longer drop down box content?

I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard form
fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of three
paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a drop-down box would
be the easiest excpet for the fact that the drop-down box only lets me put in
approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to
make the drop-down options longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?

I am using Word 2007

A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per
item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create
a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list
box back into the document. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_UserForm_ListBox.htm for an illustration
of this workaround and a sample download.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

BDankas wrote:
> I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
> form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
> three paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a
> drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
> drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs
> are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to make the drop-down options
> longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?
>
> I am using Word 2007

0
Jay
3/5/2010 5:39:34 PM
Does the method you provide include a way to input more than 50 characters?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per
> item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create
> a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list
> box back into the document. See
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_UserForm_ListBox.htm for an illustration
> of this workaround and a sample download.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.
>
> BDankas wrote:
> > I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
> > form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
> > three paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a
> > drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
> > drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs
> > are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to make the drop-down options
> > longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?
> >
> > I am using Word 2007
>

> .

Yes, it does. The list box or the combo box in a userform will accept
a large number of characters per entry. As an experiment, I've just
made a list box with one entry that contains 104 words that total 590
characters, and it works.

However, a list box or combo box will only display as many characters
as will fit in the width you give to the box. Even if you're willing
to make the box very wide, probably you could not see the whole entry.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:54:41 -0800, BDankas
<BDankas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does the method you provide include a way to input more than 50 characters?
>
>"Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
>> A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per
>> item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create
>> a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list
>> box back into the document. See
>> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_UserForm_ListBox.htm for an illustration
>> of this workaround and a sample download.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
>> all may benefit.
>>
>> BDankas wrote:
>> > I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
>> > form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
>> > three paragraphs to insert into the letter.  I was thinking a a
>> > drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
>> > drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words.  My paragraphs
>> > are approx. 70 words.  Is there a way to make the drop-down options
>> > longer?  Or, is there a better way to do this?
>> >
>> > I am using Word 2007
>>

>> .

0
Jay

Hyperlink on longer automatic
Word 2007 and Excell 2007, e-mail address no longer a hyperlink (automatically) as I type. Why? Also in 2007, where I go to to change the color and format of the hyperlinks (i.e. customize).- learning keeps you young Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, under "Replace as you type," select "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks." Click OK twice. To change the color of hyperlinks, modify the Hyperlink and FollowedHyperlink styles. -- Stefan ...

Combo box or list box
I can't figure out why the linked cell only returns a # value of the selected cell in the range. I just wanted it to return the actual text of the selection. I would think this would be the default, but I know nothing. Please help this is really frustrating. -- famdamly ------------------------------------------------------------------------ famdamly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29382 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500004 Hi! Well, that's how they work! You can use a Match or Lookup formula to...

Transparent Text Box Over Another
I am trying to place a semi-transparent text box over a document. The problem is that the text in the underlying boxes moves around the new box rather than staying fixed where they are. How can I fix this? Thanks, Cindy I'm curious - what do you mean by "semi-transparent"? Do you mean something like a watermark? -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "Cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42f201c42b90$6cf88d90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to place a semi-transparent text box over a > document. The problem is that...

Using Count Formual with checked boxes
Hello, (2nd Posting -- just in case the first request did not Post correctly) I have a form in Excel that has boxes within cells F8:F27. When you click on the box, it inputs a check mark. I would like to use a formula to count all boxes that are checked (actual check mark) Can anyone help me, please? -- Thanks, Annie Hi, If the boxes have been created through the option in the Forms menu, then one can supply a cell link cell in the Format control box. The cell link will display as TRUE when the box is checked. Then one can use the =countif(range,true) to count ...

Message Box 01-12-10
I have a form but need it to have a pop up box with certain conditions. Example: The message box will only pop up if reason code =1, platform= QL and Carrier=QLLAZBOY I would like the message box to pop if all of the above are true and say Please check elegibility on another platform. Is this possible if so please send me in the correct direction. thanks Hi LG, This should certainly be possible. The part I'm not entirely clear about is this statement: "Please check elegibility on another platform". Do you want to disallow the combination of reason code =1, platf...

template no longer blank
At some point I must have saved over a template so now when I open a "new" document the template appears with language. How can I delete this and return to a blank template? I've tried saving this to another file but have had no luck. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "baffled" <baffled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02A6D0A8-12EF-4730-8984-B3B56D4EE6CA@microsoft.com... > At some point I must have saved over a template so now when I open a "new" &...

