MSOffice 2003 .DOC ----->Works9 Word Processor .WPS

Hi, I am a HOME (not a corporate or business) user who has been using
MSOffice 2003 and have found the it to  be "overkill" (it has too many
functions than I don't need) and recently purchased a new W7 system that had
Works 9 installed so I thought that I would use the "crippled" Word processor
in Works 9 and have encountered a small annoyance.  I copied the .DOC files
to a new folder and when I opened Works9, I clicked on the folder and tried
to open the DOC file but the default extension for  Works is .WPS NOT .DOC
(which is understandable). So in order to open the Office/.Doc file, I need
to select .DOC from the pulldown menu In Works Word Processor, and if I make
a change to the document, I need to save it as a WPS file.
So I have a few questions,  first is their an easy way to convert ALL the
..DOC files to .WPS so that they are "ready to use" when I open Works?   I
realize that I can do this one at a time but I have several hundred .DOC
files and am looking for a quicker way to convert these files. The second
question is, I would appreciate if you could please advise me of some of the
drawbacks if I covert the .DOC files to .WPS and use  the Works9 Word
processor program for my test needs?
Thank you for your help.
Bob

Before you get too carried away, you might check and see whether Works can
save in .doc format, which you would find more universally accepted if you
ever need to share documents with anyone else.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am a HOME (not a corporate or business) user who has been using
> MSOffice 2003 and have found the it to  be "overkill" (it has too many
> functions than I don't need) and recently purchased a new W7 system that
> had
> Works 9 installed so I thought that I would use the "crippled" Word
> processor
> in Works 9 and have encountered a small annoyance.  I copied the .DOC
> files
> to a new folder and when I opened Works9, I clicked on the folder and
> tried
> to open the DOC file but the default extension for  Works is .WPS NOT .DOC
> (which is understandable). So in order to open the Office/.Doc file, I
> need
> to select .DOC from the pulldown menu In Works Word Processor, and if I
> make
> a change to the document, I need to save it as a WPS file.
> So I have a few questions,  first is their an easy way to convert ALL the
> .DOC files to .WPS so that they are "ready to use" when I open Works?   I
> realize that I can do this one at a time but I have several hundred .DOC
> files and am looking for a quicker way to convert these files. The second
> question is, I would appreciate if you could please advise me of some of
> the
> drawbacks if I covert the .DOC files to .WPS and use  the Works9 Word
> processor program for my test needs?
> Thank you for your help.
> Bob

0
Suzanne
12/12/2009 10:31:13 PM
Works 9 will certainly both open and save as DOC (even DOCX) if Word is
installed on the system, but whether it will do so if not, I hesitate to
guess.

Works 9 will not run macros so there is no simple batch process to convert
Word to Works available from Works. It is however relatively simple to do so
from Word, but I wonder at the necessity?

You should be able to associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be
opened directly in Works Word Processor.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Before you get too carried away, you might check and see whether Works can
> save in .doc format, which you would find more universally accepted if you
> ever need to share documents with anyone else.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I am a HOME (not a corporate or business) user who has been using
>> MSOffice 2003 and have found the it to  be "overkill" (it has too many
>> functions than I don't need) and recently purchased a new W7 system that
>> had
>> Works 9 installed so I thought that I would use the "crippled" Word
>> processor
>> in Works 9 and have encountered a small annoyance.  I copied the .DOC
>> files
>> to a new folder and when I opened Works9, I clicked on the folder and
>> tried
>> to open the DOC file but the default extension for  Works is .WPS NOT
>> .DOC
>> (which is understandable). So in order to open the Office/.Doc file, I
>> need
>> to select .DOC from the pulldown menu In Works Word Processor, and if I
>> make
>> a change to the document, I need to save it as a WPS file.
>> So I have a few questions,  first is their an easy way to convert ALL the
>> .DOC files to .WPS so that they are "ready to use" when I open Works?   I
>> realize that I can do this one at a time but I have several hundred .DOC
>> files and am looking for a quicker way to convert these files. The second
>> question is, I would appreciate if you could please advise me of some of
>> the
>> drawbacks if I covert the .DOC files to .WPS and use  the Works9 Word
>> processor program for my test needs?
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Bob

