Major file bloating in Word97, is it fixed in Word 2003

I needed to do a document and also prepare a PowerPoint for use on a
laptop. unfortunately, due to Murphy's Law, the only laptop I have in
working order at the moment is an ancient Windows 98 system with
Office 97 that I haven't used in years. I thought it might be easier
to prepare the stuff in Office97 rather than worry about accidentally
using something that would make my document incompatible.

While putting a few tables and charts from Excel into a Word document,
my file size swelled. Worse, when I was revising and deleting a few
charts, then making a few new ones it didn't seem to affect the file
size except to increase it. It never decreased even when I saved
intern things with far less data.

When I was all done, the file was over 1mb. Hitting CTRL-A, CTRL-C,
then opening a new Word document and then hitting CTRL-V caused the
new document to be only 400-some K.
Given that I have to move it to the old laptop via floppy, I'm a
little sensitive to file size. Was this wasteful behavior fixed in
Word 2003? I don't recall ever seeing things quite this bad, but it's
been a while since I've had to worry about file sizes this much. Given
that the thumb flash drive I normally use is as large as the ancient
laptop's hard drive, it's not normally an issue. Heck, I've got a tumb
drive that is larger than the laptop hard drive.

I normally work in Word 2003 as my latest computer only came with the
Office 2007 trial. Since I don't like the new interface anyways, I
was unwilling to shell out $ to pay to convert to the full version.
0
SlickRCBD

Copy all but the final paragraph mark into a new blank document and save
that.
Don't even think of *saving* to floppy. COPY it after saving it to the hard
drive.
Be aware that Word documents can be much larger than the capacity of a
floppy drive, so you may need to use a zip utility such as WinRar to split
it into a number of parts ... or you could e-mail it to yourself ... or
create an ad hoc network using an Ethernet crossover cable to transfer it.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

SlickRCBD wrote:
> I needed to do a document and also prepare a PowerPoint for use on a
> laptop. unfortunately, due to Murphy's Law, the only laptop I have in
> working order at the moment is an ancient Windows 98 system with
> Office 97 that I haven't used in years. I thought it might be easier
> to prepare the stuff in Office97 rather than worry about accidentally
> using something that would make my document incompatible.
>
> While putting a few tables and charts from Excel into a Word document,
> my file size swelled. Worse, when I was revising and deleting a few
> charts, then making a few new ones it didn't seem to affect the file
> size except to increase it. It never decreased even when I saved
> intern things with far less data.
>
> When I was all done, the file was over 1mb. Hitting CTRL-A, CTRL-C,
> then opening a new Word document and then hitting CTRL-V caused the
> new document to be only 400-some K.
> Given that I have to move it to the old laptop via floppy, I'm a
> little sensitive to file size. Was this wasteful behavior fixed in
> Word 2003? I don't recall ever seeing things quite this bad, but it's
> been a while since I've had to worry about file sizes this much. Given
> that the thumb flash drive I normally use is as large as the ancient
> laptop's hard drive, it's not normally an issue. Heck, I've got a tumb
> drive that is larger than the laptop hard drive.
>

> I normally work in Word 2003 as my latest computer only came with the
> Office 2007 trial. Since I don't like the new interface anyways, I
> was unwilling to shell out $ to pay to convert to the full version.

0
Graham
11/23/2009 9:12:50 AM
On Nov 23, 3:12 am, "Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:

> Be aware that Word documents can be much larger than the capacity of a
> floppy drive, so you may need to use a zip utility such as WinRar to split
> it into a number of parts ... or you could e-mail it to yourself ... or
> create an ad hoc network using an Ethernet crossover cable to transfer it.
>
> --
> <>
I don't know why my earlier reply never showed up.

I'd love to do the last option, but can you recommend a place where i
can get a cheap Ethernet NIC for a Windows 98 _First_ Edition laptop
that has a single type 3 PCMICA slot and USB ports but no built-in
Ethernet? It does have a built-in 56K modem.

