How many characters can be used in a file or folder name?

1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can be
used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I get
a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
too long.

2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
facility?

Oldfulla

(2) Tools > Wordcount. Or, you can have it always showing with View >
Toolbars > Wordcount.

On Jun 6, 6:23=A0am, Oldfulla <Oldfu...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> 1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that ca=
n be
> used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I=
 get
> a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name i=
> too long.
>
> 2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
> facility?
>
> Oldfulla

0
Peter
6/6/2010 1:13:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
Scroll down to Limits

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Oldfulla" <Oldfulla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can
> be
> used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I
> get
> a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
> too long.
>
> 2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
> facility?
>
> Oldfulla

-1
JoAnn
6/6/2010 2:00:31 PM
Length of file/folder names is actually dictated by the OS, not by the app
[as long as the app takes advantage of what the OS provides]. Most current
versions of Windows (IIRC) allow for 255 characters. Moving files/folders is
also an OS function even if done through the Open or Save As dialogs.

What you're probably encountering, however, is most likely not a matter of
the individual file name length, but perhaps the overall number of
characters in the path, beginning with the "C:\". Have you tried doing file
management using a Windows Explorer window?

Depending on your version, edition, & update level of Windows OS there may
be a means of addressing the issue. Although you may get the answer here it
might be better to ask in the Windows OS Forum that deals with your specific
flavor of Windows.

As for Word Count, have a look in the Tools menu. You can also add 'Live
Word Count' to the Status Bar in Tools> Options> View, but it may slow
things down a bit depending on a number of factors. See this link for more:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP030824901033.aspx

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/6/10 6:23 AM, in article
51DCBD7D-7D82-4408-861F-CD08BFA58E6F@microsoft.com, "Oldfulla"
<Oldfulla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> 1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can be
> used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I get
> a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
> too long.
>
> 2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
> facility?
>
> Oldfulla

-1
CyberTaz

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

file handling with 2002
I am having a very difficult time with 2002 and making web pages. I have read through Mr. Bartosik's site and I still don't understand why there are all these wierd files Pub creates. Is there anything out there that has a step by step help guide for web publishing for PUB 2002? Thank you! Have a look here and see if it helps you: http://www.users.bigpond.com/auslandline/publisher/ -- ...

Using mouse wheel to scroll drop down
How can I use my mouse wheel to scroll down a drop down list? ...

Can Grow property
I know when you set the Can Grow property of a text field, the field will grow causing the record to expand, when there is much data for the default setting of the text box. Is it possible to make the other fields in each record expand to the same height as the largest field of that record? If you don't have borders around the fields it is not a problem, but if you was to make the report look like a table in a Word document by aligning the text boxes and putting a border around them, the fields are not the same size. Not putting borders around the text boxes and using a horizontal...

continually getting send/receive errors using outlook 2002
Does anyone know why I am continually getting send/receive errors when trying to send an e-mail. I can receive e-mails from virtually anybody that is not blocked by Norton Anti-Spam(Norton Internet Security 2005). My account is a pop3 account with the 'Orange' mobile phone network, therefore it has an '@orange.net' address. I have tried 'repairing' outlook from add/remove programs - this did not fix the problem. Neither did uninstalling and re-installing (also from add/remove programs) this time it only allowed me to send a test e-mail to my '@aol.com' ad...

How to modify specific lines in a .ini file?
Hello, When writing multiple values to a .ini file I'm familiar with the following basic code: Open "c:\my.ini" For Output As #1 Print #1, "1" Print #1, "2" Print #1, "3" Close #1 Is there a way to modify/write values to specific lines only, for example modifying the "2" value on line 2 to "5", without overwriting the other lines with their unchanged values? Thanks for any feedback! Jim You basically need to open the file and read the file until you get to the specific row you are looking for then writ...

