cross-reference

I created a cross reference in word to a section of my document that has a
heading of 'Heading 3' I used Heading for the reference type and for Insert
reference to I used Heading Number (Full context). I was expecting to get
something like this 4.8.2 but instead I just got 0. is there some setting
somewhere that needs to be tweaked?

Make sure that numbering is correctly applied to your headings. If you are using Word 2007, you can choose the "1 Heading 1  1.1 Heading 2  1.1.1 Heading 3" format at Home tab | Multilevel List. If you are using Word 2003, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html.

Also, note that cross-references are semi-automatic in Word: you can force them to update by switching to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view (you can use Ctrl+F2 twice).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Marc at work RCMP" <Marc at work RCMP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DD5017A-CFA0-48EF-B26D-93CE30AD7358@microsoft.com...
>I created a cross reference in word to a section of my document that has a
> heading of 'Heading 3' I used Heading for the reference type and for Insert
> reference to I used Heading Number (Full context). I was expecting to get
> something like this 4.8.2 but instead I just got 0. is there some setting
> somewhere that needs to be tweaked?

0
Stefan

References and Citations
I have microsoft home and student, and my Manage Sources, Style and Bibliography are all shaded grey and i cant use them! I have to work cite my paper due in two days but i cant insert a citation!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!! ...

Customer Cross Reference
2nd Request - Posted a few Months Ago, No Reply --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Has anyone out there used the Customer Part Number Cross Ref v8.0? I loaded a customer list the other day. When I entered the Customer Number on the Sales Order, it was instantly converted over to our number. Worked Great... I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically reference the original Customer Number on the Packing List and/Or Invoice or is that something that needs to be manually typed in. I tried adding notes, but I don't know if they carry down...

Creating Cross-Project Links
Hi 1). What is the usage of Creating Cross-Project Links ? As I understand, "Cross-project links are useful when two or more projects have only a few tasks that affect one another. For example, a milestone within a development project might trigger a task in an advertising campaign project." 2). How it is implemented in Project 2007 ? When I copied the task from the source project into my project ( target project ) using "Paste Special", the new task I created become another task in my target project. My observation is both task ( ie. task in the source...

No "Move Mailbox" cross site migration
Hi everybody: We have a forest with subdomains, the main domain is AD 2000 and has 1 Cluster Exchange 2003 SP1, 1 Server Exchange 2003 SP1 with ADC SP1 and SRS, and 3 Exchange 5.5 in the same Exchange 5.5 site. We have 8 subdomains in AD2000 with Exchange 5.5 SP4 server with hotfix applied for cross-site in each subdomain, and they had an own site in Exchange 5.5. We are trying to consolidate and move all mailbox and public folders to the Exchange 2003 cluster, we did the domainprep in each subdomain and create a RUS in the Exchange 2003 cluster to each subdomain. When we tried to move cros...

Remove workbook reference but keep worksheet references
Hi, I have 15 workbooks in which the same set of sheets appear (one named for every month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc. plus a summary sheet.) On the summary sheet is a column of formulas that reference ALL sheets in the WB. For example: Jan!A1+Feb!A1+Mar!A1... When I try to copy this column from one WB's summary sheet to other workbooks, Excel inserts a workbook reference at the paste location: ['Workbook 1.xls']Jan!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Feb!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Mar!A1...... I really don't want that workbook name there, since all WBs contain different data! I ...

Cross table
Hi everybody !! i come again here with a problem i can seem to solve :s i hope someone will be able to give me a hand on this... here it is : i have a sheet with 2 rows: location and activity. several activities can be found in one location, even several of the same activities. schematic exemple location activity 1 A 1 B 2 A 3 A 3 B 3 C 4 B 4 C I would like to create something that give me as a result a sheet where we can see the spatial relations between the activities. so i would have all...

syntax question
Given the following code (found on this site..) With ActiveSheet.Range("B:B") Set FoundCell = .Find(what:="whatever", _ after:=.Cells(.Cells.Count), _ LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, _ SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False) End With How do I tell VB to look in Cell H1 for the what:="whatever" ? ie. I want to use the value found in the Cell H1 not the text "whatever" I've tried every co...

