Form Fields

I have created a form for use by others. I used the Text form fields format 
when creating the form, my problem is the main text in the form does not stay 
locked in place. When we try to type to fill in the form fields it moves the 
main body text. I have tried using the  Document Protection tab and telling 
it to allow formatting only in the form fields but that still does not 
prevent the other text from moving. I did this in word 2007. Any idea on what 
to do to lock the main body in to allow filling in just the Form fields.
0
Utf
12/17/2009 8:00:08 PM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
971 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 34

Hi Michael,

The simplest way to gain control over the formatting is to put the formfield into a sigle-cell table with the column width and row 
height fixed at the maximum allowable dimensions.

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14E82E72-E98B-4172-A224-C645F71066DD@microsoft.com...
>I have created a form for use by others. I used the Text form fields format
> when creating the form, my problem is the main text in the form does not stay
> locked in place. When we try to type to fill in the form fields it moves the
> main body text. I have tried using the  Document Protection tab and telling
> it to allow formatting only in the form fields but that still does not
> prevent the other text from moving. I did this in word 2007. Any idea on what
> to do to lock the main body in to allow filling in just the Form fields. 

0
macropod
12/17/2009 9:59:27 PM
I tried to do the steps you suggested but now the problem is every time I try 
to put the cell in behind my text it moves the text off the page and leaves 2 
inches between the end of text and the cell. Could you tell me in laymens 
terms how to do this, I read some other posts but I can't add the tabs they 
say. When I go to word options and click on more commands then find the table 
tab and click add it does not add it to the toolbar or the ribbon.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> 
> The simplest way to gain control over the formatting is to put the formfield into a sigle-cell table with the column width and row 
> height fixed at the maximum allowable dimensions.
> 
> -- 
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
> 
> 
> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14E82E72-E98B-4172-A224-C645F71066DD@microsoft.com...
> >I have created a form for use by others. I used the Text form fields format
> > when creating the form, my problem is the main text in the form does not stay
> > locked in place. When we try to type to fill in the form fields it moves the
> > main body text. I have tried using the  Document Protection tab and telling
> > it to allow formatting only in the form fields but that still does not
> > prevent the other text from moving. I did this in word 2007. Any idea on what
> > to do to lock the main body in to allow filling in just the Form fields. 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/19/2009 2:51:01 PM
Word 2007? Insert a single table cell. It will adopt a new line and fill the 
space between the margins. Drag the edges to make it a size to fit where you 
want the field to be, then drag it into place. From the design ribbon tab 
set no borders. From the layout ribbon tab - Autofit > fixed column width/ 
Right click the cell, Table Properties > Row > set the height to an 
appropriate exact measurement . Insert your legacy text form field in the 
cell. Protect the document for forms. Job done.

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:9B6A92BA-5692-4384-B998-6B65DF3F73C1@microsoft.com...
>I tried to do the steps you suggested but now the problem is every time I 
>try
> to put the cell in behind my text it moves the text off the page and 
> leaves 2
> inches between the end of text and the cell. Could you tell me in laymens
> terms how to do this, I read some other posts but I can't add the tabs 
> they
> say. When I go to word options and click on more commands then find the 
> table
> tab and click add it does not add it to the toolbar or the ribbon.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> The simplest way to gain control over the formatting is to put the 
>> formfield into a sigle-cell table with the column width and row
>> height fixed at the maximum allowable dimensions.
>>
>> -- 
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>
>>
>> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:14E82E72-E98B-4172-A224-C645F71066DD@microsoft.com...
>> >I have created a form for use by others. I used the Text form fields 
>> >format
>> > when creating the form, my problem is the main text in the form does 
>> > not stay
>> > locked in place. When we try to type to fill in the form fields it 
>> > moves the
>> > main body text. I have tried using the  Document Protection tab and 
>> > telling
>> > it to allow formatting only in the form fields but that still does not
>> > prevent the other text from moving. I did this in word 2007. Any idea 
>> > on what
>> > to do to lock the main body in to allow filling in just the Form 
>> > fields.
>>
>> .
>> 


0
Graham
12/19/2009 3:20:05 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Excel,Auto fit
How can I make a large text field display all the lines on my spreadsheet and when I print it. About 1024k of characters will print, otherwise you'd need to use a text box Regards, Peo Sjoblom "ancastle" wrote: > How can I make a large text field display all the lines on my spreadsheet and > when I print it. Oops! Not 1024k, about 1kb or 1024 characters Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Peo Sjoblom" wrote: > About 1024k of characters will print, otherwise you'd need to use a text box > > Regards, > > Peo Sjoblom > > "ancastle"...

