MS Word 2002 - Tool bar drop-down not showing up

I have MS office 2002 programs on my laptop (Windows Vista) and for some
reason, whenever I go to click something on the menu bar - for instance File,
Edit, or View - the drop-down won't show up. All I get is a vague outline of
the right-hand side of the drop down. Same with text color, font style, etc.

I can still use it, sort of; if I know that the Save As option is n number
of spaces down when I click File, I can use the down-arrow key to move that
many spaces. The thing is, I don't have all that memorized, and I really want
to fix this. It's on all the Windows programs on my laptop.

The same thing also happens when I right-click anywhere on a document, and
for the Recent Items option on the Start menu.

I've tried restarting and scanning multiple times, and I'm not sure what
else to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"xxarabesquexx" <xxarabesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have MS office 2002 programs on my laptop (Windows Vista) and for some
> reason, whenever I go to click something on the menu bar - for instance
> File,
> Edit, or View - the drop-down won't show up. All I get is a vague outline
> of
> the right-hand side of the drop down. Same with text color, font style,
> etc.
>
> I can still use it, sort of; if I know that the Save As option is n number
> of spaces down when I click File, I can use the down-arrow key to move
> that
> many spaces. The thing is, I don't have all that memorized, and I really
> want
> to fix this. It's on all the Windows programs on my laptop.
>
> The same thing also happens when I right-click anywhere on a document, and
> for the Recent Items option on the Start menu.
>
> I've tried restarting and scanning multiple times, and I'm not sure what
> else to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

0
Suzanne
1/6/2010 2:25:17 AM
Thanks for the link, Suzanne.

I followed the instructions regarding the registry carefully, but
unfortunately nothing changed; the drop-down menu issues persists. I'll have
another go at it tomorrow.

In the meantime, do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "xxarabesquexx" <xxarabesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have MS office 2002 programs on my laptop (Windows Vista) and for some
> > reason, whenever I go to click something on the menu bar - for instance
> > File,
> > Edit, or View - the drop-down won't show up. All I get is a vague outline
> > of
> > the right-hand side of the drop down. Same with text color, font style,
> > etc.
> >
> > I can still use it, sort of; if I know that the Save As option is n number
> > of spaces down when I click File, I can use the down-arrow key to move
> > that
> > many spaces. The thing is, I don't have all that memorized, and I really
> > want
> > to fix this. It's on all the Windows programs on my laptop.
> >
> > The same thing also happens when I right-click anywhere on a document, and
> > for the Recent Items option on the Start menu.
> >
> > I've tried restarting and scanning multiple times, and I'm not sure what
> > else to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
>
> .

This sounds more like a display driver issue. See if there is a display
driver update available.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Thanks for the link, Suzanne.
>
> I followed the instructions regarding the registry carefully, but
> unfortunately nothing changed; the drop-down menu issues persists. I'll
> have
> another go at it tomorrow.
>
> In the meantime, do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "xxarabesquexx" <xxarabesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have MS office 2002 programs on my laptop (Windows Vista) and for some
>> > reason, whenever I go to click something on the menu bar - for instance
>> > File,
>> > Edit, or View - the drop-down won't show up. All I get is a vague
>> > outline
>> > of
>> > the right-hand side of the drop down. Same with text color, font style,
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > I can still use it, sort of; if I know that the Save As option is n
>> > number
>> > of spaces down when I click File, I can use the down-arrow key to move
>> > that
>> > many spaces. The thing is, I don't have all that memorized, and I
>> > really
>> > want
>> > to fix this. It's on all the Windows programs on my laptop.
>> >
>> > The same thing also happens when I right-click anywhere on a document,
>> > and
>> > for the Recent Items option on the Start menu.
>> >
>> > I've tried restarting and scanning multiple times, and I'm not sure
>> > what
>> > else to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>> .

0
Graham
1/6/2010 7:29:05 AM
Thanks Graham.

I apologize, but where would I check for a display driver update?

If you check Windows Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager >
Display Adapters (location may differ with operating system version). The
name of your display Adapter will be listed. Search at Google for the latest
update from the manufacturer's web site. Download, then from the same
dialog, right click and update driver (or if the driver is supplied as an
executable file, simply run the exe file)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Thanks Graham.
>
> I apologize, but where would I check for a display driver update?

0
Graham
1/6/2010 3:50:03 PM
Thanks, Graham. I've checked a few times, and my device driver is up-to-date
already. Nothing seems to be working.

I wanted to save this as a last resort, but would uninstalling then
reinstalling the Office programs be a good solution? Or, (and I really don't
want to have to do this, as I like the older version) would upgrading to
Office 07 be a solution?

Thank you.
I doubt that re-installing would make any difference.
I still suspect the problem is associated with the display adapter. What
screen resolution do you have configured? (Right click the desktop >
properties > settings) Set color quality to 'Highest'. You may also be able
to reduce the hardware acceleration.
If that doesn't fix it - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 with particular emphasis on the
normal template and the data key in the registry.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Thanks, Graham. I've checked a few times, and my device driver is
> up-to-date
> already. Nothing seems to be working.
>
> I wanted to save this as a last resort, but would uninstalling then
> reinstalling the Office programs be a good solution? Or, (and I really
> don't
> want to have to do this, as I like the older version) would upgrading to
> Office 07 be a solution?
>
> Thank you.

0
Graham

Showing a cell reference in a popup
HI I'm trying to show a selected cell reference in a popup , rather than the cell content. This is my code : Dim lrow As Long With ActiveSheet lrow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row End With Dim r1 As Range, r2 As Range Set r1 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Enter address of first cell", Type:=8) Set r2 = Application.InputBox("Address of first cell chosen " & r1 & vbCr & vbCr & "Enter address of last cell" & vbCr & vbCr & "(Total Rows In Table : " & lrow...

Multi-Page Word Doc Linked to Excel?
How do I get a multi-paged word document to show ALL pages when it is object-linked to an Excel Spreadsheet? I've tried everything I can think of, and it only shows the first page in Excel. Please help, and thanks in advance. -Kalea AFAIK only the first page will display on the wksht. In order to access the entire doc, double-click it so it will open in Word. HTH |:>) "Kalea" wrote: > How do I get a multi-paged word document to show ALL pages when it is > object-linked to an Excel Spreadsheet? I've tried everything I can think of, > and it only shows ...

Show all data -- FMR
I have 4 tables, each shares Date and Service, but after that they vary from budget details, to capacity details, all the way to actual details. Since the budget details go out into the future and the actuals do not, I want to produce a worksheet showing data from all tables from a date and out to a specified date. I know how to do the date request but the only data I get from my query is what is populated in all tables. (linked on Service and Date) Any assistance would be appreciated: EX: Date Forcast Budget Actual 1/1/07 ...

Word document titles
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC When I download and open a Word document from my internet email account, Word documents open with a generic "Document 1" title instead of the actual name of the document as sent to me. If I open a document that was saved to my desktop, it opens with its actual title name. It's a seriously bad idea to open anything from within your email. You short-circuit the system protection and risk getting taken out by Internet Nasties. It sounds as though the file you are downloading is a Template (a file of type...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Using Money 2002
I have been experimenting with money dance and right now don't see that as a viable option to preserve many years of interrelated bank and investment files. I noted the discussion above on reverting to Money 02 since activation not required. I am currently using Money +. Can the Money+ files be used directly in Money 02? If so, any ideas on where to obtain a copy? Thanks, Don No Money has never been backwards compatible. i.e. a file produced by Money yyyy+1 cannot be read in Money yyyy (or earlier). The only way is to export to QIF and reimport but that can be problematical! ...