0
Graham
12/13/2009 6:41:56 AM
Thank you for your help guys, Graham you wrote "You should be able to
associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be opened directly in Works
Word", how would I do this?
Thanks,
Bob

> Works 9 will certainly both open and save as DOC (even DOCX) if Word is
> installed on the system, but whether it will do so if not, I hesitate to
> guess.
>
> Works 9 will not run macros so there is no simple batch process to convert
> Word to Works available from Works. It is however relatively simple to do so
> from Word, but I wonder at the necessity?
>
> You should be able to associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be
> opened directly in Works Word Processor.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Before you get too carried away, you might check and see whether Works can
> > save in .doc format, which you would find more universally accepted if you
> > ever need to share documents with anyone else.
> >
> > --
> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > Words into Type
> > Fairhope, Alabama USA
> > http://word.mvps.org
> >
> > "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi, I am a HOME (not a corporate or business) user who has been using
> >> MSOffice 2003 and have found the it to  be "overkill" (it has too many
> >> functions than I don't need) and recently purchased a new W7 system that
> >> had
> >> Works 9 installed so I thought that I would use the "crippled" Word
> >> processor
> >> in Works 9 and have encountered a small annoyance.  I copied the .DOC
> >> files
> >> to a new folder and when I opened Works9, I clicked on the folder and
> >> tried
> >> to open the DOC file but the default extension for  Works is .WPS NOT
> >> .DOC
> >> (which is understandable). So in order to open the Office/.Doc file, I
> >> need
> >> to select .DOC from the pulldown menu In Works Word Processor, and if I
> >> make
> >> a change to the document, I need to save it as a WPS file.
> >> So I have a few questions,  first is their an easy way to convert ALL the
> >> .DOC files to .WPS so that they are "ready to use" when I open Works?   I
> >> realize that I can do this one at a time but I have several hundred .DOC
> >> files and am looking for a quicker way to convert these files. The second
> >> question is, I would appreciate if you could please advise me of some of
> >> the
> >> drawbacks if I covert the .DOC files to .WPS and use  the Works9 Word
> >> processor program for my test needs?
> >> Thank you for your help.
> >> Bob
> >>

> .

Right-click on a .doc file in Computer and select Open With (assuming the
context menu in Windows 7 hasn't changed drastically). Select the Works word
processor as the program to open .doc files and check the box that says
"Always open this type of file with this program" (or words to that effect).

--

> Thank you for your help guys, Graham you wrote "You should be able to
> associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be opened directly in
> Works
> Word", how would I do this?
> Thanks,
> Bob
>

>> Works 9 will certainly both open and save as DOC (even DOCX) if Word is
>> installed on the system, but whether it will do so if not, I hesitate to
>> guess.
>>
>> Works 9 will not run macros so there is no simple batch process to
>> convert
>> Word to Works available from Works. It is however relatively simple to do
>> so
>> from Word, but I wonder at the necessity?
>>
>> You should be able to associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be
>> opened directly in Works Word Processor.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Before you get too carried away, you might check and see whether Works
>> > can
>> > save in .doc format, which you would find more universally accepted if
>> > you
>> > ever need to share documents with anyone else.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> > Words into Type
>> > Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> > http://word.mvps.org
>> >
>> > "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> .

0
Suzanne
12/13/2009 3:06:39 PM
Thank you for your suggestion Suzanne,  I think that my best option (assuming
that their IS such an option) would be to have ALL FILES as the Default for
opening the Works Word Processor so that the "old" .doc and the "new" .wps
files would be visible.  Is their a way to change the default on Works to be
ALL FILES instead of (the current option) .wps?
Thanks,
Bob

> Right-click on a .doc file in Computer and select Open With (assuming the
> context menu in Windows 7 hasn't changed drastically). Select the Works word
> processor as the program to open .doc files and check the box that says
> "Always open this type of file with this program" (or words to that effect).
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your help guys, Graham you wrote "You should be able to
> > associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be opened directly in
> > Works
> > Word", how would I do this?
> > Thanks,
> > Bob
> >