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

User Defined Field (String)
Does anyone know of a way I can force a user-defined field (I'm working specifically with User Defined 1 in Sales Trx Entry - a String(20) field) to force formatting at data entry time to US dollar (eg. $100.00) formatting? Either with VBA or Modifier? I would need to do this a couple of individual User Defined fields in the SOP User Defined fields entry window. Thanks in advance. Not a good way to do this - you could maybe use a vba event to format the data after the user enters it but vba isn't real happy typically of setting the current field when running its ...

Auto populate a form form an open form
Hi I have a main form with customer names and addresses and would like to add a control button on this form which opens up another form which is used for recording telephone calls on. What I have been trying to do is auto populate this call log form with information from the main form ie name and address? Any thoughts Thanks Chris Chris, Please don't re-post the same question twice. You have to be patient and wait for a reply. Responders are volunteers, and you may not get an answer right away. Posting twice causes some people to respond to the first post, while others are ...

form pozition on screen
I would like to find form position on screen. It's similar to DoCmd.movesize, but I want discover "parameters' for form position (left corner, top corner, etc) Are you saying that you want to find out what the current position IS? If so, you can use something like this: MyFormLeftVariable = Me.Left MyFormTopVariable = Me.Top MsgBox "My Form is at " & MyFormLeftVariable & VbCrLf & MyFormTopVariable Or however you want to use it. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com ___________...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

What is the purpose of 'Dummy' window in the Command forms
I am wondering why GP has Dummy window with title "~internal~" for the Command forms. For example Command_Financial form has Dummy window Do I need to create Dummy window for my Command forms. If so why I need it. Any comments appreciated!!! Hi Mandeep, The Dummy window is there as a placeholder. It really doesn't do anything, but should be there in order for the form to work properly since your form needs to be open for the commands to be available. The title ~internal~ just prevents this window from showing up in the Security assignment windows. Make sure that...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Report broken down by results from a calculated field
Hello, I have a query which calculates a date which is 100 days from the initial referral date. Other fields in the query are: patient ID, date of surgery and the reason why no surgery within 100 days of referral if applicable (this field is added through a combobox that only gives choice of 3 options). I would need a report that groups the results of the calculated field (those who had surgery within 100 days of initial referral, those who did not have surgery within 100 days and those who do not yet have surgery date. Those who do NOT have surgery within 100 days of referral, I nee...

Form class module for non-existent form
Hi, After copying a form with a class module, something went wrong. I now have a class module for the new form, but the form no longer exists. I am unable to remove the in-limbo class module. I want to use that name for my form, which is not possible as long as that class module is in the way. How do I get rid of the in-limbo class module? I've tried repairing tha DB as well as "msaccess /decompile" but it hasn't helped. Anything else? Thanks, Kjell Kjell, A class module is not part of a form, but a separate module. It sounds like your 'in-limbo' module is...

How to create Lookup fields
Hi ! Is it possible to create lookup fields ? During my customization I added a field mapping to contacts, created that field in the deployment manager & mapped it to Contact but on the form it's always a text field and not a lookup ,any ideas??? v1.2 of CRM does not support adding lookup fields. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:22:12 -0700, "Yara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Hi ! Is it possible to create lookup fields ? During my customization I added a field map...

Setting the Windows Cursor during Form Processing
hiya gurus I would like to force the mouse cursor to immediately become an hourglass when some long processing/quering commences on a form. it appears that it takes some time for Access to show the hourglass and usually only after the user clicks the form a couple of times because there appears to be nothing happening... Is there an easy way to do this from within Access.. I have done it in VB6 using Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass but this does nto work in Access.. any suggestions? cheers Jeff mmmmm Screen.MousePointer = 11 guess this does it? "jeff" <jeff@work...