MS Word file extension changed through e-mail
MS Word .docx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .doc instead. The same is true for MS Excel .xlsx changed to .xls Speak firmly to whoever set up the email system. They have not applied their updates. When the file goes through, it is being recognised as a Microsoft Word file, but the extension is being wrongly changed. Some free-mail web services have a bad habit of doing this. It's not a Word problem, the change is being made either by the sending email program or the receiving email program. Cheers On 24/02/10 2:32 PM, in article 2e082f5...

batch printing word documents
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to batch print word documents? Thanks. First of all, you will need to create a desktop printer, i.e. a shortcut for your printer which sits on your desktop. Look it up in Mac Help, accessible from the Finder's help menu; I can't give you any details since the method to do that varies quite a lot depending on your operating system (though it is surprisingly easy and intuitive in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard). Once you've created a desktop printer, simply drag all the Word documents you intend to print onto the desktop printer icon. On 29/11/2007 2:58, in arti...

Two bars for a Chart with a Secondary Axis
I need to create a bar chart that shows hours worked and documents reviewed by about 6 individuals. Because the hours worked are between 2 and 18 hours and the documents reviewed range from 45 to 1800, I edited the chart to have a secondary y axis. My problem is that as soon as I did it, the 2 bars that show each individual's work (hours and docs) that were adjacent to one another now are combined into a single bar per individual. Is there any way to separate them back into separate bars? Thanks for any help! Greg Greg, You can do so by adding a set of dummy series to the chart. T...

Word 2008 for Mac freezes when opening existing file
When I try to open an existing file, Word 2008 for Mac freezes. I can't use the mouse, so can't use "Force Quit." I have to turn the computer off, losing whatever is open, and start again. I have the exact same problem, fix this bug asap "quat@officeformac.com" wrote: > When I try to open an existing file, Word 2008 for Mac freezes. I can't use the mouse, so can't use "Force Quit." I have to turn the computer off, losing whatever is open, and start again. > Try ALT+APPLE+ESC. I have the same problem, how haven't they caught this maj...

Formating tool bar #2
When writing an email within outlook express the formating tool bar is not accessable. When i go to edit toolbars the option "formating toolbar" is in grey scale and cannot be selected, does anyone know how to fix that? Make sure you compose in HTML format and that the cursor is in the Body Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij...

set regarding show only "name"
Hi, When you set regarding an entity, the text that is pasted to the "regarding:" bar in the outlook shows only the "name" of the entity. The relevant entity instance name is a lookup attribute due to the fact that this is a connecting entity (product for customer) identified by two tables keys (product key and account key). It is not suitable to have the user type a "name" that is repetition of these two keys. How the "set regarding" view can be manipulated to have a lookup attribute displayed on the email ? (the account name is the email source so ...

word 2007 freezes when closing
I've allready uninstalled and re-installed, but problem still there. MS Office Home and Student 2007 Uninstalling rarely fixes any issues with Word. Instead, for general troubleshooting, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Dan Shults" <Dan Shults@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32AEA265-6BFB-484B-9CB4-8F8927F6D51E@microsoft.com... > I've allready uninstalled and re-installed, but problem still there. > > MS Office Home and Student 2007 ...

Word template with macros
When I open my Word template, dialog boxes appear asking me to type in my name, date, status, etc. I figured the file included macros, but the Macro Organizer is empty. How can I permanently prevent these dialog boxes from appearing? I'm using Word 2007. On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:25:02 -0800, triciakla <triciakla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I open my Word template, dialog boxes appear asking me to type in my >name, date, status, etc. I figured the file included macros, but the Macro >Organizer is empty. > >How can I permanently prevent th...

missing Active Window bar
Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this problem. While no a new Excel user, I am new to OF. Recently I downloaded an Excel file with a list of DTV converters. Thi file opened up with a band on the left side (left of the row numbers that had two plus signs on it. Clicking on the top one did the sam thing as Page Down would do, and clicking on the plus sign below it di the same thing as two Page Downs. This has not shown up in any othe Excel file. On the other hand, the Active Title Bar(?)(the one on top with th three little boxes on the right hand corner for minimize and exit) h...

