Find and Replace any digit

I am working in Word 2007.

I am trying for a different find and replace option but I am not getting
what I want. Here is the scenario:

I have many documents in which the phone numbers are given as
(000)-000-0000. I want all the numbers to replace with +1 prefixed and
without brackets and dashes, like this, +1 000 000 0000.
Now, I am able to find the numbers using ^# (any digit) in "Find What" by
entering(^#^#^#)-^#^#^#-^#^#^#^#.
But couldn't replace with the format I am looking for which is +1 ^#^#^#
^#^#^# ^#^#^#^# (+1 prefixed and no dashes).
It is giving me error when I give in Replace With field.

I can still use Find What using the any digit option, but manually need to
retype, hence, it will be really great if someone can give me the easiest way
to use Replace command. There are many documents with minimum 100 pages and
with phone numbers entered in different locations which I need to replace
with the format I required. Again, I am using Vista and Word 2007

Many thanks in advance!

vvskpk

Use wildcards.  Find:

\(([0-9]{3})\)(-[0-9]{3}-[0-9]{4})

Replace with:

1-\1\2

vvskpk wrote:
> I am working in Word 2007.
>
> I am trying for a different find and replace option but I am not
> getting what I want. Here is the scenario:
>
> I have many documents in which the phone numbers are given as
> (000)-000-0000. I want all the numbers to replace with +1 prefixed and
> without brackets and dashes, like this, +1 000 000 0000.
> Now, I am able to find the numbers using ^# (any digit) in "Find
> What" by entering(^#^#^#)-^#^#^#-^#^#^#^#.
> But couldn't replace with the format I am looking for which is +1
> ^#^#^# ^#^#^# ^#^#^#^# (+1 prefixed and no dashes).
> It is giving me error when I give in Replace With field.
>
> I can still use Find What using the any digit option, but manually
> need to retype, hence, it will be really great if someone can give me
> the easiest way to use Replace command. There are many documents with
> minimum 100 pages and with phone numbers entered in different
> locations which I need to replace with the format I required. Again,
> I am using Vista and Word 2007
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>

> vvskpk

0
Greg
11/27/2009 5:26:02 AM
It should be
\(([0-9]{3})\)-([0-9]{3})-([0-9]{4})
replace with
+1 \1 \2 \3
if you want to remove the dashes also.
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

You can paste these strings to the dialog boxes in the following batch
process to search all the documents in a folder

Public Sub BatchReplaceAnywhere()
'Macro by Doug Robbins - 1st March 2004
'with additional input from Peter Hewett
'and Graham Mayor 'to replace text in all the documents in a folder
Dim FirstLoop As Boolean
Dim myFile As String
Dim strPath As String
Dim myDoc As Document
Dim rngstory As Word.Range
Dim findText As String
Dim Replacement As String
Dim fDialog As FileDialog
Set fDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
With fDialog
    .title = "Select Folder containing the documents to be modifed and click
OK"
    .AllowMultiSelect = False
    .InitialView = msoFileDialogViewList
    If .Show <> -1 Then
        MsgBox "Cancelled By User"
        Exit Sub
    End If
    strPath = fDialog.SelectedItems.Item(1)
    If Right(strPath, 1) <> "\" Then strPath = strPath + "\"
End With
'Close any documents that may be open
If Documents.Count > 0 Then
    Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If
FirstLoop = True
myFile = Dir$(strPath & "*.doc")
While myFile <> ""
    'Get the text to be replaced and the replacement
    If FirstLoop = True Then
        findText = InputBox("Enter the text that you want to replace.", _
        "Batch Replace Anywhere")
        If findText = "" Then
            MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
            Exit Sub
        End If
TryAgain:
        Replacement = InputBox("Enter the replacement text.", _
        "Batch ReplaceAnywhere ")
        If Replacement = "" Then
            Response = MsgBox("Do you just want to delete the found text?",
_
            vbYesNoCancel)
            If Response = vbNo Then
                GoTo TryAgain
            ElseIf Response = vbCancel Then
                MsgBox "Cancelled by User."
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End If
        FirstLoop = False
    End If
    'Open each file and make the replacement
    Set myDoc = Documents.Open(strPath & myFile)
    ' Fix the skipped blank Header/Footer problem
    MakeHFValid
    ' Iterate through all story types in the current document
    For Each rngstory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
        ' Iterate through all linked stories
        Do
            SearchAndReplaceInStory rngstory, _
            findText, Replacement
            ' Get next linked story (if any)
            Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
        Loop Until rngstory Is Nothing
    Next
    'Close the file, saving the changes.
    myDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdSaveChanges
    myFile = Dir$()
Wend
End Sub

