interlinear or parallel text

I need to prepare a document in two languages, where the text would go in
alternate lines. From the googling I have done, it could be called parallel
corpora, or interlinear or parallel text.

There seems to be a lot of research on translation software that would do
it: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=75238
http://tcc.itc.it/people/forner/multilingualcorpora.html

However, my case is much simpler (I think). I'll try to keep it short:
I have a leaflet in English but I need to add Polish text directly below
English for the people who don't speak English. I have the text in both
languages already and I want it to appear so that the Polish text is roughly
below its English counterpart. I would like Word to control the breaking of
text into lines, so that I don't have to insert new paragraphs or manual line
breaks when getting to the end of the line. In a way it would be 'double
lined' text. I'm not asking much, I'm fine as long as consecutive sentences
do not overlap (i.e. the last part of an English sentence is not hanging over
the beginning of the next Polish one and vice versa).

I would imagine Word detecting sentences either automatically using full
stops, or manually by some hidden formatting symbols that I am happy to
insert.

Below is a simple example, with | marking the imaginary end of line (margin
of document). You have to view this text in a monospaced font to make proper
sense out of it! (Paste it into notepad?)

+++++
MS Word is a useful tool for a|
MS Word to przydatne narzedzie|

university student. It makes  |
dla studenta.       Sprawia,  |

report writing quick and easy.|
ze pisanie raportow jest      |

                 It is very   |
szybkie I latwe. To bardzo    |

important to format the       |
wazne aby formatowac swoje    |

documents correctly.
dokumenty prawidlowo.
+++++
Question is, how do I get Word to keep the lines the way I want them, even
when I edit text in one of the languages? I don’t want it to get messy when I
add or remove a sentence etc.
Separate formatting the text in two different languages would be a nice
bonus (smaller font, faded colour etc.
Or is this the point where Word fails and I need DTP software?
I tried using all sorts of google searches before I came here.

--
Still learning Word.

Did you not see my reply on how I do it for linguistics examples? I'll
copy it here:

That kind of layout is common in linguistics, where you commonly have
three or even four lines that go together.

The only way I've found to deal with it is to use tabs instead of
spaces between words, and line breaks (Shift-Enter) at the end of
each
sub-line (in your case, at the end of each English line) and
paragraph
breaks (Enter) at the end of the last sub-line (in your case, at the
end of each Polish line).

Then, with the cursor in each line, click in the ruler at the top of
the window to place tab stops at places that space the words in the
sub-lines nicely. (Before you add tab stops, the tabs between words
will make the words go to the next available default tab stop, which
might be 0.5 inch or 1 cm or some such, so the lines could
temporarily
break until you put in the "real" tab stops.)

You can format sub-lines however you'd like -- put the cursor in the
left margin until it turns into an up-left-pointing arrow, click, and
a sub-line is selected.

There doesn't seem to be any way to automate all of this. It can be
quite time-consuming to get it to look nice.

On Feb 12, 8:59=A0am, Mateusz <Mate...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
rallel
> > > corpora, or interlinear or parallel text.
>
> > > There seems to be a lot of research on translation software that woul=
d do
> > > it:http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=3D75238
> > >http://tcc.itc.it/people/forner/multilingualcorpora.html
>
> > > However, my case is much simpler (I think). I'll try to keep it short=
:
> > > I have a leaflet in English but I need to add Polish text directly be=
low
> > > English for the people who don't speak English. I have the text in bo=
th
> > > languages already and I want it to appear so that the Polish text is =
roughly
> > > below its English counterpart. I would like Word to control the break=
ing of
> > > text into lines, so that I don't have to insert new paragraphs or man=
ual line
> > > breaks when getting to the end of the line. In a way it would be 'dou=
ble
> > > lined' text. I'm not asking much, I'm fine as long as consecutive sen=
tences
> > > do not overlap (i.e. the last part of an English sentence is not hang=
ing over
> > > the beginning of the next Polish one and vice versa).
>
> > > I would imagine Word detecting sentences either automatically using f=
ull
> > > stops, or manually by some hidden formatting symbols that I am happy =
> > > insert.
>
> > > Below is a simple example, with | marking the imaginary end of line (=
margin
> > > of document). You have to view this text in a monospaced font to make=
 proper
> > > sense out of it! (Paste it into notepad?)
>
> > > +++++
> > > MS Word is a useful tool for a|
> > > MS Word to przydatne narzedzie|
>
> > > university student. It makes =A0|
> > > dla studenta. =A0 =A0 =A0 Sprawia, =A0|
>
> > > report writing quick and easy.|
> > > ze pisanie raportow jest =A0 =A0 =A0|
>
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0It is very =A0 |
> > > szybkie I latwe. To bardzo =A0 =A0|
>
> > > important to format the =A0 =A0 =A0 |
> > > wazne aby formatowac swoje =A0 =A0|
>
> > > documents correctly.
> > > dokumenty prawidlowo.
> > > +++++
> > > Question is, how do I get Word to keep the lines the way I want them,=
 even
> > > when I edit text in one of the languages? I don=92t want it to get me=
ssy when I
> > > add or remove a sentence etc.
> > > Separate formatting the text in two different languages would be a ni=
ce
> > > bonus (smaller font, faded colour etc.
> > > Or is this the point where Word fails and I need DTP software?
> > > I tried using all sorts of google searches before I came here.
0
Peter