The problem is Windows 98 First Edition drivers, and I really don't
want to spend a lot of money on a laptop that's been sitting unused in
my closet for over four years.
0
SlickRCBD
12/7/2009 6:30:26 PM
SlickRCBD wrote:
> On Nov 23, 3:12 am, "Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Be aware that Word documents can be much larger than the capacity of
>> a floppy drive, so you may need to use a zip utility such as WinRar
>> to split it into a number of parts ... or you could e-mail it to
>> yourself ... or create an ad hoc network using an Ethernet crossover
>> cable to transfer it.
>>
>> --
>> <>
> I don't know why my earlier reply never showed up.
>

> I'd love to do the last option, but can you recommend a place where i
> can get a cheap Ethernet NIC for a Windows 98 _First_ Edition laptop
> that has a single type 3 PCMICA slot and USB ports but no built-in
> Ethernet? It does have a built-in 56K modem.
>
> The problem is Windows 98 First Edition drivers, and I really don't
> want to spend a lot of money on a laptop that's been sitting unused in
> my closet for over four years.

Finding a card for that could be tough. But since you have USB ports
(presumably USB 1.0, but that's ok), you could try a USB memory stick. You
might be limited by Win98 to a 256 MB or 512 MB stick, but that should be
enough. Copy documents to the stick, move the stick to the other computer,
and copy to the hard drive.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

0
Jay

Massive log files
Considering that the SQL log file for the MSCRM database just keeps getting bigger and bigger, dispite all attempts to back it up, truncate it, and shrink it, I think I need to find another way to control the size of the log files. Does anyone know what happens if you UNcheck the option to "automatically grow file" in SQL enterprise manager? Will CRM still work? Or what happens if you delete the log file and recreate it in SQL enterprise manager? Is it possible to do this without corrupting the database? Thanks Simon, You need to perform Log backups on a regular basis. W...

Message: The File may be read-only, or you may.....
All of a sudden, I could no longer open my excel spreadsheet. I get the message "The File may be read- only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding" I've checked the attributes and they are all unchecked. All my other files work fine. I'm using Windows XP Prof and Excel 2002. Please Please help. Thanks in advance, Lee This sounds like a network access problem. I am using NT in my office, and I used to see this message quite often (because some glitches in IT revoke my access without any ...

Outlook 2003
When starting Outlook 2003 I get a message to say that it encountered a problem and needs to close - send error report or dont send. Either response brings up another dialog box advising that Outlook failed to start correctly last time and that I should start in safe mode to help correct or isolate a start up problem etc. Choices are - do you want to start Outlook in safe mode - yes or no. The no response returns me to the previous dialogue box while the yes response starts up Outlook in safe mode with all of its limitations (eg, not able to attach a file with an outgoing emai...

Word can not load e-mail envelope
The above error has recently started with Word 2003 when I click the "email" button to send a document as the email body, not as an attachment. Previously this function worked. The "send as an attachment" works. I have found a KB entry, but its solution did not work. I'm using Outlook 2003 as my default email editor. Thanks for any help and suggestions. Jim ...

Read Receipts
Good evening! I am thinking that read receipts are more an Outlook issue than an Exchange issue but wanted to ask here. We have a client who is secretly having us forward all e-mails sent to "PersonX" forwarded to the CEO (and then sent - via rule - to a specific sub-folder of his Inbox). Additionally, I have set up a Transport Rule to forward all outbound e-mails that "PersonX" sends to the CEO. The rule is very basic.... 1) check messages when they arrive 2) from people or distribution list (then select "PersonX") 3) move it to the specifi...

Stealing File Associations
Hi, I'm writing an application and I want to ensure that all mp3 files are opened by my application, when double clicked from Explorer. The RegisterShellFileTypes function call seems to register/associate file types only when i create a new extension. Existing associations are not overwritten by this function call. As in any PC, mp3 files are always registered to some media player. How can I steal the file association similar to what Winamp does? Is there a direct function call or should I modify registry directly? Thanks, Mugunth "Mugunth" <mugunth.kumar@gmail.com> wrot...

How do I copy multiple pages in Publisher 2003?
I want to add several pages from one Publisher file to another. How can I do this without having to cut and paste every page? You could open the Office Clipboard from edit. It can collect 24 items, it will make the process quicker. Are the pages consecutive? If not, delete the pages you don't need and try this: It is not for the faint of heart http://msauer.mvps.org/combining_publisher_documents.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Hector26gn" <Hector26gn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

WAV Files
Does any one know how to Graph a WAV file or represent a WAV file numerically. I need to analyze different WAV files. Steve Hi Steve............ I don't know much about it myself, but I did a Google search for "wav file analysis" and got a couple pages of hits.........one talks about a GUI for Wav-file analysis........... http://www.usna.edu/EE/links/ee_links.htm and another, an AudioSeparator......... http://www.google.com/search?q=+%22wav+file+analysis%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c 2coff=1&as_qdr=all&start=10&sa=N and another, a SIGVIEW audio analy...