Public Sub SearchAndReplaceInStory(ByVal rngstory As Word.Range, _
                                   ByVal strSearch As String, _
                                   ByVal strReplace As String)
'This routine supplied by Peter Hewett
    Do Until (rngstory Is Nothing)
        With rngstory.Find
            .ClearFormatting
            .Replacement.ClearFormatting
            .Text = strSearch
            .Replacement.Text = strReplace
            .Forward = True
            .Wrap = wdFindContinue
            .Format = False
            .MatchCase = False
            .MatchWholeWord = False
            .MatchAllWordForms = False
            .MatchSoundsLike = False
            .MatchWildcards = True
            .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
        End With
       Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
    Loop
End Sub

Public Sub MakeHFValid()
    Dim lngJunk As Long
    lngJunk = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(1).Range.StoryType
End Sub

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg Maxey wrote:
> Use wildcards.  Find:
>
> \(([0-9]{3})\)(-[0-9]{3}-[0-9]{4})
>
> Replace with:
>
> 1-\1\2
>
> vvskpk wrote:
>> I am working in Word 2007.
>>
>> I am trying for a different find and replace option but I am not
>> getting what I want. Here is the scenario:
>>
>> I have many documents in which the phone numbers are given as
>> (000)-000-0000. I want all the numbers to replace with +1 prefixed
>> and without brackets and dashes, like this, +1 000 000 0000.
>> Now, I am able to find the numbers using ^# (any digit) in "Find
>> What" by entering(^#^#^#)-^#^#^#-^#^#^#^#.
>> But couldn't replace with the format I am looking for which is +1
>> ^#^#^# ^#^#^# ^#^#^#^# (+1 prefixed and no dashes).
>> It is giving me error when I give in Replace With field.
>>
>> I can still use Find What using the any digit option, but manually
>> need to retype, hence, it will be really great if someone can give me
>> the easiest way to use Replace command. There are many documents with
>> minimum 100 pages and with phone numbers entered in different
>> locations which I need to replace with the format I required. Again,
>> I am using Vista and Word 2007
>>
>> Many thanks in advance!
>>

>> vvskpk

0
Graham
11/27/2009 5:59:14 AM
Graham,

Well said. Perfectly expressed. I missed the part on omiting the dashes.

Graham Mayor wrote:
> [...]
>>> getting what I want. Here is the scenario:
>>>
>>> I have many documents in which the phone numbers are given as
>>> (000)-000-0000. I want all the numbers to replace with +1 prefixed
>>> and without brackets and dashes, like this, +1 000 000 0000.
>>> Now, I am able to find the numbers using ^# (any digit) in "Find
>>> What" by entering(^#^#^#)-^#^#^#-^#^#^#^#.
>>> But couldn't replace with the format I am looking for which is +1
>>> ^#^#^# ^#^#^# ^#^#^#^# (+1 prefixed and no dashes).
>>> It is giving me error when I give in Replace With field.
>>>
>>> I can still use Find What using the any digit option, but manually
>>> need to retype, hence, it will be really great if someone can give
>>> me the easiest way to use Replace command. There are many documents
>>> with minimum 100 pages and with phone numbers entered in different
>>> locations which I need to replace with the format I required. Again,

