Editing equation in rtf doc: "Word equation too large to convert"

I have an academic paper that I have written and need to share with my
co-authors who use MS Word.  I converted it from latex to rtf format.  I can
open the document in word 2007 and edit it, however, whenever I try to edit
an equation I get a dialogue box with the error message “Word equation too
large to convert".  The contents of the equation get erased and I have close
the equation editor and press Crtl-z to get the contents of the equation
back.   The problem occurs even with very simple equations, such as the
fraction 1/2.  I have searched the web and others seem to have had the same
problem.  I haven't found a solution or work-around.

Is there a way to get round this problem?  The only solution I have at the
moment is to delete the equations, then manually enter them again using the
word equation editor.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:46:01 -0700, Luke Lindsay <Luke
Lindsay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> large to convert".  The contents of the equation get erased and I have =
close=20
> the equation editor and press Crtl-z to get the contents of the =
equation=20
> back.   The problem occurs even with very simple equations, such as the=
=20
> fraction 1/2.  I have searched the web and others seem to have had the =
same=20
> problem.  I haven't found a solution or work-around=20
> Is there a way to get round this problem?

Try using .doc or, if you have it, .docx format. I prefer .rtf myself
but I know from experience that when things like tables and graphics
etc are involved the files can get HUGE. This may be the source of the
problem that you're having with the equation editor.

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
0
Opinicus
4/30/2010 5:03:19 AM

"Opinicus" wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:46:01 -0700, Luke Lindsay <Luke
> Lindsay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > large to convert".  The contents of the equation get erased and I have close
> > the equation editor and press Crtl-z to get the contents of the equation
> > back.   The problem occurs even with very simple equations, such as the
> > fraction 1/2.  I have searched the web and others seem to have had the same
> > problem.  I haven't found a solution or work-around
> > Is there a way to get round this problem?
>
> Try using .doc or, if you have it, .docx format. I prefer .rtf myself
> but I know from experience that when things like tables and graphics
> etc are involved the files can get HUGE. This may be the source of the
> problem that you're having with the equation editor.
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com
> .

Thank you for your reply.  I've tried saving the document in doc format but
the problem persists (although the filesize is much smaller).  I've also
tried pasting a single equation into a blank document.  When I save it in doc
format the file size is 11kb but again the problem persists.  I'm able change
the font and fontsize of the equation ok, but when I double click the
equation to edit it, I get the error message.

Editing equation in rtf doc: "Word equation too large to convert"
I have an academic paper that I have written and need to share with my co-authors who use MS Word. I converted it from latex to rtf format. I can open the document in word 2007 and edit it, however, whenever I try to edit an equation I get a dialogue box with the error message “Word equation too large to convert". The contents of the equation get erased and I have close the equation editor and press Crtl-z to get the contents of the equation back. The problem occurs even with very simple equations, such as the fraction 1/2. I have searched the web and others seem to ha...

Word equation too large to convert error
I am using field codes to program Word and it is working OK in all Word versions other than Word 2007. Even the native field codes with EQ created with Word 2007 itself giving blank equation upon double clicked with the above error. Is there a solution for this bug? My clients who are users of the document generated are getting frustrated with this sudden new behaviour of Word 7. CAn any one know the reason and solution for this. Thanks in advance Hi PSPC, You'll get an error if the equation spans more than one line, so make sure it doesn't. BTW, this affects all Word ...