Equation Numbers, inserting field

I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference
(the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be
equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28 will
be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the text
paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.  I
know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do this,
but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?

Thanks,

Use a caption to label the equations and a cross-reference to reference
them. Both Caption and Cross-reference are found in the Captions group on
the References tab in Word 2007. Captions use SEQ fields that may or may not
update automatically (SEQ fields don't ordinarily, but captions may have
some extra Word magic); REF fields don't update automatically. Both are
updated at print time, when you switch to Print Preview, or when you Ctrl+A,
F9 to update fields.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a
>reference
> (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be
> equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28
> will
> be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
> throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
> paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the text
> paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.
> know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do
> this,
> but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
> equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?
>
> Thanks,

0
Suzanne
1/15/2010 2:14:23 PM
For the particular format requested you cannot use the Caption dialog box.
Instead, you will have to create the fields manually as explained at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/NbrFAQ.htm#XLTypeNr.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Use a caption to label the equations and a cross-reference to reference
> them. Both Caption and Cross-reference are found in the Captions group on
> the References tab in Word 2007. Captions use SEQ fields that may or may
> not update automatically (SEQ fields don't ordinarily, but captions may
> have some extra Word magic); REF fields don't update automatically. Both
> are updated at print time, when you switch to Print Preview, or when you
> Ctrl+A, F9 to update fields.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a
>>reference
>> (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will
>> be
>> equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28
>> will
>> be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
>> throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
>> paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the
>> text
>> paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.
>> know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do
>> this,
>> but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
>> equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?
>>
>> Thanks,

0
Stefan
1/15/2010 6:58:01 PM
To get the numbering format you need /and/ the cross-referencing
capability, I believe you will need to
  a. follow Suzanne's suggestion re. caption creation.
  b. replace the standard { SEQ } field by something that will return
the correct sequence format (A,..,Z,AA,..,AZ, etc.

When you reference an "Equation" for example, Word relies on the fact
that you have used a SEQ sequence name "Equation", e.g.

{ SEQ Equation }

Unfortunately I don't believe any of the standard numbering formats you
can apply will do what you need. However, if you use the following
nested SEQ fields I think you will be OK for a 1- or 2-letter sequence.
I use the letter "i" to keep the field code as short as possible, so you
will either need to create a Caption label called "i", or modify the "i"
in these fields to be the caption label you want to use:

At the beginning of your document, you will need the following field:

{ SET f "ALPHABETIC" }

and optionally

{ SEQ i \r0 }

Then within each caption you will need

{ SEQ i \#"'{ =25-{ SEQ i c } \#"'';'{ =int({ SEQ i \c }/26) \*{ f } }'"
}{ =mod({ SEQ i \c },26)+1 \*{ f } }'" }

(You can get rid of most of the spaces in there if you prefer). There
may be a simpler formulation - I haven't tried to pare it down any further.

Each of the {} has to be the special "field brace pairs" that you can
insert using ctrl-F9.

Because that's quite a lot to insert, you're probably going to be better
off creating your entire caption text, including the nested fields, and
making an autotext/quick part out of it. I believe the resulting
captions can be referenced in the usual way, and that the
numbering/renumbering behaves properly when you insert/delete captions,
but you should check for yourself.

An option that requires a bit more preparation but has a simpler set of
field codes and is more easily extended to 3 or more letters is to
predefine a large number of Word Document Variables, which you can then
insert using DOCVARIABLE fields., e.g.

Use the following VBA to set up Document variables called x1, x2, x3,...

Sub CreateListNumbers()
Const s As String = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
Dim c As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim k As Integer
k = 0
For i = 0 To 26
   If i = 0 Then
     c = ""
   Else
     c = Mid(s, i, 1)
   End If
   For j = 1 To 26
     k = k + 1
     ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="x" + Trim(Str(k)), Value:=c &
Mid(s, j, 1)
   Next j
Next i
End Sub

Then in your captions, use the following nested { SEQ } field:

{ SEQ i \#"'{ DOCVARIABLE "x{ SEQ i \c }' }'" }

In this case, it's a bit easier to use an existing Caption label, e.g.

