Macro disappears

I have two online students who say that they're able to record a macro (to 
insert a table) and add a button to the Quick Access bar. They say the macro 
works OK while they're creating it, and that their security settings are set 
to enable macros, but that when they open a different document or (one of 
them says) when pressing the button on the Quick Access bar, they get a 
message saying that the macro can't be found or has been disable due to 
security settings. The one who can't use the button on the Quick Access bar 
is able to use his keyboard shortcut keys at the time he records the macro, 
but then gets the macro can't be found message after that. They both say that 
they've double-checked their security settings and that everything there is 
set to enable the macro to run. I did not instruct them to make any changes 
to the location where the macro would be stored, so it should be stored with 
the Normal template. I've asked them if they made any changes to that, but 
haven't received any answers back yet. Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks!

-- 
janchan
0
Utf
3/1/2010 4:18:01 AM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1512 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

Hi,

If your students have added any templates, they may have saved a template in 
a location that is not trusted for all their documents. The information in 
the summary of the Word 2007 security settings that I have written on my Web 
site at http://www.makeofficework.com/word_macros_the_risk.htm might be 
helpful for locating the possible source of the problem.

-- 
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz
My Web site: http://makeofficework.com 


"janchan" wrote:

> I have two online students who say that they're able to record a macro (to 
> insert a table) and add a button to the Quick Access bar. They say the macro 
> works OK while they're creating it, and that their security settings are set 
> to enable macros, but that when they open a different document or (one of 
> them says) when pressing the button on the Quick Access bar, they get a 
> message saying that the macro can't be found or has been disable due to 
> security settings. The one who can't use the button on the Quick Access bar 
> is able to use his keyboard shortcut keys at the time he records the macro, 
> but then gets the macro can't be found message after that. They both say that 
> they've double-checked their security settings and that everything there is 
> set to enable the macro to run. I did not instruct them to make any changes 
> to the location where the macro would be stored, so it should be stored with 
> the Normal template. I've asked them if they made any changes to that, but 
> haven't received any answers back yet. Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks!
> 
> -- 
> janchan
0
Utf
3/1/2010 8:25:01 AM
Thank you, Pesach! That makes sense because 1) only these two students are 
having problems, and 2) I teach them how to create a template in the lesson 
immediately prior to this one (so these two may have added their macros to 
those templates). If I understand what you're saying correctly, if they save 
their templates to a Trusted location, they should be able to locate their 
macros. Is that correct? Thank you again.
-- 
janchan


"Pesach Shelnitz" wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> If your students have added any templates, they may have saved a template in 
> a location that is not trusted for all their documents. The information in 
> the summary of the Word 2007 security settings that I have written on my Web 
> site at http://www.makeofficework.com/word_macros_the_risk.htm might be 
> helpful for locating the possible source of the problem.
> 
> -- 
> Hope this helps,
> Pesach Shelnitz
> My Web site: http://makeofficework.com 
> 
> 
> "janchan" wrote:
> 
> > I have two online students who say that they're able to record a macro (to 
> > insert a table) and add a button to the Quick Access bar. They say the macro 
> > works OK while they're creating it, and that their security settings are set 
> > to enable macros, but that when they open a different document or (one of 
> > them says) when pressing the button on the Quick Access bar, they get a 
> > message saying that the macro can't be found or has been disable due to 
> > security settings. The one who can't use the button on the Quick Access bar 
> > is able to use his keyboard shortcut keys at the time he records the macro, 
> > but then gets the macro can't be found message after that. They both say that 
> > they've double-checked their security settings and that everything there is 
> > set to enable the macro to run. I did not instruct them to make any changes 
> > to the location where the macro would be stored, so it should be stored with 
> > the Normal template. I've asked them if they made any changes to that, but 
> > haven't received any answers back yet. Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks!
> > 
> > -- 
> > janchan
0
Utf
3/1/2010 10:03:01 AM
Hi,

Yes, that is correct regarding Trusted locations, but also pay attention to 
the differences between the availability of macros saved in templates stored 
in the Word Startup folder, the Word Template folder, and the user Template 
folder when working in individual documents.

