Letters in Equations

I'm trying to use Word 2007's built-in equation functionality, but often 
times when I try to type a letter in an equation (e.g. y=2x), the letters (so 
the y and the x) just show up as boxes. The only way it seems I can get it 
working is to copy and paste from a previous equation that worked with 
letters, clear out the irrelevant equation and type in the new one. However, 
I feel there MUST be a better way of doing this. Any help would be 
appreciated.
0
Utf
11/28/2009 3:35:01 PM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1392 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 55

The 'old' equation editor is included with Office 2007 and works just as 
before. It is not installed by default so you will need to re-run Office 
setup from the Windows add or remove programs applet to add it. You can then 
insert as an object as in earlier versions.

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


elijahjt wrote:
> I'm trying to use Word 2007's built-in equation functionality, but
> often times when I try to type a letter in an equation (e.g. y=2x),
> the letters (so the y and the x) just show up as boxes. The only way
> it seems I can get it working is to copy and paste from a previous
> equation that worked with letters, clear out the irrelevant equation
> and type in the new one. However, I feel there MUST be a better way
> of doing this. Any help would be appreciated. 


0
Graham
11/29/2009 7:44:28 AM
Hi,

Graham's solution may be exactly what you want, but since I am happily using 
the Word 2007 Equation Editor, I would like to try to help you use it also. 
To add an inline equation such as y = 2x as you are tying a sentence, do just 
the following and nothing else unless you want to add something to the 
equation.
1. Press Alt+=.
2. Type y=2x (with no spaces).
3. Press End.
4. Continue typing the rest of your sentence.

To add a "display" equation (an equation on a separate line), do as follows.
1. Press Enter.
2. Type y=2x (with no spaces).
3. Press End.
4. Press Enter.

-- 
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz 


"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> The 'old' equation editor is included with Office 2007 and works just as 
> before. It is not installed by default so you will need to re-run Office 
> setup from the Windows add or remove programs applet to add it. You can then 
> insert as an object as in earlier versions.
> 
> -- 
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
> 
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> 
> 
> elijahjt wrote:
> > I'm trying to use Word 2007's built-in equation functionality, but
> > often times when I try to type a letter in an equation (e.g. y=2x),
> > the letters (so the y and the x) just show up as boxes. The only way
> > it seems I can get it working is to copy and paste from a previous
> > equation that worked with letters, clear out the irrelevant equation
> > and type in the new one. However, I feel there MUST be a better way
> > of doing this. Any help would be appreciated. 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
11/29/2009 10:12:01 AM
Hi again,

Oops! I left out a step for creating a "display" equation. The correct steps 
are:

To add a "display" equation (an equation on a separate line), do as follows.
1. Press Enter.
2. Press Alt+=.
3. Type y=2x (with no spaces).
4. Press End.
5. Press Enter.

-- 
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz 


"Pesach Shelnitz" wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Graham's solution may be exactly what you want, but since I am happily using 
> the Word 2007 Equation Editor, I would like to try to help you use it also. 
> To add an inline equation such as y = 2x as you are tying a sentence, do just 
> the following and nothing else unless you want to add something to the 
> equation.
> 1. Press Alt+=.
> 2. Type y=2x (with no spaces).
> 3. Press End.
> 4. Continue typing the rest of your sentence.
> 
> To add a "display" equation (an equation on a separate line), do as follows.
> 1. Press Enter.
> 2. Type y=2x (with no spaces).
> 3. Press End.
> 4. Press Enter.
> 
> -- 
> Hope this helps,
> Pesach Shelnitz 
> 
> 
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
> 
> > The 'old' equation editor is included with Office 2007 and works just as 
> > before. It is not installed by default so you will need to re-run Office 
> > setup from the Windows add or remove programs applet to add it. You can then 
> > insert as an object as in earlier versions.
> > 
> > -- 
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> > Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
> > 
> > My web site www.gmayor.com
> > Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> > 
> > 
> > elijahjt wrote:
> > > I'm trying to use Word 2007's built-in equation functionality, but
> > > often times when I try to type a letter in an equation (e.g. y=2x),
> > > the letters (so the y and the x) just show up as boxes. The only way
> > > it seems I can get it working is to copy and paste from a previous
> > > equation that worked with letters, clear out the irrelevant equation
> > > and type in the new one. However, I feel there MUST be a better way
> > > of doing this. Any help would be appreciated. 
> > 
> > 
> > .
> > 
0
Utf
11/29/2009 10:15:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Collection Letter
Hi there, for example I build a query 31-45 and it display the aging period as follow: 0-30 days = $1,975 31-45 days = $375 46-60 days = $0 61-75 days = $2,250 76-90 days = $0 91-120 days = $0 When I build the collection letter, and view it, it displayed the overdue balance of $4,600 (which is the total of all the balance). How can I change it so that it display only the overdue balance within the 31-45 days bucket? Thank you in advance. ...

