Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2

Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word
2003 to Word 2007.  Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it
opens in whichever version of Word was run last.  What I would like, is for
..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007.  I've tried to
change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'.  Any suggestions?

To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

However, you cannot have Word 2003 open Word 97-2003 files and Word 2007 open the new file formats; instead, the registry hack determines which version will open all Word files. You will have to start the appropriate Word version first and then open the file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WPenfold" <WPenfold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4A11142-F5A1-4CA3-9DC6-60F1BB759458@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word
> 2003 to Word 2007.  Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it
> opens in whichever version of Word was run last.  What I would like, is for
> .DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007.  I've tried to
> change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'.  Any suggestions?

0
Stefan
4/20/2010 6:12:13 PM
"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> However, you cannot have Word 2003 open Word 97-2003 files and Word 2007
> open the new file formats; instead, the registry hack determines which
> version will open all Word files. You will have to start the appropriate
> Word version first and then open the file.

You can't by the method on the page you quoted, but you can by associating
the file type with the particular Word version - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm  This shows the settings to
associate both types with Word 2007, but by changing the reference of the
DOC format to Word 2003 (Office 11) DOC should then open by default with
Word 2003.

Having said that, I would probably recommend the method suggested by Stefan
and associate both types with Word 2007.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

0
Graham
4/21/2010 5:28:55 AM
I should clarify that you must apply the hack at
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm *before* the hack at
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm or the last Word used will
simply re-associate the files with itself.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> However, you cannot have Word 2003 open Word 97-2003 files and Word 2007
>> open the new file formats; instead, the registry hack determines which
>> version will open all Word files. You will have to start the appropriate
>> Word version first and then open the file.
>
> You can't by the method on the page you quoted, but you can by associating
> the file type with the particular Word version - see
> http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm  This shows the settings to
> associate both types with Word 2007, but by changing the reference of the
> DOC format to Word 2003 (Office 11) DOC should then open by default with
> Word 2003.
>
> Having said that, I would probably recommend the method suggested by
> Stefan and associate both types with Word 2007.
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

0
Graham
4/21/2010 5:30:49 AM
I sometimes work with a couple of versions of Word running at the same time.
When double-clicking a document to open it I find it will always open in
whichever version was configured last (like you).  To ensure the documents
open in the version I want, I open them from within the relevant Word
version, not from the file list.  So from Word 2007 CTRL+O then select your
..docx documents; or from Word 2003 CTRL+O then select your .doc documents.  I
hope that helps in some small way.

"WPenfold" wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word
> 2003 to Word 2007.  Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it
> opens in whichever version of Word was run last.  What I would like, is for
> .DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007.  I've tried to
> change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'.  Any suggestions?
Good to know. Thank you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23KhjKPR4KHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I should clarify that you must apply the hack at
> http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm *before* the hack at
> http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm or the last Word used will
> simply re-associate the files with itself.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> However, you cannot have Word 2003 open Word 97-2003 files and Word 2007
>>> open the new file formats; instead, the registry hack determines which
>>> version will open all Word files. You will have to start the appropriate
>>> Word version first and then open the file.
>>
>> You can't by the method on the page you quoted, but you can by associating
>> the file type with the particular Word version - see
>> http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm  This shows the settings to
>> associate both types with Word 2007, but by changing the reference of the
>> DOC format to Word 2003 (Office 11) DOC should then open by default with
>> Word 2003.
>>
>> Having said that, I would probably recommend the method suggested by
>> Stefan and associate both types with Word 2007.
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

0
Stefan

workplace default pane default tab
Hi, Strange as it may seem, some users cannot find "Default tab" and "Default pane" to customize in the General tab of the Workplace (either in Client or Web Access). Even those who already used it, do no find it anymore. How can this be achieved (customization / programming)? Thanks a lot. ...

attachments will not open
I am able to open documents that were created in Office 2000, in my office 2003. This works fine even in peregrine. The issue is dragging and dropping e-mails into peregrine from outlook 2003, but If I try to open it form outlook 2000, it gives us an error. ...

PowerPoint 2007 not playing sound files
Hi please can you help. When I link sound files to PowerPoint 2007 it shows them as being there but they do not play unless I embed them. I have tried everything, the only way I can get it to work is to package as CD and start from there, this seems to defeat the object. Please can anyone help before I pull all my hair out. Regards Steve Try putting the files into the same folder as you presentation and reinserting them to see if that makes a difference. I'm assuming .WAV files as they are the only sound files that are embedded. -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - Power...