-- 
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz
My Web site: http://makeofficework.com 


"janchan" wrote:

> Thank you, Pesach! That makes sense because 1) only these two students are 
> having problems, and 2) I teach them how to create a template in the lesson 
> immediately prior to this one (so these two may have added their macros to 
> those templates). If I understand what you're saying correctly, if they save 
> their templates to a Trusted location, they should be able to locate their 
> macros. Is that correct? Thank you again.
> -- 
> janchan
> 
> 
> "Pesach Shelnitz" wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > If your students have added any templates, they may have saved a template in 
> > a location that is not trusted for all their documents. The information in 
> > the summary of the Word 2007 security settings that I have written on my Web 
> > site at http://www.makeofficework.com/word_macros_the_risk.htm might be 
> > helpful for locating the possible source of the problem.
> > 
> > -- 
> > Hope this helps,
> > Pesach Shelnitz
> > My Web site: http://makeofficework.com 
> > 
> > 
> > "janchan" wrote:
> > 
> > > I have two online students who say that they're able to record a macro (to 
> > > insert a table) and add a button to the Quick Access bar. They say the macro 
> > > works OK while they're creating it, and that their security settings are set 
> > > to enable macros, but that when they open a different document or (one of 
> > > them says) when pressing the button on the Quick Access bar, they get a 
> > > message saying that the macro can't be found or has been disable due to 
> > > security settings. The one who can't use the button on the Quick Access bar 
> > > is able to use his keyboard shortcut keys at the time he records the macro, 
> > > but then gets the macro can't be found message after that. They both say that 
> > > they've double-checked their security settings and that everything there is 
> > > set to enable the macro to run. I did not instruct them to make any changes 
> > > to the location where the macro would be stored, so it should be stored with 
> > > the Normal template. I've asked them if they made any changes to that, but 
> > > haven't received any answers back yet. Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks!
> > > 
> > > -- 
> > > janchan
0
Utf
3/1/2010 11:26:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Macro warning with no macros
I have a workbook that when I try to open it I get the warning tellin me it contains macros and asking whether I want to Enable or Disabl them. I put no macros, no VB scripts, nothing at all in the workboo other than standard Excel formulas and some charts. I developed it i Excel 2002, SP-2, but have moved it back and forth between tw computers, the other which has Excel 97. Regardless of whether Enable or Disable or change the security settings so as not to get th warning, once the workbook is open even if I go t Tools-Macro-Macros... it lists no macros. How can I find out what's cau...

Macro
Can anybody tell me how to kick off a macro automatically as file is opened? Regards ...

Macro
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel Hi, I'm thinking of buying Mac: Office 2008, but before I do I want to check that I will be able to download Scritpsmart collection of templates without any glitches: <http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/faq.shtml> Does anyone know if I can do this? Regards, SP. In article <ee98ff5.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, StregaItalia@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: intel > > Hi, > > I'm thinking of buying Mac: Of...

Help with macro/and or formula?
Perhaps this is a silly question, but i just can't figure out how t format this worksheet. The problem is that a lot of the cells hav numbers in them with negative signs in the back instead of in the fron (ie. 23-) and i was wondering if anyone knew of a macro/formula i coul use to quickly fix this problem for all the cells. I would b extremely grateful. Thanks -- brefed1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- brefed15's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3557 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthre...

Attached Toolbars Macros
Excel 2003 I have a custom tool bar, this tool bar has several items, each item is pointing to a VBA code. This tool bar is attached to the worksheet. I've copied this spreadsheet to several computers. After I copied the spreadsheet I decided to rename the spreadsheet, after I renamed the spreadsheet the Toolbar Item's macros were still pointing to the old name, I reasigned each tool bar item to the current spreadsheet, saved the spreadsheet and everything was working on my computer, but when I re-copied the new spreadsheet to other computers and I clicked on the Toolbar Item...

Run macro automatically.
How do I make a macro run automatically when a worksheet it is attached to is loaded? right click on the sheet tab>view code>left window worksheet>right window activate -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Excel macro" <Excel macro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD7AF1E3-9263-4523-AC49-A43ABA1AB9D0@microsoft.com... > How do I make a macro run automatically when a worksheet it is attached to is > loaded? I am unable to find "activate " when I right click on worksheet. ( i assume that you are referring to the windo...