Letter Writing Assistant should let me email the letters.
When sending out letters to Customers etc. it would be much more cost effective if we were able to email the letters in lieu of mailing them. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us...

Column labels show digits instead of letter
Can anyone pls tell me why ? And how to fix this. Thanks Jenni Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'R1C1 reference style' >-----Original Message----- >Can anyone pls tell me why ? >And how to fix this. > >Thanks >Jenni > > >. > ...

How do I stop bullet letter (a, b, c) from turning greek?
When I create a document in which I have used letters for bulletted lists (ie, a), b), c) etc), when I print or reopen it, the letters have changed to Greek characters alpha, beta etc. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks very much. Wow, I cannot duplicate this in any version of Publisher. Maybe you are using a different type font. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "allythegeek" <allythegeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD4415-6A6E-4EA1-97BD-0FF22ADFBB5A@microsoft.com... &...

What file stores my letters
I am going to format my hard drive and I want to keep my letters. what extension do I need to copy and in what folder are they in. BTW, my address is book as well. Thank you, Berto Try search. Asked and answered about a hundred times a month "Berto" <Albertocarro@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1t3vd.94941$EZ.18536@okepread07... > I am going to format my hard drive and I want to keep my letters. what > extension do I need to copy and in what folder are they in. BTW, my address > is book as well. > > Thank you, > > Berto > > ...

Letter of Credits & Letter of Guarantee
Hello... Is there any module in Great Plains that handles Letter of Credits and Letter of Guarantee Thanks Tareq Not exactly. I suppose you could find a place in POP and SOP to store the L/C number. You could build fairly complicated applications using Extender. What is your requirement? HS "Tareq" <Tareq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A1043B4-516C-4F38-901A-F21612C53ED3@microsoft.com... > Hello... > Is there any module in Great Plains that handles Letter of Credits and > Letter of Guarantee > > Thanks > Tareq Hello HSalim... Th...

Letter to a contact
In Outlook 2000, our office would like to select 1 contact from the address book and have info feed into a custom letter format (with our margins, indents, etc.) in Word, and then type the body text Is this automation possible? Thank you! ...

first letter to upper
Hello Please can you tell me how to change only the first letter of the first word in a cell, to upper case but not the other words. (Excel 03) Ta D Assuming A1 has your data, just use the following in B1 (or wherever) =UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1) Hi With your data in A1 enter in B1 =PROPER(A1) Copy down as required. Then, copy column B>Paste Special>Values only to "fix" the formulae to values. Column A can then be deleted (if required) -- Regards Roger Govier Dingbat wrote: > Hello > Please can you tell me how to change on...

Form letter?
Hi, We send out a satisfaction survey each week and I thought I could save my administrative assistant some time by eliminating the mail merge step and just create the form letter out of SSRS. Right from the get-go I'm struggling. What is the best way to add the boiler plate text to the report? Do I simply add a bunch of text boxes? Since this is a survey there are check boxes and numbers to circle and so forth so formatting looks to be complicated. What is the best way to handle that? Is it possible to simply import a Word document? And finally, if these other qu...

sum letters with values and numbers
I have a time sheet that where I want to do various totals. When it's hours worked, no problem. This department also uses letters (P, V, H) to indicate time off with pay (personal, vacation, holiday). They would also like to use the lower case version to indicate half a day. How do a get a sum or sumif function to see the letters as their numeric equivalent and total them with the other numbers entered? I know this is probably overly simple for this site, but I can't find it in the Help section or I can't phrase the question will enough for Help to find my answ...

Upper Case Letters to First Letter Upper, Remaining Letters Lower
How is this done in Excel 2007? Use the proper function. =Proper(A1) -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "SueW" wrote: > How is this done in Excel 2007? The formula =PROPER(A1) will make every first letter of each word upper case and the rest of each word lower case. A1 is the cell you want changed to upper/lower. So QUICK BROWN FOX becomes Quick Brown Fox. If you wanted "Quick brown fox," that cannot be done via formula. A period may or may not be the end of a sentence, and certain words in the middle of a sentence may need to be capitalized, s...

Capital letters beginning with each paragraph
Hello, Outlook automatically capitalizes the letters when I hit the paragraph button. I think it is a setting in my spell check, but I could not find it. Thanks. "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:eZqHXk6hJHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Outlook automatically capitalizes the letters when I hit the paragraph > button. > I think it is a setting in my spell check, but I could not find it. You don't state your Outlook version or which editor you're using. For Outlok 2003 using Word's built-in editor, click Tools>Options>Spellin...

