros/icons.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> [...]
> > function.  (I was unable to find a "drop-down style list" that I could
> > include on the custom tab -- except for the Quick Styles Gallery, which
> > takes
> > way too much real estate for that tab.  If you have any suggestions,
> > though,
> > I'd love to hear them -- I'm still a relative novice when it comes to Word
> > 2007.)  So it was an effort to provide one stop shopping, so to speak!
> >
> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> >
> >> Note that whenever you create a Word document, you are using Styles --
> >> even if only the "Normal" style, with individual formatting applied on
> >> top.
> >>
> >> It's curious that you've made "macros to easily call" styles -- when
> >> styles are easily applied either from the dropdown style list, or by
> >> opening the Styles & Formatting panel (Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S), which can

In any given template, you can define which styles appear in the Quick
Styles gallery.

--

> [...]
>> > along with other frequently used standard editing/formatting commands.
>> > It
>> > just seemed more efficient to also place the specific style choices in
>> > macros
>> > that could be presented as small icons on the same custom tab, rather
>> > than
>> > requiring the writer to access the Home tab just for that particular
>> > function.  (I was unable to find a "drop-down style list" that I could
>> > include on the custom tab -- except for the Quick Styles Gallery, which
>> > takes
>> > way too much real estate for that tab.  If you have any suggestions,
>> > though,
>> > I'd love to hear them -- I'm still a relative novice when it comes to
>> > Word
>> > 2007.)  So it was an effort to provide one stop shopping, so to speak!

0
Suzanne
4/21/2010 4:49:52 PM
I glad I could help.

If your documents are well and consistently formatted, you could search for
particular formatting and in the replace box specify an appropriate style.
Several such searches could be bound into one macro.   The  first step in
such a macro should be to attach a template with your styles and multilevel
list.  More help  may be available from the programming forum.  Of course,
you'd still have to proof the results against the record copy.

Pam

Dogwoodnc wrote:
>I'm still a bit concerned about revising existing documents (since there are
>SO many of them and some are extremely large), since they still exhibit the
>flaky numbering as described earlier when steps are added/deleted/rearranged
>-- until we are able to reformat them all.  I think reformatting (using
>styles) will be the optimal solution -- but it may be a long time before we
>can reformat EVERYthing.
>
>Any additional suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Pamelia
4/21/2010 9:15:40 PM
This has been working well -- until I tried to make the template "global" by
putting it in the Startup folder.  At that time, not only did my Quick Style
gallery revert to the default styles (and the styles I had deleted from the
Quick Style gallery have reappeared), but also my customized numbering styles
totally disappeared.  They do not appear on the Quick Style Gallery, in the
Styles Pane, or within the Organizer (off the Macro box).

I KNOW the custom styles are still on the template itself -- since when I
move the template to a non-startup file and open it directly, they're easily
accessible.  But not so when they're in the startup file.

Any advice about how to retrieve and use them from a global template would
be greatly appreciated!   And/or any suggestions of other ways to share these
styles among all documents and all users, short of making everyone use the
same Normal template.

Thanks in advance!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Not in the Ribbon. Scroll down to Style (when you mouse over it, it will
> >> display the name StyleGalleryClassic). Unfortunately, there is no way to
> >> resize it to show longer style names as was possible in earlier versions
> >> of
> >> Word. When dropped, however, it does expand, and it displays style names
> >> in
> >> their style (unfortunately, you have no option about that, either).
> >>
> >> Another option is the Styles pane, which is opened by clicking the dialog
> >> launcher arrow in the bottom right-hand corner of the Styles group on the
> >> Home tab. It *is* resizable and stays open regardless of which tab is
> >> displayed, even when the Ribbon is minimized. In this pane you do also
> >> have
> >> the option to show a simple list or each style name in its style (using

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Rounding numbers to the nearest thousand
Simple question (i hope) Is there a simple way i can round numbers to the nearest thousand by using the format cells command. For example i would like to display 1,234.56 as 12 I don't want to be diving by 1000 and rounding to zero decimal places because i still want the whole number displayed in the formula bar when selecting it. i use excel 2003 thanx Mark Format the number as #,##0,;-#,##0, or similar. Not the comma at the end - this tells Excel to display as thousands (two commas here will display as millions). Note that 1,234.56 will display as 1 (thousand) not 12. "...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

how do I set up a number to arabic number
I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change format number in English to arabic number. Hi Ashraf, Assuming the number in in a field, simple: add an 'Arabic picture switch to the filed containing the number. For example, with page numbering- {PAGE \* Arabic } -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Ashraf" <Ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3080821A-C676-4FA2-88C4-D3CDCECF0193@microsoft.com... >I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change > format number in English...

page numbering #15
Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? Yes, View, Master page or Background, depending on the version. The numbering will have a # symbol. Put the text either before the # or after. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0708E7D-BAAB-4BD4-A940-3E7BF2C8A938@microsoft.com... > Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Yes,...

Mix-up numbers
I have a list of numbers on a spread sheet. 1-100. I would like to randomly mix them up. Is there a function to do this? 1 2 3 4 .. .. .. 100 Like 33 91 4 16 .. .. .. 1 Thanks! Jeff Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:34:01 -0800 from Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com>: > I have a list of numbers on a spread sheet. 1-100. I would like to randomly > mix them up. Is there a function to do this? I don't believe there's a one-step way, but here's what I would do. I assume your numbers are in A1:A100; make appropriate adjustments for their actual location. 1. In C1, type =RAND...

Add a decimal to each number on a list of whole numbers
I have a long list (column) of whole numbers (dollar amounts) and would like to add a decimal point on each number. example change the numbers from 2927568021 to 29275680.21. I have tried changing the format, but it keeps adding 2 zeros on the end. thanks You mean that you want to divide every number in that column by 100 (as in your example)? If so, then enter 100 into a blank cell somewhere, select that cell and click <copy>. Then select all the cells in the column of interest and Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) | Divide (check) | OK then <Esc>. Then you can delete t...

Page Numbers in a Newsletter
Hi, I am new to Publisher and my first project was to create a newsletter. I chose one of the existing publication designs, but now I can't modify it as I want to. Specifically, the page numbers keep re-justifying themselves. Can anyone help? It's driving me NUTS! Cheers, Jean Delete the existing Text Frames and make new Text Frames and insert Page Numbers. Remember, there is a thing called a HELP file!!! - USE IT -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000...

Number of Observations
I have a column (say Column A) with 300 values (basically it is a DDE link with data I update). I also have a cell I would like to use (say B1). In cell B1 I would like to be able to enter a value (say 20) where I will be able to use this value in another cell to "observe" the top 20 of the cell from column A. So, If I put 20 in cell B1, in cell (say C1) I would like to put some formula where it can reference the "how many observation" cell B1, and say sum A1:AXX where xx is the value in cell B1. I know in this form it cannot be done, but was wondering if someone ...

number formatting #5
> Hi. I was woundering how I can add trailing zero's to numbers. I have > a colunm with number lemgths between 1 and 7 digets and need them all > to be 10 diget's long. I have no trouble with adding the zero's as > headers but needt hem as trailers. Thanks. Thanks all for the replys. I was hoping I could do it through the - "Format Cell, number, custom" tools built into Excel but can only put leading zeros and not trailing ones. Thanks again ...

Search cells with many numbers a few numbers?
In Excel, I'd like to search cells which have many numbers in each, they are separated by spaces. I'd like to look in the cells for a few numbers. The logic statements do not seem to work. How do I do this? ...