How to create 2 separate indexex to one doc??

Hi
I'd like to create 2 indexes to one document in Word 97, I've already made
one but the second one mixes with the previous and I want them separate, what
can I do?

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 02:05:01 -0800, lumtecua
<lumtecua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I'd like to create 2 indexes to one document in Word 97, I've already made
>one but the second one mixes with the previous and I want them separate, what
>can I do?

There are two separate mechanisms for inserting multiple indexes in a
document. You didn't explain enough to tell which one you need to use.

One mechanism is used when you want one index to include only the
entries from one part of the document, and another index to include
entries from a different part of the document. In that case, you need
to insert a bookmark around each part -- for example, a bookmark named
"Ch1" around Chapter 1 and a bookmark named "Ch2" around Chapter 2.
Then you put \b switches into the two Index fields:

   {INDEX \b Ch1} will include only entries from the Ch1 bookmark
   {INDEX \b Ch2} will include only entries from the Ch2 bookmark

The other mechanism is used when the entries are all mixed within the
same area of the document, but they're in separate series -- for
example, a name index and a subject index. In that case, you need to
insert \f switches into both the entries (which are XE fields) and the
Index fields so they match. Contnuing the example, each entry for a
name should have a switch \f  "N"

    {XE "Jones:John" \f "N"}

and those entries will be included by an Index field with the matching
switch

   {INDEX \f "N"}

Entries for the subject index should have a switch \f "S"

    {XE "Economics" \f "S"}

and those entries will be included by an Index field with the matching
switch

   {INDEX \f "S"}

The switches are explained in the Help, which (for Word 2007, but not
much has changed) is reproduced at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051862161033.aspx and
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051862091033.aspx.

If you need to go back and add switches to existing XE fields, note
that they're automatically formatted as hidden text, so you have to
turn on the display of hidden text to see them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

{ XE "text here" }

At the end of the code, add \f "a" for all entries that should appear in
your first index. For entries that should appear in your second index, add
\f "b". When you are done, you can hide hidden text again.

Then change the first INDEX field code to include \f "a" and the second
index field code to include \f "b". When you are done, update the index
fields.

To show/hide index field codes (as well as most other field codes), use
Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lumtecua" <lumtecua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I'd like to create 2 indexes to one document in Word 97, I've already made
> one but the second one mixes with the previous and I want them separate,
> what
> can I do?

0
Stefan

create a roster

graphics in Publisher #2
When viewing my document in Print Preview, only graphics appear. Does the document print in toto? Have you gone to the manufacturer's web site of your printer model and looked around for an updated driver? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "cmeeker" <cmeeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1EF4D42-295C-4BCF-A7D9-97362174FECF@microsoft.com... > When viewing my document in Print Preview, only graphics appear. Yes, the document does print. No, I haven't gone to the printer...

Compile Error #2
I am currently using Excel 2002. I was given a file, apparently created in Excel 2003. When I try to access the file I get the following message: Compile error: Can't find project or library The developer believes this error is coming up because 2002 doesn't have the same "libraries" as 2003 and that I need to upgrade to 2003. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help. Does the file you have been given contain VBA code? If so, then it would seem that the original creator has 'referenced' another project or library in it. To explain, when this sheet has been create...

Task Create - Status

footer in excel #2
What is the easiest way to make a footer in excel that will print ON EVERY PAGE? EXCEL 2000 Page Setup Header/Footer Put your entry in Footer "LED1" <LED1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D226F524-7267-48D9-98AE-A1C768B6921E@microsoft.com... : What is the easiest way to make a footer in excel that will print ON EVERY : PAGE? EXCEL 2000 ...

Stuck in outbox #2
whenever i send an email outside of outlook (whether it be from internet explorer or forwarding an email from an open folder) the email does not send automatically, it just sits in outlook outbox. i always have to physically open up outlook to release the email. this is very anoying and never happened with outlook express. before, it just sent automatically. thanks ...

Convert two separate Word documents into one
Anybody know how to merge/convert two separate (one page) Word document into one (two page) document? HELP> In news:B5526982-84F0-4552-A34F-7F72AB3DADDC@microsoft.com, CAOWEN <CAOWEN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Anybody know how to merge/convert two separate (one page) Word > document into one (two page) document? > > HELP> Open one of them. PUt the cursor at the very bottom (CTRL-END keys works well for that). Click Insert File. Save the resulting combined file to a NEW NAME to avoid losing either of the two originals. HTH, Twayne ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

UDF #2
hi Can someone explain me about UDF & its use? Thanks in advance A UDF is a user defined function. You can create a UDF and use it in a formula in a worksheet in the same way as a built-in function. You would create one to do something the built-in functions do not do, such as a look left VLOOKUP, or when you want to simplify a complex formula. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ankur" <Ankur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB8738FE-AF09-4ADD-A180-7B6A7C98EC8B@microsoft.com... > hi > > Can someone explain...

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Tab Sequence? #2
tab sequence? Is there a way to set the order in which cells are highlighted when pressing the tab key? i.e. I have a cell in which data is entered, and then a button which fires a macro next to it. After entering the data I would like to be able to tab out of the cell and have the button highlighted such that pressing enter on the keyboard would trigger the button - much like a web page. Any suggestions? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I don't think you can do what you want. Excel allows for very little control over the tab sequence of cells. Moreover, buttons ...

moving records from one sheet to other
Hi I have 1400 records in one sheet. i want is as a read only sheet. now i need a selection cell and a push button for each and every record. when the shared users select their name from the selection cell then click one of the push button then the appropriate record should move to the sheet which is for that particular user. i have 15 sheets for every individual.can u plz help me out. i'm very new to excel. knight Hopefully this will help you some. This code would be attached to a single button - what it does is see if the currently active cell is in the proper column (with na...

Outlook 2007
Hi, I have 2 Windows 7 systems, one native, one virtual running on Linux, on the same machine. I configured both to access an Exchange server. On the native system, everything works (or almost everything). However on the virtual system, with an identical configuration (more precisely, I tried several account configurations), some things just give an error that the Exchange server isn't available. However it is, since a) basic stuff works on the virtual system (sending/receiving mail for example) b) the same config works on a native system Things that don't work on t...

Speedy Computer # 2
Should this be a speedy computer.. All-In-One Desktop PC - Intel� CoreT2 Quad Processor Q8200S1 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)8 Operating System Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium (64-bit)9 Memory 8192MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1333MHz Memory10 Memory Capacity Maximum 8GB Hard Drive 1TB SATA hard drive (Green Product - variable RPM)3 Thanks,Nicolino "NICK MEALE" <nmeale78@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:eWf4u2X5KHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Should this be a speedy computer.. All-In-One Desktop PC - Intel� CoreT2 > Quad ...

Creating an ad book