Math Equations

I am trying to place a 4x4 matrix within the brackets.  I select the
brackets, then being within the brackets, I go and select the 4x4 matrix and
the brackets disappear.  Others perform the same steps and the brackets
remain - I am told to figure out what setting I have that is causing the
problem - can you help?

We can help, but we need to know what version of Word you're using.
Also, if you're using Word 2007, which equation editor? (If you don't
understand my question about "which equation editor", just tell us
what steps you go through to begin creating the equation.)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor

On 30-Apr-2010, Marilyn wrote:

> I am trying to place a 4x4 matrix within the brackets.  I select
> the brackets, then being within the brackets, I go and select
> the 4x4 matrix and the brackets disappear.  Others perform
> the same steps and the brackets remain - I am told to figure
> out what setting I have that is causing the problem - can you help?
0
Bob

Incorrect Simple Math
61.48-61.42=0.0599999999999952 Why? This happens frequently in various formulas. 66555.54-66081.35=474.189999999988 What is going on? Surely I'm not the only one that has noticed this? -- mklalli ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mklalli's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12973 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483140 This is simply round-off error. The result of the calculation is not exact and corresponds to the nearest value that can be represented by the IE...

My maths failing?
Given - interest calculated daily, paid monthly. no interest change in this timescale. Quoted rates are Annual rate 5.34% gross = AER 5.45% (less 20% tax from both rates, = NET) THOUGHT it would be a relatively simple matter to forward calculate, in round terms. Calculated the # of days in each interest period, divided the (NET) interest by that, to arrive at the average daily interest earned for each period. Given the capital is only increased by the net interest, I would have expected this average "daily" interest to be a regular small upward progression - NOT SO. Short...

excel maths
I have to create a vehicle service record and I wish to have the service interval of 6000 miles automatically added to the current milage.I wish to do this horizontally eg. a b c d e 1 14 6014 2 6020 12020 a = milage at service e = next service due Is there a way to write a formula for any number entered in the a column that adds 6000 and places it in e.Many thanks to anybody who can assist Here is a simple formula that will do that for you: =IF(AND(A2>1),A2+6000) "Cyclops" ...

Right Triangle math #2
Sure my glidepath angle is 3 degrees. I am 69 inches tall. so i'll hav to set up the instrument @ eye level, say 67". i want to know ho far out from the tangent point i have to set up the equipment in feet +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: ex.bmp |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=2727 +------------------------------------------------------------------- -- RKAMA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RKAMAN's Profile: ...

UPC Equation #3
Thanks! Right, you seemed to come to a similar equation that i was able to has together from a few other sources. But now my big trick is making it a field trick. Insert 11 digit number in field A2 and have the 12 digit appear in B2. Then apply that to a column so every field in column A can have seperate 11 digit number in it and give the 12 digit number in Colum B. Ideas -- PneumaG ----------------------------------------------------------------------- PneumaGT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View this thread: http://www.excelforum...

Is there a way to display a graph using a equation?
I have this equation y = 45.67 + 2.38X and would like excel to show a graph of this, can it be done? Sure. Put your lowest X value into cell A2. In cell A3, use the formula = A2 + 1 Change the 1 to the interval that you are interested in In cell B2, use the formula =45.67 + 2.38*A2 Copy B2 to B3, then copy A3:B3 down the column as far as your need, then use Insert / Chart and choose XY scatter. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "pokdbz" <pokdbz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2258E185-4F7E-4393-A390-4278F4A1DBFF@microsoft.com... >I have this equation y =...

math problem
I have a list of amounts($s). I also have a total. Is there an easy way to figure out which numbers in my list add up to my total. I dod not know how many of my numbers are required to get the total. TIA -- Keven In the cell showing the total, click in the formula bar at the top of the page (to the right of fx). The cells included in the total will be surrounded by colored borders. "Keven" <Keven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2C47733-EE3C-4D54-9FA6-E1B643E288E4@microsoft.com... >I have a list of amounts($s). I also have a total. Is there an easy w...

equation help in excel
I need help making an equation. I have a range of numbers, e.g. 1.009-1.059,1.060-1.020..... I beleive I need an IF THEN equation. If a number falls in the range between e.g. 1.009 and 1.059, I have get the value, e.g. 5, if the number fall between 1.060 and 1.020 I get the value 6. This pattern could continue forever. Can anyone help? Thanks Rather than an IF THEN statement, you should use VLOOKUP. See help for more information, and post back here if you have any questions. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com &quo...

excel math forumla? (simple math problem inside for math people!)
Hey all I got a math problem I am not sure how to put into a formula nor an excel formula here is the nature of the answer I need lets say we have X priced at 100 every 1 it moves I will add 1 position so at 101 it will add a position 102 another position 103 another at the end of the day lets say the item closes at 106 and 106 is also the high for the day the profit should then be 106-100 + 105-100 etc etc yielding a total profit of 6+5+4+3+2+1 = 21 anyone know how to encode this all into excel? hope I made sense wooops if it closed at 106 my profit would in fact be 5 + 4 ...

Right Triangle math
I'm new to excel and would like to make a little calculator for aviatio purposes. I want to help some noobs decide where to set up th instrument along the glidepath on a runway. the instrument must alig w/ the glidepath. in this case A1 is the Glidepath angle (tangent) and B1 is the opposit (height of the instrument) its simple right triangle math . .but i don' know how to do it in excel A = B1 --------- tan A1 Any help would be greatly appreciated -- RKAMA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RKAMAN's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

UPC Equation
I am new to Excel and I am trying to figure out a fairly comple equation. My wife works for a shipping company and they deal with placing UP codes on various items. Now each item has to have a specific code tha cannot be shared by any other item (obviously). But the equation sh has to use in order to do this takes some time. Now the issue here i that she has hundreds of these UPC Codes she needs to figure out ASAP. Essentially she just wants to be able to insert the numbers that ar given to her and have excel figure out the UPC and insert it into th appropriate field. Now i have looked ...

math
XL 2000 I make lids(tops) (covers) using a jig but I would like to figure out just how much metal I am using including scraps take a cylinder and stand it on its end. Now looking down at the Diameter and cutting along the Diameter you will cut the pipe in half leaving ( =PI()*Diameter/2). now placing the Diameter side against the inside of a larger circumference pipe there is going to be a space I need to know how to figure the size of a cover that will cover the half of the pipe and the space that is against the Diameter side So let say I have a piece of pipe 18" and I am making a c...

how can i generate the equation from the graph?
I did plot a graph from the data, ( which is a curve) i want to know that how can i obtain the equation (without adding the trendline), so that i can generate the values that are according to my graph~ It may be worth looking at functions such as LINEST LOGEST TREND and GROWTH. -- David Biddulph "katy" <katy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E90D4544-4A3E-40A7-AEB4-C52B2F0FF722@microsoft.com... >I did plot a graph from the data, ( which is a curve) i want to know that >how > can i obtain the equation (without adding the trendline), so that i can &...

Math library.
I need to use some math equations in my program in order to process my access file. How many math libraris I can get from .net,STL or others? I needs to do some statistics operations. That is why I want to search much more math libraries in MFC. Thanks in advanced. Lots. I found some, years ago, with a google search. Although many were products, there were some free ones. I used some source code for curve-fitting. joe On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:44:09 -0700, "sam" <s9443008@cc.ncu.edu.tw> wrote: > >I need to use some math equations in my program in order >to pr...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Dates and Math
I have two columns listing date and time in the MM/DD/YYYY TT:TT:TT format. I would like to subtract one from the other to get the time it takes to do X. Any ideas? Hi try =A2-A1 and format with the custom format [hh]:mm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jimlib" <j1ml1b@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d5b18b0e.0411191423.1ee756dd@posting.google.com... > I have two columns listing date and time in the MM/DD/YYYY TT:TT:TT > format. I would like to subtract one from the other to get the time it > takes to do X. Any ideas? ...

Math Equations
I am trying to place a 4x4 matrix within the brackets. I select the brackets, then being within the brackets, I go and select the 4x4 matrix and the brackets disappear. Others perform the same steps and the brackets remain - I am told to figure out what setting I have that is causing the problem - can you help? We can help, but we need to know what version of Word you're using. Also, if you're using Word 2007, which equation editor? (If you don't understand my question about "which equation editor", just tell us what steps you go through to begin creating t...

17 % of online users gamble .. you do the math
make some real money with www.gamblingfederation.com/~171636yQA/P/en/ ...

Creating a field that does math formula adding previous fields
I've been tasked with creating an access database to track instructors, Teaching assistants, and reader/graders. Everything went well until I was asked to create a query or report that would add up the values for each Reader/Grader's hours. Currently, each pay period's hours are in a separate column. Is there a way to add those together? I figured out how to do it in a form so that they can have it visually, but now they want to run it as a report, so they can address people who have worked more than their approved hours. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, I need to have ...

Cell Reference Math
I am using Exel to analyze mechanical test date. The data files can be 600 to 6000 points. I need to capture an 50 point average at the 25% and 75% points in the data. Is there a way to auto adjust where the averages are taken based upon the number of data points. I can get the number of data points using the COUNTIF function. Is there a way to add this result as the numeric part of a cell reference and do the appropriate math to select the correct ranges. I hope this explanation makes sense. Could you please explain: <I need to capture an 50 point average at the 25% and 75% points ...

Math type
Hi, I've been trying to use mathtype / equation editor with Microsoft Publisher (I'm using the 2002 version), and have been running into some difficulty -- maybe someone can help me out! When I use the equation editor with Word, the equation appears in-line with the text, and the baseline of the equation is the same as the baseline of the text. When I use the equation editor in Publisher and select for the equation to appear in-line with the text, the equation always appears to have a baseline above that of the text -- it's not perfectly aligned and always seems higher up...

Equation editor accents
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm trying to build an equation that has hats over some of the characters. When I try to add a hat, a checkmark appears on the screen. My fonts are all set to the defaults (Times and Symbol, with Times for Text, Functions and Variables). Any idea what's wrong? thanks, Bill LC Greek, UC Greek, and Symbol should never be set to anything except Symbol font. -- Bob Mathews Director of Training Design Science, Inc. bobm at dessci.com http://www.dessci.com/free.asp?free=news FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluatio...

maths expression antilog10
Excel 2000 has log10 but I can't find antilog10 anywhere - can anyone help? Check this out: http://www.swrp.org/Student_Presentations/Preparation/Poster/Statistics/log_mean.html "andy" wrote: > Excel 2000 has log10 but I can't find antilog10 anywhere - can anyone help? > Check this out: http://www.swrp.org/Student_Presentations/Preparation/Poster/Statistics/log_mean.html "andy" wrote: > Excel 2000 has log10 but I can't find antilog10 anywhere - can anyone help? > Check this out: http://www.swrp.org/Student_Presentations/Preparatio...

Slider math
I have a slider that should accept values from 5 to 5000. Since this cannot really be done by .Min and .Max, I have made it so that the slider values are internally converted into a logarithmic scale like this: Private Sub pTellValueFromSlider(ByVal nValue As Integer) Dim lMin& Dim lMax& lMin = 5 lMax = 1000 Dim lRes& lRes = 10 ^ (log10(lMin) + ((nValue - Me.slider1.Min) / _ Me.slider1.Max * (log10(lMax) - log10(lMin)))) Me.Caption = lRes End Sub This works great: When the slider is in the middl...

Why do my maths equations show strange symbols?
Hi, I'm using word 2007. Whenever I try to add maths equations (by using insert object > microsoft equation 3.0), I get strange symbols instead of what I intend to type out (e.g. "+" or "-" turns into some strange font). The same happens when I try to open word documents that have maths equations in them. All maths equations that I try to view turn into strange symbols that do not make sense. Can anyone help? Start the equation editor. In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Style and choose Define. In the resulting dialog, make sure that the...