CANNOT open document in Word 97

Was always able to open a .doc, but suddenly, I get:
"Word cannot open the document...Try File, Open or
ensure has .doc  extension."

How can I check that it has a .doc extension?
And why would this suddenly occur?

From where did you obtain the document that you cannot open?
How are you trying to open it?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"STEVE" <STEVE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was always able to open a .doc, but suddenly, I get:
> "Word cannot open the document...Try File, Open or
> ensure has .doc  extension."
>
> How can I check that it has a .doc extension?
> And why would this suddenly occur?

0
Graham
1/26/2010 7:25:38 AM
From BOTH my desktop, my laptop AND from Mobile Me (Apple).
Tey Word 97 to open it.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> From where did you obtain the document that you cannot open?
> How are you trying to open it?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "STEVE" <STEVE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Was always able to open a .doc, but suddenly, I get:
> > "Word cannot open the document...Try File, Open or
> > ensure has .doc  extension."
> >
> > How can I check that it has a .doc extension?
> > And why would this suddenly occur?
>

> .

Why do some of my Excel spreadsheets open up slowly since I set u.
I just set up file sharing on a wireless network connecting my two computers (one running XP, the other Me). I copied a number of Excel spreadsheets from My Documents (XP computer) to the Shared Documents folder (XP). I then accessed the Shared Documents folder on my Me computer, via the wireless network, and copied the shared spreadsheets to the My Documents folder of the Me computer. The next time I went to open one of the shared spreadsheets on the XP computer, it opened extremely slowly (maybe 15-20 seconds) and I got a message that Xcel had detected and repaired errors in the sheet...

Kill Open Read Only Message on Open
I have a workbook that I want to run on a schedule after working hours. It has a Workbook_Open event that kicks off several macros. The problem is that when Windows Scheduler opens the workbook when I'm not here, a dialog opens stating that my personal.xls is read only. There will always be other workbooks and instances of Excel open and who knows which one will have read-write priveliges on personal.xls but i really don't care. How do I get Excel to ignore this prompt for personal.xls when I open this workbook (or any workbook for that matter)? Thanks. [Excel 2007; W...

i have a pps file that i cant open what do i need to open it with
i recieved a few pitures and cant open then because they are a pps file what do i need to open them with???? Certainly not Excel. Those are PowerPoint files. You can download a PP viewer from here. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en Note instructions for download and installation. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:44:02 -0700, Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i recieved a few pitures and cant open then because they are a pps file what >do i need to open them with??...

Adding Word to new Mac
I am a mac user currently using OfficeX on my work computer and laptop. I have just bought a new mac for my home. Is it possible to load the same version of Office X to this new computer? Do I need to purchase an additional license? Are additional licenses expensive? Thanks for any help anyone can offer. In article <1168397111.800363.264920@77g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>, "MacUser1" <rcochran@vtelcommunications.com> wrote: > I am a mac user currently using OfficeX on my work computer and laptop. > I have just bought a new mac for my home. Is it possible to load t...

WORD VERSUS PUBLISHER FOR NEWSLETTERS
What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters? I noticed Word has Newsletter templates also. -- Donna If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it is to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to another. Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I think it is with Word. If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little while. You'll see what I mean. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 ...

Error converting from 97 to 2000
I am having trouble converting an Access 97 front-end application to Access 2000. I am getting several "error while loading Form..." and then the last message is "The Visual Basic for Applications project in the database is corrupt". The 97 version has worked fine for a long time, so I am not sure where to go? Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Scott There are many tricks available to try to fix corruptions. 1. Create a new empty A97 mdb and import all the objects from the corrupt one. Recompile the code. 2. Decompile the code. Make a backup. Test the undocu...

Outlook 97
I use Outlook 97 to send mail to recipients on a mailing list, but some are reporting that they get a blank message body. There is no attachment, and the messages are sent using MIME format, as plain text. Not all recipients have this problem. Any ideas? Would using UUENCODE help? If so,. why? All input gratefully received Regards Nick ...