how to recover the file which was not saved? #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel accidentally closed the word file which i never saved it. how can I recover it? On 11/4/09 5:37 PM, in article 59b7ffcb.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "tanboola@officeformac.com" <tanboola@officeformac.com> wrote: > accidentally closed the word file which i never saved it. how can I recover > it? Time Machine is your only option. Sorry. -- Diane If the file was never saved to disk there is nothing to recover. Time Machine doesn't store what existed only in RAM, nor does even the best file...

can I use Access for Stock Trading analysis?
Greetings, Are there any Access Templates that I can use to do some Stock analysis, scanning, and decision making for trading? Hambone, Have you tried a Google search? Try... "microsoft access" templates I got a lot of hits, including... http://tinyurl.com/yezb3ha -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life." "Hambone" <Hambone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Setting up to use Gift Certificates?
We offer Gift Certificates, and people can use part of the certificate with the rest being saved as store credit. How do I set this up? Is there somewhere in the guides I should be looking? Also, we deal with Purchase Orders a lot, is there somewhere I can look to see about setting that up? Thanks. -L Use vouchers for your gift certificates. You will need to create a voucher item to sell as the gift certificate, and then you also need a tender set up to redeem them. Search help to get more information on setting them up. As far as PO's go, you need to set reorder points for eac...

Using SQL in MS Access 2000
I am trying to run some SQL script in MS Access 2000 for creating query. But its not take 'IF' and 'ELSE' command. Can someone guide me that how can I use IF and Else in MS Access 2000. Kind Regards, Muhammad Hasnain Raja You can't use If and Else in Access SQL. However, the IIf function is the equivalent. IIf(expr, truepart, falsepart) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) <mhraja@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1185887004.782732.108410@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to run some SQL script in MS ...

use TAB-key in child windows
Hello, I have a dlg-based MFC application. My main window has a listcontrol, a treecontrol and several child windows (with the WS_CHILD style). Depending on the selection in the listcontrol, one of the child windows is shown on the main window. The problem is I can't reach the controls on the child window using the TAB-key. I can only change between the listcontrol and treecontrol on the main window with the TAB-key. Is there a solution for this ?? thx "Wes" <sjappie@pandora.be> wrote in message news:%230BssrOjEHA.140@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I ha...

many-to-many relationships by Graham Mandeno
Hi to all, A couples of months ago I was looking for a good way to handle a many- to-many relationships. I finally found this sample db: http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/SampleDBs.htm. It's simply great! Unfortunately it doesn't work in my case because instead of using just numeric ID to relate the table I'm make use of alphanumeric ID. In the previous: http://groups.google.it/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/25f1941ea8428424/9d3fc99e39b80743?lnk=gst&q=riccifs+many#9d3fc99e39b80743 Graham told me that there was a way to give to the sample db this...

banners using a HP 990cse
Hello I have been racking what little brain I have for many hours now, and I can't for the life of me get a 8.5" x 6' banner to print. Does anyone know if there are any conflicts with this printer ? I keep getting a message when I go to print that says "publisher object to large to print publisher may not be able to print all the objects in your publication do to printer limitations. Try lowering the resolution of your printer using the properties button on the print dialog box. To continue printing, click ok. To cancel printing, click cancel." when I do either one I g...

IE 8 displays nothing for a page with a high-order Unicode character

can't open .jpg from outlook 2000 without saving first
We have a laptop running Windows XP SP1 with Office 2000 Premium SR1 installed, all patches up to date. When this laptop receives an email message with a .jpg file attached, we cannot double-click the attachment to open it. We get the error message, "No file format information can be found in the registry." When we clicks OK, we get the message, "Unknown file format." Microsoft Photo Editor opens, but nothing appears. If we save the file to the desktop, it opens without any problem, but uses the program Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. When we go in to the Fol...