Unable to open Windows XP
When I try to open my Virtual PC Windows XP on my Powerbook G4 it comes up with an error that Windows could not open successfully. I try to open it in safe mode and all of the other options available and it still comes up that I am unable to open Windows. Any ideas how to fix this or what the problem is? You'll probably get faster & more thorough assistance if you post to microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc But they'll need much more specific information about VPC & OS X versions, update levels, etc. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 9/19/07 11:55 PM, in article 11...

Data Validation Lookup List from Another File
Hi, Without duplicating the cell contents in the current spreadsheet (call it Template), is there anyway to have a dropdown list of items (starting in cell T38 and going down to T45) from another file ([Price_List.xls]License_Only!C2 to C whatever row which will change). Then, when the item is selected from the list in T38, lookup the cell to the left in row D of Price_List.xls and put it in S38. The reason I don't want to duplicate the cell contents in the current spreadsheet is because the file will be way too large to deal with. I hope that explains it well enough Thanks for any he...

Word documents
What does this mean ~ in front of a word document? Typically its either a temporary document that Word creates when you create, edit or open a document which should disappear when you close the document or it a corrupted document, you may be better asking this question in one of the Word Newsgroups though "scheekh" <scheekh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96B39510-AC34-4D8A-B09B-AE2179FBC68E@microsoft.com... > What does this mean ~ in front of a word document? Usually that document has a alphanumeric name and a .tmp extension. It was a document tha...

Outlook 2007 #39
I'm trying to create a rule in OL2007 that will search in incoming messages for specific text and then automatically reply to that. The problem is that OL2007 will only let me search for "specific text" OR "other text" not for "specific text" AND "other text". How can I get it to search using an "AND" argument? Thanks. > I'm trying to create a rule in OL2007 that will search in incoming > messages for specific text and then automatically reply to that. The > problem is that OL2007 will only let me search for "specific tex...

Hello How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange 2007? Thanks! Look up: New-RecipientDomain Get-EMailAddressPolicy New-EMailAddressPolicy Set-EMailAddressPolicy -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Ronald" <2omikk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOf%23x$$nKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello > > How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange > 2007? > > Thanks! > We have a dedicated group for SBS...

open a prior publisher file
I need immediate help on how to open a prior version of publisher in the publisher 6.0. Do you have a current version of Publisher? Can your sender convert the file to another format? A PDF? If you don't have Publisher I will convert it to a PDF if you send it my way. mary-sauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "mbrooks" <mbrooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3CEA1A7-F301-43B8-9424-27BC774E9C22@microsoft.com... >I need immediate help on how to open...

.ost files
Hi Folks ; After Installation Office 2003 I accept my mails I guess in offline mode when I realize that and I change mode to online but during the offline I accept mails and approximetly 550 emails in .ost file ; now I want read this emails but I dont know how to read again this emails from .ost files ... Best regards are they ost or pst files? if ost, you should still have them in the mailbox - if pst, tools, open, outlook data file and open the pst. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickSta...

Form defaults
Hi, I have a button on a form that disables and rearranges controls. I think I went into design view it it pressed and that control arrangement became the default. I cannot change it back though. I tried clicking the button twice and everything goes back to how it should be in form view. Then when I go to design mode everything goes to the wrong defaults. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help. ...

Editing, encoding and saving messages in OUTLOOK 2007
I came across a very peculiar phenomenon in OUTLOOK 2007. I edit received messages by deleting the “history” (the previous correspondence included by the sender) and leave only the new text written by the sender. I then save the messages “AS PLAIN TEXT”. The motivation is to keep the PST file small. When I reopen one of those edited received messages, I notice that the ENCODING is “Western European (Windows)”. When I change the ENCODING to “US ASCII”, ALL THE DELETED TEXT REAPPEARS! The described strange phenomenon implies that OUTLOOK didn’t actually delete the text rem...

O/T XMI Files
This post is not a C++ or MFC question, but I know most of the readers of this group will be able to help us out here. We are updating an interpreter DLL in our application and are looking for some sample files. Our Project Estimation tool imports XMI (UML) data from CASE tools such as Enterprise Architect, Rational Rose/XDE, Select etc. However we do not have licenses for all of the (many, many) CASE tools - we only use and have licenses for Enterprise Architect. Our product is complementary to CASE tools and does not compete with the CASE tools. We are approaching many tool vendors&#...

help w/ connecting to internet
I recently received a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Since I only have a dial-up connection and I want to use this in a room where there is no telephone jack, I needed a long phone cord to connect the laptop to the phone jack. I attached the 50' cord to the laptop last week and all went fine connecting to the Internet. However, I cannot seem to make the connection again. I enter the password and it dials (pulse!), and the box says "connected to remote computer", then "verifying name and password", then finally "unable to establish a connection". I th...

