Change default numbering

How do I set up the basic template for text numbering in Word 2008 for the
Mac? Here is what is driving me nuts:

I want to generate numbered lists - lots and lots of them. The first level
numbered lines will have second level under them in many cases, also numbered
and indented below the first level. The second level will also have third
level under them, intended some more and also numbered.

This "sort-of" works fine. It USED to work excellently. Here is what I do.

I click the Numbering button in the Bullets and Numbering palette. The line
indents and a 1) is automatically added. I type text and hit Enter. Looks
fine. The line goes down and a new line starts with 2) automatically. Great.

I type my new text, this also looks fine. I hit Enter. I am now at the next
line which has a 3) in front. Good.

I want this line indented as a second level line, so I hit Tab. The line
indents and the 1) changes to an a). I type by text and hit Enter. I am at
the next line, same level as the one above, and the number is b).

This is what USED to happen. It is very nearly the same only now the indent
on this second level line is VERY big, about an inch to the right of the
first level, much to much. And instead of an a) it defaults to roman lower
case i), then ii) and so on.

I simply CANNOT figure out how to change this default behavior. I have tried
everything I think of and get the weirdest results, including the entire
document getting numbered, new variants being generated, but I simply cannot
figure out how to get the default to work as I would want. As it used to in
the previous version of Word.

I could create a style but I do not want to, I want the default to work
properly. I want to change the amount of the indent when I hit tab and I want
the default character on the second line to be a), b) etc., and on the THIRD
line I want roman numerals.

Anyone know how to change the default template for this?

Thanks - Lawrence

Maybe better to ask your question at:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mac.office.word

If you were using Windows, I would point you to the following page of fellow
MVP Shauna Kelly's website

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

But I do not know how applicable it is to your version of Word

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Lawrence" <Lawrence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I set up the basic template for text numbering in Word 2008 for the
> Mac? Here is what is driving me nuts:
>
> I want to generate numbered lists - lots and lots of them. The first level
> numbered lines will have second level under them in many cases, also
> numbered
> and indented below the first level. The second level will also have third
> level under them, intended some more and also numbered.
>
> This "sort-of" works fine. It USED to work excellently. Here is what I do.
>
> I click the Numbering button in the Bullets and Numbering palette. The
> line
> indents and a 1) is automatically added. I type text and hit Enter. Looks
> fine. The line goes down and a new line starts with 2) automatically.
> Great.
>
> I type my new text, this also looks fine. I hit Enter. I am now at the
> next
> line which has a 3) in front. Good.
>
> I want this line indented as a second level line, so I hit Tab. The line
> indents and the 1) changes to an a). I type by text and hit Enter. I am at
> the next line, same level as the one above, and the number is b).
>
> This is what USED to happen. It is very nearly the same only now the
> indent
> on this second level line is VERY big, about an inch to the right of the
> first level, much to much. And instead of an a) it defaults to roman lower
> case i), then ii) and so on.
>
> I simply CANNOT figure out how to change this default behavior. I have
> tried
> everything I think of and get the weirdest results, including the entire
> document getting numbered, new variants being generated, but I simply
> cannot
> figure out how to get the default to work as I would want. As it used to
> in
> the previous version of Word.
>
> I could create a style but I do not want to, I want the default to work
> properly. I want to change the amount of the indent when I hit tab and I
> want
> the default character on the second line to be a), b) etc., and on the
> THIRD
> line I want roman numerals.
>
> Anyone know how to change the default template for this?
>
> Thanks - Lawrence

0
Doug

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Default Company at Login
What determines the default company that is displayed to the user at login? Is it simply alphabetical or is there somewhere to set as the default? i.e if we have 3 companies ABC-Company, 123_Company and All Other Company, Inc., can All Other Company, Inc. be forced as the default presented to the user? Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_70567BB1 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit If there is only 1 company in the list, the list will default to that company. If there is more than 1 company, nothing will default. You could do this trivially with Dexterity if you are o...

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How to change icon for my application

Entering a 16 digit number
I am creating an Excel worksheet and am trying to enter credit card numbers in one of the columns. When I enter the number, it automatically changes the last digit to a "0". How do I format the cells to accept a 16 digit number? Format as text or precede the entry with an apostrophe, excel has 15 digits precision but I assume you won't do any calculations with credit card number -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Tbird" <Tbird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF7E2877-8F24-4F80-883D-30C9679151FE@microsoft.com... >I ...

OWA as default web page
I have a front end server I'm using for OWA. I would like to configure IIS to default to the login prompt when the user hits the web server, without having to type "/exchange". For example: https://webserver.domain instead of https://webserver.domain/exchange Is there a way to configure this? Thanks The article below describes how to redirect the Default Web page to point to the Exchange virtual directory. 319878 XWEB: How to Make Outlook Web Access the Default Web Site http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319878 >-----Original Message----- >I have a front end server...

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

some replies come from default account
Some email replies from me come from the address to which the email was sent and others come from my default address. For example if I reply to a message that came to kozmo@thisaddress.com, the reply comes from kozmo@defaultaddress.com. I can change it manually for each reply but that's a pain and if I forget to it's a problem. Not all messages behave this way. Some come from the correct "reply from" address. I can't figure out what the difference is for those that come from the correct address. I'm using OL2000 on XP, Internet Mail Only. Any ideas what'...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Moving exchange2k3 server machine account from default OU to another...
Hi all. I have an win2k3 std sp1 server with exchange2k3 std sp2 on it. The computer account of the server sits in the default Computers OU, and i want to move it to another computer OU for policy purposes. I have a 2k AD. I understand that this move should go without a problem, maybe a restart of the services afterwards? I'm not going to move any of the objects in the Microsoft Exchange System Objects OU, just the computer account. Any problems that might occur, and would those potential problems be ok if i just move it back to the default OU? -- Gripe On Fri, 19 May 2006 ...

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes