Locking Field position on screen.

I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across and
3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the
field positions in place on the screen.  When I type in a field, the field to
the left moves. I need to lock the position.  Can this be done.
Frank

Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:75853610-CF99-47AF-9FED-28CA50444089@microsoft.com...
>I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across
>and
> 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the
> field positions in place on the screen.  When I type in a field, the field
> the left moves. I need to lock the position.  Can this be done.
> Frank

0
Suzanne
4/26/2010 10:09:27 PM
Good Morning,
I had a feeling that this should be done using tables, but I can't figure
out how to create a table in a form.  Any help?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:75853610-CF99-47AF-9FED-28CA50444089@microsoft.com...
> >I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across
> >and
> > 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the
> > field positions in place on the screen.  When I type in a field, the field
> > the left moves. I need to lock the position.  Can this be done.
> > Frank
> >

> .

A form is just a document like any other - though protected to allow only
the fields to be accessed. If you unprotect the form you can insert a table
from the Insert  tab. Then move your fields to the cells of the table. When
you are happy protect the form again.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

wrote in message news:15B3810B-001F-49EE-BB52-F95FFFB0AA08@microsoft.com...
> Good Morning,
> I had a feeling that this should be done using tables, but I can't figure
> out how to create a table in a form.  Any help?
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> >I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields
>> >across
>> >and
>> > 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock
>> > the
>> > field positions in place on the screen.  When I type in a field, the
>> > field
>> > the left moves. I need to lock the position.  Can this be done.
>> > Frank
>> >

>> .

0
Graham

Need to see more of day's appointments on small screen
I am using Outlook 2007 on a netbook-sized laptop with a fairly hi-rez screen. With the time-scale set to 30 minutes, I see too little of my day -- only 4.5 hours. Moreover, each time slot is ridiculously overwide. I see more on my smartphone than my laptop. Ideally, I would like one day in two columns. Is there another way to see more of my day and get the 30-minute info? You can show more time slots by turning off toolbars etc to make the window higher. Outlook doesn't support 2 column days or zooming the view. The window width is controlled by the width of the nav...

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Change Field Caption
Is there a way to change the text on field labels? For instance, I want to use the Requested By field in POP for something else. Can I set GP to replace the text “Requested By” with something else across the board, and in SmartList? Thanks. Scott Not sure about SmartList but changing the text field to say Requested By is very simple. Open the POP window... go to tools - customize - modify current window (depending on your gp version) and change it. Then grant access to the modified window. "Scott Ferrar" wrote: > Is there a way to change the text on field labels? ...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

URL type string field 'hack' in 3.0 possible?
Hi all, Our client had a requirement in 1.2 to have a field of type URL that would bring up a Windows Explorer window when clicked. For example, the URL field would contain the string "file:///C:\Customers". When doubled click it would display an Explorer window with the folder location to C:\Customers in a new window. When trying to duplicate this in 3.0, there is a pop up that displays, "Invalid protocol. Only HTTP and HTTPS are allowed in this field". I've tried searching all CRM specific javascript files in the file system to see if there is an occurrence to thi...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

How to autopopulate a field based on other field values?
Hello all, I am looking for any pointers that you might have on how to have a field autopopulate based on values from other fields. Here is an example: In working with leads, I want to distinguish between qualified and unqualified leads. (Qualified means that they have the necessary profile we are looking for, but does not include whether they are actually interested in our specific solution. If they show interest, then we move them to an opportunity) Anyway, I want to add some additional fields to leads to show: - what the title of the lead contact is - whether the lead has a specif...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

Word Form / Fields or VBA / calculate on print
I have a Word 2003 form in which USERS enter "earned income" amounts in fields and when they click outside the field, the total calculates using a formula in a different table cell. The formula will show the sum total amount of all "earned income" entered in the above table cells/input fields when the field "calculates on exit" properly. My problem is that Users are entering their final "earned income" amount, and then (WITHOUT clicking outside the cell/field), the USER hits PRINT, which does not let the field "calculate on exit"...

