Desktop to allow visual sorting of files&folders using a cell syst

(This is not a Word subject, but is regarding "Desktop display".)
When I look at the desktop, I sometimes wish I could sort my files and
folders.

I imagine a system of boxes or cells to group items. The Desktop would look
like a table of cells and the user would be able to put for example all the
work files & folders in a cell, all the personal files&folders in another
cell.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=99e7160f-9be3-4bbe-8b5f-7bb82d64d72f&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"This is not a Word subject" - then why is it in a Word forum? Right click
the desktop > Arrange Icons by ....

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Delphine" <Delphine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (This is not a Word subject, but is regarding "Desktop display".)
> When I look at the desktop, I sometimes wish I could sort my files and
> folders.
>
> I imagine a system of boxes or cells to group items. The Desktop would
> look
> like a table of cells and the user would be able to put for example all
> the
> work files & folders in a cell, all the personal files&folders in another
> cell.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=99e7160f-9be3-4bbe-8b5f-7bb82d64d72f&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

0
Graham

BackupWrite and file times
Hello! I am using BackupRead to backup files and BackupWrite to restore them. I have noticed that the restored files do not have the create, access, and modified times of the original file. I was under the impression that BackupRead was supposed to save all file information. I can always use SetFileTime to set the file dates after restore, but that means I have to come up with a way to store the dates along with the file. Is normal for BackupWrite to not set file dates or am I doing something wrong? Thank you! -Anton ...

Remove the Personal Folders
I can't delete my Personal Folders in Folder list. When I deleted it, it appeared this message : The operation failed. An object could not be found. And i also want to delete it in following step: 1 right click the outlook irons 2 click the properties 3 but i can't see my personal folders in the service bar why??? Personal Folder is the default, it points to the pst file Why are you trying to delete? If you have multiple Personal Folders, ie multiple pst's, close it "eto coffee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:210001c4a210$b58671c0$...

export my personal folders
I just need to get my personal folders of my old computer xp home edition to xp professional, i have tried to export but when I get it to the new computer it needed some type of scan which i did but it still will not copy over the data, I checked the MS web site help and followed some other instructions ie copy data to hdd and file - Outlook data file, and it still will not have it. any suggestions or help PS i have been successful in copying over all calendar contacts mail and tasks. > Why would you use export? You don't need to export anything. You just want > your data f...

Macro to open files from a partial file name ?
Hi, I have an external application which dumps data to text files which I then work on using excel. I'm trying to write a macro to automate the batch conversion process, but I have a problem because the external application names the files with a date appendage (see example below) :- B_Report_011103.txt I do need to keep the date in the excel file name if possible. How can I get excel to open any filename begining with the string "B_Report" ? Is there any way of adding a wildcard to the file name string ? Rich On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:14:21 +0000 (UTC), "Rich" ...

Delete multiple files from a folder using an Access Database
Good Morning All, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place, but please bear with me. I am trying to run a db query to quickly populate a database with filenames from a folder on my hard drive. Then in turn I would like to be able to delete files from the folder, based on my deletes in the database. I hope that this makes sense. I am currently using the following code in the Visual Basic editor to populate my table with the necessary data: Sub GetGameFiles() Dim strFile As String Dim strFolder As String Dim strSQL As String strFolder = "C:\path\to\thefile\iwantadded\tothi...

Enter a value and calculate in same cell
Is it possible to enter a value in a cell and have a calculation performed based on the entered value, within that same cell? ex. A1 = [Enter the value] * 5 Hi this is only possible with VBA using an event procedure. Is this a possible solution for you? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany bb wrote: > Is it possible to enter a value in a cell and have a > calculation performed based on the entered value, within > that same cell? > > ex. > A1 = [Enter the value] * 5 Depends on how advanced. I have done research and coding in Access, so it won't be co...

