contents in word doc disappeared

typing in word doc and suddenly everything disappeared. Had done several
saves but when I try to pull up doc it is empty. Did I hit something that is
hiding doc from me/

Saving the document was your mistake. Your first reaction should always be
Ctrl+Z (Undo). Mostly likely you inadvertently pressed Ctrl+A (Select All)
and then pressed a key that overwrote your entire document. Now that it has
been saved (especially more than once, which also overwrote your backup, if
any), you're out of luck.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"cookplex" <cookplex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> typing in word doc and suddenly everything disappeared. Had done several
> saves but when I try to pull up doc it is empty. Did I hit something that
> is
> hiding doc from me/

0
Suzanne

Title in Content Control disappears when grouping?
Hi, If I GROUP a portion of my document where there is a CONTENT CONTROL, its TITLE is not visible anymore. Why? I would like to avoid the user changing parts of my document, but still giving him the best clues where and what to type. thanks, Lauro When I looked at this a. I saw the same as you; b. I did not find a workaround. Non-response suggests none of the regular responders who are around knows either. > Why? You'd have to ask Microsoft (most if not all of the people here are volunteers, not their employees). It looks as if...

Embed Excel Spreadsheet in Word ?
I have created a Gantt Chart with Excel. I would like to embed that spreadsheet in Word for a report. I have used "Paste Special" --> "MS Excel Object" However, there is 2 problems 1) Part of the Excel Spreadsheet is not shown in Word (Even though I have chosen A3 as paper size for the Word Document). Is there any way to include the whole spreadsheet ? 2) Is it possible to paste in such a way that the gridlines are shown ? (Like the one that I print with gridline shown) Your advice is sought. Peter It depends on the size of the data that you are pasting. If...

Word Standard Formatting Menu
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Up until just recently, when every I open Word or a Word file, I see my standard formatting tool bar. Now, this does not appear. I pull down the View menu, Toolbars menu, and Standard IS clicked. I unclick it, pull it back down and re click it and I can see the tool bar. I have to do this for every file now and every time I open Word. In Preferences, I can't seem to find a default toggle for this. What gives? I am using MacBook Pro. You've been hit by The Toxic Blue Jellybean! At the top far right c...

OWA SSL randomly disappears
We have a front-end Exchange 2003 server with 5 HTTP virtual servers configured (we host 5 SMTP domains for e- mail). 4 of the 5 HTTP virtual servers are secured via SSL using certificates from Verisign. The 5th HTTP virtual server is the default Exchange server and is for testing purposes only. Each virtual server is assigned a unique IP (all sites run on port 80). The problem we're having is that SSL randomly disappears from the IIS MMC console. The certificate remains intact and in order to restore SSL, all we have to do is re- enter port 443. What could be causing this? ...

table of content
Using styles (Heading 1, etc) in Word (any version) allows me to create a TOC very simply. I cannot find a way to create a table of content automatically in Publisher (2003), for instance by applying styles. Am I missing something or have they just left out this option? Don't want to create a TOC manually in a 200 page document.... TIA - Rob The bad news is you will have to create the TOC manually. Publisher is a page layout application. Word is better suited for what you are doing. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsof...

Why is the word "Desktop" in the Title of this newsgroup ?
What is the significance of the word Desktop in the title of this newsgroup ? FDLeyda "FDLeyda" <fdleyda@no_reply.com> wrote in message news:%23Li5rM47KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What is the significance of the word Desktop in the title of this > newsgroup ? > > FDLeyda The program was originally named Windows Live Mail Desktop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA >> What is the significance of the word Desktop in the title of this &...

Converting from Lotus 1, 2, 3 docs
I have a user who has a bunch of Lotus 1, 2, 3 spreadsheets that he is trying to convert to Excel. His version of Lotus is old (version 5), his version of Excel is 2000 sp2. The files convert but they are missing pages or headings or other unacceptable qualities. Anyone any advice? Michael If you open the files using Excel and save them to an .xls format in the current version you are losing data? A while back I needed to do this. I wrote an application in VB that loops through the files, opens them using Excel (add a reference in VB to MS Office 10) and then save them in the current ...