Convert Column number to a letter? e.g. Column 203 = GU
Given that I know how many columns are in a spreadsheet - how do I convert that to a letter? e.g. ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count = 203 I need to refer to that column in this code Range:("A1:" & ??? & ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Select where ??? has been translated from 203 to GU The number of columns and rows varies. Thanks Mich Sub test() Dim cc As Integer cc = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count Range("A1:" & GetColLet(cc) & ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Select MsgBox "range selected is " & Selection.Address End Sub Fu...

While printing Edwardian Script ITC, some letters are dropped.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel The letter &quot;o&quot; is being dropped from the print. Looks fine on the screen and in print preview. <br><br>Is there a way to fix? Or do I just need to choose another font? The first thing I'd suggest is that you make your way to the printer mfr's web site to search for an updated driver. If the character renders on screen but the printer refuses to produce it that's the most likely cause. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/12/10 11:44 PM, in arti...

unsaved letter
I need to find a unsaved letter I wrote 3-4 days ago. If you didn't save the letter, there is no way to get it back. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "brinda" <brinda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:268DEB7A-1AC6-4E17-9B1A-BD99D8B49619@microsoft.com... >I need to find a unsaved letter I wrote 3-4 days ago. ...

Dynamics-GP should allow email merge from Letter Writing Asst
When using the Letter Writing Assistant in Great Plains, it would be much more useful if we were able to do an email merge to send out the letters, rather than only being able to print and mail them. Having a email merge would save us quite a bit of time and effort. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then ...

Letter
Hi On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:48:18 -0700, "Lizza R" <Domingo@aol.com> wrote: >Hi Lizza, if you're looking for a chat room this isn't one. It's a technical support forum for people working with data entry Forms in Microsoft Access. If you're looking to chat please seek elsewhere. If you want to find out how to write a letter, a Word newsgroup might be better - but you'll have to ask in a meaningful way. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Removing Letters and Dashes
I learned here from one of you geniuses a nifty trick of how to display only a number when there are also letters in the cell. I learned that if I have in cell A1 the value of =93P100C=94 and, I type in another cell, =3DLOOKUP(9.9E+307,--LEFT(MID(A1,--LEFT(MIN(FIND ({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"01=AD23456789"))),LEN(A1)),ROW($1:$99))), the result will be 100. I would also love to be able to do the following: 1) If cell A1 is =93A22k55-77=94, I would like the formula in another cell to return the value 225577 (all the numbers in cell A1) 2) If cell A1 is =93A22k55-77=9...

Wireless keyboard letters does not activate letters
Wireless keyboard only activates numbers, not letters. Not a Word issue but a keyboard issue. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "captjack1629" <captjack1629@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE24050A-C0A9-46E7-8829-49C50FA9B7E4@microsoft.com... > Wireless keyboard only activates numbers, not letters. > ...

Separate letters and numbers in postcode
Hi, hopefully this one will be an easy one for the excel masters! Ok - I have a postcode portion eg. WA1 2TT eg. W1 eg. N22 eg. RM11 And I want just to return WATT, W, N, RM for e.g. above Must be easy - surely -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe someone else can give you a standard worksheet solution, but cannot thing of one. You can however do it with a User Define Function (UDF). - Open up the Visual Basic Editor (Tools | Macros | Visual Basi Editor). - Right click on your workbook in the Project explorer and selec Insert | Module. - Paste the following code...

Initiate Letters from Outlook without the MS Word Letter Wizard
I would like Outlook to initiate a letter, fax, etc. from my Word templates using Outlook Contact information. I would like the letter to be an independent document (no residual data fields) that is included in the Contact Activities like the phone and e-mail events are logged. ...

Letter Writing Assistant
I found that in version 9 there is a known issue that the 2nd collection letter does not show the detail unless you run it through the customer card, but this is fixed in SP3. What if "prepare a collection letter" is not an option from the customer card? I have checked security (not advanced security verifying reports>sales>collection letters is marked). Any other thoughts? ...

Newbie question
Sorry guys but I've tried searching and this question must be so dumb it isn't even worthy of a prior post. Anyway, I'm fiddling with data (question to be asked later) and somehow my displayed column headings are now numbers. Before they were letters. So when I click on a cell (e.g. first cell is now listed as R1C1) but I want it listed as A1. What did I do to make it this way. Even opening up a new spreadsheet displays the same column number. I'm asking because I know future formulas will be more difficult and most folks have it listed as column letters. ...

letter writting assistant
An option to restrict the running of Macros in Letter Writing Assistant would be great. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=38d11561-3301-49cd-b938-4bedaad89a19...

Graphic Lettering
Where can I find a place that has fancy lettering templates? I want to make a stencil. All over the web. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "LisaFriedland" <LisaFriedland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D7C7849-4707-4C98-9BC0-64B52875162E@microsoft.com... > Where can I find a place that has fancy lettering templates? I want to > make a > stencil. http://www.1001freefonts.com/ -- Mike Hall MS-MVP Windows Shell/User "LisaFriedland" <LisaFriedland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D7C7849-4707-4C...