Duplicate Lookup reference was found
I am trying to import related entity data to Contacts in a n:1 relationship. The import has multiple records to be associated with a single contact. I keep getting Duplicate lookup reference was found error using the Import Wizard, even though I select import duplicates. Trying with DMM, it fails with same error. How can I get these mulitple records imported and associated with proper Contacts? On May 3, 2:59=A0am, Ken Compter <KenComp...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to import related entity data to Contacts in a n:1 relationsh= ip. =A0 > The import has...

add references
Hi! I have created an assembly library called MyClassLib and added a strong key so it has now been copied to the GAC. I have also verified that the MyClassLib is within the GAC. I have also a console app and when I click add References I had assumed that MyClassLib would have been visible in the .NET tab in the add reference dialog but it wasn't. So therefore I had to use the projects tab instead to add MyClassLib to the console app. So my question is what is the criteria on those files that is displayed in the .tab .NET when looking at the add references dialog ? //To...

cross-reference
I created a cross reference in word to a section of my document that has a heading of 'Heading 3' I used Heading for the reference type and for Insert reference to I used Heading Number (Full context). I was expecting to get something like this 4.8.2 but instead I just got 0. is there some setting somewhere that needs to be tweaked? Make sure that numbering is correctly applied to your headings. If you are using Word 2007, you can choose the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" format at Home tab | Multilevel List. If you are using Word 2003, see http://www...

Conflict in Reference Function
Anyone? I have a reference set to MS VBA, MS Access 11 object libary, MS DAO Object Library, MS ActiveX data object, MS Excel 11 object library, and MS Scripting Runtime. At this point everything is working fine. We use "Reflection" to access our cost system. I would like to add this library "Reflection for ReGIS Graphics" or "Reflection for Regis Graphics ActiveX Control 1.0 Type Library" but when I do I get a conflict with one of my modules' "Left()" function. VBA syntax uses left([string],[number char]) but the Reflection &quo...

Refer to sheet name specified in other cell
Referring to cells in other sheets requires sythax: 'sheetname'!cellname. I have the situation in which sheet name is specified in another cell. How can I refer to cell in that sheet? E.g. A1 = "sheet1" A2 = "'A1'!B3" (I would like to refer to cell B3 in sheet1) Is that possible to do? Marko "Marko Pinteric" <marko@pinteric.com> wrote in message news:ajVVd.9824$F6.1952421@news.siol.net... > > Referring to cells in other sheets requires sythax: > 'sheetname'!cellname. I have the situation in which sheet name is >...

Missing Reference
Argh! There was a missing reference, " Microsft DAO2.5/3.5 Compact ..." I unselected it and backed out - now, every date field is filled with today's date and several other fields have gone to the 'dark side'. The $ field shows $0.00 for everyone and another field is blank. I went back into the dialog box and I can't find that reference in the list to reselect it. Thank goodness I experimented using a copy, eh? >-----Original Message----- >Your references are probably messed up. >If any of the selected references have "MISSING:" in front ...

XL2007: Linked-labels reference is not copied with sheet
Dear group, when I link a chart's text-labels with cells, the formula in the label contains the sheet-name, e.g. =Mysheet!$A$1. In 2003 or below, I could duplicate the sheet inside the workbook by copying it. Now in 2007, the cell-references in the linked labels remain on the old sheet, they are not copied. Is there any better way but copying the sheet into a second workbook, renaming and then moving it back into first workbook? Thanks, Holger. Yeah, they broke this in 2007. It sounds very familiar, I'm sure I've reported it. I don't think there's a better way th...

cross reference
Greeting all, Hope you experts can help me with following issue. I have 2 order information spreadsheets, the first one has a column which is our product codes, the second one is a reference which has 2 columns map our product codes to customers product codes. Is there any easy way in Excel which can replace our product codes in first excel file with our customer product codes in second excel file? I know I can use Access to do that, just want find out a simple way in Excel. Do I need to write any VB ? Thank you very much in advance!! ------------------------------------------------ ~~...