Protected sheets and running macros
i have a sheet with a macro ran by a normal button at the top. Howeve when i protect the worksheet where ever i click on the sheet the macr executes. Can any one offer any advice on how to stop this? Thanks Robert -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com hi, i am not able to reproduce the problem, hence i may not be able t provide a panacea for that issue. here is what i suggest. i have a sheet that has a macro that is run when a control toolbo button (that is, not a form button) is clicked. this sheet is protected based on the user logged in. what i have don is to protect t...

Macro Freezes Reading Pane
I have a macro that Sends/Receives Tasks from Project Server into Outlook Tasks. Everything is working fine, except one weird thing that happens. I have the Timer set on the macro and it starts as soon as Outlook starts. The macro gets the tasks from ProjectServer every hour. As soon as the macro starts running the Reading pane freezes in the Inbox. If i stop the macro then Reading pane is back to normal. Can anyone please tell me if there is something I can do in VBA to fix this annoying issue. Thanks a lot ...

Macro to remove rows?
Hi, I receive thousands of rows of data from an extract that comes from a database. The data extract automatically generates page headers that need to be removed, and I would love to automate this process. The headers do have a pattern to them, but I'm not clever enough to figure out a good way to use that to write a macro. The first row of the header starts with hyphens ------------------------------- Then there's a variable number of rows of header data to delete followed by another row of hyphens ------------------------------- Then 2 additional rows that must be deleted. The nu...

Calling on a macro within a macro!
Hey All!! Quick Question - How do you call up a macro within a current macro? I have one big macro and I need it to jump to several other macros when it runs! Does it matter where the other macros are stored or is it better to have them all in one module? Help appreciated Thnx! Hi Mellowe, '=============>> Public Sub Main() 'Your code Call One 'your code End Sub '<<============= '=============>> Public Sub One() MsgBox "Hi from One" End Sub '<<============= > Does it matter where the other macros are stored or ...

shortcut keys to macros
Hi, Is it at all possible to assign shortcut keys to macros in Outlook? Thx, Hans ...

help Unable to record Macro !!!!!!!
I want to record a macro in excel.But as soon as I click record Macro it says "unable to record" macro. Got no help in excel help.I do this same thing in word and it's working. Please help It's urgent for me !!!1 Have a look here http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=unable%20to%20record&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.* -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "ash" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3e0b01c42ae5$45333e00$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I want to record a macro in excel.But as soon as I click > record...

Macro that password protects a sheet
I am attempting to create a macro that can open a protected sheet, change something, and then protect it again. I continue to have an issue with the macro not entering the password. Is this possible to do/fix? Thanks, Ryan ..open password="mypassword" -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4780ED8-CA1D-4284-97BC-3576160D998E@microsoft.com... > I am attempting to create a macro that can open a protected sheet, change > something, and then protect it again. I continue to have an iss...

Footer Macro?
Hi Months ago I read a Public Sub Macro that read the selection of a drop down list in a combo box and placed it in the center Footer at the same time it also placed the date in the right Footer and tme in the left footer. I have searched most of the regular sites including this one and cannot find it anywhere --- Can anyone help with my search. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully ...

Keyboard Shortcut in Macro
Hi all i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it to Ctrl+z how can i do it . regards Tools-->Macro-->Macros. Select (don't open!) your macro, and hit the Options button. :) ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "osaka78" <osaka78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1721A458-212D-4446-8209-494A459EE428@microsoft.com... > Hi all > i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it > to > Ctrl+z > how can i do it . > > regards THE MACRO IS NO...

Macros have been disabled but there is no macro
when I open a specific doc the info bar at the top says "Macros have been disabled", but when I hit Alt+F11 I can't find any VB or a module to remove. Why is it telling me about macros? Other docs don't give me this prompt. I thought I might have to enable macros to see the code. When I enabled macro, it said "do you want to save changes to this doc?" it flickered and came back as if immediately reopened. Any ideas? I could copy and paste the text into a new doc but I'd be interested to be able to strip off this problem. The doc is an internal IT ...

