How to retrieve earlier saved copies of a document 12-01-09

I wrote over part of an old document, and pressed "save."  I meant to press
"save as."  Now my old document is gone.  Is there any way to get it back?

"Don" wrote:

> I wrote over part of an old document, and pressed "save."  I meant to press
> "save as."  Now my old document is gone.  Is there any way to get it back?

Save As #4
I would like to know if there is a way to save a file automatically based on a name or value in a specifc cell on the worksheet. For example, cell B5 contains the value 22. When I go to save can I have it automatically save the file as 22.xls You could use a macro: option explicit sub testme() with activeworkbook .saveas filename:=.path & "\" & .worksheets("sheet99").range("b5").value, _ fileformat:=xlworkbooknormal end with end sub If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritch...

Option in Excel to save a close a workbook inactive for 5 minutes
We share workbooks and many times users forget to close and go to meetings, home...etc. Has anyone found a work around solution to this? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=74a7fe44-f1b3-459b...

How to retrieve the string from dialog box
Hi All, Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line for users to be aware of it in my application. I don't know how to retrieve the string in IDC_STATIC control on a dialog box. It would be very nice that someone let me know how to do that without calling the dialog box. TIA Hwasoo Lee Back 9 wrote: > Hi All, > > Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? > I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line &g...

Copying formulas Part 2
I have two worksheets open. In one, I can populate a cell with a formula, set the cell colors, font, and other attributes, and then double click on the fill cross (little black cross) and it will automatically fill the cells below it with like formulas, fonts, colors, etc... The other worksheet, this does not work. Is there a setting I'm overlooking? Neither sheet is protected or locked. I've gone through the options dialog box back and forth between the two worksheets, but I may have missed something. TIA Randy, Hi Randy double click will only work if there is data t...

Auto-save of e-mail does not work with Word as mail editor!
I am using Office Microsoft Professional 2003, with Windows XP Pro with SP2. I use Outlook as my main e-mail program, and have "use Word as e-mail editor" selected. I have "auto-save" chosen in preferences, so while writing a longer e-mail, at specified time intervals the message will auto save, so that if my computer crashes while writing, I will not have lost what I write. However, while writing an e-mail that takes longer than the specified time interval for auto-save, a box keeps popping up that says (with "Microsoft Word" in the heading): "Savin...

retrieve an AVERAGE of a range using VLOOKUP to locate start/end d
Can I calculate the average of a range based on VLOOKUP? In other words, can I get Excel to "look up" the respective START / END dates of an investment position listed in Sheet 1 and then go and locate those 2 distinct cell values in in a different sheet (Sheet 2) utilizing VLOOKUP function and then return the calculated AVERAGE of the cells within that range back into Sheet 1? Appreciate any thoughts if doable in Excel in any way? tAKE A LOOK AT AverageIFS and see if that does what you want. If it were me, I'd probably enter the formula manually, record the resu...

Retrieve mouse position
Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! xg >Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates >even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! Have you tried calling GetCursorPos? If you want to know when the mouse is moving I think you'll need to use a hook - have a look at SetWindowsHookEx WH_MOUSE. Dave IN addition to David's answer, you have not stated the problem you are trying to solve. For examp...

copy worksheet & include all fonts & print settings
I have a spreadsheet that I use for the year (Jan-Dec). Each month I copy the previous months sheet and rename it to the current month. The problem I am having is I can't seem to keep all the settings for printing to carry over to the next months sheet. I have tried to hold the control key down & select the new sheet and then going to print settings & saying OK. This changes some of the settings, but others are not being carried over. Is there a way to make the new sheet print exactly like the old one? Right click on the sheet tab you want to copy, select "Move or Copy"...

opening a word 2003 document with word 2007
I created some documents on Word 2003 and have been unable to open them with Word 2007. I tried saving them as .docx and .rtf on Word 2003 with no luck. The posts that I have seen thus far have not helped. Does anyone have any suggestions? What happens when you try? Word 2007 should have no difficulty opening Word 2003 documents or RTF documents. Word 2003 can only save docx format if it has the compatibility pack installed. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word...

Retrieving comment using range name
I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the referenced ranges (singular cells)? Thanks in advance, Tomek Set testrng = Range("A3:A4", "C3:C4") comment1 = testrng(1).Comment.Text .... commentn = testrng(n).Comment.Text Stefi „topola” ezt írta: > I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range > names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the > referenced ranges (singular cells)? > Thanks in advance, > Tomek > > did yo...

how do i save an excel file as .xbrl?
is there an add-on that allows .xbrl saves? thx Frank On 4/11/2010 10:45 AM, Frank wrote: > is there an add-on that allows .xbrl saves? > > thx > > Frank I guess you'd need to tell us what an xbrl file is... Bill ...

Dynamic copying of data to new sheets
I need to create a seperate sheet in an excel workbook that contains th information from a data sheet. There are multiple columns and I need to seperate the rows out tha match values in one column. Number Status Notes 1 Fail none 2 Pass none 3 Not Run none 4 Missing none I need to make a seperate sheet for fail, pass, not run, and missing. I would like these sheets to update automatically, as the data sheet i quite large and it would take sometime to update the information b hand. Thanks, Quirthano -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Macro to print document in Duplex format
I am trying to write a macro in a template (.dot) file to be used on 2000 documents based on it. The macro has code to print duplex. The code is give below. I get error 'Unable to set shared printer settings' while trying to assign printersettings. Isnt it the same like changing the Duplex setting in the print->printing preferances? Please advice. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Option Explicit Public Type PRINTER_DEFAULTS pDatatype As Long pDevmode As Long DesiredAccess As Long End Type ...

Retrieving messages
Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did not crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are all the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program needs to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks. P89 If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file called Outlook.pst. If you have that you can import all the information. Al "peterson89" <peterson...

Retrieving lost messages after Synchronization in Outlook Express
Setup for my hotmail messages to be downloaded to Outlook Express. When tried to connect to see an old message, didn't realize that it was setup to auto synch. My messages were deleted from hotmail, and are now lost on Outlook Express after synching. Is there anyway to retrieve the lost messages from Outlook Express? I really needed some of the items in there, and had downloaded them so they wouldn't be lost. Thanks! ...

How do I save a merged label file to a cd?
I have done a label merge for a client. Unfortunatley, when I e-mail to the client it comes to them gumbled. I attempted to burn a cd but cannot open. Help, someone, anyone. thank you. how are you burning it? If you copy or save it to the cd, that probably won't work, you need to run the burning program, which one do you have? "Eva Anne" wrote: > I have done a label merge for a client. Unfortunatley, when I e-mail > to the client it comes to them gumbled. I attempted to burn a cd > but cannot open. > Help, someone, anyone. > thank you. Nero, and thanks fo...

copy without space
I copy a cell to another app. and it contains a space. How should I cop from Excel without this space -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Retrieve
Hi how do i retrieve all the postings i have posted in this group. sometimes forget of where i posted my i will be glad to get to know how to pull out my own questions cheers Click on your name to view the profile...Then click 'Recent posts by this user' http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&p=1&tid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a&mid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Amin" wrote: > Hi how ...

Retrieving
Is there any way to retrieve how many web pages are opened by Internet Explorer, and what URLs are opened by it, from another process? I searched for IHTMLDocument5 and so on, however, I could't find any hint. Please reply. Thanks in advance. Regards, Hyun-jik Bae ...

No free/busy information could be retrieved
Recently migrated from 5.5 to exch2003, once the 5.5 machine was turned off, users free/busy information is not available, if the 5.5 machine is turned on it is available, does anyone know what I need to so that the information is available after 5.5 is turned off? -- Thanks Sounds like you forgot to re-home the System Public Folders (specifically the Free/Busy Public Folder) before turning the old server off. Follow the details in this article for a list of things you should do in order to retire the 5.5 server. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917 - referen...

Saving Visio files as JPG files?
I am currently working on a network documentation project and have succesfully saved single page files a JPG files. One documented region of the network is a large file with multiple pages of information in one file. I have tried to copy each page one by one to Word,JPG or PDF. When I try this there is nothing displayed. I am wondering why the single page visio files will perfom this transition where the multi-page files will not even when copied out a page at a time. Does anybody know if there is a known issue or workaround for this. TW, Exporting as EMF usually creates smaller file sizes i...

saving over a document
Version: 2008 <i>am working on a project for school that requires me to create multiple documents. i wrote one of my documents, saved it, then typed over it to started working on my next one. when i finished the next one, i accidentally pressed save instead of save as... and now i have two versions of my second document. Is there any way to go back to a previously saved version of my first document?</i> Probably not, unless you have backups (say on using Time Machine or some other backup strategy). --rms www.rmschneider.com On 11/01/10 01:10, Briesayzhi@o...

SOAP Document Size Limitation?
We have an app that uses web services to pass typed datasets to and from the client and server. A couple of these datasets contain fields of type 'base64Binary' because of the need to have the client send the server binary files (usually images). We've noticed that if the size of the contents of these base64Binary fields exceeds roughly 3.5M, we get an error when consuming the web service. Do any of you know if this is a SOAP document size limitation or perhaps a base64Binary field size limitation? If so, can these sizes be adjusted? Thanks. By default, ASP.NET will only ac...

Unable to save password continued...
In password manager the option for remember my Password can not be activated. Any suggestions? -- Christopher J. Fazio, V.M.D. Hope, New Jersey There were some cases of this last week, but I don't recall seeing any positive/negative response to postings made. One solution (although take a safe backup first), might be to remove the passport from the file, restart Money and then reassociate the passport. Not sure about any side effects, such as bill pay though, as that's something I can't test. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/def...

retrieving my questions
I am still learning how to use this system to it's fullest. How can I locate the questions I have asked in the past? Is there an easy way? -- Zunibear in Montana It depends upon how you are viewing this forum. If using Outlook Express, make sure your view is set for all messages. You could then sort by "From". If you don't want to loose the threaded response view, don't sort, but you probably have a copy of any post you did in the "Sent Items" folder in Outlook Express. Look there, find the one you are interested in, and scroll to that date in the f...