longer drop down box content?

I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard form 
fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of three 
paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a drop-down box would 
be the easiest excpet for the fact that the drop-down box only lets me put in 
approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to 
make the drop-down options longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?

I am using Word 2007
0
Utf
3/5/2010 4:51:02 PM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
4160 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per 
item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create 
a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list 
box back into the document. See 
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_UserForm_ListBox.htm for an illustration 
of this workaround and a sample download.

-- 
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so 
all may benefit.

BDankas wrote:
> I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
> form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
> three paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a
> drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
> drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs
> are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to make the drop-down options
> longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?
>
> I am using Word 2007 


0
Jay
3/5/2010 5:39:34 PM
Does the method you provide include a way to input more than 50 characters?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per 
> item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create 
> a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list 
> box back into the document. See 
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_UserForm_ListBox.htm for an illustration 
> of this workaround and a sample download.
> 
> -- 
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so 
> all may benefit.
> 
> BDankas wrote:
> > I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
> > form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
> > three paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a
> > drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
> > drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs
> > are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to make the drop-down options
> > longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?
> >
> > I am using Word 2007 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
3/5/2010 8:54:41 PM
Yes, it does. The list box or the combo box in a userform will accept
a large number of characters per entry. As an experiment, I've just
made a list box with one entry that contains 104 words that total 590
characters, and it works.

However, a list box or combo box will only display as many characters
as will fit in the width you give to the box. Even if you're willing
to make the box very wide, probably you could not see the whole entry.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:54:41 -0800, BDankas
<BDankas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does the method you provide include a way to input more than 50 characters?
>
>"Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
>> A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per 
>> item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create 
>> a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list 
>> box back into the document. See 
>> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_UserForm_ListBox.htm for an illustration 
>> of this workaround and a sample download.
>> 
>> -- 
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so 
>> all may benefit.
>> 
>> BDankas wrote:
>> > I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
>> > form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
>> > three paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a
>> > drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
>> > drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs
>> > are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to make the drop-down options
>> > longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?
>> >
>> > I am using Word 2007 
>> 
>> 
>> .
>> 
0
Jay
3/6/2010 12:53:07 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

can't Drag and drop an email message from an Outlook Folder into a new message
I have an annoying Outlook problem that I can't figure out; I can't Drag and drop an email message from an Outlook Folder into a new message as an attachment in Outlook 3002. For example, I create a new email message, and then I want to attach an old message to the new message. I locate the old message, and then try to drag it into the new message. However, nothing happens. The odd thing is that sometimes it actually works, but most of the time it does not work. The other odd thing is that this problem occurred on my old machine, and now I'm seeing it again on a new system. As a...

How to get Cell contents in scrollbar mouseover, not cell#
Hello all - I have a large Xcel 2000 file with last names in column 'A'. I'd like to use the scroll bar and see the actual cell value rather than the cell# in the mouseover, as the cell# is not terrifically valuable information. Any hints or insights would help. Thanks and regards, Bob ...

edit box multiple text selection
Hi, I am working on a project in which I have to show some data in binary format in an edit box. This edit box shows data similar to the Memory View window of the VC++ IDE or like the view of a file when we open a file in Binary format in VC++ IDE. In this edit box I show starting address, 16 bytes binary data, and 16 bytes character data in a single line. I want to make edit box in such a way that when user selects binary data in the edit box, the corresponding character data is also selected, the same way as it happens in VC++ IDE. Can you please suggest me some resources on the net or ti...

set flashing alarm by a date for a text box
For example, I want to set an alarm that flashes my car bill entry a week before it is actually due. Thank you! You can only do that using VBA (macros). These links explain how: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.htm http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T0214_Flashing_Cells.html Hope this helps, Hutch "In a quandary always" wrote: > For example, I want to set an alarm that flashes my car bill entry a week > before it is actually due. Thank you! ...

Typing to sleect an item in list box
Hello, Ok, this one has to be easy becasue I can't find it anywhere. I have a list box. I want to select an item in it. When I type... every keystroke brings me to the first entry with that letter instead of going to the second letter in the word I am typing. For example when I type Brady I end up on the first entry with a "Y" rather than on the Brady. Any clues? Thanks Jc Papi Joe C wrote: > Hello, > > Ok, this one has to be easy becasue I can't find it anywhere. > > I have a list box. I want to select an item in it. When I type... > every keystrok...

