how to insert both page numbers and footers in the same document

Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same
document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I
insert first

You need to put the page number _in_ the footer (or header).

What steps are you performing? Which version of Word?

On Jan 19, 5:54=A0am, Sheila <She...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same
> document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I
> insert first

0
Peter
1/19/2010 12:34:35 PM
I'm guessing this is Word 2007 and you are using the Building Block
galleries? Try the following: Add the footer and then double-click the
footer area to activate it. Place the insertion point where you want the
page number. On the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, click Page Number, and
then click Current Position.

An even better approach would be to insert not only the page number but the
entire footer content directly in the footer. See also
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same
> document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I
> insert first

0
Stefan

viewing page spreads
Creating a newsletter. Currently I can only view pages in two page spreads. Is there any way to view a full spread of multiple page newsletters? Rachel After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Rachel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > Creating a newsletter. Currently I can only view pages > in two page spreads. Is there any way to view a full > spread of multiple page newsletters? In Publisher 2002 and 2003 you can use the Print Preview to accompish this. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ B...

Insert File Properties
Is it possible to insert a file property (e.g. Title, Subject, Author) into an Excel worksheet cell for display, similar to inserting a field in Word? Thus the value could be centrally managed yet appear multiple locations where inserted throughout the document. Hi use the following UDF: Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties _ (prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function and enter in a cell =DOCPROPS("last author") or =DOCPROPS("...

How do I send a two page Publisher Document in an e-mail?
I have created two pages in Publisher and would like to have them appear in the body of my message rather than as an attachment. Is this possible and if so how do I do it? Aprilffg <Aprilffg@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have created two pages in Publisher and would like to have them > appear in the body of my message rather than as an attachment. Is > this possible and if so how do I do it? You need to create a longer single-page version. Copy and paste the contents of page 2 onto page 1, below the contents that were originally on page...

Insert File Default
Hi Folks, In Outlook XP, when you click Insert / File Attachment - How can you set a location to look for the file as your default? Thanks in advance Alan See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "The Fatman" <albaxter@optushome.com.au> wrote in message news:3f35ace4$0$28117$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi Folks, > > I...

number of characters in POP
Hello: This client wants to be able to expand the number of characters for the item description in PO Entry so that more characters will print on the purchase order. But, when I go into Modify Current Window, I cannot find the field for the item's description nor am I able to tell if it is possible to increase the number of characters for this field. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Perhaps, it's not possible to simply do this with Modifier. Thanks! John John, It is not possible to modify the length of the description field. However this is what I suggest. a. You could...

Changing 'volume' and 'issue' numbers in monthly publications
A previous post suggested saving the current newsletter as 'publisher template' then entering the new information. However, when I do this Publisher does not update the 'issue' number. How do I accomplish this without starting from scratch each month and even then, get the 'volume' and 'issue' numbers to automatically update or change them manually? -- Midge How would the program know what system you use for the designations? Do it manually. You only have to change it on the cover. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Midge" <Mi...

Creating a Microsoft Words document from an existing Excel spreads
Hi all, I need your kind guidance on how to create a new microsoft words document using an existing excel spreadsheet? At present, I have an excel spreadsheet, say "data.xls" containing data for example 6 fields such as COMPANY NAME, DATE, ITEM1, ITEM2, ITEM,3 & QUOTATION TOTAL. Under these 6 fields are some records of my customers. COMPANY NM DATE ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3 QUOTATION TTL ---------------- ------- -------- ------- -------- ------------------- ABC Limited 3 Apr xxxxx xxxxx ...

Conditional format number
Hi ng Use mix of xl 2002 and 2003 I would like to format my numbers so if value in colF is blank or then format my formula result in colK for accounting format, no symbol 2 decimal places. Otherwise format with date format mm/dd/yyyy Sample data Cell F5: 10/1/2004 8:35:39 AM Sample formula Cell K5: =IF(ISERROR(VALUE(LEFT(F5,10))),0,(VALUE(LEFT(F5,10)))) And I currently have custom format on ColK for mm/dd/yyyy However, soemtimes this leaves me with: 01/00/1900 Which I do not wan -- gos ----------------------------------------------------------------------- goss's Profile: http:...

QS2000 Auto-Increment Customer account number problem
I have a customer that is running QS2000, version 3.01N, and has for years had the option set in the INI file to auto-increment the account number when adding a new customer. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, the auto-increment stopped working and all the system will do now is try to assign the last new number that it assigned (and yes, it is assigned to a valid customer). I can't find anywhere in the tables where a "last new number used" is stored. I would appreciate any ideas on how to fix this so that it will start assigning the correct numbers again. I have already tried to repair ...

find the printable page height
Does anyone know how to find the above ...

1/2 page copy on other half?
I have created a document on 1/2 half of the page and want to duplicate the document on the other half without having to copy and paste evey text box or picture and reset it all up. How do I save the completed half as one file so it no longer changes and then copy it onthe other half. Ir even copy another half that can be changed??? Thanks Bentley Bentley wrote: > I have created a document on 1/2 half of the page and want to > duplicate the document on the other half without having to copy and > paste evey > text box or picture and reset it all up. How do I save the complete...

Excel: Convert Number (1) to Text (one)
I am working on a excel document that is linked to a word document. I need to know if there is a function that will allow me to do the following for instance: "1" changes to "one" "20" changes to "twenty" "256" changes to "two-hundred and fifty six" I have been unsuccessful so far and really could use some help. Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Alex, The following is a nice compre...