{ SEQ Figure \#"'{ DOCVARIABLE "x{ SEQ Figure \c }' }'" }

If you use the VBA to generate the necessary Document Variables in a
Word template, each document based on the template will contain the
variables. So you don't need to run the VBA again, and you dont' need to
distribute it or ask anyone else to run it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 15/01/2010 13:58, SeanF74 wrote:
> I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference
> (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be
> equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28 will
> be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
> throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
> paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the text
> paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.  I
> know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do this,
> but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
> equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?
>
> Thanks,
0
Peter
1/15/2010 7:32:00 PM
> [...]

distribute it or ask anyone else to run it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 15/01/2010 13:58, SeanF74 wrote:
> I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference
> (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be
> equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28 will
> be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
> throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
> paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the text
> paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.  I
> know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do this,
> but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
> equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?

0
Peter
1/15/2010 9:48:32 PM
Apologies if this turns up several times...

> [...]

distribute it or ask anyone else to run it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 15/01/2010 13:58, SeanF74 wrote:
> I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference
> (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be
> equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28 will
> be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
> throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
> paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the text
> paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.  I
> know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do this,
> but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
> equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?

0
Peter
1/16/2010 8:39:35 AM
Sorry if this has been posted multiple times....

> [...]

distribute it or ask anyone else to run it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 15/01/2010 13:58, SeanF74 wrote:
> I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference
> (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be
> equation B, etc.  When I get to equation 27 it needs to be AA, then 28 will
> be AB...) next to.  However, I will be adding other equations randomly
> throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text
> paragraphs.  I would like to have both the equation reference and the text
> paragraphs to update if I add an equation to the middle of the document.  I
> know I should use a field code and cross reference it in the text to do this,
> but I don't know which one I should use or how to insert it next to the
> equation in Word 2007.  Could anyone please help?

0
Peter

Insert a Row
How do you insert a new row imbetween rows without bringing down the Color of the above row? It always happen's Any suggestions would be appreciated. The only thing would possibly be a Macro with cleanup With Thanks I found a solution. Copy a Blank row, Then use copy insert I would welcome other solutions Tools>Options>Edit. Uncheck "extend data range formats and formulas" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 6 Jan 2007 07:07:00 -0800, "smandula" <smandula@idirect.com> wrote: > >I found a solution. > >Copy a Blank row, >Then use copy inse...

Removing Display of cost fields
We use manufacturing and SOP. I have a request by the owner to remove the display of the current and standard cost fields for all but a select few users. The users would still need to be able to see the price lists. Is this possible? You could use Modifier to create copies of the existing forms, hide the cost fields, and grant security to the modified forms to the users you don't want viewing the cost data. Grant security to the unmodified forms to those users you do want to see the cost data. It would be nice if you could do this in Field Level Security but unfortun...

Zero Placeholders in number cell
Hi: Is it possible to have zero (0) placeholders in an excel 2003 cell. For example I have a column with number cells which calculate sequentially. I have a need for the first and subsequent numbers to have four digits (ex. 0001, 0002 etc.). The zero's of course do not show when they are entered. Is there a way to do this and still have it calculate??? Thanks in advance. -- B. Parizo It's called leading zeroes. See: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/show_leading_zeroes_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "B. Parizo" <BPariz...

Number of licenses
Does anyone know on how many computers I am allowed to install one copy of Money 2005 Deluxe? For instance, in my family we have three computers and I would like to install it on all of them. Is this allowed with the license? What is the limit? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, Jesse wrote: >Does anyone know on how many computers I am allowed to >install one copy of Money 2005 Deluxe? For instance, in >my family we have three computers and I would like to >install it on all of them. Is this allowed with the >license? What is the limit? In Money, look at Help-&...

Insert Into works... how about Remove From?
I know the command "CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO [Input] ([Loc_Desc]) VALUES (""" & Me.List12 & """)", dbFailOnError" works. I now need a way to delete a value from a table using a similar command. I am wandering if there is a "REMOVE FROM" or something similar that will take an option from List12 out of a Table named "Input". Thanks again for your help! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200705/1 You can DELETE a record (or many records if t...

Negative Number Formats
Can anyone help? I have Excel 2003 and despite setting=20 all regional options correctly and specifying number=20 formats as (99), (=A399) etc I still can't get Excel to=20 display them in parentheses. I seem to remember from=20 Excel XP that you have to install/uninstall=20 certain "foreign" language options but can't remember=20 what. Please e-mail if you have the key! Thanks I'd double check that windows setting: Windows Start button|settings|control panel|Regional Settings Currency Tab|Negative Number Format (that was the path I used in Win98.) Paul Handley wro...

Odd Looking Number
Hi I am using a spreadsheet in Excel 2002 on Windows XP, for some reason the account numbers (which someone input, along with addresses) have a little green mark in the corner of the cell. I thought it was to show that there is a comment, but it is not. When you click on the cell, a little warning sign shows, saying ERROR - number in this cell formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe. When I click on the arrow by the warning sign, it says Number stored as text Convert to number Ignore error Edit in formula bar Error checking options Show formula in audinting toolbar Now I l...