Can I replace word by word in italics?
Is there a search/replace feature in Publisher that allows you to replace a word by the same word in Italics? -- Marv Not in Publisher, but you can in Word using wildcards. Might try copy/paste into Word, do the editing, copy/paste back into Publisher Help here http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "WISEMANOFNARNIA" <COHENMARVIN@LYCOS.COM> wrote in message news:1f5149a6-f337-4db7-9aed-78132e9c9ae8@j12g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Is there a search/replace feature in Publisher that allows you to > replace a word by ...

MS Word does not open
I recently upgraded from OS 10.1.3 to 10.4.8 and also from MS Office 98 to 2004. My Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage open fine but the Word will not open, just gets stuck there on the introductory screen and I have to Force Quit. I already rebooted the computer. What to do? Thx! Eric Did you run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions after the upgrades? Have you installed the lates Office updates (11.3, then 11.3.2) - if not go ahead & do so, then repair permissions again. If you continue to have problems post back with more detail about your Mac as well as your results.. You cou...

sending word doc as message body
sending word 2007 as attachment using quick access toolbar.....this is being received ok if I send to myself, however if i send to a friend, it arrives as an attachment.....how can this be rectified....all ideas welcome. -- jordiman I think you added the wrong command. See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/144 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "jordiman"...

GAL ok, but OAB showing more than it should!
Exchange 2003, SP1 Outlook 2003 Cached mode I have an annoying problem. I've created a new global addresslist for one mail domain only. I have set the correct permissions, and if I start up Outlook in normal mode (not cached) all works fine. BUT: I have also created a new OAB wich only includes the new GAL that I created. I hhave also (for the sake of testing) set up the default OAB with only this new, working GAL. I have set this OAB for the mailbox store. And all seems ok. But my users address books are filled with ALL users on the whole server. That is, the Default Gal is showing...

Merge charts into Word document
I am trying to create a letter for all sellers with their YTD results. I would like each letter to contain a bar chart reflecting their results. I've created the spreadsheets and the charts and everything is working correctly in Excel. Is there a way to include the individual charts in the merge? Last time I had to copy/paste each chart individually. ...

Converting a Word file to excel spreadsheet
I need to convert a word file of some 300 addresses in the following format: Last Name, First name Address City, State Zip Phone E-mail to an Excel spreadsheet in order to do a mail merge for labels. Does anyone know of a straightforward way to do this? ...

Runtime error in Outlook 2002
I posted this earlier with no results yet. Still hoping for help! This is particularly frustrating because I just reformatted and reinstalled ALL applications. I apparently copied the problem when I migrated my files and settings, as this happened prior to the formatting, also. I am getting the following error message each time I open Outlook 2002 after rebooting. "This application has been asked by Runtime to close in an unusual way." I can't find anything in Microsoft's data base that helps. I've reinstalled, and still, nothing helps. Any ideas? Thank y...

Drop down lists #9
Hi all Was wondering if somebody could give me some clues on how to insert a drop down list into a cell (if this can be done) This list will contain the names of a numer of' stocks of which I need to select and display one Many thanks Alex Description here http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Alex McKenzie" <beach-house@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:j5I1f.10278$U51.8098@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Hi all > > Was wondering if somebody could give me some > clues on how to insert a ...

Updated: Excel, PowerPoint Disappeared, Only Word remains
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Yesterday my autoupdater prompted me for a new office update. As it was installing the whole system froze and I shut it down. (I decided to try the update again at a later time.) Today, I went to open an Excel file, only Excel is missing. So is everything else. The only application that now remains in my Microsoft Office folder is Word. I've tried searching the system for them, checked Trash, etc. They are definitely gone. Is there anyway to get them back? Or how do I reinstall them? (Can I download them or do I need t...

Exporting files to MS Word
We have Office XP. We have designed stationery templates (e.g. for Letterheads & Invoices) which we wish to export for use in MS Word. To save as a `doc` file only seems to export the text. How do you export the full file to Word (& Excel) How did you create. I suppose Publisher? Did you try copy and paste? First is to connect objects by clicking opject 1, then 2 and connect only 2 objects. After selecting those 2 copy and paste in to the document. Resave under another name, close and reopen to see if that works. Now you can do the whole document, "Neil Broome" <Ne...