Maintaining Format

We have a 400 page tech manual with tons of formatting: figures, tables with
auto numbering, chapters and paragraph numbering. There are 4 folks on the
team re-writing the document and when we combine the doc, all the formatting
gets jumbled. Is there a way to create a formatting template perhaps and pass
that to all the writers?

You should set up a template with the appropriate paragraph styles and have
all editors use the template. More to the point, if all editors make use of
the same (set of) styles and apply them consistently, the formatting will
straighten itself out as the text is combined into a single document.

For more information on templates in Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm. And for
style basics, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/concepts/styles/index.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jdavey" <jdavey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a 400 page tech manual with tons of formatting: figures, tables
> with
> auto numbering, chapters and paragraph numbering. There are 4 folks on the
> team re-writing the document and when we combine the doc, all the
> formatting
> gets jumbled. Is there a way to create a formatting template perhaps and
> pass
> that to all the writers?

0
Stefan

How-to apply conditional format
I have a list of attendance at my schools' chess club. I'd like to highlight those that have been absent for the past 3 meetings, as they are now eligible to be replaced by kids on the waiting list. Any idea how I can write a conditional format to check ideally the row for check marks and highlight the Name cell if three consecutive cells are not checked or alternatively (2nd prize) if the total of attendances are 3 less than the maximum number of attendances. Also fine if I can get the bottom 15% of attendance and highlight their names. I had a conditional formula on the Name cell...

apply conditional formatting
How do I apply conditional formatting that evaluates two criteria. For instance I need the field to change colors if the the date = today and Completed = no jimh wrote: >How do I apply conditional formatting that evaluates two criteria. For >instance I need the field to change colors if the the date = today and >Completed = no Use the Expression Is: option. The expression might be something like: Not [Completed] And [datefield] = Date() Don't ask me why, but the [ ] are necessary arounf the field names, even if they are pure alphanumeric names. -- Marsh MVP [MS Ac...

date format #13
04/11/05 is 2005/11/04 but Excel thinks it's 2004/11/05. I have many this kind of date need to be correct. Anyone knows how to do it in the simplest way? Thank you very much. This is purely a guess, but I think I'd play around with regional settings for this. Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language options "gil.qi.zhang@gmail.com" wrote: > 04/11/05 is 2005/11/04 but Excel thinks it's 2004/11/05. I have many > this kind of date need to be correct. Anyone knows how to do it in the > simplest way? Thank you very much. > > ...

How do I maintain formatting?
I'm using Word 2K and when I save as a .txt file all formatting is lost. I use a Text to HTML converter prior to uploading to a website. How do I go about preserving the formatting so that the web doc looks like the one I created in Word? Best regards, -- VHH III Txt is plain text and that does not support formatting. Html does support formatting, but its requirements are entirely different from those of a Word document and so there is little correlation between the two. You can view what the Word document will look like in html by using the Web view. -- <>&...

group-object formatting question
Hello there, one question on the formatting of the group-object output. Using dir | Get-Acl | ForEach-Object { $_.Access } | Group-Object IdentityReference I get a table with Count, Name and Group. Count Name Group ----- ---- ----- 9 predefines\Administr... {System.. 9 grpTP-FILES-IT-RW {System.Secur How can I access just the Name field of this output? Thanks very much, Uwe R2V0IHRoZSBwcm9wZXJ0eSB2YWx1ZSBmcm9tIGVhY2ggW01pY3Jvc29mdC5Qb3dlclNoZWxsLkNv bW1hbmRzLkdyb3VwSW5mb10NCg0KZGlyIHwgR2V0LU...

hidden formatting symbols
In Word I'm able to see paragraph marks and other hidden formatting symbols. Can this be done in powerpoint 2007? I've searched and haven't found it. Seeing the hidden symbols would help when editing a slide within a text box Thanks -- Dave Yep would be useful but you can't do it AFAIK. "Dave R" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8755AD11-7B3B-47E1-A6D4-DA54B8AE87BB@microsoft.com... > In Word I'm able to see paragraph marks and other hidden formatting > symbols. > Can this be done in powerpoint 2007? I'...