Access 2007 on Vista
Hello, I have some forms with text boxes that contain dlookups as their control source. They will not display on the form until A) I click into the text box, then the value appears or B) I minimize Access and then maximize it and the data appears. I have tested this on multiple machines - it is definitely a Vista problem, it does not occur on win XP Prof. Any ideas? ...

Can We Read Text data From an EXE
HI I have an Exe file when it runs ,there are just two controls on the window.One is a ListBox and another is a Multi line Rich Edit control.When i click on an item in the list some text is displayed in the Edit control.Exe have a Hunderds of items in the List controls,which display some text in edit control against an item selection. I want to read that data which is displayed in edit control against the selection of an item in list controls .and want to place that data in a Word file.Can any body tell me how i can do that.is there any API's available to read that data.plz tell me. Cri...

Question on Restoring/Backing up Multiple Databases in Parallel
Hello's all. Assuming you have 2 Storage groups each with 3 mailbox stores. Is it possible to Simultaneously Backup up the Stores Or Simultaneously Restore the Stores? If so how would one go about doing this? I'm concerned more about the location of the "Temporary files" during the restore. Many thanks. Blue. No... The backup should be run against the entire storage group and the individual stores will be backed up sequentially.. Never restore more than one at a time. All the stores in the SG share the same transaction logs. I am not positive but you could probabl...

can't edit text in text boxes
what could possibly cause this (I'm out of areas to look) I'm in the process of developing a project and have a main menu form with various controls, text boxes, tabs, etc (the usual stuff) Suddenly (by accident, I notice that I can't edit any of the textboxes... all of the other controls work, just not the text... - the boxes are enabled and allow edits... - the form is enabled... - the form's data source is correct (I think.. the text boxes are filling in with the correct information... - the data source is a 1-record table); - if I open the data table in data sheet view...

Split text into 2 columns
Separate my data into two columns at the first Capital letter? My data looks like this x 544 lines aerodrome A defined area on land or water. air cargo Freight, mail and express traffic transported by air. airport An area of land or water that is used or intended to be used for landing an aircraft. Here is an example splittin col A into cols A & B: Sub capSplit() Dim v As String, s As String Set r = Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Range("A:A")) For Each rr In r v = rr.Value For i = 1 To Len(v) s = Mid(v, i, 1) If Asc(s) > 64 And...

Text function
Folks Is it possible to do a custom number format into the text function which will allow me to colour the text similar to conditional formatting. The problem i have is in one of the reports I have the staff have used one cell to try and put 2 entries in with a slash in between. Say this is a target value / agreed value and then at the end of the month I will get an actual value in another cell which I will want to compare against each and give a percentage increase or decrease. I have managed to write a formula to seperate the values and give a percentage back using the text function but now...