Email-Hyperlinks in Word or Excel don't launch Outlook 2003
Tidbit: I originally installed MS Office 2003 Professional on PC's without Outlook. I later installed Outlook 2003 with no problem ... Problem: When I click on any hyperlink in MS Word, Excel or Access, the Apps launch Internet Explorer (ver 6.0)and inserts the hyperlink e- mail address as a URL in the address bar, which causes over 60 errors to pop up ... How can I make the system launch Outlook when the Hyperlink is an actual E-mail address hyperlink and Internet Explorer when the hyperlink is a URL ???? .. P.S .. IE settings are correct .... Ismaelmvp3 <Ismael.velazquez@i...

problem opening document in word 2007 version
has anyone go this error before? if so how did you fix it? this same file I can open on a friends computer. I think I need to "enable" the item, but I don't how to do this. how do you disable/enable items in word? If it is under the help menu, I can't find this. I am very new to office 2007 version, even though it's really is older version of MS office. This error may appear if you attempt to open a file marked as damaged or disabled by a Microsoft Office system program. Each time an attempt is made to open the file ? even if the file was recovered or r...

Copy to a Word Table
Hi I am trying to write some vba code in Excel 2007 to paste a range into a Word (either 2003 or 2007) table. My code so far, selects the correct table and selects the top (blank) row in the table. I cannot get the next part correct. I need to: 1. Insert the correct number of rows in the Word table to accommodate the Excel data. I have used noRows = Selection.Rows.Count 2. Select those rows that have been inserted and paste the data to these rows. When doing this manually it seems to produce the best results, rather than paste as a nested table etc. Any suggestions of the corre...

Problem Exporting Calendar contents with custom fields
I have created a customized form in MS Outlook Calendar to create appointments with more data that I need to track. When exporting a calendar to a CSV file, outlook only recognizes the main appointment fields, not my custom fields to export. I would like to see me fields export with the calendar. Any ideas? Thanks, Kris ...

keep formula delete contents
I'm trying to set up a template in Excel. I wish to keep the formula but delete contents, so i can us the same sheet again. Every formula evaluates to something -- a string, a number, an error, ... So you can't really delete the contents and still keep the formula. But you could modify the formula so that it returns an empty string ("") and that makes the cell look empty. You could modify the formula to look at the other cells it needs and if those are empty, then return that "" string. For example, if I had a formula that just added 12 to the valu...

Can not open word doc'ts
Suddenly getting a strange popup message everytime I try to open a word doc. "Microsoft Outlook Can not import the vCalendar File" Suddenly I can not access any of my stored Word.doc's Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.....Al Hi Al Hubbard, please read this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287625 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "Al Hubbard" <ahubbard@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5f1001c474da$85d5cb50...

How do I transfer items in the Content Library in Publisher 2007?
I have a number of items in the Content Library in Publisher 2007 on my laptop which I would like to copy to the same program on my PC. I know I could copy and paste them, but there are quite a number and wondered if there is an easy way? Where is the file saved on the hard drive? What version Windows? The Application Data folders are hidden. Read the post from Amanda-BC-Can dated 11/22. She said she failed transferring the content library. If you succeed would you please post back and tell us the steps you used. Under Vista it is stored in this folder: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>...

Copy Partial Cell Contents in Excel ?
Hi folks! I'm trying to figure out how to write a Macro in Excel that I can us to copy only a portion of data in a cell and paste that partial dat into an adjacent cell. Specifically, I am using Excel 2000 and tring t copy only the final dollar amount from entries such as the one below: 1@ $5.99 = $5.99 What I want is a pure dollar amount in the adjacent column so that can run totals of amounts spent. What I don't want is to have to cop and paste every entry manually. Can anyone help me with this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com MadDubhgal, That cell should be ...

