Creation of a List of Symbols for Technical Essays

The document that I want to prepare is technical and the following feature,
if implemented would help to make it more consistent.

The feature which characterise most technical essay is a list of the symbols
used, mainly letters with subscripts or greek letters, which have a specific
meaning and are therefore collected in a list where their meaning is
explained in full.

In Word this kind of list is not implemented, I was wondering if such a list
can be implemented with this particular options:

Once the symbol is entered, it can be selected and it enters a list, its
format is preserved and a reference is created.
The symbol can be therefore put again in the text, in case it recurs, by
adding a "ref field", this way in case the symbol needs to be changed to
match better the meaning or to avoid misunderstanding, it can be done from
the list, without checking all single events of the symbol.

The list has also the possibility to include a paragraph for the description
of the symbol.

example:
Current Chance rate
Euro->Dollar
Bookmark: EUUS

Showed text:

The Euro->Dollar is currently fluctuating, people relate this fact to
weather condition on Mars. While the Euro->Dollar does not have effect on the
Mars society, we can still understand how its colonization would have an
impact on a higher fluctuation of the Euro->Dollar.

text with fields:

The { REF  EUUS } is currently fluctuating, people relate this fact to
weather condition on Mars. While the { REF  EUUS } does not have effect on
the Mars society, we can still understand how its colonization would have an
impact on a higher fluctuation of the { REF  EUUS }.

Hope this is clear.

p.s.
This question comes from the fact that other tools, which I cannot use for
the purpose of writing this technical essay,  namely TeX, allow this feature

If you insert an AutoText field, you can update it after redefining the
AutoText entry. Or you could insert the symbol, bookmark it, and use REF
fields as you suggest. You'd probably need to reinsert the bookmark after
changing the symbol.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"L. Gautero" <L. Gautero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The document that I want to prepare is technical and the following
> feature,
> if implemented would help to make it more consistent.
>
> The feature which characterise most technical essay is a list of the
> symbols
> used, mainly letters with subscripts or greek letters, which have a
> specific
> meaning and are therefore collected in a list where their meaning is
> explained in full.
>
> In Word this kind of list is not implemented, I was wondering if such a
> list
> can be implemented with this particular options:
>
> Once the symbol is entered, it can be selected and it enters a list, its
> format is preserved and a reference is created.
> The symbol can be therefore put again in the text, in case it recurs, by
> adding a "ref field", this way in case the symbol needs to be changed to
> match better the meaning or to avoid misunderstanding, it can be done from
> the list, without checking all single events of the symbol.
>
> The list has also the possibility to include a paragraph for the
> description
> of the symbol.
>
> example:
> Current Chance rate
> Euro->Dollar
> Bookmark: EUUS
>
> Showed text:
>
> The Euro->Dollar is currently fluctuating, people relate this fact to
> weather condition on Mars. While the Euro->Dollar does not have effect on
> the
> Mars society, we can still understand how its colonization would have an
> impact on a higher fluctuation of the Euro->Dollar.
>
> text with fields:
>
> The { REF  EUUS } is currently fluctuating, people relate this fact to
> weather condition on Mars. While the { REF  EUUS } does not have effect on
> the Mars society, we can still understand how its colonization would have
> an
> impact on a higher fluctuation of the { REF  EUUS }.
>
> Hope this is clear.
>
> p.s.
> This question comes from the fact that other tools, which I cannot use for
> the purpose of writing this technical essay,  namely TeX, allow this
> feature

0
Suzanne

Graph Creation
Hi I am trying to create a graph that has the following: Y AXIS: - Funding - Business - Perception - Strategy X AXIS - Non existent - Repeatable - AdHoc An example of how i would like it to look is as follows:. Funding --------------x------------------------------------------------ Business------------------------------x------------------------------- Perception ----------------------------------------x------------------ Strategy---------------------------------------------------------x---- Non existent Repeatable Adhoc Mature Sorry that it ...

dynamic object creation
How can i dynamicly create and display a subclassed object on a formview, (i.e. the object is not shown in the resource editor) ? joe # ...

I need to merge a list of names from Excel into one Publisher piec
I see how to do a regular mail merge, but I just want to import the Excel list into my front and back program peice I created in Publisher. Thanks Did you try a Copy/Paste? -- Don Vancouver USA "randi" <randi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37B95A63-B638-45E3-81D0-36C1F480E8F5@microsoft.com... >I see how to do a regular mail merge, but I just want to import the Excel > list into my front and back program peice I created in Publisher. > > Thanks Hi, Randi - I often merge into Word first (from Access and Excel) -- do my grammar and spel...

