Numbering, and then sorting by number

I have no idea why I can't figure this out.

I have a bunch of text.  I can very easily highlight the whole bunch and
then number it as a list (just the Numbering button in the paragraph list).
No problem, now it's a list of 100 numbered paragraphs.  The formatting is a
bit screwy (it's a bibliography), but there is clearly a 1, 2, 3, etc.

How do I THEN sort that list BY NUMBER?  I just want to reverse the list by
the number.

Say I have 100 paragraphs.  I want to ultimately reverse the order of those
paragraphs (so, the 100th paragraph being the first, 99th the second, and so
on).  How can I do that?  I am a reasonably smart guy, and this seems like it
should be a very easy thing to do (sort, by paragraph, by number, right?),
but good lord it ain't workin' for me.

Are you using automatic numbering? If so, then that's the problem. Word's
Sort feature sorts by actual text/numbers--automatic numbers aren't really
there. They're formatting that you apply. So, if you tell Word to sort a
numbered list, it will ignore the numbers and sort by the first text it sees
after the automatic numbering.

To do what you want, you'd need to convert the numbers into real numbers.
One way to do this would be to copy the list to the clipboard, then use
Paste Special to paste the list as unformatted text. This will convert the
numbers into actual numbers, and you should now be able to reverse sort by
number.

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"paint771" <paint771@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have no idea why I can't figure this out.
>
> I have a bunch of text.  I can very easily highlight the whole bunch and
> then number it as a list (just the Numbering button in the paragraph
> list).
> No problem, now it's a list of 100 numbered paragraphs.  The formatting is
> bit screwy (it's a bibliography), but there is clearly a 1, 2, 3, etc.
>
> How do I THEN sort that list BY NUMBER?  I just want to reverse the list
> by
> the number.
>
> Say I have 100 paragraphs.  I want to ultimately reverse the order of
> those
> paragraphs (so, the 100th paragraph being the first, 99th the second, and
> so
> on).  How can I do that?  I am a reasonably smart guy, and this seems like
> it
> should be a very easy thing to do (sort, by paragraph, by number, right?),
> but good lord it ain't workin' for me.

0
Herb
1/13/2010 9:54:25 PM
Okay, so I'm not crazy then.  You can't sort by automatic numbering is what
you're saying.  That sucks.

I understand the paste special thing, but then I lose all the formatting of
the text, which if I wanted to go that route I'd have just pasted it into
excel, sorted, and then back again to Word.  So either I have to manually
resort all 100 paragraphs, or I have to manually reformat the text in all of
them.  That about the size of it?

Brad

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

> Are you using automatic numbering? If so, then that's the problem. Word's
> Sort feature sorts by actual text/numbers--automatic numbers aren't really
> there. They're formatting that you apply. So, if you tell Word to sort a
> numbered list, it will ignore the numbers and sort by the first text it sees
> after the automatic numbering.
>
> To do what you want, you'd need to convert the numbers into real numbers.
> One way to do this would be to copy the list to the clipboard, then use
> Paste Special to paste the list as unformatted text. This will convert the
> numbers into actual numbers, and you should now be able to reverse sort by
> number.
>
> Herb Tyson MS MVP
> Author of the Word 2007 Bible
> Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
> Web: http://www.herbtyson.com
>

> "paint771" <paint771@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have no idea why I can't figure this out.
> >
> > I have a bunch of text.  I can very easily highlight the whole bunch and
> > then number it as a list (just the Numbering button in the paragraph
> > list).
> > No problem, now it's a list of 100 numbered paragraphs.  The formatting is
> > bit screwy (it's a bibliography), but there is clearly a 1, 2, 3, etc.
> >
> > How do I THEN sort that list BY NUMBER?  I just want to reverse the list
> > by
> > the number.
> >
> > Say I have 100 paragraphs.  I want to ultimately reverse the order of
> > those
> > paragraphs (so, the 100th paragraph being the first, 99th the second, and
> > so
> > on).  How can I do that?  I am a reasonably smart guy, and this seems like
> > it
> > should be a very easy thing to do (sort, by paragraph, by number, right?),
> > but good lord it ain't workin' for me.
>
> .

Convert the list into a table, add a second column, fill it with
consecutive numbers, reverse-sort on that column, delete that column,
and convert the table to text.

On Jan 14, 11:01=A0am, paint771 <paint...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]
ting is
> > > bit screwy (it's a bibliography), but there is clearly a 1, 2, 3, etc=
..