How can I make a word 2000 page "read only" & unprintable
I am using word 2000 and I want to make myFile " Register" so that every one could not open the File without the user name and password,and how can I make my file "read only" and "unpritable" Thanks Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Word. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "sunny 2008" <sunny 2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

[ANN] Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Service Pack 2 (12.2.0) available for download
The Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.0 SP2(SP2) Update is a combo updater. It includes all the updaters since 12.1.0 (SP1). You can download the combo from Mactopia or via the AutoUpdater (under Help in the Menu bar). This updater does not include Exchange Web Services (EWS). Users that have the EWS beta installed should not use this updater. EWS and Office for Mac SP2 are independent development efforts and their release dates are not linked. Expect more announcements in the coming weeks. Continue reading for more info: <http://tinyurl.com/mma5ux> -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage...

Borders #2
Hello to all, I have a range of cells C34:N35 I need VBA code in order to have borders for this range or clearing the borders depending on the checkbox if it is cliked or not. ie. The code will be part of CheckBox2 button with condition to show the border or hide them.The sheet is protected. Homework? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Khalil Handal" <khhandal@stthom.edu> wrote in message news:eqUJGJOuHHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello to all, > I have a range of cells C34:N35 > I need VBA code in order to have borders for this ra...

Default Catagory
Is ther a way in Outlook 2002 and 2003 to set a default catagory to all new Calendar items when they are created i.e. "Work" and then add any others you require? Also can you add a catogory to all the existing items in the calendar again "Work" in one go without destorying any existing catogories? Thanks Shane ...

Change default outlook calendar
I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. How? David <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. > > I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete > because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and > replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. > How? Create a new PST and set it to be your default delivery locat...

Rerun an open query in Access 2007
Hi, In Access 2003 I was able to place the "exclamation point" RUN button on my Access toolbar so that I could easily re-run a query that I already had open (rather than try to find it in a list of a few hundred queries). The queries I run usually ask for user input, so by re-running them I am able to give different input. Is there any way in Access 2007 to place a "RUN button" on the "Home" tab toolbar? -- Dan R Changing the ribbon is quite a bit more work, but it's easy to customize the Quick Access Toolbar. If you really want to customize the r...

Change default font and size for comments?
Does anyone know how to do the above? Many thanks Anita Hi Anita! Right-click on the desktop > Properties Appearance tab > Item dropdown, select Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK You'll see that you can change the font and colour as well. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font ...

Opening a file for processing in MFC
How does one go about actually opening a text file for processing using File->Open within a dialog-box application? I can do it with generic C++ using ifstream and using a while loop with getline statements but I'm at a loss as to how to do this using MFC. I'm a Visual C++ student, so please excuse me if this is a really basic sounding question. Thanks! Jim wrote: > How does one go about actually opening a text file for processing using > File->Open within a dialog-box application? I can do it with generic > C++ using ifstream and using a while loop with getline st...

Editing XML files?
Does anyone know how to edit XML files to amend receipt template for receipt printing? Are there instructions anywhere about editing XML files and what kind of variables we can use - i.e. what is a variable to print customer's name on the receipt (the name stored in Customer Info in POS)? Thanks! This is best left to someone who is familiar with XML, although you could probably learn by example (look at the other .xml files to get an idea of how it works.) XML is a standard style of mark-up language, so anyone who is familiar with XML should be able to figure it out. There is a ...

publisher won't run without the Disc 2 in the CD tray
When we load Publisher, we get prompted to insert Disc 2 of Microsoft Office. We're told to locate a file called data2.msi. When we insert the disc, Publisher runs fine. I already tried deleting and reinstalling. After we got the Blaster Worm out, I had to reinstall Word and Excel. They work fine now, but Publisher is still a problem. We are using Windows 2000 Professional. Any thoughts?.... thanks. ...

End Cells
I am trying to reduce the file size of a file I am creating. It is currently at 3.6MB, with about 10 worksheets. I posted earlier and someone recommended hitting Ctrl-End on my sheets to see where it was that Excel thought the end of the data was. I did this with a few of the workbooks and the end appears to be out in the middle of nowhere. They then recommended that I delete all the columns and rows past my actual data and then save the file. I tried this but when I hit Ctrl-End on those sheets it still takes me way past my data ranges. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks i...