Ghost brackets

Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and leaving
them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then people
are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to real
brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?

jpmcewan,
Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you
go to Tools - Options - View - under view section uncheck bookmarks. They
should not be inserted automatically by simple selecting text though.

--

Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

"jpmcewan" <jpmcewan@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and
> leaving
> them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
> brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
> inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then
> people
> are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to
> real
> brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?

0
Luc
12/12/2009 10:41:13 AM
But Bookmark brackets don't look like ordinary text brackets?

On Dec 12, 5:41=A0am, "Luc" <lu...@NOTREalpandora.be> wrote:
> jpmcewan,
> Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless =
you
> go to Tools - Options - View - under view section uncheck bookmarks. They
> should not be inserted automatically by simple selecting text though.
>
> --
>
> Luc Sanders
> MVP - PowerPoint
>
> "jpmcewan" <jpmce...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in berichtnews:B8=
54EC5E-B997-4AA4-A9B4-F3FFC0C5DC56@microsoft.com...

> > Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and
> > leaving
> > them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
> > brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
> > inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then
> > people
> > are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to
> > real
> > brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?-
0
Peter
12/12/2009 1:34:34 PM
That was my thought as well, and a recipient wouldn't see them unless he
also had bookmarks displayed, which most people don't by default.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

On Dec 12, 5:41 am, "Luc" <lu...@NOTREalpandora.be> wrote:
> jpmcewan,
> Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless
> you
> go to Tools - Options - View - under view section uncheck bookmarks. They
> should not be inserted automatically by simple selecting text though.
>
> --
>
> Luc Sanders
> MVP - PowerPoint
>
> "jpmcewan" <jpmce...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in
> berichtnews:B854EC5E-B997-4AA4-A9B4-F3FFC0C5DC56@microsoft.com...
>

> > Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and
> > leaving
> > them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
> > brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
> > inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then
> > people
> > are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to
> > real
> > brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?-

0
Suzanne
12/12/2009 2:40:46 PM
Thanks, Luc, but in Word 2008 I don't find "Options" under Tools. Searching
help for "bookmarks" reveals only references to bookmarks for the web.

The brackets are not really identical to typed brackets, they are taller.

I guess I still need help getting rid of them.
JPM

"Luc" wrote:

> jpmcewan,
> Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you
> go to Tools - Options - View - under view section uncheck bookmarks. They
> should not be inserted automatically by simple selecting text though.
>
> --
>
> Luc Sanders
> MVP - PowerPoint
>
> "jpmcewan" <jpmcewan@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and
> > leaving
> > them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
> > brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
> > inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then
> > people
> > are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to
> > real
> > brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?
>
> .

Sorry, I was wrong, they're not really identical.
JPM

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> But Bookmark brackets don't look like ordinary text brackets?
>
> On Dec 12, 5:41 am, "Luc" <lu...@NOTREalpandora.be> wrote:
> > jpmcewan,
> > Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you
> > go to Tools - Options - View - under view section uncheck bookmarks. They
> > should not be inserted automatically by simple selecting text though.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Luc Sanders
> > MVP - PowerPoint
> >
> > "jpmcewan" <jpmce...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in berichtnews:B854EC5E-B997-4AA4-A9B4-F3FFC0C5DC56@microsoft.com...
> >

> > > Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and
> > > leaving
> > > them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
> > > brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
> > > inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then
> > > people
> > > are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to
> > > real
> > > brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?-
> .

The Mac equivalent of Options is Preferences, I think. And for Mac-specific
questions, you can always ask in the Macword group at
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"jpmcewan" <jpmcewan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Luc, but in Word 2008 I don't find "Options" under Tools.
> Searching
> help for "bookmarks" reveals only references to bookmarks for the web.
>
> The brackets are not really identical to typed brackets, they are taller.
>
> I guess I still need help getting rid of them.
> JPM
>

> "Luc" wrote:
>
>> jpmcewan,
>> Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless
>> you
>> go to Tools - Options - View - under view section uncheck bookmarks. They
>> should not be inserted automatically by simple selecting text though.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Luc Sanders
>> MVP - PowerPoint
>>
>> "jpmcewan" <jpmcewan@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> > Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and
>> > leaving
>> > them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting
>> > brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've
>> > inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then
>> > people
>> > are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to
>> > real
>> > brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this?
>>
>> .

