Caption Numbering in a long document

I posted this last week but didn't get any response. I am reposting just in
case the reason was that it looked like I may have answered my own question -
which I didn't.
I am using MS Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment.
I am working on a document with many (100+) figures with captions that are
located in various chapters, sections and subsections. I don't have a problem
numbering the caption automatically with the appropriate heading level but
when I adjust the caption heading level in the caption dialog box (e.g. from
H3 to H4) all of my previously created H3 headings are changed to H4 level
headings. In shorter documents I have simply gone back and adjusted the \s 4
to \s 3 (or as appropriate) after completing the document but that is getting
rather tedious with the large number of figures that I am adding.
Is there an easy way to turn off the automatic updating of my previous
caption levels. I have already toggled the auto updating of fields off as I
want to control all updates. Do I need to set a caption style for each level
desired? And will this solve the problem without introducing other problems
when I build my list of figures?
Joe

When you select "Include chapter number" in the Caption Numbering dialog
box, your choice applies to *all* captions using that particular label;
there is no way around that. What you can do is what you are already doing:
adjust the field code manually. Alternatively, create a separate caption
label as needed (but that may be a time-consuming task).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this last week but didn't get any response. I am reposting just in
> case the reason was that it looked like I may have answered my own
> question -
> which I didn't.
> I am using MS Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment.
> I am working on a document with many (100+) figures with captions that are
> located in various chapters, sections and subsections. I don't have a
> problem
> numbering the caption automatically with the appropriate heading level but
> when I adjust the caption heading level in the caption dialog box (e.g.
> from
> H3 to H4) all of my previously created H3 headings are changed to H4 level
> headings. In shorter documents I have simply gone back and adjusted the \s
> 4
> to \s 3 (or as appropriate) after completing the document but that is
> getting
> rather tedious with the large number of figures that I am adding.
> Is there an easy way to turn off the automatic updating of my previous
> caption levels. I have already toggled the auto updating of fields off as
> want to control all updates. Do I need to set a caption style for each
> level
> desired? And will this solve the problem without introducing other
> problems
> when I build my list of figures?
> Joe

0
Stefan
2/23/2010 8:17:48 PM
I was afraid of that. I will try the "create a separate caption label" option
and see if that buys me any time. So far I have simply inserted all of the
tables, added the captions - using the heading level that is dominant in the
document - and then gone back and reset the captions the needed a connection
to a different leve. It's not elegant and it falls apart during an update but
it works.
Thanks,
Joe

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> When you select "Include chapter number" in the Caption Numbering dialog
> box, your choice applies to *all* captions using that particular label;
> there is no way around that. What you can do is what you are already doing:
> adjust the field code manually. Alternatively, create a separate caption
> label as needed (but that may be a time-consuming task).
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I posted this last week but didn't get any response. I am reposting just in
> > case the reason was that it looked like I may have answered my own
> > question -
> > which I didn't.
> > I am using MS Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment.
> > I am working on a document with many (100+) figures with captions that are
> > located in various chapters, sections and subsections. I don't have a
> > problem
> > numbering the caption automatically with the appropriate heading level but
> > when I adjust the caption heading level in the caption dialog box (e.g.
> > from
> > H3 to H4) all of my previously created H3 headings are changed to H4 level
> > headings. In shorter documents I have simply gone back and adjusted the \s
> > 4
> > to \s 3 (or as appropriate) after completing the document but that is
> > getting
> > rather tedious with the large number of figures that I am adding.
> > Is there an easy way to turn off the automatic updating of my previous
> > caption levels. I have already toggled the auto updating of fields off as
> > want to control all updates. Do I need to set a caption style for each
> > level
> > desired? And will this solve the problem without introducing other
> > problems
> > when I build my list of figures?
> > Joe
> >

> .

Thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joseph Talbott" wrote:

> I was afraid of that. I will try the "create a separate caption label" option
> and see if that buys me any time. So far I have simply inserted all of the
> tables, added the captions - using the heading level that is dominant in the
> document - and then gone back and reset the captions the needed a connection
> to a different leve. It's not elegant and it falls apart during an update but
> it works.
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
> > When you select "Include chapter number" in the Caption Numbering dialog
> > box, your choice applies to *all* captions using that particular label;
> > there is no way around that. What you can do is what you are already doing:
> > adjust the field code manually. Alternatively, create a separate caption
> > label as needed (but that may be a time-consuming task).
> >
> > --
> > Stefan Blom
> > Microsoft Word MVP
> >

> > "Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I posted this last week but didn't get any response. I am reposting just in
> > > case the reason was that it looked like I may have answered my own
> > > question -
> > > which I didn't.
> > > I am using MS Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment.
> > > I am working on a document with many (100+) figures with captions that are
> > > located in various chapters, sections and subsections. I don't have a
> > > problem
> > > numbering the caption automatically with the appropriate heading level but
> > > when I adjust the caption heading level in the caption dialog box (e.g.
> > > from
> > > H3 to H4) all of my previously created H3 headings are changed to H4 level
> > > headings. In shorter documents I have simply gone back and adjusted the \s
> > > 4
> > > to \s 3 (or as appropriate) after completing the document but that is
> > > getting
> > > rather tedious with the large number of figures that I am adding.
> > > Is there an easy way to turn off the automatic updating of my previous
> > > caption levels. I have already toggled the auto updating of fields off as
> > > want to control all updates. Do I need to set a caption style for each
> > > level
> > > desired? And will this solve the problem without introducing other
> > > problems
> > > when I build my list of figures?
> > > Joe
> > >

> > .

caption
Is there a caption property to pictures? Thanks, TM Hi TM (t_mccollough@yahoo.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Is there a caption property to pictures? I am sorry to say, but no. You will have to add your own text box to the picture and group them together. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. I just found Picture Captions in the Design Gallery Object off the objects toolbar. It has a few different styles that do what I was loo...

Format phone numbers in Outlook 2003
Hi Folks, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the format in which phone numbers (mobile numbers in particular) are displayed in Outlook 2003 Contacts? I would like to prevent a mobile number from having its first two characters treated as an area code. Currently, if I enter a mobile number as xxxxxxxxxx Outlook re-formats it to (xx) xxxx-xxxx. This is what I would like to prevent. TIA Jamie Should I have posted this to a different group or is the question one that has been asked too often? Jamie "Jamie Richards" <junkmail@demolition.com> wrote in mes...

Column Numbering
Ok, I'm sure this can be done and it might have already been posted but this is what I'm wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet of sports cards of a particular player that I collect. I'm wanting to have a column of number, 1,2,3,4,5,..... etc so I'll know how many cards of that particular player I have. Now here is my problem. Because my spreadsheet is alphabetized and also is done by year, starting with 1989 when the player was drafted, anytime I get a new card I insert a row into the spreadsheet to input the card information. So what I want it to do when I insert a new row...

creating serial number for vouchers
How do you create a serial number for a voucher? I've created a new item with item type - voucher when I move to the serial tab and try to add a serial number I then create serial number 1000. It shows available on the screen Move to the POS and type in the PLU for gift certificate. The screen prompts for a serial number, I type in 1000 and it says not available would you like an automatically? Press "no" and "look-up" the serial number - there it is!! Why won't the initial screen prompt allow me to add the serial number as I want? hi Cheese, try to app...

can i able to change the voting caption "VOTE" to custom caption?
can i able to change the voting caption "VOTE" to custom caption? I don't think so. What happened when you tried? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Balan asked: | can i able to change the voting caption "VOTE" to custom caption? ...

DOES EXCEL HAVE a MAXIMUM NUMBER OF COLUMNS PER WORKBOOK?
DOES EXCEL HAVE a MAXIMUM NUMBER OF COLUMNS PER WORKBOOK? which version? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100738491033.aspx#WorksheetWorkbook http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx?pid=CH062527721033 -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACA733BD-443A-4BCF-A0F7-B7931F729D65@microsoft.com... > DOES EXCEL HAVE a MAXIMUM NUMBER OF COLUMNS PER WORKBOOK? The number of columns in a worksheet is determined by which version of Excel you have: Excel 2007 = 16384 columns ...