Changing System Required fields into Bussiness Recommended
Hi all, Is there any possibility to change a System Required field into a Bussiness Recommended one ? I would like to do it with 'customerid' from opportunity entity. Thanks, Hugo ...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

Link child fields & Link master fields
Link child fields Link master fields I'm use this code to link master form and sub form Me.subclient.LinkMasterFields = "Text6" Me.subclient.LinkChildFields = "text7" The code work correctly What I want I want to remove the link I'm use this code but not work Me.subclient.LinkMasterFields = "" Me.subclient.LinkChildFields = "" What happen No record will display in the subform client Is there any way to display all records after remove the link > > What I want > > I want to remove the link I'm use this code but n...

Recovering from Split Screen
While preparing a test procedure containing a summary of test results in an appendix, I use Split Screen to view the test results and the relevant procedure in order to insert cross-references. I'm modifying the document in both views. When I close the Split Screen view by double-clicking the Split bar, what determines which view of the document is discarded? In practice, sometimes I'm left in the procedure and sometimes in the test results. I always have the procedure view above and the results view below. Does anyone know whether this is a 50:50, or how to force one vie...

adjusting attachment position
When inserting an attachment it is appearing in the main body of the email. Is there a setting so that the default setting is for the attachment to appear in the "attachment" window of the email header section? Change your message format from Rich Text to Plain Text or HTML -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "wunjo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:065901c4a5d6$ea92f360$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Wh...

Linking Outlook fields from the "Contact Folder" to a custom form in Outlook...
Using Exchange Server 2003/Outlook 2003, we have created a custom Help Desk form in Outlook. We would like the ability to link specific fields from the Contacts Folder, in a drop-down list box if possible. We are far from knowing that something like this is even possible. Would appreciate *any* suggestions. Thank you. Try outlookcode.com or the program_forms or program_vba newsgroup. "Jeff" <wolfcg@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166997847.011514.163470@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com... > Using Exchange Server 2003/Outlook 2003, we have created a custom Help > Desk...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Copy a calculated field from a pivot table
I have 2 pivot tables on 2 different worksheets in a workbook based off of the same raw data from a 3rd worksheet. I created many calculated fields in one of the pivot table and I want to use the same ones in the second. Can I copy the details of those fields into the second pivot table without having to set them up all over again? They do not show in the list of calculated fields created. Thanks, Sheryl You could programmatically copy the calculated fields from one pivot table to another, for example: '==================== Sub CreateCalsFields() Dim pt As PivotTable Dim pf As Pivo...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...

Can't get past welcome screen
I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of programmes that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to start past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then logs off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I've tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893 but this does not help. Any other ideas? On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:00:01 -0800, Sam Wardill <SamWardill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recently used a startup mana...

Where am I being locked out?!
This is an unusual problem and I'm hoping someone will have come across something similar before. Before I start I should state that I've hardly used Windows Server or Active Directory, so go easy on me if this is something obvious! I am having my account locked out on a daily basis. I know that this isn't to do with my machine as it happens even if I get my account unlocked and wait a day without turning my machine on I still can't log on the day after. I'm pretty sure it's a piece of software that I've installed somewhere that keeps trying to con...

copy custom task with custom fields
I have created a custom "task folder" with custom column fields. However, when I try to copy this to the public folders (Outlook 2k3, Exchange Small Biz 2k3), I lose all formatting I have set up. Is there a way to copy this folder and formatting so it is available to all users? Without creating it locally on each users machine? Thanks. What exactly did you copy, and how? What formatting are you referring = to?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programmin...

Require a field in search form
I have a search form with the following code in the search button's OnClick event. It works great as long as the user selects one or more items in the multi-select list box [lstStationID]. If nothing is selected, the where string has unneccsary characters on the end of it. So, I think I could do one of two things: 1) If nothing is selected, have code that chops off more characters at the end of the where string or 2) require the user to select one or more items and have a message box appear if the user clicks the search button without selecting anything. However, I am having ...