Deleting Messages in 'Deleted Items' Box in Outlook Express
I have XP home edition. Is there any way of deleting some messages in the 'Deleted Items' box other than individually selecting each one? I have lots of messages in there that I would like to temporarily keep and some I want to permanently discard. Is there some way of selecting whole blocks of messages from one person without individually selecting each message? Merryterry wrote: > I have XP home edition. Is there any way of deleting some messages in > the 'Deleted Items' box other than individually selecting each one? > > I have lots of messages in th...

I get a "MS LAPD Directory" dialogue box asking for a password. #2
What do I do? My end goal is to send fliers in the body of an email - not an attachment, and I was told my Outlook is not set up yet, though I can get my hotmail emails. ...

Combo Box or Data Validation
I have a cell that includes a list of names (data validation). I want the pivot table page field to change following the name selected. How can I do this? Is it better with a combo box? Thank you! I would think it would be easiest if you made the name column a page field in the pivottable. It'll even look kind of like data|validation. FA wrote: > > I have a cell that includes a list of names (data validation). > I want the pivot table page field to change following the name selected. > How can I do this? > > Is it better with a combo box? > > Thank you! ...

Add Up Check Box
I need help on adding up number of check mark box in a row. I have a row contains 31 check box. I would like to add up how many check box the user check in that row and give me a total. (Example total 5 out of 31) Thanks for any help. Link the checkboxes to 31 cells, then use countif(range,true) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:102c901c3f431$a236c8a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I need help on adding up number of check mark box in a row. > I have a row contains 31 check box. I would like to add > up how many c...

I want to reference closed workbooks with combo boxes
Howdy, Is it possible to create a list in one workbook and then use anothe workbook with a combo box to reference it? I know how to reference single cell, but for some reason, when i try to do the same for a comb box, it says "Reference is invalid" or something along those lines. The reason i want to do it this way is so that updating the list ca change the list across an entire server rather than having to updat the list on individual computers.....this also brings me to a secon problem. When the list gets updated, the reference number change, so if i wa referencing Name!$A3 a...

Box next to Find icon on OL 2003 toolbar
Sorry, I started to write a message earlier which got posted before completing with an accidental keystroke. I use OL 2003 and have a box on my toolbar which shows up when I am accessing email and when accessing contacts. It is right next to the Find icon and has a field into which one can type letters and a drop-down arrow which reveals a list of contacts I have looked up. I understand the "Find" icon. It is a toggle which either reveals or hides another toolbar used for searching. However the box seens to have no usefulness. If I highlight a contact in the list and press ente...

Change font size in drop down validation lists
Is there a way to change the font size in the validation drop down list, as on some spreedsheets it is almost unreadable Hi no, but check out http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font for a workaround Cheers JulieD "Big Daddy" <Big Daddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48CBC74B-576B-4537-9720-CE8B400669E4@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to change the font size in the validation drop down list, > as > on some spreedsheets it is almost unreadable In data validation dropdown lists, you can't change the font size. There are a cou...

E-mail Excel worksheet based upon selection of combo box
I'm using the form toolbar combo-box with a pre-defined list that is on a hidden sheet. The list starts at 1, not 0. The goal that I am trying to reach is if a particular plant is selected in the combo-box (plant 1, plant 2, plant 3), when the e-mail button is clicked, it will send it to the person under that plant. I tried several different options including: Try 1: If ActiveSheet.Shapes("dd_plant").ListIndex = 2 Then .SendMail "melissa.werblan@omnova.com", "DP Routing Create/ Update/Change Form - Monroe", yes ElseIf ActiveSheet.Shapes("d...

I have accidently hidden all my drwing, text boxes, etc
I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How do i get them back? Thank you, Tonso On Jun 20, 10:32 am, Billy <wthoma...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see > them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I > might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How > do i get them back? > > Thank you, > >...

float Text and Combo box
I have some combo and text boxes at the top of file. Based on the selection of the combo I change the data displayed below this area. When I scroll down the data the combo and text boxes scroll off also. I want to be able to scroll through the data below and keep the combo boxes floating on top (like as in freezing frames). I've tried to mess with protecting the the sheet in combination with locking the objects, but that stops me from editing the combi itself. Any input would be greatly appreciated. You can make row 1 pretty high. Then put all your objects in row 1. Then sele...

Form Validation with Multiple Yes/No boxes
I have created a form which contains multiple Yes/No boxes. I wish to store the value of the records (both selected and not selected) in two separate tables. The "Yes" value records will be stored in my "Closed" table and the "No" value records will be stored in the "Open" table. I created a button which will open a pop-up dialog box for the user to enter a comment. I tried adding the code below to that button, but it only stores the first No (open) and the first Yes (closed) records. How can I have it loop through all the records on the screen...