> >> Works 9 will certainly both open and save as DOC (even DOCX) if Word is
> >> installed on the system, but whether it will do so if not, I hesitate to
> >> guess.
> >>
> >> Works 9 will not run macros so there is no simple batch process to
> >> convert
> >> Word to Works available from Works. It is however relatively simple to do
> >> so
> >> from Word, but I wonder at the necessity?
> >>
> >> You should be able to associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be
> >> opened directly in Works Word Processor.
> >>
> >> --
> >> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
> >>
> >> My web site www.gmayor.com
> >> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> >> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >>

> >> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

I don't know about Works, but Word retains whatever setting you are using
when you close it.

--

> Thank you for your suggestion Suzanne,  I think that my best option
> (assuming
> that their IS such an option) would be to have ALL FILES as the Default
> for
> opening the Works Word Processor so that the "old" .doc and the "new" .wps
> files would be visible.  Is their a way to change the default on Works to
> be
> ALL FILES instead of (the current option) .wps?
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
>> Right-click on a .doc file in Computer and select Open With (assuming the
>> context menu in Windows 7 hasn't changed drastically). Select the Works
>> word
>> processor as the program to open .doc files and check the box that says
>> "Always open this type of file with this program" (or words to that
>> effect).
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your help guys, Graham you wrote "You should be able to
>> > associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be opened directly in
>> > Works
>> > Word", how would I do this?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bob

>> .

0
Suzanne

2 functions in 2003 now lost in 2006
there are a couple of things i used to have in 2003 that don't show up in 2006 - when i balance an acct, i had the balancing spearated out into deposits and withdrawals and then the complete balance statement difference. now it just says "difference between statement and your acct".... not very helpful. can i bring back the detailed table? - how do i get my balance forecast chart at the bottom right of my account register? it was very handy and would show my balance for that acct in the next 30, 60 or 90 days any ideas? I don't know if it matters if you're ...

Making words in a list a value!!
I am trying to create a list that will generate a value in another column once that word or phrase is chosen. Is this possible and how. Exp. In the drop down list I would chose Product, then in the price column the price automatically appears. brco1, Much better than I could ever explain the process. Here's exactly wha you need. http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html HT -- Case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=454 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

Attachments in 2003
How do I allow Exchange 2003 to allow sending of attachments in Exchange 2003. I have a user whose attachments are blocked. I thought Exchange allowed them by default. Thanks what kind of attachments? there are certain file types that Outlook blocks access to... "John McCoy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3f5101c4ac73$46a76ad0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do I allow Exchange 2003 to allow sending of > attachments in Exchange 2003. I have a user whose > attachments are blocked. > > I thought Exchange allowed them by default. > ...

Migrating .pst's to Outlook 2003
I had Outlook 2002 and two separate .pst files for Hotmail and an IMAP server I connected to. I am having a terrible time getting Outlook to use the existing .pst's on my server and not creating the bloody files on the c:\ drive. Can anyone help me force this pig to use the existing files inaccordance with their accounts and not create new ones on the computer itself? Thank you in advanced. What happens if you use File->Open->Outlook Data Files? Oink. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest ...

Problem with changeing font on visio 2003 in polish version of it.
Hello I'm using Visio 2003 (polish version) and windows XP (also polish version). I don't know what happend but since last few days I had a problem with visio. When I'm trying to change font in box on the diagram I get error message saying "Number is not valid" and change don't change. any kind of help will be pleased Gorgo ...

Data entry work using msoffice
Is anybody have an idea to get some data entry work in Ms office using word or excel, Ms access etc which can work from home. Please it would be very helpful if you can give a good and reliable website for this With thanks Polachan ...

Outlook 2003 - Data is SUSPECT error when opening
I have a client who got an error when opening Outlook 2003 telling him his data is SUSPECT and to contact the administrator if the problem persists. His only options were Retry, Cancel, or Help. Retry produced the same errror. Help didn't refer to his exact problem, and the similar problems (corrupt data, can't find file) did not help. Cancel caused Outlook to continue loading & automatically create a new blank data file. Now all of his original data appears to be gone. I did a search for ..pst files and could not find the correct one. I found one that I created in early...