MS Word Window will not maximize
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I opened a word document earlier and it will not allow the window to be expanded more than one quarter of the screen. I've tried to grab the corner and drag it out and nothing is working. It appears to be locked (if that makes any sense). Does anyone on here know how to fix this? <br><br>Thx. I've found that clicking on the green '+' button in the upper left hand corner of a window does not appear to have the same effect as on a PC. On the PC, doing so causes that window to go to full screen. On the Ma...

problem with excell 97
Every time I type a letter "A" in the excell box and cersor to another box, the "A" changes to a letter "C" Example: A turns to C Lawrence, auto correct could be doing it, look at tools, autocorrect and see if there is an A in the replace column and a C in the with column. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Lawrence Jones" &...

Another file open
I'm using Windows XP home edition and whenever I open and excel (or word) file, I get a statement that says I already have a copy of the file with the same name open. I do not, but I get it evey time I open a file. Anyone know how to eliminate it? Try this Fran Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel On the Windows Taskbar Close Excel Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to designate a full...

Outlook 2000 Opens System32 folder
Hi all When i try to open an xls attachment outlook 2000 opens me the System32 folder, this only happens with excel files, i can't save it neither. What can i do? Please help me :) Thanks in Advance! I would start by reloading Office - sounds like the path or program location has either been lost or moved. -- Regards, Francine Otterson President, San Diego Outlook User Group MVP - Microsoft Outlook "Andy" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:u%23R%23nrNXGHA.4988@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi all > > When i try to open an xls attachment outlook 2000 opens...

clip art appears invisible in Microsoft Publisher documents
When I insert clip art or pictures in Microsoft Publisher, I can't see the clipart/picture in the document. The picture will print out but when I'm designing the document I can't see the clipart/picture. Why is this? View, pictures, detailed display... If this isn't the solution, you may need to upgrade your video driver. Do this to see if the driver is indeed the problem Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.or...

mail merge with Word and Access Query
I am trying to create a Word mail merge with an Access database query that has a parameter (asks for a unique date). When Word asks for "Select Recipients" I go to my database and the dialog box lists the database along with all of my Queries EXCEPT QUERIES THAT HAVE A PARAMETER so I cannot select the parameter query that contains the list of recipients that I want send to . How do I get the parameter query to be listed so I can select it to be the target of my Mail Merge? ...

automatically open excell documents according to schedule
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to make Excell launch and then open up spreadsheets in a read only format for viewing by my users. I have 2 seperate spreadsheets that I would like to open up individually at one minute intervals from each other and then close after one minute so that the other spreadsheet can open and display it's information. Think of it as a changing status board on job output for employees. Are there any programs out there I can use? I've looked at using EZ-Scheduler and AutoIT to accomplish this but I thought I would also make a post here t...

There are too many Find Public Folders dialogs open. You must close them in orde
Hi, I'm using Outlook XP 2002 SP-2 and I got error message "There are too many Find Public Folders dialogs open. You must close them in order to use the Advance Find. Do you want to close them now?" when I answer Yes I get "Outlook cannot perform your search. Outlook can't display this view. A folder by this name already exists". I tried to install "Microsoft Outlook Update: December 4, 2002" but I can't as it said it is already installed. Thanks, TR ...

Access 2000 to Access 97 07-09-03
I have a small database in Access 2000 that consists only of tables. I am trying to convert it to Access 97. Every time i go to Tools, database utilities, convert database to a prior Access databaswe version, I get "invalid field data type". What do I need to look for or do? Hi Deb, Probably you have used Number(Decimal) fields, which don't exist in Access 97. Change them to Number(Double) or Currency and things should work OK. On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:33:44 -0700, "Deb Koplen" <deb.koplen@verizon.com> wrote: >I have a small database in Access 2000 that...

