How to use the same drop down fields

How do I use the same drop down fields in multiple forms without recreating
the values with each form?

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:51:01 -0800, Petra van Vuurem <Petra van
Vuurem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I use the same drop down fields in multiple forms without recreating
>the values with each form?

The only way to do that is to prepare a macro that populates the list.
Here's some sample code (see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed):

Sub PopulateCityDropdown()
    Dim FieldName As String
    Dim WasProtected As Boolean
    WasProtected = False

    If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
        ActiveDocument.Unprotect
        WasProtected = True
    End If

    If Selection.FormFields.Count > 0 Then
        FieldName = Selection.FormFields(1).Name
    Else
        FieldName = InputBox("Enter name of dropdown to fill:")
        Do While Not ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists(FieldName)
            If StrPtr(FieldName) = 0 Then Exit Sub ' canceled
            FieldName = InputBox("Enter name of dropdown to fill:")
        Loop
    End If

    With ActiveDocument.FormFields(FieldName)
        If .Type = wdFieldFormDropDown Then
            .DropDown.ListEntries.Clear
            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Akron"
            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Boston"
            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Chattanooga"
            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Denver"
        Else
            MsgBox FieldName & " is not a dropdown."
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End With

    If WasProtected Then
        ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields,
NoReset:=True
    End If
End Sub

You'd need a different macro for each list, or else this macro would
have to be modified to recognize which list goes with which field
name.

The macro can be assigned to a shortcut key and/or a toolbar button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Sub CopyFromDDBank()
Dim oDoc1 As Word.Document
Dim oDoc2 As Word.Document
Dim pStr
pStr = InputBox("Enter field name to copy")
If StrPtr(pStr) = 0 Then Exit Sub
Set oDoc1 = ThisDocument
Set oDoc2 = Documents.Open(FileName:="C:\FieldBank", Visible:=False)
oDoc1.Activate
On Error GoTo Err_Handler
'Copy from bank
oDoc2.FormFields(pStr).Range.Copy
'Paste at IP in current document
Selection.Paste
Err_ReEntry:
oDoc2.Close
End
Err_Handler:
If Err.Number = 5941 Then
 MsgBox "A field by this name does not exist in the DDBank"
End If
Resume Err_ReEntry
End Sub

Jay Freedman wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:51:01 -0800, Petra van Vuurem <Petra van
> Vuurem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I use the same drop down fields in multiple forms without
>> recreating the values with each form?
>
> The only way to do that is to prepare a macro that populates the list.
> Here's some sample code (see
> http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed):
>
> Sub PopulateCityDropdown()
>    Dim FieldName As String
>    Dim WasProtected As Boolean
>    WasProtected = False
>
>    If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
>        ActiveDocument.Unprotect
>        WasProtected = True
>    End If
>
>    If Selection.FormFields.Count > 0 Then
>        FieldName = Selection.FormFields(1).Name
>    Else
>        FieldName = InputBox("Enter name of dropdown to fill:")
>        Do While Not ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists(FieldName)
>            If StrPtr(FieldName) = 0 Then Exit Sub ' canceled
>            FieldName = InputBox("Enter name of dropdown to fill:")
>        Loop
>    End If
>
>    With ActiveDocument.FormFields(FieldName)
>        If .Type = wdFieldFormDropDown Then
>            .DropDown.ListEntries.Clear
>            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Akron"
>            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Boston"
>            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Chattanooga"
>            .DropDown.ListEntries.Add "Denver"
>        Else
>            MsgBox FieldName & " is not a dropdown."
>            Exit Sub
>        End If
>    End With
>
>    If WasProtected Then
>        ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields,
> NoReset:=True
>    End If
> End Sub
>
> You'd need a different macro for each list, or else this macro would
> have to be modified to recognize which list goes with which field
> name.
>
> The macro can be assigned to a shortcut key and/or a toolbar button.

0
Greg
11/15/2009 6:21:00 PM
Hi Petra,

If you only want to replicate the contents of the source document's formfields in the target documents, you can use INCLUDETEXT
fields in the target documents. No macros required. See Word's Help file for details.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Petra van Vuurem" <Petra van Vuurem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I use the same drop down fields in multiple forms without recreating
> the values with each form?

0
macropod

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Finding all table and fields that are involved in a one to many relation (on many side) with a given field
Hi, I have a master table, and several other tables that are related to this master through one to many relations. How can I find all tables and fields which are in relation with the primary key in the master table, on "many" side? I know I can extract this by querying views from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but I don't know where exactly I can find this info Thank you One way Select op.name As ParentTableName, oc.name As ChildTableName, c.name As ChildColumnName From sys.foreign_key_columns kc Inner Join sys.objects op On kc.parent_object_id = op.object_id Inner Jo...

Activities View & Regarding Field
Is it possible to see the Regarding name in the activities view? I know it is possible to exit the activity view throught the view editor e.g. http://crm/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001902} for all activities though this only allows addition of a few fields. if I look in the SavedQueryBase, the view {00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001902} gives a FetchXml string with the activity fields. the display text for the regarding field is available in the Activity view as the ObjectName field Can one simply add the ObjectName field to this to provide the rega...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Pivot Tables, calculated fields
I'm trying to add two calculated fields to a pivot tabe. I'd prefer that the field calculation the takes a row item quantity or dollar figure and calculates the item as a percentage of the total. Such as region xx has 85% of the total sales units but only 78% of the total sales dollars. Can anyone help me? Instead of a calculated field, you can add data fields to the pivot table. In the pivot table wizard, double-click the data field button Click the Options button For 'Show data as', select % of column. Excel GuRu wrote: > I'm trying to add two calculated field...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

To: Field sloooow behavior
Some users (including myself, up until a recent rebuild of my PC) are suffering from this odd behavior and I'm hoping one of you can help. Using Outlook 2007 on a domain with Exhange 2003; some users on XP Pro, some on Vista Enterprise. I fire up a new email and start typing in the To: field. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the letters to appear. Worse yet, if I make a mistake and need to backspace, it can take several seconds to erase the characters. I thought I had narrowed the problem down to Windows Desktop Search because uninstalling it eliminated the problem on one use...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...