Can't open office documents from my emails until word is openned f

When I try to open a word document or excel spreadsheet that is saved as an
attachement to an email, I get the message:
Windows cannot find ‘c:/users/mona/appdata/local\microsoft\windows\temporary
internet files\low\content.IE5\SB2EHHFL\xxx[1].xls\’ Make sure you typed the
name correctly, and then try again.

If I open Word or Excel before clicking on the attachement to open it, then
it works. This problem only happens when using my laptop which is running
Windows Vista and office 2007. I do not have any problems with this on our
desktop which is running XP and office 2003.

Word is actually doing you a favor, because if you edit a document that you
opened directly from an attachment and then save, the edits will usually
disappear. See http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm.

You should always save the attachment as a real document in a real folder,
and then open that document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Mona wrote:
> When I try to open a word document or excel spreadsheet that is saved
> as an attachement to an email, I get the message:
> Windows cannot find
> 'c:/users/mona/appdata/local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet
> files\low\content.IE5\SB2EHHFL\xxx[1].xls\' Make sure you typed the
> name correctly, and then try again.
>
> If I open Word or Excel before clicking on the attachement to open
> it, then it works. This problem only happens when using my laptop
> which is running Windows Vista and office 2007. I do not have any
> problems with this on our desktop which is running XP and office 2003.

0
Jay

doc attachments won't open
I have Word 2007 and when someone sends a *.doc attachment it won't open. If you copy it to the desktop or somewhere else, it opens fine. I did check default programs and Word is set to open .doc files Opening an attachment without saving it first is asking for trouble. Any editing you do to it won't be saved, since it's just sitting in a temporary folder that gets deleted when you exit Word. On Nov 21, 6:32=A0pm, tomg88 <tom...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have Word 2007 and when someone sends a =A0*.doc attachment it won't op= en. > If you...

form's won't open
i have a front half of a database that i use successfully at one pc (where the back-half is located). i've put the front half on other pc's and linked them over the network to the back-half successfully. at another store's location, i repeated this but had some problems. on the main pc, everything is fine but on another pc, the front half doesn't work at all. it's set up to open a launcher form at startup, which works, but all of the buttons on the launcher form don't do anything. either nothing at all happens, a new window opens for a brief second and then closes ...

Out of Office with default forwarding
I have a client running SBS 2003. Some of their staff have all their mail forwarded to an external mail account, but still want to enable the Out of Office Assistant when on leave. For some of these users with forwarded mail boxes the assistant works correctly, for other it will not work at all. I have compared the settings of users that it works for against those that it doesn't and can find no differences. Its almost as if for some users the forwarding rule executes before the Out of Office rule, for others the sequence is reversed. Any way of controlling this to make sure the Out...

Macro to open all files in one particular directory
Hi, I would like to be able to have a macro that would automatically open ALL the files in one particular directory. Say I have various directories, each with 10 files of different names: (the number of files in each directory can vary) C:\temp\200410\ C:\temp\200411\ C:\temp\200412\ In my file named OPENFILES.xls, in cell A1 of sheet1, I would like to input the directory name (say 200411), and then run a macro that would open each file of that particular directory, regardless of their name. I tried to record a macro, but it listed the individual files to open,. The problem is that the n...

Non-Delivery Reports for External email senders
My Exchange 2003 Server only sends NDRs to internal email senders. External email senders who mis-type email addresses get nothing delivered back. My Bad mail folder is empty but the mail queue is full with stuff trying to leave the server. How can I make the external mail servers get their non-deliverable reports. I have Recipient policy set to check users in active directory and enabled in the SMTP virtual server. Make sure everything is enabled, use this article as a reference. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294757 Nue "David A" <DavidA@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Can't send document to a CD in Pack and Go -- says "incorrect func
I am trying to pack and go, send to a commercial printer, etc, -- When I choose the "browse" and then choose the E (CD where I want to copy it) I get a window saying "incorrect function", followed by another window saying I need to contact the administrator as I don't have permission. I am the administrator and I have double checked this and clicked all the buttons (I think) giving me the permissions to do everything and since I am the only administrator this should do the trick -- but it doesn't. Originally this was my husbands computer -- but he is no l...