Can I make certain text NOT print in publisher?
I'm looking to leave directions for the user - when using the template I am creating in Publisher - but some of the users are not as savvy as others and I'm afraid they will forget to remove the directions when printing the final copy. Is there a way I can insert a text box that does not print? Try putting it in the scratch area? maybe that will work for ya. "rivertown" <rivertown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACE3F0F5-8A34-454D-9047-9815200B1DB0@microsoft.com... | I'm looking to leave directions for the user - when using the template I am...

interlinear or parallel text
I need to prepare a document in two languages, where the text would go in alternate lines. From the googling I have done, it could be called parallel corpora, or interlinear or parallel text. There seems to be a lot of research on translation software that would do it: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=75238 http://tcc.itc.it/people/forner/multilingualcorpora.html However, my case is much simpler (I think). I'll try to keep it short: I have a leaflet in English but I need to add Polish text directly below English for the people who don't speak Engl...

Extract portions of text
Hi, I have a list of names comprised like this: Cook, Mr. M.S. Marty, Miss M.S.R. Constant, Mrs. R.G.L. We only have Mr., Miss and Mrs. I need to extract these into last name, title and initials: Col1 Col2 Col3 Cook Mr. M.S. Thanks for your usual cooperation Hi, use text to columns, fixed with and select where you want the columns to be "Lupe" wrote: > Hi, > I have a list of names comprised like this: > Cook, Mr. M.S. > Marty, Miss M.S.R. > Constant, Mrs. R.G.L. > We only have Mr., Miss and Mrs. > > I need to...

Parallel port under Windows 7
Did somebody try writing values to parallel port under Windows 7? So far I am unable to do it. Stuff that worked on XP doesn't under Win7. CreateFile("LPT3"...) succeeds but all subsequent commands (GetCommState, WriteFile) fail. I stopped spooling and followed recommendations from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823179/en-us. Didn't help. InpOut32.dll does not work on 64 bit version (which is expected), but even 32 bit version works on some computers and doesn't on the others. Specifically, it works on the PC with LPT port on a separate I/O card (appea...

Listbox contains check box, small image icon and text
I would like to implement a list control in which every row contains check box, small image icon and text. how can I do it? Are there any sample codes? -- Nothing impossible, Nothing sure This will be a good start: http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/ ----- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "NianHawk" <NianHawk@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message news:C43782D7-9D80-4F74-92EC-05E47983291E@microsoft.com... > I would like to implement a list control in which every row contains check > box, small image icon and text. how can I do it? Are there any sample codes? Dont k...

Long Parallel Columns
I am looking for a way to create very long parallel columns in Word. I am trying to create a document in two languages (English on left and Spanish on right) so that by scrolling down the document, I can compare the two versions at the same time. I know that I can create tables for such a thing on a small scale. But these documents are very long (think books) and linking one text column to another across multiple pages seems to causes problems. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. In Word the only practical way to do this is with a table. Just make sure that you st...

Rich Text / Plain Text. Error message
Hello Folks Every time I send an email, I get a window telling me that the email I am sending is in Rich Text format ((HTML) and asking me whether I wish to proceed by sendng in HTML, sending Plain Text or canceling. This is regardless of whether I am sending a simple attachment (Excel file a picture) even without any text. I have also just deleted my old account and re-set it up again. Please can you tell me how to avoid this message in the future? Looking forward to your answer in anticipation. Georgie Girl Isn't there a "Don't show me this again" ...

Exporting email with atachment to text file
I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form. Many years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text; attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64. I could always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting, and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment. Is there any way to do this in Outlook? I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in the future by having a purely text email file. TIA <dtshedd@yah...

USB or Parallel Dongle?
Is it just a matter of personal preferance (and available ports!), or is one easier to deal with for whatever reason...? I'd rather deal with the parallel dongles. I have had problems with USB ports failing completely as well as intermittently. The USB dongles sometimes can get knocked around losing their connection. With the parallel dongles you can securely screw them in place. Over all they just seem to be more stable. Rob "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D9941C4-D490-4092-A29B-FA971639FE92@microsoft.com... > Is it just a matte...

Import Word text into Publisher into many text boxes?
I need to regularly create a newsletter with many short items. It is pretty tedious to copy and paste all those short bits into individual text boxes. Is it possible for me to import the text from MS Word 2007 into MS Publisher 2007 and have all the different paragraphs or sections get placed into individual text boxes? How do I then indicate in Word where the next text box must be created (by inserting Section Breaks for example)? This would save me a considerable amount of time and effort. Many thanks to whoever can help me with this! You cannot do this in Publisher. You can create ...