0
Suzanne

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

Extracting Data with in Brackets [ ...... ]
I only want the data that is contained in the brackets. I only need the address and not the directions to the places. Any and all hepl is appreciated. Depart 786 BROOKHURST BOULEVARD [786 BROOKHURST BOULEVARD, LATHROP, CA 95330] on Brookhurst Blvd (East) 76 yds Turn RIGHT (South) onto Late Harvest Pl 0.1 mi Road name changes to Grapevine Pl 43 yds Turn RIGHT (South) onto Winter Wheat Ln 54 yds At 17950 WINTER WHEAT LANE [17950 WINTER WHEAT LANE, LATHROP, CA 95330], return North on Winter Wheat Ln 54 yds Turn RIGHT (East) onto Grapevine Pl 142 yds Turn RIGHT (South) onto Rusty Pl...

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

Ghost typing
Windows XP running on an older Dell PC. Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior. When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar, notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet that has worked fl...

XMLTextWriter (VB.NET) problem with quotes and brackets
I am writing an XML file using XMLTextWriter and running into a problem with the following code xtm.WriteAttributeString("subject", fullsubject.Trim) fullsubject here is a string like "a quick 'brown' fox jumped < over the "cow" who was sleeping" The xml file output replaces the " and < etc with stuff like &quot; &lt . Problem is this file is then read into tnaother program which doesnt substitute the &quot; &lt with the actual characters they represent. Is there a way to get past this? Fix the bug in the other progra...

Ghost brackets
Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and leaving them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then people are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to real brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this? jpmcewan, Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you go to Tools - Options - View - under view section unc...

Ghost Recipient
I have a user name Jonh Doe in my contact list, and when I type in John in the "To" box two options for John Doe come up, one with the correct address and one wiht the incorrect address. I have searched my contact list for this second conact, but can't find it. Where would Outlook be finding this contact? If you right click it, and select find contact, Outlook can't, but it does give you the option to add it. I thought Outlook only searched designated contact info for address, where is this Ghost coming from? Autoresolve doesn't do lookups to any contacts l...

Ghost accounts won't stay deleted!!!
Hi, I have an MBNA CC, and I've been unsuccesful in connecting to their server. In the process, I have tried twice to delete the account and recreate it. Now each time I try to update my accounts, the deleted accounts come back as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2". Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it? Thanks, JD JD, I'm also having problems downloading data for my MBNA CC. I am receiving "your last call encountered an error" message. I'm also having problems with Tropical Finacial Credit Union. One night I could...

ghost items
When we setup RMS we used a suppliers disk to import all their items. Recently, I used a query to delete all items that were never sold or recieved, so that I would have a more manageable item list, as there were about 16000 items that we were never going to use. Now I'm running into some instances where an ILC can't be used on a new item because the system says it's already being used. When I try to pull up that item in the Item list nothings there. However, if I create a PO and enter the ILC in quickscan, it will put in an item that has no info at all, no description, or...

Ghost spreadsheet?
Today I am suddenly experiencing a weird problem: I cannot see some of the spreadsheets we have saved both on the desktop and on the server. The files are listed, I can click on them, Excel opens but the spreadsheet does not appear, I only see the light blue background; note that on two fields in the toolbar, right below the Ribbon, I see the cell number in the first and the value on the second; changing the cell number changes also the value on the second field therefore the spreadsheet is there, it is just not visible. I tried to reboot both the desktop and the server but no luck. We...

Ghost font
I use the previous month's newsletter as a template each month. Whenever I open the file, there is a mystery font that is not being used called MS Shell dig. I click okay and ignore it. Is there any way to locate where the font is and remove it? This article can help http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/ui_font.html This may give insight too. http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/V6/D/D403.html -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dandyman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4...

Ghosting Accounts
ex.I have an sbcglobal account and subaccounts.if I set up outlook to retriev username@companyname.net instead of username@sbcglobal.net ican send but not receive.detination show from username@companyname.net if they repliey to it i can get...but if compose and type username@companyname.net it goes to the companyname@sbcglobal.net which is the primary account at internet provider.so how I set up to retreve e mails sent to subaccount? is it outlook settings or internet provider settings? or maybe this will help....I was told to Ghost the account!?!?! Thank you!!! I understand you hav...

how do i get negative numbers in brackets in Excel
i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets but this is the accounting convention is it hidden in excel or do i need a plug in Hi Maverick, Enter numbers using the minus symbol, but format your cells: Format => Cells => Number [tab] and in the Type box, enter "#,##0.00_ ;[Red](#,##0.00) " (without the quotation marks). Ewan. "maverick accountant" wrote: > i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets > but this is the accounting convention > is it hidden in excel > or do i need a plug in ...

Ghosting an Exchange 5.5. server
I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space. So I ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting things back in order. Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not have done it that way? Tim I would never trust ghost with something as important as Exchange 5.5. Did you try to run the defrag utilities for Exch 5.5 before you decided to ghost? Running "eseutil /d" on the priv files will defragment the database files. Once, I was able ...