Not in the list event
Hi, I have combo box the takes data from Customerstbl. If a user type into the combo box i would like to propmt him with massage and give hm the option to add it to the table. What is the correct code in the Not in the list event? Thank you , Tom Tom Take a look at http://www.cardaconsultants.com/en/msaccess.php?lang=en&id=0000000011#notinlist for an example, this is something that you can costumize depending on the situation. If you search this forum, or google not in list even you'll get tons more examples. -- Hope this helps, Daniel P "Tom" <part...

Distribution Lists #19
I run Outlook 2002 on Windows XP. I have no problems sending emails to individual parties. The problem comes when I try to send a group email to a distribution list. When I send to a distribution list, the email will show up in the "Sent" folder but no one will have received it. The next time I try to send any email, I'll get a send/receive error, "Task 'mail.comcast.net-sending and receiving error (0x80042108): Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or in...

Unable to Refresh Fields in Field list
Hi I'm trying to update the Field list on my Database. The Refresh Button for this purpose should be on the field list toolbar but I can't see it anywhere. either I'm being exceedingly dense or I'm not looking in the right place. This is a older version of Office (Office Proffesional 2003). It was already installed on the PC when I started. Don W There is no button for that. If the recordsource of the form or report that you are trying to refresh is a query, you need to add the field to that query. The only way that would happen is by either manually adding th...

how do i do an alphabetical list of songs for a booklet
i need to do a booklet of song titles for karaoke booklets but thgey need to be done in alphabetical order, any ideas what i need ? use Word document -- davidm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davidm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20645 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375228 All you need to do is enter the song titles into a column in Excel and you can use the DATA -> SORT command to sort them in "ABC Order". Can you tell I have a school age child...

Drag in a List Box
If I have a list box that has a row source to a query is it possible to drag my records up and down the list box to give them a certain order to print on a report?? -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3 Stephen Lebans has a number of Listbox examples on his website. Here's just one of them: http://www.lebans.com/vb_listbox.htm -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Bob Vance" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz>...

Exchange Server Global Address List / Distribution List
Does anyone know how to change the Global Address List / Distribution List in Exchange Server 2000 and/or 2003 We have user accounts that are no longer valid, but want to retain their mailboxes for a while before removing them. In the interim, we don't want their names to show on the distribution list Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. ...

Distribution List 12-30-09
I deleted a distribution list in error. Is there a way for me to restore it? Of course. Retrieve it from the Deleted Items Folder or your most recent backup file. -- Russ Valentine "km" <km@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1886E81E-461E-4636-8116-568DE4221BC7@microsoft.com... >I deleted a distribution list in error. Is there a way for me to restore >it? ...

adding search buttons to excel list
I have a phone list I publish on our intranet. It's excel based. I want to add buttons on the top, similar to what the newer version of Outlook has in the contact list, so people can just click on the "AB" button and the list automatically scrolls down to last names beginning with either A or B appear on the screen. If this is an excel file that is downloaded from the internet, then this worked ok for me. (I don't know what'll happen if you publish it to the net.) I ran a macro to add 13 buttons to a worksheet. I put them in A1 and let them grow to the right. (Chan...

Outlook XP Contacts List
I am not an accomplished Outlook user, and I do not know how to merge my Contacts List, with that of one of my collegues. Any ideas? Where are you trying to merge the two? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:0e1c01c393de$0e6f16d0$a301280a@phx.gbl, Pavlos Philippou wrote: > I am not an accomplished Outlook user, and I do not know > how to merge my Contacts List, with that of one of my > collegues. > > Any ideas? ...

Global Address List creation in the console
It makes no sense to us that the console interface for creating address lists is not available for creating global address lists. It would be helpful if the same options and the same wizard were available for dealing with global address lists, that are available for dealing with regular address lists. Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in ...

Single stock symbol no longer updating
I have looked through what I can to find if anyone else has had this problem, but I did not find anything. I have bought and sold MDYs several times over the past year. The end-of-day quote for them has always worked fine...well, at least as fine as any of the end-of-day quotes have. I recently added another transaction for these, and the quote has been stuck at a value around the time I made the entry. I tried deleting the entry and reentering, but it still remains at the same value. All the other stocks (and ETF quotes) update OK. Does anyone know what might be happening? Incidentally...

