file save as word 2003 xp pro

Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the  file
save as  option and call the file test.doc.  It doesn't prompt me to
overwrite the existing test.doc  shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier
versions??

No - if you open a document and use SaveAs to save it with the same name you
won't get a prompt. If you use SaveAs to save it with a different existing
name, you will.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the
> file
> save as  option and call the file test.doc.  It doesn't prompt me to
> overwrite the existing test.doc  shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier
> versions??

0
Graham
12/31/2009 3:43:14 PM
Andrew,

You are correct that in past versions you would get the replace or overwrite
prompt. Evidently this is a change, if you open a file and use save as to
save it back to same file name, Word does not ask. However if you open a file
and attempt to save as another filename taht already exists, you will get
that familiar prompt.

HTH

"Andrew" wrote:

> Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the  file
> save as  option and call the file test.doc.  It doesn't prompt me to
> overwrite the existing test.doc  shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier
> versions??
When you open an existing file and make changes, just close the file
and answer yes to the prompt to save changes.  Or save your changes,
then close the document.  There is no need to go through the steps to
SaveAs the existing file name.

Cheryl

On Dec 31, 7:29=A0am, Andrew <And...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the =
=A0file
> save as =A0option and call the file test.doc. =A0It doesn't prompt me to
> overwrite the existing test.doc =A0shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earl=
ier
> versions??

0
Cheryl

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Outlook 2003: Copy Full Names to email display Names
I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 from 2000. I believe 2000 used to choose email addresses based on the Full Name field. 2003 appears to choose based on the Email Display name. Most of my email Display Names are just the email addresses. What is the easiest way to copy the Full Name to the email Display Name? What do you mean by "choose email addresses?" The Display Name has varied with each version of Outlook, but it is of no consequence. What makes you think it is? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "orbojeff" <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> wrote in message new...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Copy and Paste text to Word
I have a large spreadsheet of data. There are no values or formulas. I need to cut and past this into word in a way that shows the paste only as text - normally it has an outline of the cells. Reason is that I need to save this as a .txt file for an upload to another system. Thanks in advance (again) > way that shows the paste only as text In Word, try: Edit > Paste special > Unformatted Text -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond, in newsgroup xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "AndrewS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> >I have a large spr...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

can't receive incoming mail on 2003 exchange server from outside of organization
I have a 2003 Win server running 2003 exchange server. I can send and receive mail for internal users, but can only send mail to external sources. Can't receive mail from outside of organization. Can anyone help? Public DNS MX records set up properly? Check it out at www.dnsreport.com . Recipient policy set up to handle mail for your domain, with all mailboxes getting 'stamped' with the right e-mail addresses on the domain? Firewall have port 25 open, and if you run NAT, have you forwarded port 25 traffic to the internal IP of the Exchange server? eloise wrote: > I have a 2...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

IMF w/ SBS 2003
Hi all, I would like to know if IMF works w/ SBS. I saw somebody said it does, but I can't get it to work on my system. Also I found this webcast http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=% 2Fservicedesks%2Fwebcasts%2Fen%2Ftranscripts% 2Fwct051104.asp and it makes me think it won't work. Has anybody gotten it to work? Thanks, Scott I installed it this past week end and haven't notice any problems. Shadow I have installed it last week. I have yet to see a spam filter that works as good. "Scott Kostakos" <vendors@onlysolutions.org> wrote in message ne...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Copy from Word, Paste into Publisher
I have just upgraded from a very old version of Publisher (97!) to Pub. 2007 and have found that when I copy from Word, and paste into the new Publisher, it defaults to "Use Destination Styles" When really I would prefer it default to "Keep text only". This is to say that the text I am pasting over in Publisher is Arial 6.5 Italics, but it pastes to whatever it was in Word - when the old Publisher would paste it in whatever format I have highlighted over the top of. I do a LOT of copying and pasting from Word, and am finding that I have to do this extra click and f...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Default reply to font color Outlook XP
My default reply to font color is red and I can't find where to change it back to black. I can change the color on every reply but I need to know how to make the default black again. Thanks If you mean that the font color used when you type replies is red, that color is determined by selecting "Tools", "Options" from the menus, clicking on the "Mail Format" tab, clicking the "Fonts" button (near the middle of the dialogue box), and clicking the SECOND "Choose font" button (the one next to the "When replying and forwarding"...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

%20 shows up in document name when doing a save as
I do alot of quotes that I pull up an old document, update with new info, then save as a new document name, leaving the old one as is. Sometimes when I go to save the new document as save as, the spaces in the name of the document are filled with the percentage symbol and 20, %20. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....