justifying text

How do I remove the extra spaces on a line when I justify text?  I want to
full justify and ctrl+J does not do it.

Thanks
Abbylady

What extra spaces? Do you mean the extra space between letters and words? If
so... then are you sure you really want justified text? Extra space between
letters and word are how Word accomplishes justification. With
proportionally spaced characters and  uneven amounts of text on each line,
justification requires it.

There are different justification methods that can be selected using Word
options... Perhaps one of them will give you something closer to what you
want. If you're using Word 2007, try Office button - Word Options -
Advanced - Layout options (bottom of the Advanced section), and look for
options that mention justification, such as "Do full justification the way
WordPerfect 6.x for Windows does".

Hyphenation can also affect the amount of spacing you see. If hyphenation is
turned off, try turning it on to see if that provides a better result. In
Word 2007, hyphenation is found in the Page Layout ribbon tab.

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Abbylady" <Abbylady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I remove the extra spaces on a line when I justify text?  I want to
> full justify and ctrl+J does not do it.
>
> Thanks
> Abbylady

0
Herb

Find cells that contain text
Hi, as part of a loop I am trying to find cells that contain a string and then copy some adjacent cells into another sheet. I can do the copy part no problem but I am struggling with finding the string, I am using the InStr command but not sure if I ma making this to complicated, this is code I am struggling with : If InStr(string, Cells(bb, 65)) = 1 Then With string being the string I am searching for and bb being the row number and part of the loop The formula will recognise a complete string, but not part of string i.e. String = abcd_ Cell contains abcd_ match and I ca...

Right clicking on text does not bring up hyperlink option
I want to add a hyperlink to another area in my Excel workbook. On one sheet when I right click on text that I want to add the hyperlink to, I don't get the hyperlink option. It has the following: cut copy paste paste special __________ insert page break reset all page breaks insert delete clear contents __________ insert comment __________ format cells set print area reset print area page setup There is no hyperlink option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. The cell menu (the one you get when you rightclick on a cell) is different if you're in View|Normal or View|Page break previ...

find text in a formula
ok, I have a sheet that has two basic types of formulas: =U10-P10 =U3-SUM(P3:P5) The simpler one always stays the same relative to the row. The one with the sum function however can be 2 or more rows. I want to be able to highlight the ones that have the Sum function in it. I have tried all kinds of things with conditional formatting, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? -- Joker "...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me." Gen. 21:6 If you highlight the complete worksheet by CTRL-A, you can then use Find & Replace (CTRL-H) to replace ...

Text Size
Is there any way to change text size from within Money 2004? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=136. "George Ellis" <ge1293@Mindspring.com> wrote in message news:18d9701c41b64$6b08b9b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to change text size from within Money > 2004? ...

How do I center the text vertically

Text verify and transfer to another cell
I need a function to check a cell for text (general data) and if it exists in one cell transfer (copy) to another cell...for example cell A2 is blank so the cell F2 is also blank, however if A2 has data in it say N 90-00-00 W then the same would be reflected in cell F2... I'm great with number conversions and computations but text strings and general data baffle me. Thank you for your efforts... -- jgbadingerjr Try this in cell F2: =IF(A2="","",A2) Whatever is entered into A2 will also appear in F2. Hope this helps. Pete jgbadingerjr wrote: > I need a fun...

Font set for reading plain text
I've set Courier as the font to read and compose plain text message. However, I don't have idea why my Outlook showed with Arial rather than Courier. The message was from Yahoo account. It seems no difference where messages came from. Can Outlook show plain text message with the font that I set? Thanks, Charles OL2003 SP2 on XP Pro SP2 ...

text parser
Hello NG, I want to split my text into several lines, because I only have a fix number of characters per line. My variant cuts words after X character: "Hello my sweet darl" next line "ing". Do you know a simple text parser that splits my text more legible? Thanks for help Guido Guido Franzke wrote: > Hello NG, > > I want to split my text into several lines, because I only have a fix number > of characters per line. My variant cuts words after X character: "Hello my > sweet darl" next line "ing". Do you know a simple text parser t...

How to select nodes where text is not empty?

Need to look up text in a cell
I need to find either a formula or a script that will find certain text in a cell and then add a number to a counter based on that text. What I have so far is something like: =IF(cellA="text", (cellB+1), ("")) What I want is: If cell A contains certain text, then add 1 to cell B, if not then do nothing. Thanks, Paul One way to experiment with .. Iteration Settings ------------------------- Click Tools > Options > Calculation tab Check "Iteration" Input a "1" in the "Max iterations" and "Max change" boxes Click OK Not...

Change of Text Field from "Text" to Empty "Lookup"
Hi, MOPS 2007 with SP2. I have recently experienced two occasions with two seperate schedules where all the text fields have changed their input criteria from normal "text" to a blank lookup table. This has removed all the data that was previously in the fields. This appears to have happened automatically. Project Professional users have not changed the settings in their files. The administrator claims not to have changed any settings in global. Furthermore, the administrator is now claiming that local macros are probably causing this, without explaining how it happ...