> > > How do I THEN sort that list BY NUMBER? =A0I just want to reverse the=
 list
> > > by
> > > the number.
>
> > > Say I have 100 paragraphs. =A0I want to ultimately reverse the order =
of
> > > those
> > > paragraphs (so, the 100th paragraph being the first, 99th the second,=
 and
> > > so
> > > on). =A0How can I do that? =A0I am a reasonably smart guy, and this s=
eems like
> > > it
> > > should be a very easy thing to do (sort, by paragraph, by number, rig=
Peter

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Defining area codes per state to sort
I'm not sure if "general" is the right category for this question. New to this forum - first thread. I have a spreadsheet that identifies phone calls made from our company each month (approximately 7000 line items). I am able to spread the phone number out to isolate the area code into one column. My task is to identify what state each area code represents and then total the number of calls per state and also the minutes to each state. My question is this: I have the area code isolated - and I also have an excel grid with the current area codes with state designations (appr...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...

Sort cells with same text descending
hi, Need some help with a spreadsheet which has the following setup aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 ddd 564 ddd 123 Now what i need to do is have the highest similar text cells descending. i.e ddd 123 ddd 564 aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 I would like the individual rows to be shifted in this order also, not just column A and B. Any guidance in the right direction would help! Thanks, T-DHM =) -- T-DHM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ T-DHM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30136 Vi...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Rounding numbers to the nearest thousand
Simple question (i hope) Is there a simple way i can round numbers to the nearest thousand by using the format cells command. For example i would like to display 1,234.56 as 12 I don't want to be diving by 1000 and rounding to zero decimal places because i still want the whole number displayed in the formula bar when selecting it. i use excel 2003 thanx Mark Format the number as #,##0,;-#,##0, or similar. Not the comma at the end - this tells Excel to display as thousands (two commas here will display as millions). Note that 1,234.56 will display as 1 (thousand) not 12. "...

After sorting & renumbering Project tasks they revert to old IDs
After sorting and permanently renumbering Project tasks they initially look fine, but when I save it and open the file again it has reverted to old ID numbers. I cannot duplicate here on Project Professional 2003, 2007, 2010. Please verify you have all the latest service packs installed, etc. If this does not correct the issue, please post back and state what version you are running including service packs. -- If this post was helpful, please consider rating it. Jim Aksel, MVP Check out my blog for more information: http://www.msprojectblog.com "Pete in Dub...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

how do I set up a number to arabic number
I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change format number in English to arabic number. Hi Ashraf, Assuming the number in in a field, simple: add an 'Arabic picture switch to the filed containing the number. For example, with page numbering- {PAGE \* Arabic } -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Ashraf" <Ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3080821A-C676-4FA2-88C4-D3CDCECF0193@microsoft.com... >I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change > format number in English...

help on sorting
Hello, I will need to enter numbers 100 to 5000 + into columns in random order, is there a way to sort them into correct numerical order at any time .. I have been told by several Excel " experts " that it cannot be done, I don't believe this to be true.If this is not enough info, please ask . Thanks, Ray > Hello, I will need to enter numbers 100 to 5000 + into columns in > random order, is there a way to sort them into correct numerical > order at any time . I have been told by several Excel " experts " that > it cannot be done, I don't believe th...

page numbering #15
Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? Yes, View, Master page or Background, depending on the version. The numbering will have a # symbol. Put the text either before the # or after. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0708E7D-BAAB-4BD4-A940-3E7BF2C8A938@microsoft.com... > Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Yes,...

Mix-up numbers
I have a list of numbers on a spread sheet. 1-100. I would like to randomly mix them up. Is there a function to do this? 1 2 3 4 .. .. .. 100 Like 33 91 4 16 .. .. .. 1 Thanks! Jeff Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:34:01 -0800 from Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com>: > I have a list of numbers on a spread sheet. 1-100. I would like to randomly > mix them up. Is there a function to do this? I don't believe there's a one-step way, but here's what I would do. I assume your numbers are in A1:A100; make appropriate adjustments for their actual location. 1. In C1, type =RAND...

Add a decimal to each number on a list of whole numbers
I have a long list (column) of whole numbers (dollar amounts) and would like to add a decimal point on each number. example change the numbers from 2927568021 to 29275680.21. I have tried changing the format, but it keeps adding 2 zeros on the end. thanks You mean that you want to divide every number in that column by 100 (as in your example)? If so, then enter 100 into a blank cell somewhere, select that cell and click <copy>. Then select all the cells in the column of interest and Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) | Divide (check) | OK then <Esc>. Then you can delete t...