Copy data from Word macro to excel
I am working on a combined Word and Excel sheet (Both 2000 version) What I am trying to do is capture information in Word in an Userform The information that is entered in the form is then used to fill out word document that can be send to a customer. However this information also needs to be entered into an excel sheet currently that is done manually. But I would like to automate that wit a macro. The data that is being captured is in the following form: -If bolOKButtonPressed Then WordBasic.SetDocumentProperty "ProjectTitle", 0 UserForm1.ProjectTitle.Value, 2 WordBasic.SetD...

Access 2003 Crashes and corrupt ADP projects
Hi, we have a big big problem. We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules) Recently the project has become unstable. Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program crashes or prompt with Memory errors. Project corrupted? We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some object is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and recreated succesfully. Any help on this i...

VC++.Net 2003
I've seen few months ago that it is possible to buy (full version of) VC++.Net 2003 only, and not to have to buy whole Visual Studio.Net 2003. If I remember good, the price was $99. Have someone bougth this product? Is it limited functionality edition? What are the differences, comparing one from VS.Net 2003? Thank you. "Jan Plastenjak" <none@ms.com> skrev i meddelandet news:uxjaz3SIEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > I've seen few months ago that it is possible to buy (full version of) > VC++.Net 2003 only, and not to have to buy whole Visual St...

Exchange 2003 #23
Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, please tell me if its not. I have recently setup an exchange 2003 server, I setup all the users and mailing groups and they all showed up fine in outlook. I have added more user and mailing groups since setting the server up but they are not showing in outlooks address book. Any ideas why this is? Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers Pete Thompson Pete- How long ago did you add them? It takes a while for the address book to rebuild. -- -- Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us Http://www.briandesmond.com "Pet...

Outlook 2003 & BCC
I sent an email to a bunch of people and I BCC'd them all, I copied myself as well. Now, I'd like to determine whom I sent the email to. How can I see who I BCC'd? The copy in the Sent folder does not contain the information. Thanks Have you opened the email in the Sent Item folder "eblaster" <eblaster@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23Gmp4ovnEHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I sent an email to a bunch of people and I BCC'd them all, I copied myself > as well. Now, I'd like to determine whom I sent the email to. How can I > see who I ...

Exchange 2003 on WIndows 2003
I installed SP1 and now my exchange server page file is huge. Has anyone had this problem. I did the When you are running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 with more than 1 GB of RAM, it is recommended that you set the SystemPages registry key to zero. This recommendation contrasts with the recommendation for Windows 2000 Server, which is to set SystemPages to a value between 24000 and 31000. The recommended memory settings for Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 with more than 1 GB of RAM are as follows: a.. If you host mailboxes or public folders on a server with more ...

Problems with toolbar in outlook when using word as editor
Hello everyone, I have problems creating toolbar in mail inspector. Everything works fine when I don't use Word as mail editor; the toolbar is visible in all inspectors, buttons are connected... When I use Word, everything is fine with the first inspector, but when I open the second one (keeping the 1st open) I don't have my toolbar. I can click View->Toolbars and select my toolbar, but it appeared that the buttons are not connected. More, I have noticed that my toolbar is available in Word itself. Morover, if I have Word open and then click in Outlook on a "New" bu...

Outlook 2003 Hanging #2
I have this silly problem with Outlook 2003 SP2 hanging. I'll be chugging along, opening emails, and all the sudden it will slow down to nothing and then hang. I've installed all the latest updates for Office. Event Viewer is showing nothing useful - just HungApp. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? ...

Doc Id
I get below error message, even though my header and line items both have same Doc Id. Can anybody tell me the relation between the doc ids for header and line item tables. "Sql procedure error codes returned:\r\nError Number = 3441 Stored Procedure taSopLineIvcInsert Error Description = DOCID does not exist for document type\r\nNode Identifier Parameters: taSopLineIvcInsert \r\nSOPNUMBE = INV2001\r\nSOPTYPE = 3\r\nRelated Error Code Parameters for Node : taSopLineIvcInsert \r\nDOCID = STDINV1\r\nSOPTYPE = 3\r\n\...

