How do I remove paragraph symbols on every line in Word?

All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
it's on the left. How do I remove this?

CTRL+SHIFT+8
or click the � button

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Kathleen" <Kathleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line.
> If
> the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no
> text,
> it's on the left. How do I remove this?

3
Graham
2/11/2010 4:06:33 PM
Click on the "Show/Hide" button on your toolbar.

"Kathleen" wrote:

> All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
> the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
> it's on the left. How do I remove this?
If they're on _every_ line, then you're probably looking at text
downloaded from a webpage, and you probably want to remove them so
that Word can be a proper word processor.

If the actual paragraphs are separated by two (or more) paragraph
symbols, then use Find/Replace (Ctrl-H) to Find two paragraph marks
(^p^p) and Replace with something not otherwise used in your document
(such as line break, ^l [lowercase L]), then Find/Replace every
paragraph mark (^p) with a space (type spacebar in the Replace with
box), then Find/Replace each line break (^l) with a paragraph break
(^p).

(If each of the lines ends with a space before the paragraph mark,
then Replace ^p with nothing at all -- leave the Replace with box
empty.)

Or maybe you hit "Enter" at the end of each line, as if you were using
a typewriter? Don't do that.

On Feb 11, 10:58=A0am, Kathleen <Kathl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line.=
 If
> the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no t=
ext,
> it's on the left. How do I remove this?

0
Peter
2/11/2010 6:48:02 PM
Do you mean the paragraph markers that show up when the show/hide key
(paragraph symbol located on the standard toolbar) is activated. Just click
on that button on the toolbar and the marks will go away. I like using the
paragraph marks when formatting. Also, they never print out.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> If they're on _every_ line, then you're probably looking at text
> downloaded from a webpage, and you probably want to remove them so
> that Word can be a proper word processor.
>
> If the actual paragraphs are separated by two (or more) paragraph
> symbols, then use Find/Replace (Ctrl-H) to Find two paragraph marks
> (^p^p) and Replace with something not otherwise used in your document
> (such as line break, ^l [lowercase L]), then Find/Replace every
> paragraph mark (^p) with a space (type spacebar in the Replace with
> box), then Find/Replace each line break (^l) with a paragraph break
> (^p).
>
> (If each of the lines ends with a space before the paragraph mark,
> then Replace ^p with nothing at all -- leave the Replace with box
> empty.)
>
> Or maybe you hit "Enter" at the end of each line, as if you were using
> a typewriter? Don't do that.
>
> On Feb 11, 10:58 am, Kathleen <Kathl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
> > the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
> > it's on the left. How do I remove this?
>
> .

Remove Excel Icon ??

How to pull every tenth row of information out of a 5,000-row spreadsheet?
At work, we're doing a poll of 500 people, and we've got a list of 5,000 = potential people to contact in a vast, 5,000-row Microsoft Excel=20 spreadsheet. =20 Is there a way to run a query or a macro or something that will=20 automatically go in and select every tenth row on this document and=20 either erase the intervening rows and move all the remaining to the=20 top, and/or copy the contents of every tenth row into a new document=20 (but without nine blank rows between each row?) =20 We're using Microsoft Excel v.X on Mac OS X Jaguar. =20 Most of what we do is graphic desig...

Removal

Remove lines with +++

Recurring Bill - every 3 weeks
Hello, one of my recurring payments has frequency every 3 weeks. Is it possible to schedule it in Money? thanks, Vadim Rapp Only thing I can think of is to make up three separate MONTHLY payments occurring at three different dates each month (like the 1st of each month, 8th, 15th........etc.). "Vadim Rapp" <vr@nospam.myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:%23q$jNA9iIHA.4320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > one of my recurring payments has frequency every 3 weeks. Is it possible > to schedule it in Money? > > thanks, > Vadim Rapp > > > ...

How to Remove SRS

Opening Outlook causes open Word
Hello Folks!! I have a user that he opens Outlook 2003 and this action cause that Microsoft Word's Windows open without reason. Could somebody help me, please? Thanks in advance!! is he using word as his editor? Does he have any addins for word? When outlook loads word to use it as the editor, the addin could be trying to load and cause word to open completely. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlookt...

Where did Word and Works newsgroups go?
Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word 2000. When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit working with the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make it start working once again. About a year ago, I was testing a number of XP systems and stopped updating Windows. This worked so well on my test machines that I stopped all of the rest of them. So nowadays I only get hotfixes that actually fix a problem that I am having. Although this one computer I restored from the Recovery CD just last week. And there are no new updates on it ...

remove Fax from address book?

Hints/tips text block for Word
I need a text block for hints/tips to slot into body text, preferably with a symbol like a lightbulb or pointing hand. Thanks You could define a style using the lightbulb or pointing hand as a "picture bullet." Or you can anchor a graphic to a paragraph in a dedicated style and save the empty (or dummy) paragraph as an AutoText entry (building block in Word 2007). -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Ciceronian" <Ciceronian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B59E0C...

How to Return from A Word document back to the Shape were I was.
Would someone tell me how do I go back to a flowchart diagram from a Microsoft Word document after I select a shape and link to that document. I have problems going back to the diagram where I was prior to linking to the document. Do I have to copy the document to a VISIO file (.vsd) so I can add navigation shapes to it and in that way I can go back to the original flowchart diagram? Thanks. Ely. I dont quite understand what you would like to do. Can you explain further? Have you tried hyperlinking the shape to the Word document? -- -ronnie [MS] This posting is provided "A...

Removing an item from menu

Need to remove selected characters

punblisher and word prcoessing software
can publisher be used as word processing sofware? Not very successfully, it's a desktop publishing program. If you don't have the $, download and install OpenOffice. OpenOffice Writer is an excellent word processor — very similar to MS Word. "shelagh" <shelagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:834CE68F-4492-466A-91DC-694F807C578C@microsoft.com... > can publisher be used as word processing sofware? It *could* but it's not the best tool for that job. Specifically what do you want to do? -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask...

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

line chart question
I am making some line charts and am wondering if anyone knows a simple way to have the lines transition from data point to data point in crisp 95-degree angles, rather than direct lines as is the default. Thanks for any suggestions. Mike, I think your requirements need clarification. If it's a line chart, then the items on the x (category) axis will be equally spaced, and the angles at each point will only be 95 (or any) degrees for certain values of the data points. What do you want to adjust to force these angles? -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake....

adding rules via command line
Hello, Is there a way to add a rule via command-line or to import a set of exported rules via command line? -thanks Moody No. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "moody" <moody@telepacific.com> wrote in message news:ae7e01c4886f$881e96f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there a way to add a rule via command-line or to import > a set of exported rules via command line? > > -thanks > > Moody ...

Online form ~ I have word 2003 and 2007
Hello, I am trying to create an online form that will allow for a limited amount of characters per field. For example: Name: 20 Characters at length and so on Date: 15 Characters Title of the reading: 40 characters Please advise, Thanks -- astro44 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader an...

How do I log in as administrator in to word 2007?
My problem is when I tryed to disable or delete some add ins word does not allow me and telling me that I should log in as administrator. I am already loged in as administrator and there is no other user accounts on my computer. How can I log in as administrator? Operating system win 7 and office 2007. I like to thank you in advance for answers. "Black Falcon" <Black Falcon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9599983A-97D2-4A10-9552-92EB071ABDCC@microsoft.com... > My problem is when I tryed to disable or delete some add ins word does > not ...

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Removing password protection on a sheet