Importing MySQL contacts database into Global Address List
Is there a recommended approach on this? I don't believe there is an official approach. Obviously you'll have to make sure fields match. The simplest way probably is to export to a CSV and then use CSVDE or LDIFDE to create the accounts or contact. Nue "Steve Repp" <srepp@ATIP.ORG> wrote in message news:C008EBA6.B5F00%srepp@ATIP.ORG... > Is there a recommended approach on this? > ...

exporting category list
How do you export the category list in Money 2004? Thanks. Glenn IF you want to get categories that have been used in transactions, probably the best way is to use MoneyLink to pull all transactions for all dates for all accounts into Excel. From there, simple spreadsheet manipulation can get you there along these lines: 1) Copy the category/subcategory columns to a new sheet. 2) Sort the entries on Category and Subcategory. 3) Create a formula to only show the Category/Subcategory if it's not what's in the next row. 4) Copy the unique resultant column(s). 5) Paste Special|Values ...

Message Creation failed
I have too very large picture files in my inbox. When I try to delete them I get an error message stating "message creation failed, mailbox if full" yet I have nothing in my deleted message box. I cannot get rid of these and it is taking up alot of space....PLEASE HELP! Try dragging the large picture messages to your Deleted Items folder. If that won't work, try dragging them to the Recycle Bin. If still no joy, try running the various repair functions in the WMUtil=20 program: http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil If still no improvement, upgrade to Windows Live Mail: http...

Creating Drop Down boxes with the List function...
I am creating drop down boxes using the list function and I need to add color to the text. It will allow me to add color to the list, but the color I added doesn't appear in the drop down box. What do I need to do to make this happen? Thank you for your help. This should help, it sure did for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html ...

Outlook Autocomplete Won't Suggest Distribution Lists
Hello... My Outlook 2003 "autocomplete" feature will not suggest any of my distribution lists in any of the lines - "To," "cc" and "bc." Any ideas? Thank you, in advance... ...

Color folder list
Hello there, Does anybody know how to change the color of the folders in de folder list. Inbox etc... (outlook 2002) Thanks, Greg Not possible. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:482d01c48049$2966d6f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > > Does anybody know how to change the color of the folders > in de folder list. > Inbox etc... > > (outlook 2...

More Unwanted Symbols
I often use plural s within quotation marks like (s) and I frequently use (?) but in Word 2007 I'm getting a symbol when I try and type that combination. I've gotten two or three different symbols or actually smilies when I try and use these keys like above. I certainly have never seen smilies in Word and am wondering where my settings have gone wrong to move standard key strokes to such symbols and smilies. Thanks! Click on the Office button and then on Word Options and then on Proofing and then on AutoCorrect Options and in the list in the Replace text as you type ...

Membership List
Hi all! I have a big dynamic distribution Group and would like to see a report that show list of the membership. I want to have it in the csv format. If there is appropriate cmdlet or script for doing that? Thank you in advance. On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:16:50 -0500, "Sasha" <ABassin@unitymgmt.com> wrote: >Hi all! > >I have a big dynamic distribution Group and would like to see a report that >show list of the membership. I want to have it in the csv format. > >If there is appropriate cmdlet or script for doing that? $Group = Get-Dyna...

Task List #4
I can set up my task list to show active tasks only, but how do I set up my daily calendar to show only active tasks in the task window. Currently it is showing all tasks. I do not want to show my completed tasks. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Bruce If you right click the Task Pad you can customize the view, use the Filter Option and then the Advanced Tab and I tested with %Complete is less than 100. "Bruce T. Campbell" <btc@forcemail.com> wrote in message news:uwXkoSvrFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... >I can set up my ta...

Get a list of open workbooks and choose one
Hello, I need to get a list of all the workbooks that the user currently has open, give that list to the user, let them select one, and then Activate that selected workbook and continue with processing. I can generate a list of workbooks in a given directory, but the requirement here is to get a list of workbooks that are currently open. Many thanks for all your help. Phil -- Programmer on Budget This is not real fancy but it worked in a test. Sub chooseWB() Dim Wb As Workbook, wbNm As String, choice As String For Each Wb In Application.Workbooks wbN...

Return Addresses drop down list
MS Word 2003. In the envelopes and labels wizard return addresses can be inserted by clicking on the down arrow to select from a list of previously used addresses. How can that drop down list be edited to remove old addresses? Thanks The short answer is that you can't. The only way to clear the address list is to delete or rename the Word data key in the registry - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data - but this has implications for a whole raft of personal settings. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<&g...