Position 2nd Form according to 1st Form
I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, I want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top of the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. "AY" <AY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFA3A4B5-36D9-4A20-AB57-601290155335@microsoft.com... >I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, >I > want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top > of > the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. You should be able to use Nicole Calinoiu...

TOURNAMENT FORMS
Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. You may find some old NCAA basketball tournament forms out on the web. Try http://google.com HHSTENNIS wrote: > > Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Run Macro only if certain form is open
I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form opens? In other words can I run a macro based on wheather a certain form is active? -- Thanks, Chuck Take a look at the RunMacro Method of the DoCmd object. You can have it as part of the OnLoad of the form in question. Chuck wrote: >I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on >an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form >opens? In other w...

Forms and Input Data
I created a report form on Sheet 1 and a set of input data on subsequen Sheets 2, 3, ... link to the report. The report is to show informatio on either of the data I select. Are there simple steps for me to pick either set of data I want t display on the report? I've thought of a pull-down menu so that if select "1", the report will show data set "1", and so on. Yet I don' know how to do it. I tried the "replace" command by highlighting al the cell in the Report sheet then type "2" in place of "1" to replac the data set then hitting...

Modal form opens on startup
Evenin' - I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the information to export it from Access. When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of the fellow who wrote the Access app. Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for...

Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop ...

Temporary Form with 2 Sub form Update Main Form And its Sub form ?
I have 2 table both are exactly same PatientRecordTransTb And PatientRecordTb I know many programmer don’t like TempTb, but in my case I don’t trust some one to mess with my Main record table. So simple solution is make tamp table and after review I click to transfer all records from temp Table to main Table So I have two forms . PatientRecTransFm record sources = PatientRecordTransTb PatientRecordMainFm record source = PatientRecordTb PatientRecTransFm has 2 button AddRecord And Delete Record Here is a short story of my code (NOT A Actual Code) mySQLString = &quo...

Adding User Lookup Field
I am new to MS CRM and I am having trouble being able to add a lookup field to a customized entity. Basically, I just want to be able to let users select a user from the CRM user list from a lookup field. I cannot seem to find a way to reference it. I'm sure it is rather easy to do, but I've been stumbling about on this. Can anyone help? Thanks, Larry Larry, This can be accomplished, but at the moment cannot be done with the standard configuration tools. Here are some options: 1. Use a picklist to store the user names (reasonable if you have a reasonably smaller numbe...

how to solve "Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application"
Hi, I am trying to make a modalless form in VB6 that is compiled as an ActiveX DLL. When i use VC6 to instance the activex DLL, my problem appears that "406 Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application from an ActiveX DLL, ActiveX control or Property Page." I have my form in modalless style in VB6 and they should be instanced in VC. Does anyone know how to get this to work ? Many Thanks, Xiao http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176468 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "arbidol" <arbidol@tom...

Customization to a Contact Form Does NOT Stick
Everytime I try to add a field in a Contact form, the change does not stick. I have administrator rights, followed the instructions to customize a form to the t. The instructions entailed going to: Home -> Settings Settings tab -> System Customization Record Management -> Contacts Add Fields -select fields to add ok - > save work On the CRM server Start -> Programs -> Microsoft CRM -> Deployment Manager Right click: Deployment Manager -> All Tasks ->Publish Customization Select form customized Add Finish OK Restart IIS After performing these steps, I get b...

I need book lending forms
Please I need your help, I'm looking for book lending forms in order to keep control of which books I'm borrowing and when they have to be returned to me. Thanks ...

autonumber is it possible to link two fields
Hi, Iam trying to do a project for uni and i need to have a letter infront of the id number that is generated. pls help! I have 15 unique ids and 3 variables, the 3 variables are to specify if the game in question, a league, cup or friendly so i need a F,C or L infront of the id num, all three of the variables are in a list box hope that helps! If you check Access HELP for "autonumber", or search on-line for "Access" and "autonumber", you'll find that Microsoft Access does NOT do that for an Autonumber data type field. Given that this is a &q...

Using list box to open forms
I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks. On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:35:22 -0000, lecoughlin@gmail.com wrote: > I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would > like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, > and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this > would be appreciated. > > Thanks. Code the list box Double-Cli...