Allowing User to Edit E-mail addresses for public folder
I am looking for a way to allow a user (staffing manager) to change, add & remove smtp addresses for a public folder that will be used for mail-in responses to job opportunites where different jobs will have different email addresses. So far the only way I see is to install the Exchange Service Manager on the user's computer and try to control access to everything else, or write a mmc for it. Would there be a better way? Thanks for any advice. -- Ray H. Gay Exchange Admin RFD & Associates, Inc. Write a script that lets her easily add/remove/list proxyAddresses on the PF ...

Desktop vanishes
I have a similar problem (vanishing desktop) I use Windows XP Professional SP3 on a Dell PC. A) Since Friday 15 January when I launch a program via any icon on my desktop, all icons disappear from the desktop. Also I can no longer right-click on the desktop to get Arrange Icons by/Show desktop icons. When I press Show Desktop on the Taskbar my icons reappear. When I go to the Guest account I do not experience the above problems. Everything works normally there. But when I return to my own desktop there is no longer any way that I can get my icons back. Only the wallpaper is stil...

Creating Owner-Drawn Listbox using CreateEx function
I have created an owner drawn list box as follows DWORD dwFlags = WS_CHILD|LBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED|WS_BORDER|WS_POPUP|LBS_NOTIFY|LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT; m_ListBox.CreateEx( 0, WC_LISTBOX, _T("ListBox"), dwFlags, CRect(10,10,250,250),this, 0 ); But the DrawItem call is not happening to the listbox. Any clues? -- -Sarath What is the type of m_ListBox? Why are you creating this dynamically? This is usually not necessary, and creating one, particularly one with hardwired sizes and positions, is always a very risky proposition. joe On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:31:01 -0700, S...

Visual Studio 2005 and .NET framework 2.0 SP2 deployment
I would like to ask. How to make the deployment project made by Visual Studio 2005 to detect that the client computers are not installing .NET frame 2.0 SP2 and if it is not installed, then it will start install SP2? Thanks. Best regards, FAI linuxfedora wrote: > I would like to ask. > > How to make the deployment project made by Visual Studio 2005 to > detect that the client computers are not installing .NET frame 2.0 SP2 > and if it is not installed, then it will start install SP2? Thanks. This is an option in a normal Setup project created in Visual Studio...

Macro needed to insert a file chosen from a directory
Can anyone help me please? I need a macro which allows me to insert text from whichever file I choose from a directory. The idea is to click on a toolbar icon > display the folder containing the text files > select the text file > Click to insert file. The trouble is I could do it on my home PC but could not do it on my work network. I used the macro from a previous post and it was great but I seem to have trouble with the insert part of the macro and it includes both the S: path and the C: temp path when asking me if I'm sure this is the file I want. Macro used...

retrieving folders.old file

sort list using vba
I'm new to VBA, and I need to sort a list of data (name, team color), and then make it into a new list of people on team purple and one list of people on team yellow. can anyone please help me? thanks Try recording a macro when you do it manually. You may get very close to what you want. But it might be easier to just apply data|filter to your whole range. Then you can filter by team color to just show the Purple team (Vikings???). One other option is to look at how others approached the problem... Both Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin may have solutions for you: Debra's site...

Sync 2 Desktops
Have PocketPc 2003 on IPAQ 2215. Would like to sync between my laptop, desktop and PDA. Can't seem to get it done. Can do it with Quicken though. Not recommended and, far as I know, not possible. -- Michael Gordon MVP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03fb01c47243$44c12360$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > Have PocketPc 2003 on IPAQ 2215. Would like to sync > between my laptop, desktop and PDA. Can't seem to get it > done. Can do it with Quicken though. ...

AdventureWorks: can I query table w/o using table_schema name
I tried to query the Contacts (Person.Contacts) table in the AdventureWorks DB, but it wouldn't let me unless I included Person. in front of the table name: select * from Person.Contact If I query the same table from a VS(2008) project using LinQ To Sql, this appears to forgo the table_schema name. Is there a way to forgo the table_schema name in QA? Thanks, Rich I don't know what "magic" LINQ is doing, but at the TSQL level: If you don't specify a schema, then SQL Server will look at the default schema for your user. So, make sure your user has t...