Copy conditional formatting across multiple rows?
I am using Excel 2003 and have created conditional formatting on the first row in the worksheet with a formula as follows =R3C3="No". This works correctly and the formatting of the row works as expected. If I now copy the formatting to the row below, using the 'Fill formatting Only' option when pasting the formatting is still based on the cell referenced in the intial formatting. Is there anyway to reference column 3 more generically in the formatting formula so I do not have to modify the formula on every row? TIA Gil Gil, R3C3 is absolute referencing. You can e...

Conditional Formatting #22
I have 2 cells: A1 (yes or no value) B1 (numeric value) I want to apply conditional formatting to cell B1 that says if A1="yes" then contents of B1 are bold. How can I do this? Jess, Select B1. Format - Conditional formatting - formula: =A1="yes" -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Jess" <Jess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F28BDFA7-959E-4F39-BF7A-01872C9CA3EF@microsoft.com... >I have 2 cells: > > A1 (yes or no value) > B1 (numeric value) > >...

Formatting sheets
Hi, Is there a way to cascade formatting in an xls? I.e I have a xls with one sheet in it, for each new sheet added I woul like it to have the formatting etc of the first sheet. Is this possible? Thanks, -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi You can set up a default for new sheets/workbooks but these are for all new sheets/workbooks and not one default per workbook. Save a sheet with the formatting you want (incl font, format, print layout, margins etc) and save it as a template (xlt) called sheet.xlt in your XLStart folder. You can do the same with a workbook and save ...

Specify format in source data
can you specify format information in the source data. for example coul you specify that a segment in a pie chart for sales of oranges shoul always be orange, apples green etc et -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In this post I show a macro that colors a series based on the series name. It would not be a major effort to base the color instead on the X value of a point. Of course, if the fruits are always in the same order, just keep using a copy of the same chart, or turn it into a custom chart type: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CreateCustomTypes.html - J...

mail merge formatting
I have a Publisher brochure merged with an Excel spreadsheet. Many of the fields go into a table. The cells in Excel are formatted as currency but don't show up as currency in the Publisher document. I can't find how to format the table or the table cells in Publisher as currency. Thank you for your help. okschlaps wrote: > I have a Publisher brochure merged with an Excel spreadsheet. Many of the > fields go into a table. The cells in Excel are formatted as currency but > don't show up as currency in the Publisher document. I can't find how to > format the ta...

Maintaining Links
All, I have a db that is linked to a table of another db. They are kept in one folder. Whenver I move the folder to another comp or change the location I need to re-link. How do I maintain the link so that I don't have to relink every time I move the folder? Thanks in advance. What you are asking is "How can I be in 2 places at the same time?" Do I really need to answer that? On the other hand, you can have the front-end app automatically ask for the new location. Have a look at the following: http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://...

Number format 05-12-10
Hello Can anyone help on this small query. I want to enter a year in a cell in this format "2006/07" I have several cells linked to this which will then populate in steps i.e. based on the year I have entered they will increase annually thus 2007/08, 2008/09 et seq. Can this be done? Many thanks Mars There may be easier ways to do this but.......... With 2007 in A1 Enter in B1 =LEFT(A1,2)&RIGHT(A1,2)&"/"&TEXT(RIGHT(A1,2)+1,"00") Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:47:45 -0700 (PDT), mars <hifrommars@hotma...

Formatting part of text in a Cell & shortcut copying Row hieghts
1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a part of text in a cell? 2. Is there a shortcut way of applying hieght of a specific row to other selected rows. -- Many Thanks Gunjani After a hard fought 1-1 draw, "The best side drew." - Bill Shankly (Legendary Liverpool Manager) Hi one way for your first question: simly select the specific text part in the formula bar and apply your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gunjani wrote: > 1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a > part of t...

Maintaining Format
We have a 400 page tech manual with tons of formatting: figures, tables with auto numbering, chapters and paragraph numbering. There are 4 folks on the team re-writing the document and when we combine the doc, all the formatting gets jumbled. Is there a way to create a formatting template perhaps and pass that to all the writers? You should set up a template with the appropriate paragraph styles and have all editors use the template. More to the point, if all editors make use of the same (set of) styles and apply them consistently, the formatting will straighten itself out as t...

Inserting files and formatting cell size
Is there a way to insert a Microsoft Publisher file into another Publisher file, like you can do with Word files? I have two seperate Publisher files that I would like to make into one document. Would Merge work? If so, how? Also, is there a way to change the size of one cell of one row without changing the size of the cells in the other rows? For instance, I would like the first cell of the first row to be 2 inches and the second cell to be 4 inches. However, I'd like the first cell of the second row to be one inch and the second cell of the second row to be 5 inches. When I try to...