how do I convert text string into a cell reference
I have a spreadsheet with multiple pages (a summary sheet, plus multiple single sheets with common format data for different products). In the summary sheet, I want to keep the cell reference the same, but change the page reference according to the column that the data is in. That way I can change a cell at the top of the column to pull up the right data. I can create the cell reference OK in text form using Concatenate , but cannot see how to convert the resultant text string to get back to the real data. Any ideas ?? You can use the Indirect function to return a reference. For exampl...

view the reference and not the value
Dear All, I am trying to bring in 5 sheets a value (text) from the first sheet. When i typing the equal (=) in the sheet2 i saw the reference and not the value. Any solution for that ? i am using the XP edition Thanks in advance Manos Hi 1. check that your target cell is not formated as 'Text'. change the format to 'General' and re-enter the formula 2. If this does not help goto 'Tools - Options - View' and uncheck 'Formulas' >-----Original Message----- >Dear All, > > >I am trying to bring in 5 sheets a value (text) from the >firs...

File Cross Checking
All: I need your help in this issue: I have a folder with 100 of PDF files and i have an excel spread sheet sheet of a list of files I need to check against the folder if my excel list have those files. How do I do it in a faster way? Thanks in advance. Alish. ...

Add-in or Reference
I've created a customized LinkedTableManager which allows me to perform most of the LTM functions, within my environment, while using DSN-less connections. I've developed this to be an add-in (or at least I thought I had), but I'm having difficulty with the USysRegInfo table and getting it to actually register as an add-in. I currently have added the mda file as a reference in my main application, and that seems to be working fine. What are the pros and cons of these two methods? Dale -- email address is invalid Please reply to newsgroup only. ...

How do I cross out a word in Publisher?
I have copied a Word document into a Publisher document. In the Word document there are some words that are crossed out. I want them to show as crossed out in my Publisher document...but they aren't. How do I cross out words in Publisher? You will need to draw a line and place it over the word. Grouping it with the textbox will keep it in place (as long as you don't change the size of the box). -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "NATCH-9" <NATCH-9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Memo field in cross tab query
Am using Access 2007. I'm linking to a "View" in SQL Server 2005. I want to create a crosstab query based on that view, however some of the fields in the view table are Memo and will not show up as options in the cross tab query wizard. Is there a work around for this? Thanks! Your help is very much appreciated! You could use a select query that has calculated field to pull the left 255 character of the memo field. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Anne721" wrote: > Am using Access 2007. I'm linking to a "View" in SQL Server 20...

Cross-Referencing
I have a student doing cross referencing where some of the end notes aren't showing up in his list of choices in the Cross-Reference dialog box. Make sure that all of the endnotes were properly created, that is, via the Footnote and Endnote dialog box. Also, is the student tracking changes? If so, he or she may have to accept changes in order for the Cross-reference dialog box to work correctly. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "jennsnoddy" <jennsnoddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89BDBB52-11B1-4BBD-8721-D990394E83F3@microsoft.c...

How to reference cell in different worksheet?
How do I reference a cell in the same workbook but different worksheet? Thanks, Brett Brett, something like this =Sheet2!D1 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message news:c003b25a.0404081701.e0743dd@posting.google.com... > How do I reference a cell in the same workbook but different worksheet? > > Thanks...

How do you cross reference different speadsheets?
I wanted to know how to cross reference 2 different speadsheets to look for similar or matching information. basically the formual would look like ='[workbook name.xls]spredsheet'!then the on the sheet you are looking for with $in front of the letter and $in front of the number i.e. ='[Test 2006 Report .xls]Test 1'!$A$42 "Shae" wrote: > I wanted to know how to cross reference 2 different speadsheets to look for > similar or matching information. ...

Reference ID
What does the Reference # column on the customer/purchase history tab relate to? All transactions show a transaction #, but only some show a reference #. It's probably the entries you put in the reference field on a transaction by using shift F9. "cesmi1" wrote: > What does the Reference # column on the customer/purchase history tab relate > to? All transactions show a transaction #, but only some show a reference #. ...