Problems opening and saving Excel 2003 PC file with Excel2004 for Mac
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Received an excel 2003 file created on a PC with macros. When I open the file with excel 2004 for Mac I select enable macros, but some of the features (drop down menus) in the workbook no longer function. I need to update the data in the file and return this to my client (PC User) but I cannot save the file as xls workbook or in any other form for that matter. <br><br>Is this a compatability issue that cannot be resolved or is there a way around these problems I'm experiencing. Thanks. > This me...

Restoring my backup file
I was instructed by a rep at the number I called for warranty repair to perform a system recovery (system restore did not have any previous saves) due to this Blaster worm. At the time, neither I nor the rep I was speaking to know that this was a worm. Now my computer is back to normal (although all of my settings are gone) but I am not able to restore a previous backup of Money (2002 version). The previous files I kept are still under the Program Files\Microsoft Money directory, but when I try to access them, it says: Money cannot locate 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\Filen...

Word Search Puzzles
It's not "exactly" related to Pub, but then again, it's not "How do I make a pdf?" I create one of these each week in my paper. Thirty-nine words related to a specific topic. I have at least 350 of these and I was thinking, as a way to make money, that I should publish a book of them (I use a program that rearranges all the words so they would not be repeats). However, the cost of publishing a book is somewhat stiff, so I came upon the idea of making a pdf file and putting it on a CD. People would have to print the puzzle but there are not that many people w...

How to log changes in pst files for keeping track of what changes occur in pst file in outlook.
Hi, I want to track the changes or events on pst file in outlook. How to log the events like moving a folder, creating a new message, deleting a message, renaming a folder etc. As I want to do replication from a pst file to some other data file. I want to know what are changes happened in pst file, so that I will do only the incremental replication. Does mapi logs these events??? One way I find is I can implement the IMapiAdviseSink interface. In the OnNotify() method of IMapiAdviseSink I can log the event, but if before I logged the event, if outlook crashes.., how can I get the changes in...

Converting files for double-click in Office 2008
Hi All, As most of you probably know by now, in the Service release 1 for Office 2008, Microsoft decided to prevent files with old file types to open through a double-click or a drag and drop (and don't know why and that's not the point here). There is a workaround to open these files. MS recommends that you use the Open dialog from within Office applications. If you have hundreds of old files affected with this problem, that's hardly a decent solution. You can batch-wipe out the creator code of your files as well. If you do so, the Finder will then exclusively rely on t...

header file
Hello how can i send the events to any Exe (made in vc), if i have the header file. E.g If i have Mediaplayer.exe and header file for the same . How Can i control the functions of Play , stop , start. I need to load the application from command line. Below is the header file for the exe. /* mediaplayer.h */ /* Menue File */ #define IDC_CAPTURE_DLG 100 #define IDC_PLAYER_DLG 101 #define IDC_PLAY 102 #define IDC_TIMER_DLG 103 #define IDC_STATION_DLG 104 #define IDC_LOADSETG 105 #define IDC_SAVESETG 106 #define IDC_SAVESETGAS 107 #define IDC_EXIT 108 /* Menue VfW */ #define IDC_SOURCE_DLG 1...

File Search Excel 2003
I am looking at the File Menu/FileSearch command. I am aware the Property field refers to many of the properties of a file but the default is Text or Property and I dont quite understand what this means and how it differs from contents? thanks property means any thing in any proprties in File, Properties box. "shaz" <shaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83D46E41-4D7D-45F6-96DB-7F326CA8F0AB@microsoft.com... |I am looking at the File Menu/FileSearch command. I am aware the Property | field refers to many of the properties of a file but the defau...