DO NOT add any custom value to the Account PreferredContactMethod drop down.
Do not add any custom values to the Account PreferredContactMethod dropdown. If you do, the publish will fail with "object reference not set" in the Event Viewer. The FormXml and FieldXml in OrganizationUIBase will be well-formed but invalid for Crm. If you go back to customize the form you will be unable to edit the dropdown. You will get a Javascript error when you try to. To revert to the version before the change. Delete OrganizationUIBase where objecttypecode=1 and version=(select max(version) from OrganizationUIBase where objecttypecode=1) and re publish. The problem does n...

Email file does not retain same page content
The receiver of the email receives it with page 1 contents flowing onto page 2 . Page 2 picks up at end of the overflow and so on... Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice BizTalk: Incorporating conditional If / Else Functoid Logic in a map. http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f6fc20ab-5c6a-4f04-8a0b-bba39e4bbcf0/biztalk-incorporating-co.aspx <Jetty donaldson> wrote in message news:2010416115618jetreal@cox.net... > The receiver of the email receives it with page 1 contents flowing onto page > 2 . Page 2 picks up > at end of t...

Is it possible to Cond. Format a List box
Is it possible to format a list box , so as if one row has a zero balance is this field (Part of Script) [tblInvoice_ItMdt.TotalAmount FROM tblInvoice_ItMdt] I could change the colour of the font?...............Thanks for any help............Bob Bob, Access doesn't allow this natively, and I doubt that anyone has come up with a way to do it with a listbox. As far as I know, the closest you would get is to make a continuous view subform, and use conditional formatting on it. You could lay it out so it looks pretty much like a listbox... but of course if your listbox is multi...

Drop down lists #9
Hi all Was wondering if somebody could give me some clues on how to insert a drop down list into a cell (if this can be done) This list will contain the names of a numer of' stocks of which I need to select and display one Many thanks Alex Description here http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Alex McKenzie" <beach-house@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:j5I1f.10278$U51.8098@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Hi all > > Was wondering if somebody could give me some > clues on how to insert a ...

How can I get a table to autoflow to next text box?
I imported a table from Word that was bigger than the page in Publisher. I want the table to start flowing to the next textbox on the next page. The textboxes are already linked. Tables will not auto-flow to the next page. "aljam" <aljam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23F3A2F9-4375-41E5-998B-EFC9DC2FC525@microsoft.com... >I imported a table from Word that was bigger than the page in Publisher. I > want the table to start flowing to the next textbox on the next page. The > textboxes are already linked. ...

New registration failed and the account is no longer available
Hello, I tried to register a new account with the ID "sspo.test@hotmail.com". The page has blocked when trying to use the audio option for the security text so I had to close the browser window. When I am trying to re-provision the account now I get the message that sspo.test ID is no longer available. Can you please release the adress so I can retry to provision the account. Thank you kind, Laurentiu Cotescu Questions regarding Hotmail accounts and operation can be asked at http://windowslivehelp.com/ -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate ...

List boxes
I need to figure out if its possible to have multi-level list boxes. need a list box that has approximately 70 options; when you select on of the 70 options I need another list box (sub list?) to open giving u to 10 choices based on what was selected from the first list of 70 I've spent 2 hours searching for information on this and can't seem t correctly ask the question. It is basically a 2 level list box tha would work much like the Excel menu. The first level is genera categories. The second level needs to expand based on what you chose i the first level. Any help would be very app...

Printing contents of a Richedit control in a dialog?
I am running VC++ 6.0 on Win2K. I am trying to print the contents of a Richedit control in a dialog. I have tried to duplicate exactly what was described in Help for this particular operation, but, although I get no errors, my output is not sent to the printer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would it matter if I weren't trying to print to a network printer? Thanks, Phil My code: CMyDialog::PrintRich() { CPrintDialog dlg(FALSE); if (dlg.DoModal() == IDOK) { HDC hdc1 = dlg.GetPrinterDC(); FORMATRANGE fr; CDC prt; prt.Attach(hdc1); /...

OMA No longer working
We weren't even aware that any of our users were using OMA but it seems that it has been down for the past few months. We're gettiing the follow error messages after providing user credentials. It's running on the same server as our OWA box and is located in our DMZ running on a Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 Server. Any ideas on why it's now coming up with the following? Thanks for any info, Dan Server Error in '/OMA' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error oc...