HELP! Split cell contents to new rows
I know how to split cell contents to columns, but how do you tell excel to take the cell contents and insert into new rows. Each name is separated by a comma and I need each name to appear in its own row beneath that cell. PLEASE HELP! Copy, paste special-transpose (now in columns). Data - Text to columns. Copy, paste special- transpose back to rows. -- Best Regards, Luke M "nyarce" <nyarce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9E6CDF2-7A05-4337-B0DD-C88FCFF617B4@microsoft.com... >I know how to split cell contents to columns, but how do yo...

objects disappearing
I have a chart in a spreadsheet and I have placed a text box or arrow on the chart. When I click on the spreadsheet it shows, but when I click on the chart it disappears. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or is it a bug in the program? I've tried "bring to front" and that doesn't work Karin - If the chart is selected when you click the button to start the drawing tool, the drawing object becomes part of the chart. If something else is selected (e.g., a worksheet range), then the drawing object float in the drawing layer with all the other drawing object...

Delete contents of folder on exiting
Does anyone know if its possible to delete the contents of a Outlook 2000 folder when exiting from Outlook (much like the deleted items get emptied). We have a GFI MailEssentials on our Exchange server that moves any emails it recognises as spam to a Junk folder and i'd like to be able to delete the contents of it automatically when i close Outlook, rather than having to do it manually. -- Thanks in advance Dan Williams Dan Williams <dan_williams@newcross-nursing.com> wrote: > Does anyone know if its possible to delete the contents of a Outlook > 2000 folder when exiting ...

List of Contents by Criteria
Hello, I would like to have a list of items that meet a certain criteria displayed on a separate area of my spreadsheet. To elaborate, if anyone in cells E6:E26="Qualified", then the contents of Cells C6:C26 should be listed in C30:C50. And obviously if they are not Qualified, they would not be listed in C30:C50. Thanks for your help. In C30, use something like: =if(e6="qualified",c6,"") and copy down Regards, Fred "RoadKill" <RoadKill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:638F1DC3-C4D1-4AC4-94E3-9A7AEEC024F4@...

How do I merge an excel worksheet into tables in word
How do I mergen an excel worksheet into tables in word and keep specific records on the same page Hi teeniebop, If you're trying to keep groups of records together, you can use Word's Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge facility (the terminology depends on the Word version). To see how to do so with any mailmerge data source supported by Word, check out my Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=731107 or http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailme...

Mail merge to word #2
I have a sheet with 246 columns with a header row and one row of data. Each field contains text data varying in length. Some fields are empty. I have trued to merge directly to Word but get the error "can't open the data source". When I save the sheet to a txt file and merge to word it prompts me that record 16 is empty and each subsequent record is empty up to record number 245 (which necessitates hitting Enter for each record) and inserts a paragraph mark for each empty field. I have tried umpteeen ways of saving the data and creating the merge with no improvement. Fir...

Outlook tries to install MS Word and VS .NET and fails
Running Outlook 2003, XP Pro SP2, MS Office 2003 Professional, VS .NET 2002 Occasionally when I try to open an email, Outlook tries to install MS Word as my email reader - it then tries to install VS.NET and gives the error message "Error 1706 No valid source could be found for product Visual Studio ..NET Professional - English. The Windows installer cannot continue. It then reverts to a dialogue box entitled "Windows Installer" with the message :Preparing to install.." after which it does nothing at all. I have to crash Outlook to continue. The emails appear in the...

VBA Excel Macro to delete contents in named cell
I have several named cells in an MS excel workbook, starting with the word "clr_". I'm looking for a looping statement that would look for how many names there are in the workbook beginning with "clr_" and then go through a loooping statement to delete the contents in that named cell. For example, clr_projectname might have the words "My Project" and i want the words "my project" to be deleted from the cell. I have about 30 variables to be deleted. Anyone's help would be appreciated! Maybe something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() D...

Font display in word art
It would also be nice in the Word Art window if the fonts were displayed in their typeface like they are in the document window. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=fd6527ba-afcf-4461-8f52-a54...

Saving word documents.
I'm using Word 2007 and I have sometimes troubles when I want to save a document. This is the message which appears:" initializing the root folders to display". After this message it is not possible for me to save any document. What must I do to solve this problem?. "MAKHOU" <MAKHOU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1E0E425-B4EF-4D97-AD37-5978A9B7499A@microsoft.com... > I'm using Word 2007 and I have sometimes troubles when I want to save a > document. This is the message which appears:" initializing the root folders ...