URLs in Outlook 2007 no longer active
Using Windows Vista Business Edition with MS Office 2007 / Outlook 2007. A few weeks ago, Outlook was working fine ... notification messages from PHPBB included a clickable URL. Clicking the URL (blue & underscored) would open a PHPBB webpage containing the PHPBB message itself. Then after removing expired Anti-Virus program and installing AVG Free Anti-Virus ... the notification messages from PHPBB are no longer active, but still present and it still works on other PCs with the same Software installed. If the URL string is copied & pasted into an IE7 address bar the correct ...

Changing Data In a Drop Down Box
Okay, I'm very new to buttons, drops downs, etc. Here's my beginners question. I have a spreadsheet with a drop down box. I want to add an entry to it. How do I do this? Thanks SO MUCH for your help!! David Is this a dropdown menu in one of your menu bars, or is it a dropdown list in a cell? If it's a data validation dropdown list in a cell, choose Data>Validation, and see what the list source is. If the list is typed in the dialog box, add another item to the typed list. If the list is in a worksheet range, add your item to the worksheet list, and change the cell refe...

Filter Combo Box Listing
I have a form with the first four fields named "FirstName", "LastName", Phone", and EmailAddress". The field "EmaiAddress" is a combo box. The row source for this CBO is a table named Email. The table Email has five fields: "EmailID (PK), "FirstName", "LastName", "FullName" (first and last name concatenated), and "EmaiAddress". When I first open the form to enter NEW information, I key in the FirstName, LastName, and Phone fields. I then tab to the fourth field called EmailAddress (the CBO). I&...

vs toolkit
hi, I'm using visual studio toolkit, vb is my language. i have created a local field that is a drop down list in a modified form in GP. I'm trying to access the selected value of the field in visual studio add in by this code: modifiedform.fielddropdownlist.value modifiedform.fielddropdownlist.value.tostring This both returns the selected index of the drop down field, how can I retrieve the selected value just like in win forms like: modifiedform.fielddropdownlist.selecteditem.text This is causing error, it dex bridge does not recognize method selected item. Thanks ...

Scanner & Camera Wizard no longer works
Hi All, Whenever I'd plug my camera into my pc, the wizard would start and made downloading the pictures & any video files I had very simple. I have NO idea what has happened or what I did but all of a sudden the wizard no longer starts when I plug my camera in. I've tried the following; Open Explorer, found the camera, r/click and selected Properties, then selcted Event Tab and selected Start Microsoft Scanner and Camera wizard. Plugged my camera back in, turned it on and nothing... the program did not start. Opened Control Panel, Scanner & Camera, plug...

Publisher Templates no longer availiable for selection?
This has been going on for a few months... I need a solution though. When I create a new document, I no longer have the option to select a template... unless I do it from the 'change' template method once the Blank document is created. This in itself I can live with. But MY Templates.... ones that I created are no longer available. I can browse to the template directory... but that's not a real solution. Have I checed a wrong option somewhere? Why would MY Templates disappear and how can I get them back? -- It was on fire when I sat down on it... That's my sto...

Landed Cost
Even though this may go against the intent of the Landed Cost feature in Microsoft Dynamics GP, I would like to suggest including the ability to add a Landed Cost to a drop ship PO. The landed cost feature is a potential workaround for adding other costs to an item, like use tax, but it isn't currently available with drop ships. Thank you. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow t...

WLMail no longer signing in automatically
I can no longer sign in to WLMail automatically after start up. The sign in box appears with my e-mail address entered when I open WLM after a reboot (with remember password ticked). After entering password and signing in, I can then open WLM automatically without problems, until the next reboot/restart. Using CCleaner as a cookie manager, I have made sure that anything relating to "live" is in the "Cookies to keep" column. Similarly, my .net passport is removed in the same way (although passport.net is a retained cookie). Had a similar problem before ...

make box not visable
I need a code for On click box 35 not visiable. Thanks Cheyenne Me.[Box 35].Visible = False "Chey" <Chey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0611BFB3-BCB9-4C84-8E18-277D33782A5C@microsoft.com... >I need a code for > On click > box 35 not visiable. > > Thanks > Cheyenne In the 'Onclick Event' add Me.Box 35.visible=false -- NTC "Chey" wrote: > I need a code for > On click > box 35 not visiable. > > Thanks > Cheyenne ...