Email text disappears when click save
Text entered on an email disappears when we click save, even when using the Administrator account. ...

Run multiple Macros or macros from within other macros ?
I would like to run multiple macros at startup. What code should be used in the Private Sub Application_Startup command in the ThisOutlookSession area ? If the names of my macros were below what would the code to look like ? Macro1 Macro2 Macro3 I have looked at the samples from previous posts and cannot determine how to make them apply specifically to my needs. In Excel you can use the Run "Macro1" line and it would run that macro. Run does not work in Outlook I suppose because I kept getting an error. **** Also - What code is needed to execute a macro from w...

Startup macro
Is it possible for automatic start of macro in moment when excel file is opening. I mean when I open excel file specific macro will be immediately automatic started. Zeno option explicit sub auto_Open() call yourspecificmacronamehere end sub Zeno wrote: > > Is it possible for automatic start of macro in moment when excel file is > opening. > I mean when I open excel file specific macro will be immediately automatic > started. > > Zeno -- Dave Peterson ...

Macro Question #8
Hi: I have a group of several files with a simple macro that automatically goes to a specific worksheet at the time the file is opened. The code is as follows: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets ("TITLE").Select Range ("a1").Select End Sub The macro works properly when a single file is opened, but when I try to open several of the files at the same time I get the following error message: Run Time Error 1004 Select method of Worksheet Class Failed All of the files do open, but the macro appears to run on only the first file selected. All of the other files open ...

Listbox scrollbar disappears
I have a program that periodically sets the contents of a listbox. After the program runs for some time, the vertical scrollbar is no longer painted (but otherwise still works). I wrote a small dialog based MFC application that reproduces the problem. The dialog contains a list box control and a button control. Selecting the button control fills the list box with 10 items 10000 times. Here is the button code that reproduces the problem for me: void ClbtestDlg::OnBnClickedButton1() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here for (int idx1=0; idx1<10000; idx1...

macros #29
I am trying to remove dup rows in an excel spreadsheet, but my macro only deletes the dup out of the first column, not the whole row and moves up the next item to replace what it deleted. Any suggestions post the macro here. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It's easier to work from the bottom towards the top (just in case you're not doing it now). And you can do this kind of thing to get rid of a row: rows(i).delete cells(i,1).entirerow.delete But it's difficult to guess without seeing your code. Dorothea wrote: > > I am trying to remove dup ro...

MACRO AUTORUN
HI EVRYONE, ON ONE OF MY EXCEL SHEETS I HAVE MACRO RUNNING. WHENEVER I OPEN THE FILE, IT SAID CLICK TO DISABLE OR ALLOW. I DID NOT ADD ANY MACRO, I CAN'T FIND ANY MACRO IN THE SPREAD SHEET (TOOLS, MACRO). IF I COPY PASTE AND SAVE ON ANOTHER DOCUMENT, SAME THING. IF I SEND TO A COLLEGUE AND OPENS IT, SAME BLOODY MACRO. HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS MACRO. THANKS -- Chich See http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "b52shut" <b52shut@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9D2BF73D-4F4D-4F...

Macro to save file at runtime
I am trying to write a macro to take a filename from a cell(I can do that) and store in a variable. THen I want to save the current sheet into a new Excel File(SAVE AS command). When I attempted to record the macro going through the menu commands, it recorded the following: ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\file.xls", FileFormat _ :=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:= _ False, CreateBackup:=False Now what I want is to insert the filename variable in place of the "C:\file.xls". Seemed pretty simple ...

Macro or VB macro
I need a macro to reply to a certain message , add in a person to the list and add some text to the message and then send. so 1.st - i want to reply all - But I want to add a person to the list . and second 2. I want to add in some text. Should be easy right ?? Can you use the rules wizard to get close to what you are trying to achieve? "JMS" <JMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B12EBB95-EA9B-482F-8C57-2986F4602ADD@microsoft.com... >I need a macro to reply to a certain message , add in a person to the list > and add some text to the message and th...