Eseutil /MH Log files
Hi, I'm setting up an Exchange Restore Server and I want to Restore my Full Exchange DB backup from tape, and the Transaction Logs to the restore server. Running ESEUTIL /MH against my restored from tape full backup indicates the priv1.edb file is: 1. Dirty Shutdown state 2. Naming of the Needed log files don't match. It Says Log Required: 18325-18325 I have: Logs: E0004794 thru E00049DA .....Any Suggestions or Ideas on what to do next? Thx -tom D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA>"D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN\eseutil" /mh pu b1.edb M...

Cutting and pasting from another word document
I want to cut and paste a questionnaire I did into my dissertation as an appendix. However, the questionnaire is formatted differently and has a watermark. My question is, how can I cut and paste (or insert) the questionnaire into my dissertation without having to adjust the dissertation formatting and without having the questionnaire watermark throughout the document. Using print screen to insert loses quality. Insert a section break at the beginning of your questionnaire and go to the headers and footers in the section that contains the questionnaire and then unlink them fr...

Word Labels
I am using Word 2003. I have a page of folder labels in Word that I connect to an Access File. Whenever I bring up the page of labels in comes up with the "Mark-up" view on. I do not like this view and have to turn it off. How can I permanently change this file to only come up in "print view" view??? Can anyone help me or at least point me in the right direction. I never use the "mark-up" view. Aurora Markup view appears when the document contains tracked changes or comments. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trackchanges/HowTrackChangesWorks.ht...

Money 2007 Closes when doing File commands
I have Money 2007 Deluxe v 16.0.120.621. When I do these commands: File->New->New File or File->Back Up... or File->Import->Recover Account ( to import an Investment QIF ) Money closes with no error message. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution/fix? ...

New Exchange 2003 server pointing to 5.5 server for OWA
I had only a single Exchange 5.5 server in my Org, and I today added an Exchange 2003 server. Everything went fine, however when I try to browse OWA on the new server, it's trying to connect to my 5.5 server. I know this because a NAV for MS Exchange prompt comes up and the titlebar says "connect to SERVERNAME". Yes there's NAV on that server (and stopping the service makes this operation fail entirely), but I don't want it to point to that server at all. Long story short, how do I tell my Exchange 2003 server to point to ITSELF for OWA? On Fri, 20 May 2005 ...

Long File Paths
Hello, I was wondering how I would go about handling large file paths (greater than the regular 200 and something character limit for file paths). I read an article on MSDN regarding this and they said I have to use the Unicode version of their respective libraries (for creating a directory for instance using CreateDirectory), however when I attempt to use their suggestion it appears that I am not using the Unicode libraries. How would I go about forcing the compiler to look for and find libraries that support long path names (Unicode)? Is it a part of the Platform SDK? Sincerely, ...

Major help needed #2
Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped. Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the calls picking out certain numbers, users, etc. Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made. So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows of calls. I still need a lot, lot more. Is there any way tha...

save appointments on an other file
hi i want to save my calender and appointment on an other file (on usb stick) than my contacts an e-mails. everything musy be on the standard pst file , and my appointments must be on my usb stick. when i remove my usb stick my appointments must be removed from my pc. all the rest must stay on my pc. is tahat possible ??? All Outlook items are saved in one file. Do you want to copy your contact and calendar folders to the USB stick? where do you intend to open them to view? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

E00***.log files
I have had over 8 gig of E00***.log files appear. I dont know where they are coming from but the only thing I can connect them to is the Mailbox store says it has not backed up since approx the time of the first log. Any ideas? Have you ever backed up the server (Information Store in particular) using any Exchange-aware backup utility? At the end of a successful backup, these log files get purged. Windows Server's built-in NTBackup utility can do this as well, locally from the Exchange Server or remotely from a computer that has Exchange Mgmt Tools installed. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - ...

Exchange 2003 Full Text Index
Dear all, I have a Exchange 2003 Std Edtn running Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz with 512MB RAM and 80GB of disk space. Exchange store is about 9GB. I also have Trend Micro ScanMail 6.2 and eManager 5.2 installed. When I run the Full Text Index, It is running for 48hours and still running. The CPU utilization is about 10-20 percent but hard disk is reading and writing non-stop. When I view the disk I/O in performance meter it is hitting the roof. The whole system becomes sluggish and user is getting timeout connecting from outlook. Oh, When I pause or stop the population the system will return to alm...