Norton ghost not working
Hello: I'm trying to use Norton Ghost 2003 to backup my winxp partition, but when finally I click on the "Proceed to dump partition" I get: "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slotsleft on the boot disk." what's the problem and can it be fixed?? (The laptop comes originally with a single partition c: containing vista, at that time I created two new partitions d: and e:, then I installed win xp sp3 on d: and I'm using it, c: still containing vista but it'...

Exchange Ghost Mailbox
Hello, I am the Exchange Administrator of my network. We recently have migrated to Exchange 2003 from another e-mail system. In order to assist some remote users with the migration and with sharing certain folders, I had added their Exchange accounts temporarily to my own Outlook profile. When finished, I removed them. I have done this with nearly 20 or 30 accounts with no problems. I have finished now and there are a couple of Exchange mailboxes that remain in my profile although there is no configuration referring to them. I have tried re-creating my PST and OST files from scratch, b...

outlook ghost
I'm running office 2000 on win 98. All was fine but now when I switch between folders, another standard toolbar automatically appears. Happens everytime. Any fix or cause? K Hi Try repairing Outlook. Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. Click on Outlook/Office and click Repair. If not, try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook/Office. It would be worth checking your computer for Adware. Get a free trial of Ad-Aware and scan your system Injexion Try renaming your outcmd.dat file to outcmd.old while Outlook is closed -- it's the file that hold toolbar c...

Parameter button is ghosted
Ok, I'm going to give this another shot. My orginal question was a little vauge so I've rewritten below: 1) I use Data>Import External Date>New Database Query 2) I then brows to an Access data base, select the table and fields I want, complete the wizard and return the data to a sheet in Excel. 3) The data is correct and updates correctly but the parameter button is ghosted. I realize you have to have a cell selected within the data range and and I do. Any ideas? The parameter button will become available if the query contains a parameter. To add one: Select a cell...

Ghost messages
Hi, Every time I ask Outlook 2003 to search for new messages, it reports more messages than it actually downloads. In one of the accounts, it reports 2 messages higher (if it reports the download of 3 new messages, actually I find only one. If it reports the download of two messages, there is no new message at all). How can I fix it? SantistaS ...

Ghost in the outbox??
I have been experienceing a situation where Outlook 03 is attempting to send a message and returning the following error (everytime I send/receive) even though there is nothing in the outbox: Task 'Mitch DRS - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' Any new outgoing messages go just fine and the status bar alway shows that Outlook is attempting to send one more message than is in the outbox...

Ghost in the machine?
I have Outlook 2002. My hard drive crashed last week, we trashed it and added a new one. I had to import an old address book into Outlook express on our computer, and then import from there to Outlook 2002. the problem is I have a group contact list I send to, and there seems to be a ghost in the machine..we cannot find this email address anywhere on my computer, yet the group continues to try to send to this now-defunct email address. Is there a way to search out email addresses and delte them? The normal select recipients/add/delete obviously won't work because we cannot locate...

Ghost folders
I had two problems while importing my Outlook Express data to Outlook 2003... The first import failed and killed Outlook when the pst file size got to more than 2gb... so I created a new Personal Folders file of the new 2003 Unicode type, pointed my Outlook accounts to use it, then redid the import. 1) During the import, in a number of my imported folders, I got hundreds of "undeliverable in the subject line" messages that never existed in my old Express folders. ANy idea why this would happen? 2) I not have everything working fine with my main Unicode Personal Folders file... b...

AndAlso, OrElse and brackets
We have been having a lively debate at work about whether or not we should use brackets with conditionals that contain AndAlso. This is because AndAlso has precedence over OrElse and I say that it makes code more manageable if brackets are included. False OrElse True AndAlso False will return False because AndAlso has precedence over OrElse. I say that this is better written as: False OrElse (True AndAlso False) What do you think? I agree with you - include the parentheses. More so with less often used constructs, and more so with more complex expressions. Intent will be cl...

Ghost Folder
Hi, I have a puzzler here and I wonder if anyone out there has had this one happen. It's with our e-mail program, Outlook 2002, and I have just noticed a duplicate folder pop up under weird circumstances. Here it is: A message, or messages, are received, opened, then filed. It is with the filing that there's a peculiarity. There are a number of ways of doing it but the obvious ones are as follows: 1) Right click the item in the INBOX, and up comes a list of folders to which the message can be moved to, and 2) Click a tab on one of the taskbars and up comes a list, allbeit an a...