How to open .msg files
I got this problem where I got .msg files. I know it was in Outlook but I cant put it back in there. Does anyone know how to put a folder back into Outlook. Or how to open them without? Because I need my E-mails and I somehow cant open them. Thank You ...

Why does Excel hang up when trying to open files?
I have Office 2003 with Excel 2003 installed. When I try to open files from the peer-to-peer network, the program hangs up and will not go any further. At that point I have to shut it down. I can access the network with other programs including Word so I know it's not the network. Anybody have any ideas? ...

Lost addresses when converted from office to outlook
My computer came with a free 90 day preview of office. I put all my email addresses into it. When the office subscript ended, I was automatically converted to Outlook Express 6.0. However, none of my email address came with it. How do I transfer my email addresses from my former Offfice to my new Outlook Express? You can't. You would have to export them to a format OE can use, such as CSV. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28f8a01c464f5$df4cbd50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My computer came with a free 9...

Opening Attachments #5
I have used Outlook 2000 for three years without problems. Yesterday without apparent warning I now can't open Word documents attached to e-mail nor can I attach documents to outgoing e-mail. The error message I get is: "Can't create file: name.doc. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder." Does anyone have a solution for me?? thanks. ...

Office 2007 viewers for Mac
I am increasingly getting docx, xlsx and pptx files from colleagues but can't of course read them on the Mac. I read in the interview with the head of the MacBU @ Microsoft that viewers were coming but I haven't found anything since. Does anyone know any more? I believe most everyone expected to se the converters by now, but I'm afraid you know as much as any of us. The Mactopia site is the place to check periodically - I'm certain they will be posted for d/l there as soon as they are available. In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003 for...

Flagging email for follow up in inbox duplicates to do items
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap I'm new to Mac having migrated from a PC running Outlook. <br> In Entourage 2008, when I flag an email for follow-up to automatically add it to my to do list, I end up with 2 extra duplicate to dos. It appears this happens because the flagged email message is in my inbox, my starred mail folder and my all mail folder. I have a gmail account set-up as imap. <br> My question is how to filter my 'to do' list down so it populates my 'to do' item list from just o...

Junk eMail rule- way to use Contacts as Exceptions?
Is there a way to use everyone in Contacts as the Exception list- without having to add them one by one to the Exception list? Clearly- anyone in our Contacts would not be Junk senders- and not having to add people to the exception list would be cool... Thanks in advance! Yes you can. "John Noble" <bizzdevsans@spampacbell.net> wrote in message news:MfXOa.491$4H2.40321174@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com... > Is there a way to use everyone in Contacts as the Exception list- without > having to add them one by one to the Exception list? Clearly- anyone in our > Contact...

Automatic Email Address for "Notes"
Hi there - I have a user who regularly sends "notes" to a public folder and cc's me. I'm not sure what happened, but recently, when she types in the start of the e-mail/note address, she gets two names. They both then get hung up in the MTA and get bounced back to her. I was trying to delete the wrong one by highlighting it and it still didn't work. I retyped the correct SMTP address that I was able to find and when I use that, it works. But it still doesn't seem to resolve itself. Does it make a difference if she is using Word as an editor?? I know t...

Outlook 2000 SP3
1. How to correct spelling of name left in brackets to indicate change in forwarded text? 2. Can I turn this off? Try again please. I'm sure there is a question in here somewhere. Provide sufficient detail for us to discern what it might be. Please keep in mind that we can't read your mind. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "ddddd" <ddddd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6041BFB2-A0DE-49DB-8FD4-009C8D02DDB9@microsoft.com... > 1. How to correct spelling of name left in brackets to indicate change > in > forwarded text? > 2. Can I t...