Sorting subtotal results
I have a spreadsheet with three col. Company, Date, Invoice Amount I sort by Company and subtotal invoice amount to get the YTD total for each Company. What I would like to do is sort the subtotaled amounts in descending order. What's the easiest way to do this? I tried a copy and Paste Special > values but it copied the underlying detail also. gls858 Collapse the subtotals, so only the Company Names, and subtotal amounts are visible. To do this, you should be able to click the 2 button in the Outline bar. Select a cell that contains a subtotal Click the Z-A button on the toolbar ...

What's the best way to learn Pivot Tables and using Macros in Exc.
I think the best way to learn is to find some data and play with it. I think it's better to use real data and have a result in mind--so it's not just an exercise. Pivottables: Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm And Debra's own site: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html John Walkenbach also has some at: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database) Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm MS has some at (xl200...

Heeeelp me pls. Bad file name or number..
Good day, I have a database (FE Access 2003) & (BE SQL Server) containing photos, the photos stored in the server I am storing the photo path in a table and read it and open it every thing was OK and I can see the photo in my FORM, now after using the system for a month when I am trying to view the photo I am getting this error : Bad file name or number The FE was working fine without any errors, now this error started suddenly without changing any thing in the code. kindly give me your support. Thank you,. -- nrhb Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com...

If Entering Manually, start with blank file?
Dick and/or Cal, Or, can it turn off the downloads? --- Ron Mckenzie Orlando, FL In microsoft.public.money, RonMcK3 wrote: > > >Or, can it turn off the downloads? You can turn off downloads for any FI. I would not do so myself; I like downloading. I am better at finding the mistakes of others than I am at finding my own mistakes. That makes sense. Since I want to catch pending transactions (deposits, debit card items, handwritten cks, etc) as soon as I know about each one, I assume I should copy the formatting that the bank uses for the description for other transactions like...

how to sort tabs in Excel 2007
Do I have to use still macros to sort tabs or there is somewhere a function to do that? Yes, No. Mike wrote: > Do I have to use still macros to sort tabs or there is somewhere a function > to do that? ...

putting file name within spreadsheet
Is there any way I can display the name of my Excel spreadsheet in cell A1 of the spreadsheet? =CELL("filename",A1) look in help at =Cell and =Info for other uses HTH RES ....Type it in? Yes, but afaik it can only be done with some VBA code. 1. Open the VBA editor 2. Along the left margin choose the VBAProject associated with your file 3. Right click "This workbook" and select "View Code". A new VBA editor window opens. Dropdowns along the top should say "This workbook" and "Open". The structure for a new routine is visible: "Priv...

Outlook Desktop
if I have deleted the Outlook Desktop (the one that has been created automatically after install), how can I restore it? ...

Creating a manifest from sorted data
Hello all I'm trying to create a report using data input for tracking parts returns, I can select the data I need by auto searching on a cloumn called "consignment" which is a unique code. I want to export all the data from the sort to a separate worksheet which is a formatted document to use as my tracking manifest sheet. I would like to have this print two copies and then auto select another worksheet called "Freight Return Address" with the option to select number of copies to be printed. Is this possible without writing a once off program to achieve. Thank you for...

Automatic Cell fill

(v)lookup part of text in cell
Hi. Can anybody solve this problem in excel? I want to lookup a part of a word in cells fa searching for john and get a "responce" like this: Johndoe | yes john,doe | yes doejoHn | yes samual | Johnace | yes pete | I was thinking it could be possible with using wildcards in the vlookup function, but I don' t know how. It would be nice if capitals are ignored. Tia Ted Hi, yes, you can use wildcards with vlookup: =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP("*john*",A1,1,0),"","yes") or you can do this: =CHOOSE(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("john",A1...