How do I get a consistent justified text alignment?
Some paragraphs of justified text display different to others. Some display very well whereas others stretch a few words out across a whole line and look hideous. Why is it that it works nicely in some parts of the document and not in others? Turn on Special Characters (�). You may have a soft return (shift+enter) or an errant tab. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Karyn" <Karyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF8CA8F6-DD06-4942-82AB-D341DA6D3787@microsoft.com... > Some paragraphs of justified text display different to others. ...

modify text in CComboBox
Hello, I have a CComboBox. I wanted to modify the text of one entry. So I made: myCComboxBox.SetDlgItemText(mySel, "Some new text"); But nothing changed. What I missed? Regards, -- William "William Dauchy" <wdauchy@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:2ce5b9bb-012e-48a5-a188-4d22b6175236@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > I have a CComboBox. I wanted to modify the text of one entry. > So I made: > > myCComboxBox.SetDlgItemText(mySel, "Some new text"); > > But nothing changed. You may try to call CComboBox :: DeleteString to rem...

scroll bar on text field
I have a vertical scroll bar on a text field. This is fine and I want it there when there is alot of text in the field. However, I dont want it there when there are only a couple of words in the field. Is there any way to get the scroll bar to show only when it is needed? Thanks Penny Decide how many characters you want in the textbox before you need the scrollbar to appear, then use this code, replacing the 20 with the number of characters you want: Private Sub Form_Current() If Len(Me.YourTextBox) > 20 Then YourTextBox.ScrollBars = 2 Else YourTextBox.ScrollBars = 0 End...

Quoting part of text?
Ive been using TheBat by ritlabs for some time now. Just started usin outlook 2003. In TheBat I can highlight text in a email I received an quote just that text in my reply then just type my response underneat it. Is there a way to do this in outlook 2003 ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Darrin <Darrin.116xq1@outlookforum.com> wrote: > Ive been using TheBat by ritlabs for some time now. Just started using > outlook 2003. In TheBat I can highlig...

How do I link a picture to a text cell
Hi everyone, I must warn you all I am fairly new to excel so please reply in terms a novice would be able to understand, Thanks :) This is what I am trying to achieve: I have a list box with 10 possible selections, lets say for example that 'Apple' was a selection, If I choose 'Apple' I would like a picture of an apple to appear in a different cell range, and if I was to choose 'Pear' I would like the 'Apple' picture to be replaced by a 'Pear' picture. Does this make sense ? :confused: Any help would be much appreciated. Mark...... :) -- Chippy_...

Formating text in a text field
Does anyone have any ideas on how to add a blank space between fields being mapped to a text field? I have 4 fields I want to pull into one field with a space between each one. No HTML code works, is there a way to create the blank space So my workflow will map 3-4 fields to a text field but I would like a space between the values. insert value 1 (no problem) need to insert a space insert value 2 need to insert space insert value 3 Denzel Workflow assembly can deliver the functionallity you need. Check SDK for a sample. Hope this helps, Jevgenij "Denzel" <Denzel@discuss...

vertically center text in merged cells?
Hello, I have two merged cells, A10 & A11. When I enter text into the merged cell and try and center it, the text is only centered in the horizontal plane. This leaves a gap in the merged cell above the text and looks unattractive. I'd like to center the text vertically. Is this possible? I am using Excel 97. TIA Hurtin Stay away from merged cells, that will save you potential troubles in the future Having said that I can't reproduce that on excel 2000 if I select center in both the vertical and horizontal boxes Regards, Peo Sjoblom "HurtinUnit19" wrote: &g...

ActiveCell.Text
I need a macro to delete any row in a spreadsheet that contains a certain word. I know how to do this for a number or formula, but how do I find a cell that contains a specific word? Could you not just just Find-Replace on the whole sheet (Ctrl A) and use an empty string "" as the replace string? Gromit ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Just use the word as the search string (the "FindWhat:=" argument). It should work just fine....

Justifying Text
I'd like to be able to wrap a 2 word header, have the second (bottom) word right justified in the cell but the first (top) word centred above the second word. I can manage it by padding the first word with character colours matching the background, is there a better way of doing it? "Book End" <book@end.invalid> wrote... >I'd like to be able to wrap a 2 word header, have the second (bottom) word >right justified in the cell but the first (top) word centred above the >second word. >I can manage it by padding the first word with character colours matc...

Text alignment
vertical text is set to default at the middle of the box. When I change to top, it aligns to the bottom. When I select bottom, is kinda spills out the top of the cell. ( when I click in the box I can see a dotted internal bounding box.) I want my items to be aligned to the top of the object (box) AAARGH!! thanks for your help Try going to Organization Chart > Options > Fields tab and make sure that the text you are trying to display is listed first. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Justifying text
With Publisher 2003 there was an icon in the toolbar which allowed you once you had highlighted your text to get it neatly justified into the textbox, both left and right. With the new Publisher 2007 the only options are left align and centre align - what has happened to the justifying option - this seems to be a retrograde step in what is supposed to be an advanced programme. "jimcee" <jimcee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1112DB09-D8EC-4D5B-BF8A-97BACB45F146@microsoft.com... > With Publisher 2003 there was an icon in the toolbar which allo...

Text Manipulation
I have large data file that contains one column of text i.e. Abkarian Shaghzo & Marty. I would like to create additional columns and separate this information into: Column A=LastName "Abakarian, Column B=FirstName "Shaghzo", and column C=SousesFirstName "Marty". I have been told that each column of text can be formated using formulas or functions. This beats changing each cell separately. The question is how do I do this? Is there a book or short course available that list all of the formulas or functions that will allow me to manipulate text in cells....

Lines of text disappearing in Word Tables
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi, <br> I'm having a weird issue with text within tables in my word document. For some reason, if I delete the last row of a table that I'm working on, the previous row's text disappears. What's even more strange is that the first line of text disappears if there are two lines of text in the row, and the second row is fine. <br><br>Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry, not enough detail to answer. 1) Select the entire row and choose Edit>Clear>Clear Formatting. Now what ha...