0
Greg
11/27/2009 6:24:50 AM
I missed it too until I tested the macro and saw the result ;)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg Maxey wrote:
> [...]
>> 'This routine supplied by Peter Hewett
>>    Do Until (rngstory Is Nothing)
>>        With rngstory.Find
>>            .ClearFormatting
>>            .Replacement.ClearFormatting
>>            .Text = strSearch
>>            .Replacement.Text = strReplace
>>            .Forward = True
>>            .Wrap = wdFindContinue
>>            .Format = False
>>            .MatchCase = False
>>            .MatchWholeWord = False
>>            .MatchAllWordForms = False
>>            .MatchSoundsLike = False
>>            .MatchWildcards = True
>>            .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
>>        End With
>>       Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
>>    Loop
>> End Sub
>>
>> Public Sub MakeHFValid()
>>    Dim lngJunk As Long
>>    lngJunk = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(1).Range.StoryType

0
Graham
11/27/2009 6:46:39 AM
Considering your thoroughness, I think you should be absolved of the crime
of expressing yourself poorly.  You should not have to care that heavy
burden of guilt.
Do you think it would do any good to petition an appeal from the self
appointed newsgroup courtesy and expression quality policeman?

Graham Mayor wrote:
> [...]
>>> 'This routine supplied by Peter Hewett
>>>    Do Until (rngstory Is Nothing)
>>>        With rngstory.Find
>>>            .ClearFormatting
>>>            .Replacement.ClearFormatting
>>>            .Text = strSearch
>>>            .Replacement.Text = strReplace
>>>            .Forward = True
>>>            .Wrap = wdFindContinue
>>>            .Format = False
>>>            .MatchCase = False
>>>            .MatchWholeWord = False
>>>            .MatchAllWordForms = False
>>>            .MatchSoundsLike = False
>>>            .MatchWildcards = True
>>>            .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
>>>        End With
>>>       Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
>>>    Loop
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Public Sub MakeHFValid()
>>>    Dim lngJunk As Long
>>>    lngJunk = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(1).Range.StoryType

0
Greg
11/27/2009 1:10:25 PM
I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"

But also, did you get the gender of the member of the police service
correct?

<G, D & R V,V,F>

"Greg Maxey" <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in message
> Considering your thoroughness, I think you should be absolved of the crime
> of expressing yourself poorly.  You should not have to care that heavy
> burden of guilt.
> Do you think it would do any good to petition an appeal from the self
> appointed newsgroup courtesy and expression quality policeman?
>
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> I missed it too until I tested the macro and saw the result ;)
>>

>> Greg Maxey wrote:
>>> Graham,
>>>
>>> Well said. Perfectly expressed. I missed the part on omiting the
>>> dashes.

0
Doug
11/27/2009 1:43:34 PM
> I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"

You may often wonder, but never know.  It could have been intentional and
fodder for my critics. ;-)

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
> I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"
>

> <G, D & R V,V,F>

> "Greg Maxey" <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in
> message news:#X$j6L2bKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Considering your thoroughness, I think you should be absolved of the
>> crime of expressing yourself poorly.  You should not have to care
>> that heavy burden of guilt.
>> Do you think it would do any good to petition an appeal from the self
>> appointed newsgroup courtesy and expression quality policeman?
>>
>> Graham Mayor wrote:
>>> I missed it too until I tested the macro and saw the result ;)

0
Greg
11/27/2009 2:05:47 PM
Hi
Thanks for your kind suggestions. BUT I am sorry to say that it's not
working. I tried putting this in the Find and Replace but is not working. In
Find What I typed/copied "\(([0-9]{3})\)-([0-9]{3})-([0-9]{4})" and in
Replace with I typed "+1 \1 \2 \3". It is giving me error saying "Word has
finished searching the document. The search item was not found".  If this
thread is still active, please suggest new or correct exisiting one. I am
posting this again hoping that this thread is not active.

Please help me! Really appreacite your authenticity, knowledge, experience
and transparency in sharing about the subject.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

> > I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"
>
> You may often wonder, but never know.  It could have been intentional and
> fodder for my critics. ;-)
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
> > I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"
> >

> > <G, D & R V,V,F>
> >
> > Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
> >
> > "Greg Maxey" <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in
> > message news:#X$j6L2bKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> >> Considering your thoroughness, I think you should be absolved of the
> >> crime of expressing yourself poorly.  You should not have to care
> >> that heavy burden of guilt.
> >> Do you think it would do any good to petition an appeal from the self
> >> appointed newsgroup courtesy and expression quality policeman?

> .

Have you checked the options "More" "Use Wildcards?"

vvskpk wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks for your kind suggestions. BUT I am sorry to say that it's not
> working. I tried putting this in the Find and Replace but is not
> working. In Find What I typed/copied
> "\(([0-9]{3})\)-([0-9]{3})-([0-9]{4})" and in Replace with I typed
> "+1 \1 \2 \3". It is giving me error saying "Word has finished
> searching the document. The search item was not found".  If this
> thread is still active, please suggest new or correct exisiting one.
> I am posting this again hoping that this thread is not active.
>
> Please help me! Really appreacite your authenticity, knowledge,
> experience and transparency in sharing about the subject.
>
> "Greg Maxey" wrote:
>
>>> I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"
>>
>> You may often wonder, but never know.  It could have been
>> intentional and fodder for my critics. ;-)
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
>>> I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"
>>>

>>> <G, D & R V,V,F>
>>>
>>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
>>>
>>> "Greg Maxey" <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in
>>> message news:#X$j6L2bKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

>> .

0
Greg
11/30/2009 2:20:49 AM
This is a special kind of search.  You must put a check in the  card box.
(Click "more" in the find dialog to reveal  more options.)

HTH,
Pam

vvskpk wrote:
>Hi
>Thanks for your kind suggestions. BUT I am sorry to say that it's not
>working. I tried putting this in the Find and Replace but is not working. In
>Find What I typed/copied "\(([0-9]{3})\)-([0-9]{3})-([0-9]{4})" and in
>Replace with I typed "+1 \1 \2 \3". It is giving me error saying "Word has
>finished searching the document. The search item was not found".  If this
>thread is still active, please suggest new or correct exisiting one. I am
>posting this again hoping that this thread is not active.
>
>Please help me! Really appreacite your authenticity, knowledge, experience
>and transparency in sharing about the subject.
>
>> > I guess you meant to say "carry", not "care"
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 169 lines]
>>
>> .

Pamelia

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Let's pick a replacement for this (Access) newsgroup 2
There were two big threads on the original 6/1/10 post in the General Questions and New User sections. The gist of the original post was: Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup for when poor-listener Microsoft drops it. Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully replace this one? If interested, please respond to this with your recommendation. Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with your email address at North9000 at gmail dot com and I'll try to collect / send out...

Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change
Good morning, I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a neighboring page. Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of the old data. When I do this the report's left most column field names all change from FieldName to FieldName2. When I look in the drop down box for that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data. I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2 to FieldName"space""space". I can't change to just FieldName because that is already in use. M...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

cannot find database

WinFax replacement
I wrote an Access app years ago for a client and it uses WinFax pro to send out invoices. They need to upgrade but WinFax is gone thanks to the wisdom (LOL) of Symantec. Does anyone know of a good replacement that can be referenced from vba and will allow us to send out Access reports? Thanks, Keith I'm moving this to the microsoft.public.access newsgroup. There's not enough activity here for this to get any attention. If you see this here and have an answer, please answer it there. Thanks. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in messag...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

How do I find the out of office reply?

Limiting Digits in a Cell
Is there any way to limit the number of digits that can be entered into a cell. I have some cells in a sheet that I would like to limit to three digits. James, Would Data Validation work for you. You could set the min and max to 0 and 999, so it would get an error if more than 999 was input. You can specify your own message. -- HTH ------- Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks "JAMES SYLVESTERSR" <sylvester1501@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OWeUa.119681$Io.10193373@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net... > Is there an...

Advanced Find not finding all
"Advanced Find" in Outlook 2007 is not finding all email messages which match the criteria. It finds between 30 and 200 and then stops. I then have to work with those (e.g., delete them) and then click "Find Now" again to find another batch, dozens of times! What is wrong? How do I fix this and find all messages that match the criteria? My typical application is to split the entire contents of my .pst files by date. Do do this I make a copy of the file. In one I delete all messages older than the cutoff date (e.g., 1/1/2007), and in the other I delete all messages yo...

How to: find reason for rejected messages?
I'm trying to find the reason, why certain messages get rejected by our exchange 2000 server. Is there a way to find out? Scenario: pullmail gets mails from pop3 mailboxes from, let's say "internetmailserver.com" and puts it in our exchange server "intranet.com". For most mails it works marvellous but for some mails it just fails and I can only see (output of pullmail command): .... 1 messages waiting << +OK 8488322 octets Message from: some.user@validdomain.com to: user@intranet.com SMTP message rejected, reply OK Unexpected response rsion:...

Can "Totals" be displayed in Advance Find results?
This seems like a question that would've been asked many times before, but I can't find any reference to is here. Can total search results be displayed in the search results pane? The only reference to a solution for this is by a company in Romania called Creative Software Solution. They have a screen grab at http://www.creativesolutions.ro/img/Customizations-GridCount.jpg. Anyone know how I can make the customization myself? Thanks! Andy. Dear Andy, There are few options. 1. Writing Reports and show total 2. Add Total as custom value and use javascript to add that va...

finding latest hotfix
how do I find latest hotfix for Project Server 2007, Sharepoint server 2007 and SQL serve 2005? For Service Pack we can search using bing or google and find. But not for hotfix. How do I find? Thank you Hello all the latest updates are documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.aspx -- Christophe Fiessinger Microsoft http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie "sgOrchid" <sgOrchid@@newsgroup.nospam.com> wrote in message news:3B51FE4E-ADD6-415D-9771-CCD32A65DF11@microsoft.com... > how do I find latest hotfix for Project Server 200...

find formula and return value
Hi i am using the following formula to find text in a cell =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Super",B96)),"OK", "Not OK") and return a value. i have adapted the formula for another spreadsheet and simply added more values to check, i.e. =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Super""Account""Business:,B96)),"OK", "Not OK") but it doesnt seem to work. where i can see the value in the cell it is not returning ok instead of not ok. is there a limit to the number of values i can search and if so why doesnt it say as an error? what am i missing? Thanks v...

"FIND" bar is broken / missing
In IE8, when I click CTRL-F for the "Find on this page" bar, a BLANK bar appears but no controls on it. I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, but it made no difference. Any ideas? I used to use this feature a lot, so this is pretty frustrating. I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thank you. RecoverfileinRecycleBinwhileinDOS@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > In IE8, when I click CTRL-F for the "Find on this page" bar, a BLANK bar > appears but no controls on it. I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, but it > made no difference. Any id...

find smallest positive number among datas
How to find the smallest positive number among datas in Excel? Try =MIN(data_rng) -- HTH Bob "Cerberus" <Cerberus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8616B833-5582-4FCE-A23C-5F10D577AF63@microsoft.com... > How to find the smallest positive number among datas in Excel? =MIN(IF(A1:A6>0,A1:A6)) as an array formula (Control Shift Enter) Adjust your range to suit. -- David Biddulph "Cerberus" <Cerberus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8616B833-5582-4FCE-A23C-5F10D577AF63@microsoft.com... > H...