Text Boxes #4
I have a number of text boxes within charts that highlight some of the information. I change the data that produces the charts and would like to automatically change the text in the text box by linking the text box to cells within a worksheet. Is this possible to do? Thanks Graham Hi Graham you can link a text box to a cell, 1) click on the text box 2) click in the formula bar 3) type =A1 (or whatever cell) 4) press enter Cheers JulieD "Graham Parkinson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:219f01c4d884$799b2570$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have a...

ODBC Text Error
I am still having a problem running integrations on several PC's. It works on some. It was working on mine but now when I run an integration I get an error [Microsoft][ODBC Text Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 1. The KB articles do not seem to address this. Regards Richard Richard, A few suggestions/things to check: 1) Make sure all PCs are running the same adapter versions for IM. 2) Centralize your IM dictionary. If all users are running the same IM.MDB version, troubleshooting this issue becomes easier. By the same token, make sure the IM.MDB is the same on all PCs. ...

Change fg color of a static text at runtime
How can I change fg color of a static contol base on caption's text. I can set fg/bkg color using OnCtlColor at dialog's startup but I need to change color base on a math result, if this is positive set as blue if math result use red. thanks in advance for your help, Eduardo You would still do it the same way. Create appropriate brushes(or use SetTextColor etc) and return these based on the context(math result). OnCtlColor is called whenever the control needs to be redrawn(not only at startup). -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Eduardo" <a@a.com> w...

How do I automatically expand a merged cell with wrapped text?
You don't. Take a look at the macro by Jim Rech: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/br owse_frm/thread/c681ec7915bee300/2601d8ed556c55e9? ...

Text String to Unicode
Hi, How do I convert a text string (from a text file) that has escaped unicode charactes (\u0635\u0641\u0627\u0631) to unicode chars? Thanks, Guilherme R. Rolim Look at macros A2W etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Guilherme R. Rolim" <grrolim@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message news:OXR7gzxkDHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... | Hi, | | How do I convert a text string (from a text file) that has escaped unicode | charactes (\u0635\u0641\u0627\u0631) to unicode chars? | | Thanks, | | Guilherme R. Rolim | | | | I'll try to put some more details, mayb...

Expanding Text Box
One one slide: I need to click on title 1 and have a text box appear...then disappear when I click on title 2...and so on. Without using a macro, how can I achieve this? Thank you. Use Custom Animation to set entrance and exit on mouse click, the exact steps would be somewhat dependent on the version of PP your are using. -- James Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen." Homer: "Good riddance! Their drawings sucked and they looked like hippies." "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA63087D-5125-4...

How do I change the text in a workbook from upper to lower case
Hi Please can anyone help with this one! I have a large workbook that I have created (just with text - no formulas) and I have done it in caps but now want to change all the text to lower case without having to re-type it all. Excel hslp is confusing so can anyone tell me how to do it please Thanks Mike Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mike wrote: > Hi > > Please can anyone help with this one! > > I have a large workbook that I have created (just with text - no > formulas) and I have done it in caps but now...

why does a formula become text
If I enter a formula into a cell e.g. =A1*B1 the cell reports the result correctly. Sometimes I can be editting a formula and the cell stops reporting the result and only displays the formula. No amounnt of adjusting the formula or cell format makes the cell display the result of the formula. Why is this? Duncan Hi check if the cell is formated as 'Text'. goto 'Format - Cells' and use for example the format 'General' If this does not help goto 'Tools - Options - View' and uncheck 'Formulas' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany duncan w...

In query how to write group into the same minute? Export to text file?
Hi How can I in a Query write the criteria so that it groups the data from witin every minute? For example many trades that are made in the same minute compressed into that minute (and the analysis will be done in other fields, like: first, high, low, last, sum). And how can I export the result from a query into a testfile? Regards Rolf On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:05:00 +0100, "Rolf" <rolfe@algonet.se> wrote: >Hi >How can I in a Query write the criteria so that it groups the data from >witin every minute? For example many trades that are made in the ...