Missing payees in drop down list
I'm using Money Plus and I can't bring over new payees to the drop down list when adding a transaction. All payees are in the payee list in "account tools/catagories&payees" but they don't show up in the drop down list. However if I manually start to type them in, auto complete will show them. I've tried changing the name, deleting, and adding as new, but neither option brings them to the drop down list. Any help is appreciated. I've managed to discover my error. When looking in my Account Register and seeing Payees in question I noticed as I right c...

can't resize a text box basic
I am creating some software flow diagrams. I add a box and try to add some text. I want the text to be on the box but it ends up being really long and I can't figure out how to re-size it. It ends up being too long. It disappears when I go back to working with the box. When I go to text mode then the text box is too long but I can't figure out how to delete it or resize it to fit on my box. Then I go back to the shape mode and the text box disappears. tia, Hello J, Have a look at this post: http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/08/15/694710.aspx If you haven't come a...

Word 2007 - Windows 7
We generate reports that contain still images of AVI animations. It used to be that we could drag and drop the AVI file into the document and a graphic image would appear; now all we get is an icon. I believe this occurred as the result of an upgrade to Window2 7 form XP SP2. We'd like to retain embedding the video as it can then be activated by a click should the reader decide to do that, but what happened to the still image? I expect it's something really stupid that I've forgotten, but you never know... ...

No longer going into Hibernate.
Hi, I am running a Windows 7 Professional x64 system that used to go into Hibernation without any problems. However, since replacing my system drive with a SSD, my computer will no longer go into Hibernation. Rather, it just goes to the lock screen. The SSD is the drive on which Windows us located. The SSD is seen as a removable drive. Could this be the issue? My complete system settings are included in my signature. Thank you. -- BadHead :) --- OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3 ---------------------------...

Can no longer load Outlook 2000
I have Windows 98 and have been running Outlook 2000, with no problems, for a year. Now, all of a sudden, the Outlook startup screen comes up and then it freezes. Don't know that my computer specs matter, but: 160 MB RAM, Cyrix II processor Have you done a Detect/Repair? Tried closing any other running apps? David "Claudia" <claudia64@excite.com> wrote in message news:000b01c364da$8bf9d500$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have Windows 98 and have been running Outlook 2000, with > no problems, for a year. Now, all of a sudden, the > Outlook startup screen comes up a...

cannot get dialog box to disappear
I continue to get an hour glass and cannot get dialog box to disappear. I t continually asks to grant access or not. "bud" <bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F59F186-CD12-4122-AEB0-1250DE5D7933@microsoft.com... >I continue to get an hour glass and cannot get dialog box to disappear. I t > continually asks to grant access or not. What dialogue box? What version of Outlook? What account type? What are you trying to do? What is asking? Rather a lack of details here. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

user form drop down box
I am creating a user-form for data entry into a particular worksheet. For one of the fields I'd like to have a drop down box (which I can figure out how to get there) with two choices to pick from (which I can't figure out how to get the choices to show up). Can someone please tell me how to get the choices to show up in the drop down box of a user form? Thank you, Glenn Hi Glenn Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() With Me.ComboBox1 .Style = fmStyleDropDownList .AddItem "Beer" .AddItem "Cerveza" .ListIndex = 1 End With End Sub HTH. Best wishes ...

Display cell contents in a text box (shape) and linking
Dear Experts: below macro grabs the contents of cell B7 and displays it in a text box (shape, not a control!). How do I have to re-write the code to have the contents of the cell linked to the contents of the shape. That is, whenever the cell contents changes, the contents of the text box is to be updated as well. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Sub AddTextBox() ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextBox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 97.5, 28.5, 96.75 _ , 17.25).Select Selection.Characters.Text = Range("B7") With Sel...

Forms Combo Box
Does anyone know haw to make the Forms Combo box font bigger?? No can do. You could try the Controls toolbox one, but not recommended if usin several controls because these ones are very buggy. More properties more trouble -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...