How do I expand Y-axis title so it shows all the words?
the title says it all Version: Office 2003, Student Edition ...

Problem with character set in Excel 2003 ?!
Firstly, I'm sorry if my english is not on appropriate level. I am a new user in Excel and I'm competent only in graphical Exce interface. I have a serious problem with my work with Excel 2003. I' opening *.wk1 files (Lotus 1,2,3) without problems. This filetype is i the list of Excel filetypes, so the window "Text import wizard" (whic appear after opening an unknown file for Excel, like *.txt file fo example) does not appear. These *.wk1 files were created in MS-DOS i the past and were written on cyrillic alphabet, so they have differen character set from the default i...

I have lost my adobe pdf convert tools in ms word, help would be g
Please post your message in an Adobe newsgroup. "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68ED6005-05B8-4A46-906A-1BC081574316@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I organize data from excel 2003 database into a word file?
I am creating a neighborhood directory. I have my information sorted in alphabetical order and my column headings include...name, address, phone, etc. I would like to move the info into a word file and have the info go into pre-determined slots based on the column headings. Can someone tell me how to get started? Thanks!! You can probably make do with some sort of mailmerge to Word. For more help on Word mail merge using Excel or Access as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.m...

OWA 2003 absolute URLs
Hello, I'm encountering a problem when accessing OWA2K3 from the internet and this seems related to the URLs that OWA/IIS6 is sending toward the client. my IIS/OWA is located at http://192.168.0.2/exchange behing a firewall that proxies all HTTP traffic. This proxy normally rewrite the basename of URL. Unfortunately, the browser seems to receive absolut paths (http://192.168.0.2)which obviously does not work from the internet. How can I work around this problem ? Sincerely mtahot@gmail.com wrote: >I'm encountering a problem when accessing OWA2K3 >from the internet and th...

Outlook 2003 #123
the program hangs when trying to move emails from hotmail to personal folder and I have to keep on pressing send/receive even though the emails are showing. Is there a setting I'm missing on this? I don't mine down loading entire emails in order to avoid this hanging problem On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:45:07 -0800, "Marc Renaud" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >the program hangs when trying to move emails from hotmail >to personal folder and I have to keep on pressing >send/receive even though the emails are showing. Is >there a setting ...

English MSOffice 2002 Pro and German MSOffice 97 ?
I had installed some weeks ago MSOffice2002 Pro and it and all associated programs showed up in the Start, All Programs list. Now I have installed an old copy of MSOffice 97 in German with its associated programs and it replaced in the Start, All Programs the MS Office 2002 version. I can still get to them via My Computer, Explore and then creating a shortcut of the English 2002 version on the desktop. My question is: How can I see both versions under Start, All Programs without having to re-install the MSOffice2002 Pro version? I run all programs under WinXP. Karl wrote: > I had i...

2000
Hi, I have Excel 2003 on my computer, can i also install excel 2000? thanks, Khalil Yes. The one installed later will be the default, so if you want 2003 as the default, uninstall it first, install 2000, install 2003, and you are done. Just make sure you state the directories for them. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Khalil Handal" <khhandal@pal-egypt-jhah.org> wrote in message news:%23TUq4c4EFHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have Excel 2003 on my computer, can i also install excel 2000? > > thanks, > Khalil...

Update Automatic Links Not Working in 2003
When opening a file and being asked "Update Automatic Links?", I respond yes but the links don't update. If I go into Edit, Links and update manually, then it works. The original file was created in Excel 97 or 2000; the feature does not work on users who have 2003; the feature does work on users who have 97 or 2000????? I've seen this, too, and found that I have to press F9 to recalculate the spreadsheet. Thanks for the tip but F9 did not do anything. "Dave O" wrote: > I've seen this, too, and found that I have to press F9 to recalculate > the sp...