Conditional formating using named cell
Hi. In a pivottable in Excel 07 I have the monthly results for a department. I use conditional formating to indicate if the spend value for year to date exceeds the total-year-plan with more than a certain pct. This pct will change over the year, depending on the month shown. Till now I have typed the value in the conditional formating: =3D($J9*4/12)<$G9 [J is total-year-plan and G is the spend value for year to date.] I would like to make the formula dynamic, and have it to refer to a cell called ValueForRed. I have tried to tye =3D($J9*ValueForRed)<$G9 but it does not work. Any s...

Conditional Format?
Excel2003 ... Conditional Format? Range B10:B40 contains Text Range C10:C40 contains numbers Range G10:G40 " Range K10:K40 " I am looking for a Conditional Formula in Range B10:B40 B10 Conditions ... based on Ranges (C10:C40, G10:G40, K10:K40) 1: RED ... MAX Value 2: ORG ... 2nd Largest Value 3: YEL ... 3rd Largest Value I know how to set Cond Colors, but I am stuck on Cond Formula to place in Range B10:B:40 ... & Unfortunately, I am sure I have written this much more complicated then it is ??? My "Thanks" in advance to the many E...

How do I restore format cells menu?
I am working in Excel 2002, multi-page workbook. On some pages "format cell" is not operational - neither from the toolbar or by right-clicking mouse. Command is there but produces no result. On other pages in the same book all is well. There are no protected pages, and this is happening only in one particular workbook. Have tried reset to no avail. When copy and paste material to properly functioning page problem is carried as well. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated. ...

conditional number formats

Numbers format
I have a document containg numbers (digits) which I want to be in Arabic format, but also at the end of my document are some references which are in english and their numbers should be in english too... can anyone help me how to do that... because if I go to the Options in the Tools menu and change the way numbers should look from there, the effect will be applied to the whole document... thank you... Since you don't need to use the numbers as numbers (to do arithmetic), you can go to Insert Symbol, choose the Unicode range (upper right dropdown) for the forms that _aren'...

Excel defaulting to 3 decimal places when using the gen. format
I have a problem when entering numerical values in cells that have been formated to general. Somehow the cells seem to be formatted using 3 decimal places automatically even though I don't want decimal places. Entering 123 gives me a .123. Entering 1234 gives me 1.234. I believe that I may have set up a macro to automatically default all values to 3 decimal places. It is now affecting all my excel files. I can't call up the macro and delete it. Attempting to reformat the cells doesn't help. It automatically affects any new workbooks that I create. Can anyone suggest what I...

Using publisher 2007, how do I reformat a PUB flyer to jpg format
I just started using PUB 2007 and have this question -- pls help. Mny thx, Gil Rosoff, San Mateo, CA File, save as, Files of type, scroll down to the .jpg options. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Gil Rosoff" <Gil Rosoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B70E8398-1BD2-44A2-AF3E-20DB8D7A646C@microsoft.com... >I just started using PUB 2007 and have this question -- pls help. > Mny thx, Gil Rosoff, San Mateo, CA Why use a .jpg? Why not a .pdf? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dum...

Journal image format?
Hello- Our Accounting department requires a hard copy of receipts for the audit trail. I'd like to write a utility to print all the journal receipts. The database field is in the Journal table and is called ReceiptCompressed. I have extracted an entry but cannot determine the file type. I've tried unzipping it, viewing it as a TIFF/BMP/JPG/GIF. The header is ZIP01PK which made me think it is compressed using ZIP but that didn't work either. Any thoughts how to extract and view these database entries? Thank-you! Jassen On Oct 4, 10:41=A0am, Jassen <Jas...@discussions...

Lock format changes
Is there anyway to lock format changes. Specifically, users are clicking and dragging cell values down the columns. I know education is the answer....copy/paste special/values only, but this is a bunch of old dogs that dont want to learn new tricks. I would like for them to be able to click and drag down but not copy borders and shading. We are using xl2000 Thanks I saw Gavins reply in a previous post recommending to unlock the cells in question and then protect sheet. This doesnt appear to work. I might also add that copying down changes the Font size. The size currently alternates bet...