Change item numbers
Hello, our company is in the process of acquiring other companies. We had items numbers that were specific to just our organization. We now want to change our item numbers so they are more generic and will work with any company we acquire in the future. We are on GP10. All our items are service items not actual inventory items but they are all listed in the Item Master and we use SOP transactions. We'd prefer not to discontinue an item and create new items. I'd like to get opinions as to updating the sql tables. I would think we'd have to update Item Master, SOP10200,...

Problem setting font for dialog caption
Hello, I can't seem to find a solution for this problem. I know how to set the font and size for a dialog, and that works for all text on the dialog EXCEPT the frame. This would not be a problem except that this application must work in Japanese. The Japanese text displays correctly in the Microsoft Sans Serif font on the dialog itself. But in the dialog frame it shows up as "????" Does anyone know why setting the font does not affect the frame? Is there a window style or some other option that might make it work? Or do I need to set the font on some higher level, perhaps ...

number increasing
Is there a way in a master worksheet to put a formula in a cell which contains a number such as 15846 and have that number increase by one in the same cell when you make a copy of the original worksheet. Not as you ask it........but if you would describe your end desire in a little more detail, perhaps someone can suggest another method.... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "TechnoGram" wrote: > Is there a way in a master worksheet to put a formula in a cell which > contains a number such as 15846 and have that number increase by one > in the same cell when you make a cop...

page numbers on top
I am making a document in publisher. Many of my pages have full 8.5x11 images on them. When I turn on page numbers, my pictures come up ON TOP OF THE PAGE NUMBERS. I tried right clicking the pictures and selecting order>send to back, but that did not work. Is there any way to make the page numbers ON TOP OF THE PICTURES without manually adding page numbers on the pages with pictures? cheers "bobzz" <bobzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E81E07E6-5CD5-47D4-A420-0514D0EB1627@microsoft.com... >I am making a document in publisher. Many of my pag...

Format Alphanumeric Cells as Numbers
If i have a series of cells that are alphanumeric (i.e. 43A), is there a way to format that as a number so that it will show up as '43A' in a graph? -- emptysky1969 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ emptysky1969's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31329 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=510116 I think I do not understand in what way you would like to plot '43A'. If you want it to be a label, located along some scale on position 43, then you'd need to s...

How do I compile a graph from a large number of data ?

Captions in SO vs HQ
Can somebody tell me how i get the custom captions that i can configure within SO to transfer to my HQ database? I may have asked this before, but i cant remember! Thanks! :) Use HQ Administrator, and ammend the customcaption table. "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > Can somebody tell me how i get the custom captions that i can configure > within SO to transfer to my HQ database? I may have asked this before, but > i cant remember! > > Thanks! :) > > > ...

Newbie question
Sorry guys but I've tried searching and this question must be so dumb it isn't even worthy of a prior post. Anyway, I'm fiddling with data (question to be asked later) and somehow my displayed column headings are now numbers. Before they were letters. So when I click on a cell (e.g. first cell is now listed as R1C1) but I want it listed as A1. What did I do to make it this way. Even opening up a new spreadsheet displays the same column number. I'm asking because I know future formulas will be more difficult and most folks have it listed as column letters. ...

numbering worksheets
hi all.i asked a question regarding sequential numbering each time i use an invoice template that i have made.i was unable to check for answers until today.i would like to re ask the question.thanks in advance.wyn -- WYN Try the Google archives: http://tinyurl.com/6rwet Lots of hits Biff >-----Original Message----- >hi all.i asked a question regarding sequential numbering each time i use an >invoice template that i have made.i was unable to check for answers until >today.i would like to re ask the question.thanks in advance.wyn >-- >WYN >. > ...

worksheet number field change
I've got a sheet in Excel 2002 with a list of names and addresses in some fields and 1 or 2 fields with a price in them. What is the simplest way to add an amount to each price field, something like 'increase each numerical cell by an amout of 50 '?. Something easier than highighting each column with numbers in them . Some of the number cells are not arranged in columns. put 50 in an empty cell. Select your range that needs to be adjusted (if it's not contiguous, then select the first area and ctrl click on subsequent areas) Edit|Paste special|check the Add under operation....