Printing Row 1 at top of each page
This seems obvious, but I cannot get it to work. I am trying to print out a doucument that has multiple pages, and I would like to have the header information that is in Row 1 at the top of each printed page. I have gone into Page Setup, and the tab called "SHEET", but it will not let me enter any info in the "Print Titles" section. Is there something that I need to do first in order to make these changes enabled? Thanks Lance Gray "Lance Gray" <Lance Gray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1734460-9541-4AA4-A7DB-A52F67C863FC@microsoft.c...

don't show the page breaks on the worksheet
After you do a print preview of a worksheet the dotted lines will show your page breaks on the worksheet. Is there any way to NOT see the dotted lines after doing a print preview? You can turn off all page breaks under tools>options>view and uncheck page breaks or use a macro with this line ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False so you could make 2 macros, one that turns them off and and one that turns them on. Don't know if it is worth all that work for being a little annoyed Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Classic" wrote: > After you do a print preview of a worksheet...

will Front Page 2003 work with Windows 2007 / MS Office 2007?
I purchased a new computer and software. It came with Windows 2007 and I purchased MS Office 2007. I have my own business and do my own web page and was using Front Page 2003 on my old computer. MS Office 2007 Pro does not have Front Page so now I can not up date my web page. Can I install Front Page 2003 on my new computer with Operating system 2007 and MS Office 2007? Hope for some help. Thank anyone and everyone in advance. Phil D. PhilDTexas wrote: > I purchased a new computer and software. It came with Windows 2007 and I > purchased MS Office 2007. I have my own ...

change info in other cells when i change a number in a drop list?
Im trying to figure out how to change the info in a few other cells when i change a number in a drop list in Excel. Try something like this: http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/order_form_or_invoice_form_in_microsoft_excel.htm Of course, you might not need all parts of it. :) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "macbr549" <macbr549@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FDE1490-6FCE-4A32-A71C-DAC3136F91E6@microsoft.com... > Im trying to figure out how to change the info in a few other cells when i > change a number in a drop list in Excel. ...

Voided Sales Documents
It would be nice if we could look at voided sales documents, maybe in a special historical view , and have a choice to restore them. -- Sheri Salomone THANKS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGro...

How can I insert a row and have the existing formulas apply?
I have a table which has a column that uses a formula. When I insert a new row in the middle of the table, Excel inserts a blank cell into the column with formulas, rather than keeping the formula that applies to the adjacent rows. How do I insert a row and keep the column with a formula so it applies to that new row? Charity Worker in Africa wrote: > I have a table which has a column that uses a formula. When I insert a new > row in the middle of the table, Excel inserts a blank cell into the column > with formulas, rather than keeping the formula that applies to the adjace...

How do I print numbered tickets using a business card format?
Printing tickets using publisher. How do I get the numbers to advance per card? I need to print 250. You need to setup a consecutive numbered data base to merge from. There is an Excel way here, it is about the same in Access http://msauer.mvps.org/misc.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "pattyv" <pattyv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA0BEB24-39BB-4E0E-81A4-5266E6CF1242@microsoft.com... > Printing tickets using publisher. How do I get the numbers to advance per > card? I nee...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

How do I view all data in a cell regardless of number of characte.
Click in the cell. Look at the Formula Bar! -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "DavidMarquez" <DavidMarquez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A29A9CA8-57E4-403F-B3F7-6176308CE8FE@microsoft.com... > Also, if you mean how much cell content you can display on the sheet, itself, however, that's a different story. A cell can display up to 255 characters wide (column width) by 409 points tall (row height). Font s...

Can�t navigate pages
I am running P2002 on XP. I have a number of multi-page documents which normally have a line of page numbers along the bottom of the screen allowing me to navigate from one page to another. Sometimes theses numbers will disappear while I am working. Today I tried opening a set of documents I have not looked at for some time and the line of page numbers will not display at all, so I can�t navigate through the document. Does anyone know what is wrong? (I can work around this by clicking the print preview icon then clicking through the document to the required page and then hitting esc, but this ...

OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module SHDOCVW.DLL
Issue: I receive the following error message when opening HTML formatted e-mail in Outlook: OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module SHDOCVW.DLL I do not seem to get this error whenever I open plain text e-mails. How do I resolve this issue? Software Versions: Outlook 2000 Windows 98 SE Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 ...

Insert Comments on a Protected Worksheet
hi - I have a worksheet with areas that are locked, and a range B5:H23 that is not locked. Protection has been applied to the sheet. The user is allowed to SELECT unlocked cells. My problem is that I want to be able to INSERT COMMENTS in the unlocked range. I can't seem to do this while protection is ON. (Comments can only be added when Protection is OFF) What am I missing? thanks in advance -- cinnie When setting sheet protection allow users to "Edit Objects"........down near bottom of list. Then you can Insert Comments in unlocked cells. Gord ...

Default document's path
Hello I recently posted a question regarding default path; I'd like to widen this question. Suppose we have MDI application (with two or more document types, if it does matter). After first call of (wizard generated) menu option "Open" or "Save" or "Save As" we can see dialog opened at location of current user's My Documents folder. I would like to change this path for one, default path. It seems to be extremely easy... I tried calling CDocument::SetPathName(strMyPath); - with absolutely no results. What should I change to set new path that will be used ...