Cannot forward an email from a newsgroup in Outlook Express...
I use Outlook express as my news viewer. We use Outlook in our company as our default mail client - so Outlook is configured as my default mail app.. I want to forward an email from one of the news groups to a co-worker but when I click on forward in Outlook Express, the following error is displayed... "You don't have a simple MAPI compatible mailer installed. Micorosoft Outlook Express News cannot mail this message without a compatible mailer." Why can't it use Outlook (general) to do this? What do I need to do in order to be able to forward? I can "reply to gro...

Manually Open Reminders Window
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if someone knows a way of manually opening the REMINDERS window. Mostly when I start outlook I got something to do so I just click on the CROSS on the reminders window then later when I want to look at the reminders and attend to them, the only way I know to open it is by CLOSING out of OUTLOOK and re logging in and that is a painful process. I was wondering if there was a way of opening the reminders window without having to close and open outlook. Thanks. Did you try the View | Reminders Window command?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author ...

how to obtain unreleased office hot fixes
Does anyone know what the procedure for requesting Office 2003 hot fixes that are not yet available through the office update site? Thanks in advance. Roy Roy Do you have a particular fix in mind? I think they will be released to WU within days of completion, so, apart from affected external vendors, I would doubt there are pre-releases -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS <roybrew@att.net> wrote in message news:1115659768.839771.148710@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know what the procedure for re...

[ANN] Office 12.0.1 Updater Now Available via AutoUpdte
In case there are some who don't have the AutoUpdate set to check automatically, the new 12.0.1 updater is now in place. I just applied it myself & all appears to have gone as expected thus far. All apps About screen reflect the 12.0.1 nomenclature. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac In article <C401198A.35E35%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>, CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote: > In case there are some who don't have the AutoUpdate set to check > automatically, the new 12.0.1 updater is now in place. I just applied it > myself & all ...

Word 2007: Create a referenced date control with a default date
I am trying to do the following for a client: A template for a letter has a locked (grouped, but not protected) section on the first page containing content controls for name, address and date. On the following pages there is a header with REF fields referencing bookmarks around the content controls on the first page. This works fine for copying the data to the header. Now I want a default date in the date control on the first page, so I add a CREATEDDATE field inside the control. This gets filled in automatically when the document is generated, and the user can change the d...

Show/hide is showing although the button isn't selected- word 2007
I cant get rid of the show/hide option even though the button isn't selected. Does anyone know how to fix it? I have tried shutting down the computer but it hasn't helped. This isn't a problem for other account users on this computer. Thanks, Bec The Show/Hide ¶ button toggles the display between showing ALL nonprinting characters (formatting marks) and those that are specifically selected in Tools | Options | View or Office Button | Word Options | Display. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvp...

Word Excel and PowerPoint quit after saving
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Just upgraded to Snow Leopard. Everytime I save a document in Word, Excel or PowerPoint they will unexpectedly quit. HELP! ...

Cant link Contacts to outgoing email
please help. I recently loaded Office XP on my Window XP OS. My palm address book is now in synch with MS Office contacts. I also have my school email linked to MS office. However, when I try to send an outgoing email and click on "TO" I can only seem to access my school's email contacts. I can not access any of my entries that I have in my Outlook contacts (which I had dowloaded from palm). Please help. If you created a new contact subfolder under Contacts in Outlook for your imports, you have to tell it to be available as an address book. In the "Folder Li...

Link update window opens on opening a linked Excel file
I have recently transferred my Office 97 applications to a new computer running under XP. Since the transfer, whenever I open a file which has links to another file, a window opens saying:"The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information in another workbook. Do you want to update this workbook with changes made to the other workbook? To update all linked information, click Yes. To keep the existing information, click No." The Automatic link update radio button accessed via Edit/Links is set (and the Manual radio button is greyed out). I have removed and then ...

How do I open a com port using Excel visual basic
Has anybody got any code that would help me ...