Can I use Find and Replace all with Hyperlinks?
I am using Excel XP. I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. Can I use find and replace to find an entry that appears on multiple sheets and replace it with a hyperlink to another file? ...

converting publisher file to a word document (part II)
I have the same question as "Ajoy." Does anyone know how to convert a publisher file to a work document? Or, does anyone know how to convert a publisher file to a PDF file. Does that require specific software? Please advise You can do a "save as" but you will lose the formatting. And several of us know how to create .pdf files. And yes, it does require specific software. I use Adobe Acrobat Standard but there are some other .pdf creating software programs out there that are not as pricy. Sorry I don't have information on the other programs. "tearl" &...

what addtinal port used in WLM14
Hi, I have company laptop installed Mcafee firewall and antivirus. I can use WLM8.5 in the past without any problem. However, after mandatory upgraded to WLM14, WLM always stop responding after a while. The reason could be some ports are blocked in the firewall. Does anyone know which additional/different ports are used by WLM14 comparing to WLM8.5? Thanks Greetings WU, The ports are identical. Messenger is designed to operate in environments with everything blocked other than port 80 (http) and 443 (https). So, I really doubt this is the problem. It could literall...

2102 All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding
Experts, Running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Exchange SP2 and IIS 6.0. This is basically a single-server DC (with Exchange) pointing to itself for DNS and running Active Directory. Concerning the below 2102 error for DSAccess, this DC was actually up at the time of the error and is not very busy. I do not understand why DSAccess would think it wasn't responding. Is there somewhere I can go to check the DSAccess settings, for example, wait a longer time before declaring a DC as not responding? Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess Event Category: Topology Event ID: 2...

When forwarding an email how many recipients can I send it to?
I got an error response when I forwarded an email to many in my address book. It said, something about too many recipients. How many is too many? I set a 300 recipient limit to my Exchange users at work. This is set at my server level. Quote from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012002371033.aspx Many e-mail service providers set limits for the number of names that can be in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a message. For example, your e-mail service provider may limit each message to a maximum of 100 e-mail addresses. If these addresses can be distributed among the To, Cc, and ...

Using images in bar charts
I know there must be an easy way to do this... I need to use an image of a thermometer, where the red bar in the thermometer replaces the typical bar in the bar chart. I've searched on Google, and found a couple of things, but they're technically beyond my capability! I know you can use a graphic in Excel, but doesn't the graphic end up being distorted? I will continue experimenting and searching for the right answer, but I thought I'd tap into this community and see if I get an easy answer. Try Pope's wonderful site. Search down the list and you will see his t...

Lost e-mails using outlook express
I'm using a computer which is connected to a network. I lost my e-mails on one particular computer and then i'm unable to access the lost e-mails from neither the same computer or the other computers which are sharing my profile. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.as...

Too many clicks! Available formats box
Hello folks I have a client who is unhappy with the amount of clicks in Word 2007. One particular frustration is the Insert Date and Time Available Formats box. Is there anyway to get Word 2007 to just insert the default Date without the additional steps of the format box? I know to the average person, it's not a big deal but this user lives in a pressure cooker and needs the useability of Word 2007 to make things faster, not slower. Thanks for your suggestions! Bill Hole MCTS, SBSC Ask the client to add the Date & Time command to the Quick Access Toolbar ...

question about mailbox.pst file
I recently got a new computer and transferred my Outlook mailbox. All the mail folders were intact and everything worked fine except that all my calendar notations were somehow lost in the shuffle. If anyone has any clues about where they might have gone, I'd appreciate hearing them. A more vexing problem is that when I looked for the mailbox file in the new computer today, I found that the last one was dated about ten days ago, the day it was transferred to this computer. In the past, I think Outlook undated this file whenever I closed the program. Can someone tell me why this isn&#...

.def file library name
Hello fellow Newsgroupies! With an MFC linked DLL the name of the library appears in the .def file. Is there anyway of getting hold of that library name during runtime? Sample code... ; example.def : Declares the module parameters for the DLL. LIBRARY "EXAMPLE" EXPORTS ; Explicit exports can go here ExampleFunctionOne ExampleFunctionTwo ie: can I get hold of the 'EXAMPLE' string using an API function? Many thanks in advance, 'Newsgroupie' England "Newsgroupie" <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio news:5b567c44-dff6...