XML to Excel 97?
Hello, I have a .xml-file and I need the data in Excel 97. Excel reads th xml-file like a text-file but I just need the variables. Maybe someon knows an Add-on or a macro for that? Thanks in advance cu zipm -- zipm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- zipme's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1683 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32021 ...

how do i save .pub document in html?
I upgraded from Pubs98 to Pubs 2003. In 98 when I would save as HTML, the folder was about 1-2 mb in size. When I save in html in 2003, my folder is 25-30 mb and has duplicate images in .png (?) format. Am I doing something wrong? No you are not. Significant changes took place in version 2002 and also 2003. Visit the web forum - microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign - to catch up and visit the FAQ page - http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30 David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "LarryJon" <LarryJon@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Open Excel all mornings
Hi, How can I make Excel open at 8:00, close at 13:00 open at 15:00 and close at 19:00? Thanks!! You'll need a program outside Excel to start excel. Many versions of Windows have a scheduler built in. If the version you're running doesn't have one, then google will help you find one. And you can use an ontime macro in excel to do stuff at certain times. Chip Pearson's site explains it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/OnTime.aspx canvas wrote: > > Hi, > > How can I make Excel open at 8:00, close at 13:00 open at 15:00 and > close at...

OUTLOOK EXPRESS OPENING EMAIL
The other day I mistakenly right clicked on the toolbar at the bottom of my screen. I think I inadvertetnly clicked "cascade windows". Since correcting it whenever I double click to open an email in Outlook Express, it doesn't open up maximized. It opens up as maybe a third of the screen and I have to maximize it to view it properly. Any advice on how to fix that? Thanks! Brian <cartfan19@yahoo.com> wrote: > The other day I mistakenly right clicked on the toolbar > at the bottom of my screen. I think I inadvertetnly > clicked "cascade windows"...

Opening Zip Attached Files
Hi, in my organization some users click on the icon of the attach file when a message came in and they get 2 options "Save it to Disk" or "Open the File". One user in particular only gets the option "Save it to disk" or "Cancel", in another dialog box different from the rest. It has to be a minor setting somewhere but I cannot find wich one is. Everyone has Winzip installed and Win2k Pro as OS, no differences between them. Outlook version is 2000, included in Office 2000 Standard Edition. It is not so important but for that user who gets a lot of mail du...

Use Excel 97 with windows XP ?
I've been using Excel 97 with Windows 98 for a number of years with no problem and now would like to use it with Windows XP on new computer. When I try to print a bar chart (Excel 97 in Windows XP) in which the bars are colored, according to the Legend, although the bars show colored on the monitor, they are printed only in black and white (grayscale) when the chart is printed. I had no trouble like this with Windows 98. I've checked the Print settings, for the printer, which seem to be set ok but still no colored chart. Does anyone have suggestion? Is it possible to ...

Opening Shared Calendars
I have one user on our network who opens a shared calendar in Outlook 2007 running on Windows XP and it randomly asks her to log into the Exchange 2007 mail server. Has anyone seen this problem? I feel like I've tried everything. Thanks, Tim ...

MACRO TO COUNT ALL OPEN WORKBOOKS and print
I need to know if there is a way i can run a macro to count all open workbooks and print "sheet1" of all open workbooks. The macro should close each workbook after printing the first sheet. Hi Here's a way Sub aaa() For Each wb In Application.Workbooks wb.Sheets("Sheet1").PrintOut wb.Close savechanges:=True 'Or false counter = counter + 1 Next msg = MsgBox(counter & " sheets has been printed", vbInformation + vbOKOnly) End Sub Regards, Per "JOSEPH WEBER" <JOSEPHWEBER@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev...

opening earlier versions in 2007
I can not open earlier versions of word in 2007. any help?? On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:35:01 -0800, gatechnm <gatechnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can not open earlier versions of word in 2007. any help?? What happens when you try? If you get a message like "This file type is blocked from opening in this version by your registry policy setting" then see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849. If it's something else, please explain. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; pleas...