Matrix fields
We only need one matrix field - size. Is there any way to get rid of the other two so that the item number does not include the extra 0101. Example, item number is 1234. RMS automatically crestes the numbers as 1234010101. Would be much easier if the item would just be 123401. Any suggestions? ...

equation editor
I just installed Office mac 2004 student teacher edition on my brand new MacBook. I can't seem to use equation editor. Since I am a math teacher, that sucks - to say the least! Error message says somethng like - make sure it has been installed, or maybe it has been renamed etc. All I did was install. Short of using my 2nd product key to fix the problem what can I check. Find brings up no info on equation editor. I don't think Eq Ed is automatically installed with a standard installation of Office 2004 - it needs to be included in a custom install or added later. You can install it no...

2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel
Dear ms excel user/programmers: I hope this question is not repeated before. But anyway highly appreciate anyone can tell me how (or hint) to use ms excell and/or visual c/c++, basic, or octave(emulate matlab) to solve: (12-x)^2 + y^2 =15^2, (16+y)^2+x^2=25^2 (by programming or using its built in function)? that ^2 mean square. looking to any excel user, mathmatician, and/or programmer's help, eric, fsshl@yahoo.com Hi Eric The brute force way (requiring the least mathematical analysis) is to calculate the left hand side as functions of two reasonable first guess x and y inputs...

HELP!! Trying to convert numbers.
Here is my problem. i have a series of 3 digit numbers that need to be cinverted to a series of 4 digit numbers using this following 722 needs to read as 5622 and in the next collum SV-7822 in the collum's to the right. what type of formula is this and how can i do it? The above is an example, i have a whole range of 3 digit numbers that need the exact. rules applied to all numbers. which is why i need a formula to do it. Help someone please!!!! I'm not completely clear on what your looking for but if 722 was in A1 in B1: = A1 + 4900 in B2: = ="SV-" & A1 + 7100...

What is the max number of...
What is the max number of records that can be put into a table in Microsoft Access? Does it vary from version to version? Thanks in advance. "Mike C" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC4F1F10-A96C-4EC7-9E33-670828E53A0A@microsoft.com... > What is the max number of records that can be put into a table in > Microsoft > Access? Does it vary from version to version? Thanks in advance. Google or the online help would be your friend on this one. There's no fixed limit, there's only the limit on the overall size of the database file...

Insert Picture and resize
Hi I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to VBA programming, but I try. I am trying to find a way to resize a JPG picture when I insert on to a cell. I have created an XL sheet with some VB to insert a whole lot of pictures down a column, to fix on a temporary basis I resized all my pictures. But in the future that may be difficult to do. So what I want to do is work out the size "x" & "y" and then somehow scale the picture down to a standard size. I have the inserting and moving down the sheet worked out. Thanks for reading and even more thanks if you can help Rega...

error RC2144 : PRIMARY LANGUAGE ID not a number
When I build a project in VC6, I got errors below: D:\Program\XXXX.rc (25): error RC2144 : PRIMARY LANGUAGE ID not a number D:\Program\XXXX.rc (34): error RC2135 : file not found: 653 The project could be built successfully before I re-install my VC6. What's the matter with my VC6? Or is there any wrong with my setting? Why do you assume that VC6 is wrong? What does line 25 in XXXX.rc say? -- Serge. http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications "Chen" <chenqi@uniscope.com.cn> wrote in message news:eyuxKoDXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

MS Word equation editor won't open when double-clicking on an equation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a document (.docx) using the Office 2008 version of MS Word some time ago (2 months or so). Recently I wanted to correct an equation in that document and re-opened the document (on the same system and with the &quot;same&quot; copy of Word) and attempted to double-click the equation to edit it. Instead of the equation editor I get the &quot;Format Picture&quot; dialog box. In the interim I did install an update (I tend to try to stay up to date) and am at 12.2.4 (100205). <br><...