Need to change serial numbers
Accidently installed same serial on another networked machine. Only discovered this a couple weeks later. I believe there's an easier way to change the serial rather than deinstall and reinstall, but the solution is not obvious by any means. Any thoughts? TIA -- To reply by email, remove the word "space" In article <labolide-3A61D4.10003212022007@news.giganews.com>, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote: > Accidently installed same serial on another networked machine. > Only discovered this a couple weeks later. > I believe there's an easier way to ...

numbers are not numbers in excel xp
I m sure this is obvious question, but I have been fighting long enough. On excel xp, after choosing a group of cells, columns, or rows then Format~Cells~category~NUMBER. then each number added to each cell, it says number in cell is formatted as text, bla bla and I need to click 2 times to convert it. Each and every number that I enter in a cell needs me to do this before I can do my math. Pre xp, it was not like this. Why and how can I really truly set a group of cells to number? Tks, paul Just formatting the cells as Numbers (or currency or General or anything else) won't ch...

Transpose week numbers to date
Hi One of my users would like to have certain cells in his spreadsheet, where if you type a week number it will transpose it to a date. For example 01 might be 01/04/2005, 02 might be 08/04/2005 and 52 might be 25/03/2006. I am clueless on this one, and not very good at Excel anyhow Thanks in advacne Harry One way: Assume the week number is input into cell A1: B1: =DATE(2005,4,1) + 7 * (A1-1) Format the cell as a date. Note that I get 24/03/2006 rather than 25/03/2006 for A1=52. In article <27203F81-566E-4539-A116-56FA9F1219F6@microsoft.com>, "Lewej" <Lewej...

Serial Number Tracking
Hi, I have a client that wants to only allcocate serial numbers when completing the fulfillment process. Does anyone know of any other clients that do this and what methods are they using - modifcation, third party product, and/or business process to achieve this. THANKS LB That is common in a manufacturing situatuation. If you want that, you will have to get a manufacturing add-on with GP. HS "Linda Bain" <Linda.Bain@Skytec.com> wrote in message news:1aeb01c46f77$a8b370e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a client that wants to only allcocate serial >...

numbers on chart axis showing twice
Axis on the pivot chart are showing up twice. Probably the spacing is 0.5 but the numbers are formatted to show only whole numbers. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "mary" <mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0871493-036B-4ECF-B3A3-6705676A39BB@microsoft.com... > Axis on the pivot chart are showing up twice. ...

Calculating new date by entering number of additional workdays
Would love some assistance with the following: If I have a start date in a cell (A1), I am hoping to enter a number of additional workdays into another cell (B1), resulting in a new date -- skipping weekends -- in a third cell (C1). Looking for the formula for C1. If it helps, here's an example: * Start date = 4/1/10 (which is a Thursday) * Additional workdays = 5 * Solution = 4/7/10 (because it skipped the weekend) Thanks in advance. Hi Ensure that you have the Analysis Toolpak loaded. Tools>Addins>Analysis Toolpak then with startdate in A1, number of days t...

pasting numbers into excel
when pasting numbers from another program into excel, i have problem with the excel program understanding that these values are numbers even if i go into format cells and change the format, they dont change eg. if i change a cell to currency, that pasted cell still doesn change. however, if i go to the cell and hit f2 and then enter, or i jus retype the number in over the top, then all of a sudden it works, and can use the data for charts etc. but ive been trying to use these numbers in a chart as is, and it won plot the number with any value. as soon as i retype the number over th top of...

2005 Calendar Week Numbers
The week numbers in Outlook for 2005 are incorrect. Our European counterparts list the week of January 2 as Week 1, while Outlook shows that it is Week 2. This will cause a major problem for our communications. How will this be fixed? Thanks! Marilyn What do you have checked for "show first week" in Outlook Calendar options? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Maril...