Linear trendline:wrong equation
Hi, I created a bar chart in Excel from the following data: X Y 73 6.6 78 5.7 86 4.8 The SLOPE and the INTERCEPT functions returned -0.136 and 16.4448 respectively. The resulting equation is Y = -0.136X + 16.448 which seems good enough to me. Then I added a linear trendline to the chart. Excel displayed the following equation: Y = -0.9X + 7.5, R ^2 =1 which is way off (and it's not a rounding problem)!!! The data seemed farly linear to me, how come Excel can't come up with the right equation??? Thanks Jan M. Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart. When you...

how to draw a number with DrawString?
Hi, In GDI+, this works fine: WCHAR* labelSouth( L"�S"); g.DrawString( labelSouth, -1, &latLabelFont, pointF, &latLabelBrush); but I cannot get it to draw an int or double. What I need is this int i=30; WCHAR* labelSouth( // missing conversion from int to WCHAR* here g.DrawString( labelSouth, -1, &latLabelFont, pointF, &latLabelBrush); I tried various things but I can't figure it out. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Thanks for any suggestion. Vit Planocka Use swprintf Function to format string and use this string=20 into DrawString Fun...

Insert pictures from the Internet
How can I insert pictures from the Internet into my brochure or leaflet? Right-click the image, copy, paste into Publisher. Or save the image and insert into Publisher. If your cache is full, you will not be able to copy from the Internet, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Suzanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE6FFD37-FF36-4571-AAC9-D55D141DD8C9@microsoft.com... > How can I insert pictures from the Internet into my brochure...

Insert picture from file default view
Looking for a way to change the default "Insert Picture From File" view. Currently, when I click on the IPFF icon, the view is in "thumbnail" form. Is there a way of changing this to default to "list" format? The thumbnails take quite a long time to load when there are numerous pics in that file. ...

Use VBA to Autopopulate a date field
Hi All, I have a form which contains a field called IncidentAmendDate. I would like that field to automatically be populated with the current date whenever a change is made to the record. I made a few attempts to write this in VBA myself, but experienced problems; Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate Me.IncidentAmendDate = Date End Sub Whilst the above procedure gets the system date and populates the field on the form, I then cannot move from the record or save the information. I tried something similar to populate the underlying table instead, but had a problem; Private ...

serial number #2
I need to delet hundereds of old sold serial number because I need to shrink my DB. Is there way I can get script ? All the serials are under one item. -- Thank You Harjit SherGill /DBA Altaville Market 324 South Main st po box 370 Altaville CA 95221 Tel : 209-729-1410 vendaliajat@yahoo.com Hi Gill - first confirm your item id by typing your serial item itemlookupcode in XXX below (keep the single quotes) select id from item where itemlookupcode = 'XXX' -- confirm and jot down the id assigned to the item - let's say its ID is123 The status field gets flagged with a &quo...

Setting the focus to a field on a subform within a tab control
I have a form called frmMain with a tab control called TabCtl0 and a subform within the tab control called frmScreening. I would like to set the focus to a field called txtserial when a new record is added. I have tried the following 2 lines, but neither work: [Forms]![frmMain]![frmScreening].Form![txtserial].SetFocus and Forms!frmMain!TabCtl0.Pages(1).txtserial.SetFocus Would you know the proper syntax. Thanks. gaugust wrote: >I have a form called frmMain with a tab control called TabCtl0 and a subform >within the tab control called frmScreening. I would like to set the ...

Want the customer Number.
I have added a hook when adding new customers. I want to get the customer number when I save the customer. My code is as follows:- Public Function Process(mySession As QSRules.SessionClass) As Boolean Dim StrSql As String Dim ConConnection As New ADODB.Connection Dim rstRecordSet As New ADODB.Recordset Dim QsCustomer1 As QSRules.Customer 'Need to populate referralcode and age group MsgBox mySession.Transaction.Customer.AccountNumber, vbInformation, "test" Process = True End Function When I run the function the customer.accountnumber is blank and customer.loaded returns...

Trendline equation not giving correct results
I was trying to form a trendline with following data : Y X 1.128 -20 1.128 -15 1.128 -10 1.128 -6 1.111 -5 1.084 0 1.056 5 1.0276 10 1 15 0.971 20 0.944 25 0.9144 30 0.884 35 0.8524 40 0.82 45 0.788 50 After plotting the chart, I added trendline (Polynominal with order 6) alongwith its equation which read as below : y = 6E-07x6 - 3E-05x5 + 0.0006x4 - 0.0057x3 + 0.0215x2 - 0.0318x + 1.1429 and R2 = 0.9998 The trendline in the chart neatly fitted over the curve. However, when I used above equation and fed in same values of X as shown above the computed results are entirley different fro...

Look-up number in one sheet
Hi! I am back with yet another question. I have two sheets in my exce file. The first contains a ToC (Column A). After each heading, I lis 1-9 numbers each in a column by itself. Sheet One 1 Introduction 34 31 425 213 54 1.2 NNNNNN 23 32 51 21 214 341 ...